Man City v Saints - Full time chat

JustMike

Yep. Didn't look bad from where we were.

Clearly was though.

I've read what they're saying and whilst I wouldn't mock an injured player myself, I can understand why some fans have a pop when they think someones feigning injury... and it's an easy mistake to make if you can't actually see how serious it is. However, they're being a bit precious on bluemoon about it...

This was an email I received from a friend who watched the game in South Africe .....

"They played very well. I am getting so many messages from friends who had never heard of them. Now they want to support them."

shows how some outsiders viewed the game. Oh my friend, she is from Southampton and is an arsol fan :-(

Back from the game. So chuffed with the match - in fits and starts we were total class - back where we belong! I've not sung and celebrated so hard in ages. Brilliant.

Kelvin - Did OK. Good saves. Not seen the replays but didn't look like he could've done anything about the goals - too close range?

Clyne - Great going forward, a little bit undone by his lack of height/physical presence

Fonte - Good but you get the feeling he's at his best - perhaps we could do better?

Hooiveld - Looks better every game. NEVER a pen in a million years. Couple of crucial foot-ins when they were shaping to shoot

Fox - Poor positioning and needed more time on the ball than he got. Shame we missed out on Buttner - I assume we're still looking

Puncheon - Is the guy unfit or just slooooowwwww? Never looked worth his place for more than 10 seconds at a time

Ward-Prowse - Occasionally overwhelmed but seems to have that quick football brain and can pick out a pass like Lallana. Maybe not quiiiite ready for the top sides.

Schneiderlin - Great player - looks more than capable of stepping up. Some great passes and lots of energy

Lallana - As usual his superb touch created space and chances for both himself and others, I only wish he'd shoot! Not sure he should be captain

Rodriguez - Whhhhyyyyyy is our record signing out on the left??? Wasted. He should've started up front, Puncheon on the left, Guly on the right. So obvious.

Guly - Well, he was Guly. The only Brazilian with the first touch of Carlton Palmer. Ran about a bit but never looked threatening and clearly needed more thinking time than he had - how many chances will he get? Not nearly Premiership material.

Lambert - Born for the Prem - who could have ever doubted it? If he was 2 or more years younger he'd be a shoe-in for England now, even playing for us.

S. Davis - Looks a great player. Really gave us some class in the middle when we were attacking

Sharp - Looked so much better than Guly when he came on - how can Nigel miss that?!

And we've still to see if Lee & Lambert will work as well in the Prem! Just a left-back and a centre half and dropping Puncheon & Guly from a top-half side.

We're back!!!

I've just re-read some of the posts on the 'Build Up' page. Funny how so many of you have changed your minds eg 'I'll go 3 - 0 to City' 'If we come awy with less than 5 I'll be happy' etc etc. My post 110 says quite clearly that I'm positive. After todays performance I'm even more positive. My only real concern is 'Why does Kelvin continue to let in near-post efforts?' Perhaps he really ought to do a bit more practice in this area. I'm quite looking forward to Wigan next Saturday and even more so against Manure the week after. Just hold onto the ball a little bit better and we'll be just fine.

Just got back from the cricket, watched the last minutes in the concourse. Some skate inbred went mental at the final whistle giving it the big 'come on city, done the scummas..' blah blah blah in my direction ( I had my Saints shirt on). Never has it felt so good to just smile at one of them and walk away:smug:

This was an email I received from a friend who watched the game in South Africe .....

"They played very well. I am getting so many messages from friends who had never heard of them. Now they want to support them."

shows how some outsiders viewed the game. Oh my friend, she is from Southampton and is an arsol fan :-(

Not a close friend then?

Back from the game. So chuffed with the match - in fits and starts we were total class - back where we belong! I've not sung and celebrated so hard in ages. Brilliant.

Kelvin - Did OK. Good saves. Not seen the replays but didn't look like he could've done anything about the goals - too close range?

Clyne - Great going forward, a little bit undone by his lack of height/physical presence

Fonte - Good but you get the feeling he's at his best - perhaps we could do better?

Hooiveld - Looks better every game. NEVER a pen in a million years. Couple of crucial foot-ins when they were shaping to shoot

Fox - Poor positioning and needed more time on the ball than he got. Shame we missed out on Buttner - I assume we're still looking

Puncheon - Is the guy unfit or just slooooowwwww? Never looked worth his place for more than 10 seconds at a time

Ward-Prowse - Occasionally overwhelmed but seems to have that quick football brain and can pick out a pass like Lallana. Maybe not quiiiite ready for the top sides.

Schneiderlin - Great player - looks more than capable of stepping up. Some great passes and lots of energy

Lallana - As usual his superb touch created space and chances for both himself and others, I only wish he'd shoot! Not sure he should be captain

Rodriguez - Whhhhyyyyyy is our record signing out on the left??? Wasted. He should've started up front, Puncheon on the left, Guly on the right. So obvious.

Guly - Well, he was Guly. The only Brazilian with the first touch of Carlton Palmer. Ran about a bit but never looked threatening and clearly needed more thinking time than he had - how many chances will he get? Not nearly Premiership material.

Lambert - Born for the Prem - who could have ever doubted it? If he was 2 or more years younger he'd be a shoe-in for England now, even playing for us.

S. Davis - Looks a great player. Really gave us some class in the middle when we were attacking

Sharp - Looked so much better than Guly when he came on - how can Nigel miss that?!

And we've still to see if Lee & Lambert will work as well in the Prem! Just a left-back and a centre half and dropping Puncheon & Guly from a top-half side.

We're back!!!

Were you facing the right way?

I am always amazed when anyone can write a player off when they have spent the best part of 80 mins defending against, Silva, Tevez, Aguero, Nasri, Toure, Balotelli...and did so very well in large parts and were dead on their feet.....just stunned how people can say.."he screwed up against nasri, so he is shyt"

fox, like all the players, put in a monumentous shift today and I think deserves to be judged after a few games rather than being written off against (and this is from adkins) the best forward line these players have collectively faced in their lives to date

If you could be bothered to actually read my post dulldays you would have noticed that I was not judging him on today's performance (alone). I watched him throughout last season and felt much the same against inferior opposition. He had some good games, but overall defensively he was often found wanting. But everyone put blinkers on and blamed the person in front of him for not providing adequate cover. Well now we have seen that he is the same whoever is in front of him, it is clear that he is not a great LB. Of course some of the dumb asses thought he was great because he replaced their pet scapegoat Dan Harding, well I know today that Harding would not have given away the 3rd goal (he may have screwed up elsewhere of course but thats not the point). As I said, it is quite clear that Fox is on borrowed time, there is a very good reason why the #3 shirt has not been taken and why we have been trying to sign a better LB. Unlike some I do not write off players after one performance, I take a longer term view, and based on that look at who is not up to the mark. By the way I also think Kelvin is not the answer for the GK position, but that's not based on one game either, just in case you think it is.

I was chuffed watching JWP, only a nipper but oozes class.

Still have Cork & Lee to come into the side as well!

Yep, don't forget about Lee. In this formation he'd be electric.

Also agree about JWP, the top awaits him. With us I hope.

Games against Man City wont ensure our success this term , so cant be dissapointed with coming away empty handed. We must take all the positives from this performance into games like next week which will be our bread and butter this season.

Think today showed we could still do with a couple of experienced defenders to come in, but overall great stuff.

Got the result I was expecting but we a least made Citeh fight for the win.

Plus points -much better performance than I was expecting players gave it everything

we look pretty good going forward we will score goals this season

negatives - we didn't get any points (and points win prizes)

we might leak a lot of goals (though hopefully we won't meet to many attacks that good)

Out of interest does anybody know how much Citehs team cost...I think one or two of thier players probably cost more than our whole team. All in all encoraging signs.

Just got back home, what a great match even though we lost.

Don't think I have ever celebrated our 2nd goal like I did, voice totally gone as well.

Thought Clyne had a great game and two great subs to bring on Rickie and Davis.

Shame we couldn't hold on in the end.

Out of interest does anybody know how much Citehs team cost...I think one or two of thier players probably cost more than our whole team. All in all encoraging signs.

Hart - 300k

Clichy - 15m

Kompany - 7m

Lescott - 20m

Zabaleta - 7m

Nasri - 18m

Rodwell - 15m

Toure - 28m

Silva - 28m

Tevez - 35m

Auguro - 35m

subs - Dzeko - 30m

Balotelli - 32m

Kolerov - 18m

around 288.3m

As I posted on another thread, I feel Kelvin was the poorest Saints player today and seemed really unsure, which maybe affected the rest of the team. Really poor game and did not inject any confidence in the defence. Hope it's just a once off.

As I posted on another thread, I feel Kelvin was the poorest Saints player today and seemed really unsure, which maybe affected the rest of the team. Really poor game and did not inject any confidence in the defence. Hope it's just a once off.

Yep, kelvin was poor today. He parried a shot back into the danger area when it would have been just as easy to parry it wide or even out for a corner.

His distribution was poor too.

Saved a penalty, made half a dozen excellent saves, and yet was poor!!! (rolly eyed thingy)

We really do have some people/trolls on here with an agenda.

There are the anti-Kelvin brigade - the anti-Guly goons - the Cortese is the son of Satan lunatics - the Adkins and his backroom staff will underestimate the opposition be found out to be totally inexperienced and incompetent at this level idiots (or was that last season?) - etc, etc.

Now, I have always been far more of a reader than poster on here but have always been a fully paid up member. This year I didn't realise it was payment time until too late. I am now seriously considering not bothering to pay up as if I am restricted to only 3 posts per day maybe I won't waste so much of my time on here - reading such prejudiced bollix based purely on pre-determined beliefs about certain players and not on how they actually perform!!!!!

Saved a penalty, made half a dozen excellent saves, and yet was poor!!! (rolly eyed thingy)

There are the anti-Kelvin brigade - the anti-Guly goons - the Cortese is the son of Satan lunatics - the Adkins and his backroom staff will underestimate the opposition be found out to be totally inexperienced and incompetent at this level idiots (or was that last season?) - etc, etc.

Now, I have always been far more of a reader than poster on here but have always been a fully paid up member. This year I didn't realise it was payment time until too late. I am now seriously considering not bothering to pay up as if I am restricted to only 3 posts per day maybe I won't waste so much of my time on here - reading such prejudiced bollix based purely on pre-determined beliefs about certain players and not on how they actually perform!!!!!

TBF my Grannie could have saved that penalty!

Hart - 300k

Clichy - 15m

Kompany - 7m

Lescott - 20m

Zabaleta - 7m

Nasri - 18m

Rodwell - 15m

Toure - 28m

Silva - 28m

Tevez - 35m

Auguro - 35m

subs - Dzeko - 30m

Balotelli - 32m

Kolerov - 18m

around 288.3m

Thanks. That is ****ing mad 70 million on the bench

Minsk, I do not have pre determined beliefs and, for the record, I'm not anti Guly. I'm a big supporter of Kelvin and credit to him for his loyalty to the club. He deserves his chance in the PL.

I just feel that he was below par today and for him that's poor. Let's be fair, the penalty was awful, an easy save. I don't recall many great saves myself, but I'm about to watch it again. Happy to be proved wrong.

Just my opinion, but please, I don't slag off players for no reason. I give my honest opinion based on what I saw.

Dry your eyes FFS. Its a message board and people have opinions, which may be different to yours. Agendas; bloody hell, how paranoid do you want to be?

I'm sure you'll be massively missed if you choose not to post too often.

Thanks. That is ****ing mad 70 million on the bench

I was having a chat yesterday when out; I stated that there definitely isn't one Saints player that would get in the Man city first choice side. Added to that, its debatable whether one of ours would actually usurp any of their next 11 best players.

Saw it on the telly. Liked our intelligent way of defending (for the most part) and the fact that our midfield had an average age of 21 and no caps vs MC's midfield of you work it out. J Rod reminds me of MLT in that he just occasionally gets involved and does something intelligent though of course there is a bit of a skill difference. And for those slating the attack, MC did have about 65% of the ball so they weren't doing much in an attacking sense, were they?

Like many have said here: a couple of signings, keep up the standard of football - which they will actually improve on - and we'll be the ones to watch.

I was having a chat yesterday when out; I stated that there definitely isn't one Saints player that would get in the Man city first choice side. Added to that, its debatable whether one of ours would actually usurp any of their next 11 best players.

I'd rather have Schneiderlin than Rodwell defo and Clyne possibly over Zabaleta, but that's it, surely. Then again, I'd rather have 11 players 100% committed to the cause as opposed to going through the motions and on £200k a week.

Just getting home now. Decent weekend away, made completely worthwhile for those 2 goal celebrations alone. Came away from the game with mixed feelings, frustrating we came close to get something, (think a bit more belief and/or composure at times), but also proud of the effort & application from the lads, gave it a proper go.

Gotta say, I also think Kelv deserves a chance after his loyalty and displays over the past three seasons. However I do feel he was a bit shaky at times. And I think any keeper that didn't save that pen would have been rightly embarrassed!