Man City v Saints - Full time chat

JustMike

A couple of quick points.

1 - There are not many times I can recall Saints going to Old Trafford or the home of the current league champions whoever they were at that time, and playing that well. There were a few big results, like the 3-3 at OT (Taibi, Pahars nutmeg on Stam) but rarely a performance which showed such promise. Yes we need to improve our defending, but we knew that already. A very promising start.

2 - A criticism of our team in the past two years has been lack of pace, both individually and collectively. We've often commented about teams hitting us on the break and us not having the pace to do the same to others. Dare I mention it, the Pompey 4-1 cup defeat a few years ago was a painful example. And then we go and score a goal like our second today. The MOTD2 summary was spot on and it was great to see... that kind of weapon is important and if we can exploit it a few times, it'll serve us well. Add some additional pace and skill to our attacking armoury and it can be even better. Great finish too.

3 - Danny Fox's header for the third was a bit awful... but there's no way he meant to do that and I wonder if it was the flight of the ball that caught him out or he slipped... not sure but he's been in that position many times and done the right thing so today was a bit of an anomaly. I don't believe he was as bad as some are making out and he clearly can play better. Clearly number 3 has been left vacant so that's as big a clue as any to a possible addition in that position but Fox will still be a key part of the squad I have no doubt.

Well played boys, few if any of us expected anything other than defeat, but what we got from today was worth more than points in many respects... it gave us some belief that actually we do belong in this league, we can compete, and god help anyone who underestimates us, our own fans included.

I was having a chat yesterday when out; I stated that there definitely isn't one Saints player that would get in the Man city first choice side. Added to that, its debatable whether one of ours would actually usurp any of their next 11 best players.

Just seen On MOTD2 the Citeh boss moaning that they haven't really signed anyone and he needs more players then they showed Citehs second string 11 and it has still got to be one of the best teams in PL. Just highlights how well we did to give them a game really.

That was magnificent, not sure how it came across on Sky but in the ground we dominated the City fans. Performance wise was incredible, silky passing despite being under real pressure at times. Highlights, Clyne not being outpaced by Aguero and putting in a top class challenge, Morgan stepping up with ease and oozing class, Lallana with silky skills and Lambert proving all the morons in the media who said he may struggle very very wrong. Best moment however had to be Ward Prowse going toe toe with Toure emerging with the ball and dribbling past him, Academy v 200k a week. Few Defensive errors but they are inevitable against a team of that class.

All the City fans afterwards were very complimentary and if we play like that all season there is no way we will go down.

Probably my one and only game this season and it was a blast. Fantastic eruption of emotion especially when the second went in. Nice stadium - smaller than I was expecting, especially quiet home fans IMO. Enjoyed our ****take Poznan.

I want more... :cry:

Back from the game - those two goals were (almost) worth the ticket price. Long time since I've celebrated goals like that. Very proud with the commitment and sensed the confidence oozing into our play as the game went on, particularly so after we went 3-2 down.

Still, the fact remains we lost and gutting that the goals we conceded were so scrappy, especially given their other chances.

Adkins has rightly banged on about a winning mentality. But today it felt as if we didn't quite believe in ourselves - obviously that has to do with the quality of Man C; but perhaps also with being in the premiership. Talking about spirited performances while losing, as if we're still pinching ourselves that we can mix it with the big boys, is fine for now; but ultimately, its a bad habit. We need a Leeds type result sooner rather than later. A bit more prem experience in the team, mixing the emphasis on youth, would also help.

Regards the formation, got the sense that Jrod started up top and then switched with Guly after 10 or so mins. We also switched formation after Lambert and Davis came on, Lallana taking up a wider position- and we looked more comfortable without seemingly sacrificing any discipline and compactness. Guly was very good when he moved to the no.10 role. I understand the decision for leaving Lambert out -and the game vindicated NA's decision in some respects- but I don't know if it was the correct one.

Thought JWP had a decent league debut but is clearly not quite ready - Davis was excellent when he came on. From Adkins post-match comments -praising JWP for his endeavour and bigging up his contribution- you can tell that he's clearing the way for Davis. Tricky one for JWP and his long-term development as he could make real strides with more game time but I don't think we can afford it -and he's not really an impact sub in the Oxo/Walcott mould either.

We're lacking in wide areas. Punch isnt quite able to make things happen on his own and beat a man. Still, he put in an excellent defensive shift (fantastic how he tracked Clichy) and was a key reason why our right hand was solid. The arrival of Phillips and Ramirez -assuming they happen- should address this and hopefully mean that Lallana can move back to the left.

Apart from a 10 min spell in the 2nd half, thought the City fans were poor and doing a good impression of Old Trafford. Btw, how many fans did we bring. It was pretty empty in the lower tier, though I assume it was full in the upper tier.

Edited by shurlock

SO SO Proud of the lads after the game, still absolutely beaming with pride now.

Gave the champions a run for their money in their own back yard.

So pleased for Rickie getting off the mark in the Prem, He's been waiting 12 years to get the chance to score that goal today. I know we lost eventually but most teams are gonna get spanked 2/3/4-nil by City at the Etihad so I think we did bloody f'ing well.

the overall responsive was a real feeling of pride. Of course according to the form book and every forecaster we had no chance, but we took the two genuine chances we had and gave City a run for their money,

all £400 million of it. To see the amount of domination and possession that MC had was a shock but no surprise but having watched Chelsea win the CL Final in May, against superior opposition it was one day when I wouldn't have minded a penalty shoot-out to settle the game.

We might have had a penalty ourselves, but Jos' clumsy tackle looked worse with Tevez's spectacular fall. Kelvin has faced harder shots from the Academy lads in training.. so justice was done in the end.

Another linesman might have given Tevez offside, but once again Fonte was very slow to react and CT had loads of time to score. Their 3rd /4th goals were both preventable..not clearing from a set piece is a crime and Fox headed straight back into Samri's path.

Overall, I was very pleased to see a good performance -even if it was backs to the wall for much of the time. However, It did highlight the weakness in our defence.

We may be creative and even score some goals this season, but we can't afford to leak in goals like that every week. Two new CB's....for safety sake Nigel. please.

Edited by david in sweden

Dared to think we could come away with a point at one stage but nonetheless, was proud of the boys.

Clyne MOTM for me closely followed by Jose - For one who has had his doubters before the season he answered those critics yesterday IMO.

Their 4th goal David??

The morning after feeling.

Guly still my MoM, alone up front dragging everyone around - for the first 10 minutes or so it worked a treat, JRod got involved lots of nice passing play in and around their box, and we had a couple of shots (off target) but tbh we were surprised we didn't think we'd even get one off.

Our highlight was Guly skinning Kompany for pace and getting hauled back - more of a how the hell did he do that.

Then they got into it, JRod is back on the edge of his own box making last ditch tackles and it's like watching Rorkes Drift - Disciplined all hands to the pumps defending.

Felt Rickie should have come on at HT but Nige left it a bit longer.

And omce he came on you could almost SEE a change in the mindset of the players, it was almost as if they had a (small) injection of belief. YEs we know the positive mind set, but us fans didn't BELIEVE we could go there and play - we HOPED we could go there and play.

When Rickie came on the players suddenly seemed to believe as well. Rickie's build up play skills - touches lay offs and headers and suddenly Citeh were the ones with 10 men behind the ball and hanging on.

The Citeh fans in the pub were shouting at them to get out, the neutrals were saying WTF and then bang.

It wasn't JUST that Rickie buried it it was that he TRIED to lay it off to a player in a better position FIRST before placing it.

Reactions from us lot were nuts - but were still of the WE'VE SCORED AT CITEH variety.

Then on comes Davis. Oh we're bringing on a DM there goes any chance of going on to win the match then...

BANG!

Stupid loopey screaming dancing YOU ARE KIDDING ME reactions all round. Hell even a blast of you're not singing anymore to the Citeh lads.

We all knew we wouldn't hold on but we tried bloody hard. I don't blame Fox, he was off balance, he had two players behind him and didn't make the connection he wanted. No blame from this game.

We served up a cracker of a match. EVERYONE in the build up on TV was expecting a dull walk over.

The summary at the end was "Epic Start" to our PL Coverage. And so many comments from Journos & other PL fans on Twitter last night.

And of course - OK so we didn't sell out (50 quid a pop for a televised game after the L1 & NpC years will take some getting used to) but those who went - what a great noise you all made - well done

This was the weekend when the Premier League empire struck back against those who decried it as a soulless sporting show.

This was the match that paraded the Premier League at its breathless, competitive best, especially in the second period when the drama jumped from end to end.

Southampton left the home of the champions without any points but with hearts filled with pride and hope.

The Premier League newcomers know that they gave Manchester City a real scare, that their academy has nurtured another prospect in the composed, hard-working 17-year-old James Ward-Prowse and that they can survive at this level if they continue to play with as much belief and counter-attacking power.

But Southampton must start Rickie Lambert, who gave them a real cutting edge when he arrived on 55 minutes.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/9477943/Manchester-City-3-Southampton-2-match-report.html

Henry Winter

Morning after - not going to take anything away from what was great performance given that it was what 200mil v 14 mil of talent blah blah... and it was the first game at this level for nearly all of our lads...but... what made me most positive was not the performance, but Nigel's attitude towards it - dissapointed we did not get points - that IS afterall what it is all about if we want to compete at this level - accepting we have 'no chance' or being satisfied with a 'plucky' yet ultimately null point is not the mark of a club determined to progress and progress as rapidly as possible.

It may sound harsh, and I am as proud of the lads as anyone, and if we are happy being small time/perenial relegation candidates, 'knowing our place' then this is all fine. But we are not..are we? Dont think NC is and certainly any club looking to spend a good part of 20mil euros on one player should not be happy with that. I know its early days, against the champions etc, but when we stood up to them toe to toe at 2-2, we finally had the confidence to play and show what we are capable of - the reality is on any other day, given the pocession and chances City had, they could have been 3 or 4 up by then.

Yes many say this year is about survival - Sorry I dont buy that - this year is about progressing as FAR as we can so that we can attract and hold on to the talent we need for a next step - incremental progression. Starting the season being satisfied with survival sends the wrong message - its defeatist and wont help in getting teh quality signings we are after.

Great attitude and spirit shown yesterday - but we should be diusspointed we got nothing from that or any away game. Nige is.

Just got back from a weekend away, had the game recorded on tv (oh the luxuries of being premier league!) and... What a f u cking game!

I watched it with a Southampton convert American friend who knows his 'soccer' and we were both extremely impressed.

I saw Heart. Professionalism. Skill. Enthusiasm.

The last 10 minutes were amazing as we pinned them back in their own half. I saw a team playing 'the Southampton way'. I'd seen it in league one and the championship, but to see it in the premier league in the very first game, away from home against the champions... Oh yes.

Oh, and Rickie, GET IN THERE MY SON!!!! Just carry on where you left off mate!

The only dampener was finding out about Tony Scott halfway through watching the game, an absolute tragedy.

R.I.P and C.O.Y.R

Saved a penalty, made half a dozen excellent saves, and yet was poor!!! (rolly eyed thingy)

We really do have some people/trolls on here with an agenda.

There are the anti-Kelvin brigade - the anti-Guly goons - the Cortese is the son of Satan lunatics - the Adkins and his backroom staff will underestimate the opposition be found out to be totally inexperienced and incompetent at this level idiots (or was that last season?) - etc, etc.

Now, I have always been far more of a reader than poster on here but have always been a fully paid up member. This year I didn't realise it was payment time until too late. I am now seriously considering not bothering to pay up as if I am restricted to only 3 posts per day maybe I won't waste so much of my time on here - reading such prejudiced bollix based purely on pre-determined beliefs about certain players and not on how they actually perform!!!!!

Well said Minsk...

Some people will say a player is crap just because they have said it before and are not man enough to admit they were wrong,

either that or they do not have a clue about football...not sure which tbh...

Well said Minsk...

Some people will say a player is crap just because they have said it before and are not man enough to admit they were wrong,

either that or they do not have a clue about football...not sure which tbh...

Well I never said Kelvin is crap, just that he was poor, ie. he could've done better. I watched the game again and I never saw him make 'half a dozen excellent saves'. He was beaten at his near post which shouldn't really happen but it happens to better keepers generally cos they think the striker is gonna shoot across goal, so in that sense it was a cute finish from Tevez.

Still reckon it was offside though.

Saved a penalty, made half a dozen excellent saves, and yet was poor!!! (rolly eyed thingy)

We really do have some people/trolls on here with an agenda.

There are the anti-Kelvin brigade - the anti-Guly goons - the Cortese is the son of Satan lunatics - the Adkins and his backroom staff will underestimate the opposition be found out to be totally inexperienced and incompetent at this level idiots (or was that last season?) - etc, etc.

Now, I have always been far more of a reader than poster on here but have always been a fully paid up member. This year I didn't realise it was payment time until too late. I am now seriously considering not bothering to pay up as if I am restricted to only 3 posts per day maybe I won't waste so much of my time on here - reading such prejudiced bollix based purely on pre-determined beliefs about certain players and not on how they actually perform!!!!!

Calm down Minsk. You will see that I have been a member since 2007 with less then 200 posts, so hardly a troll or someone with an agenda. As far as I know I have never upset anyone on here as yet - you might be the first :-) I am not saying Kelvin is useless, as I said I hope it was a once off. Yes he saved a penalty, but come on anyone (including me) could have saved the poorest pen I have seen in a long time, and most of his saves were pushed back out to the City forwards.

The build up to this season on here has been about having previous Prem experience as key to our success (more so than youngsters with potential), and one of our most experienced Prem players IMHO failed us today - which as I said is hopefully a bad day at the office (which we all have).

Couldnt believe how bad Howard Webb was yesterday. Had his head stuck up Citeh's arse the whole day

Even their fans on Twitter were saying he was their MOTM!

Sky cameras in the tunnel showed him laughing and joking with Joe Hart et al whilst waiting for Saints - this cosying up with players is often part of the problem... Actually think Webb is one of the better ones, but when you blur the barriers always going to be a challenge to be totally balanced... does not help either that refs reports include manager evaluation - where the likes of the Fergie, Mancini etc reporting negatively on ref performance is likely to have a greater impact than a nige - 'what with tehir experience and status in the game'...

Webb has become a celebrity big club games referee. Maybe he needs to referee a lot more lower and middle table games. Rodriguez was poleaxed inside the area. The player played the ball but clobbered Rodriguez with his uncontrolled follow through. Anywhere on the field but MC's penalty area it was a bolted on foul. Bloody poor refereeing.

We need a first class keeper. Davis deserves a chance but he just doesn't look the answer especially when we will have lots of games where we will get pressurised. Fox is a decent player with a fatal flaw he ball watches and rarely checks over his shoulder. He lost sight of his man and the header was desperation as he stumbled. His mark was ten yards away he had loads of time and could have let it go.

Hard working gutsy performance under the cosh from a dominant skilful team. We need to upgrade some more positions now, a few in January and more next summer to build a really competitive team.

Adkins has rightly banged on about a winning mentality. But today it felt as if we didn't quite believe in ourselves - obviously that has to do with the quality of Man C; but perhaps also with being in the premiership. Talking about spirited performances while losing, as if we're still pinching ourselves that we can mix it with the big boys, is fine for now; but ultimately, its a bad habit.

Good points here I feel. I think we started very confidently but the break for Aguero's injury seemed to take the wind out of our sales. I also think that Lambert's importance to our all round play is sometimes overlooked. While Guly did great we missed Lambert's ability to bring others into play and link midfield with attack. I also think Lallana was too deep to effect play where he does so best. Still it's a learning process for the players and Adkins and I believe we'll get it right sooner rather than later. The overall performance should give us the confidence to believe we can mix it with anyone now.

Adkins' post match reaction shows he was immensely proud of the team but equally upset at not taking something from the game and that attitude of wanting something from every game will stand us in good stead over the season.

Looking back at the match I am unwilling to be too hard on anyone. As I've said before I felt Kelvin wasnt too assured and Fox obviously made mistakes but I think that can be put down to a general lack of support and being out on his feet due to being double teamed for much of the match. The biggest concern for me is still the balance in midfield. I thought Morgan looked well off the pace at times and considering many call him our defensive mid, he spent a decent amount of time on the edge of the opposition box. For me he ain't a defensive mid, he's more of a deep lying playmaker, our Carrick if you like. I think he needs a Frimpong type player to do the dirty work. Watch the passage of play from the second half where Punch had the chance and then Balotelli missed a sitter. Morgan is turned inside out on the edge of their box by Toure, once beaten there were no midfielders between him and our defence. Any defence is gonna look shaky in that position but on the whole the centre backs were great yesterday. No worse than some of those at much bigger clubs.

Brilliant from the lads, so proud of them. Will have to defend better, the first one was more about a great through ball than a failed offside trap but the second was silly and Fox needs to look around him more for the third but Nigel will be covering that in his debrief I'd imagine and this squad do learn from mistakes unlike their predecessors from before 2009 up to when WGS left.

So many positives though - JWP's composure on his league debut, brave CB, Clyne's quick thinking, Punch and Guly did well, the latter making runs that City CBs did not like one bit, Davis and Lambert were superb when they came on and Adam was brilliant, he'll shine at this level. Morgan had some good moments but will carry on developing. If we can get Ramirz/Phillips and 2 CBs in, we are going to really enjoy this season. Moreover, if JWP can come in and play like that in a place like that on league debut, Shaw may do the same if Fox gets a ban or an injury.

Fox is a decent player with a fatal flaw he ball watches and rarely checks over his shoulder. He lost sight of his man and the header was desperation as he stumbled. His mark was ten yards away he had loads of time and could have let it go out.

Not so sure about the last bit, I think the ball was curling back in and may have reached Zabaleta or whoever it was coming in at the back post. Also, looking at the highlights again this morning I think that due to the angle he was coming in at, Fox may have been worried about scoring an own goal and so tried to clear it but just wasn't in a position to do so.

He's cleared plenty of those before now and will clear plenty more in the future. He f*cked this one up. It will be looked at and discussed by Nigel. We'll never know exactly why, and unless he starts doing it regularly I don't think it's something we should be focusing on too heavily.

He's cleared plenty of those before now and will clear plenty more in the future. He f*cked this one up. It will be looked at and discussed by Nigel. We'll never know exactly why, and unless he starts doing it regularly I don't think it's something we should be focusing on too heavily.

This