Everton build up thread

Bad Wolf

Wigan won't catch us, a draw helps keep Sunderland in touch. All about catching as many mid table teams as possible, looking up not down. :)

So what if they win and we lose on Monday?

They would have caught us, but for goal difference.

So what if they win and we lose on Monday?

They would have caught us, but for goal difference.

That isn't catching us then is it.

Since the beginning of November we have had a far better record than any of the other teams in the bottom 6. We are pulling away from teams in the bottom 6 and catching those from 11th to 14th, it is those teams we want to drop points now.

How many Wigan players do you think would get in a Saints best XI of...

Boruc

Clyne

Shaw

Forren

Yoshida/Fonte

Cork

Schneiderlin

Ramirez

Lallana

Puncheon

Lambert

Edited by Matthew Le God

Sunderland are not very likely to go down.

Wigan are quite possibly going to go down.

I would rather keep Wigan below us that worry about being ahead of Sunderland.

As Digsy says - if we happen to overtake them then great - but we have to want all the team currently below us to get as few points as possible - that way they cannot overtake us.

Since the beginning of November we have had a far better record than any of the other teams in the bottom 6. We are pulling away from teams in the bottom 6 and catching those from 11th to 14th, it is those teams we want to drop points now.

Boruc

Clyne

Shaw

Forren

Yoshida/Fonte

Cork

Schneiderlin

Ramirez

Lallana

Puncheon

Lambert

It doesn't make a difference man for man if we have the better team. All that matters is results. Despite our recent results I'm sure most people would be delighted if we finish 17th. I would much rather Wigan, Reading and QPR lose every game this season as it guarantees our survival which is vitally important this season.

Boruc

Clyne

Shaw

Forren

Yoshida/Fonte

Cork

Schneiderlin

Ramirez

Lallana

Puncheon

Lambert

Nobody said anything about the team, you just went into that much detail because you said something that was jumping the gun.

so, if we get dicked by man united and man city...and then lose at wigan...then what..?

**** happens, we go and win the next games. In this league, we don't need to win them all. 18 points from 16 games will sit us nicely on 40 points and it's very much achievable. Even if it comes down to the last day, our final game is a very winnable home tie against Stoke, so no need to get the noose out early!

Back to Everton. For me, same team that started last night, but with Gaston in for Davis for a more expansive outlook from the start. Lambert coming off the bench was really effective last night as it was on the opening day and it's something I'd like to see ss do more often.

**** happens, we go and win the next games. In this league, we don't need to win them all. 18 points from 16 games will sit us nicely on 40 points and it's very much achievable. Even if it comes down to the last day, our final game is a very winnable home tie against Stoke, so no need to get the noose out early!

Back to Everton. For me, same team that started last night, but with Gaston in for Davis for a more expansive outlook from the start. Lambert coming off the bench was really effective last night as it was on the opening day and it's something I'd like to see ss do more often.

No chance, Lambert has to start, especially at home.

No chance, Lambert has to start, especially at home.

Why though? Solves the Guly/Ramirez issue and the 442/4231 issue and gives us a powerhouse to bring on to change the game. Not the worst plan by a long chalk.

Because he scores goals. More goals than anyone else we have. I agree with Appy that at home he needs to be starting.

Lambert starts for me. When we played there we went and played with essentially 5 up front. Was it Ramirez's first start? Seem to remember us playing Lambert and J-Rod pretty wide up front (think it was to counteract their attacking full backs), with Ramirez in a bit of a false 9 position centrally. and then Lallana left wing and Puncheon right wing. The most naive point of the season IMO.

We're a lot more rigid now, but without losing too much of that flair. Would expect Lambert to start instead of J-Rod - although wouldn't be surprised if we went 442 with Ramirez left again.

Think this will be a 4-4-2 to match Everton.

Boruc

Clyne Yoshida Jos Shaw

Puncheon Cork Schneiderlin Guly

Rodriguez Lambert

It's hard to disagree with that. This is a 442 game, a bit like Stoke away. We need to take the game to them.

Feeling good about this one. 3-1 to us.

we will certainly have a captain involved yes. Whether that will be Ricky or Morgan I wouldn't hazard a guess. Certainly won't be Lallana.

Fine if you're going to be a boring pedant.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Adam Lallana involved on Monday.

After recent performances it is easy to believe we should get something from this game but Everton are a tough and resilient side and a bit like us of late only better at it. If they still have Fellini on Monday he'll be a handful for whoever starts at CB. It could be dour and end 0-0 but one bit of luck and goal may be enough and it could fall either way.

So 0-0 but my worry beads suggest 0-1. They'll be tough to beat.

Probably makes more sense to be pro-active than reactive in professional football. If you've signed a new CB who is coming to compete with your two first choice centre backs then you'd assume, providing his fitness levels are fine, that he'd be picked over your current third choice.

Not as easy as you make it sound. It will take a few weeks in training to get that vital understanding at the back between any newcomer and our regulars which has taken most of this season to sort out. Holding the lines has been key and Forren won't be ready to assume a pivotal role until he has been conditioned in our way of playing. He'll be on the bench if Jose is still nursing his hangover - sorry, knee injury - otherwise will have to sit and watch and learn.

CB's are rarely match winners but can be game losers and as Nigel says so often but less so at the moment, we'll control the controllables but Forren is unknown and therefore uncontrollable at the moment.

I think you are just a wind up merchant.. Lamber ton the bench.. u really don't understand football do you

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21063979

Southampton's draw against Chelsea after being 2-0 down was an outstanding result and they have moved on from where they were at the start of the season, which was a team who you felt were sometimes a little in awe of their opponents.

That is through a combination of gaining some experience in the Premier League, some better results and gaining more and more confidence.

The Saints are unbeaten in five league games and they now know that, on a good day, they can be a threat.

I am so pleased for their manager Nigel Adkins because earlier in the season I think he was only a couple of defeats away from the sack. I am glad they stuck with him, and he is getting it right.

But they are up against an Everton team that just does not lose many games.

Yes, they were held by Swansea last weekend, but it was another "winning" draw, where they were the better team but just lacked a bit of cuteness in that final third.

Everton are a team who fight and snarl for the points when they have to. Southampton need to be even more competitive than them to beat them, which will be extremely difficult.

Lawro's prediction: 0-2

Edited by trousers

I've done a little Q&A piece for a Bluenose mate of mine who runs a fansite - feel free to give any feedback (good or bad) here or on the Comments part, Gary's always after comments on there :smug:

http://www.thegwladysstreetpreacher.com/2013/01/17/the-opposition-view-southampton/

Excellent piece Globes, unbiased and articulate, you should do it more often !

Get your wallets out and empty it all on an Everton win.

If I was one of our players I'd be gutted and not the least bit focussed on this game now.

And the flak that the crowd will inevitably give Cortese and the new manager will add to the 'problem'....