Everton build up thread

Bad Wolf

Far from being insane, he's making complex and difficult decisions in order for the club to succeed. Like him or loath him, insane he is not. On this basis I have amended your song for you, however I'm not convinced it works as a football chant, so I think we should just get behind the team instead? :rolleyes:

I always get behind the team but C--tese is insane - The EPL is the hardest league in the world and we were doing well after a shaky start. 2-2 at Chelsea, 1-1 against arsenal - hardly a failure.2 defeats in 12 games - not a FAILURE.

What to do about Monday?

Stay away to show Cortese we are fed up with his dictatorial approach in a mass boycott?

or

Turn up and boo the barsteward endlessly and sing for NIGEL throughout the game?

What to do lads?

Support the team, hate C--tese

What to do about Monday?

Stay away to show Cortese we are fed up with his dictatorial approach in a mass boycott?

or

Turn up and boo the barsteward endlessly and sing for NIGEL throughout the game?

What to do lads?

Or the most sensible option...

Turn up, support the team and create a positive atmosphere for a vital home game.

What to do about Monday?

or

What to do lads?

We might listen to and take Luke Shaw on his words...??

What to do about Monday?

or

What to do lads?

Or get behind the team I have supported for 47 years rather than boo some twxt who has only been around for 3 years and is not bigger than OUR club!

Or the most sensible option...

Turn up, support the team and create a positive atmosphere for a vital home game.

However upset we may be and however badly we believe Nigel has been treated, this is the sensible option! Neither the players or the new Manager had any input whatsoever in Cortese's decison! Not supporting the team to somehow get back at Cortese is no more than shooting ourselves in the foot! We are where we are whether we like it or not!

So do we know anything of how Pochettino likes to play? I have read a few articles that talks about pressing high up the pitch and playing possession football, but do we have any idea of formation or anything like that?

He has said he has seen us for a few weeks so I'll be interested to see whether he looks to keep the players with what they are familiar with and phase in his ideas slowly or whether his ethos requires complete change at the start.

Just totted up the available seats and it looks like there's still 2,939 tickets available for the game.

So the attendance should be 28,804 which will be pretty decent for a Monday Night game I think, although would be great to see St. Mary's full.

Reckon we'll sell another 1,000+ on walk-up?

Despite a lifelong dislike of Everton for that cheating git Adrian heath doing us out of an f a cup final place, they are a perfect example of how you can achieve success with stability and having faith in a manager from the lower leagues who is given a chance to learn his trade at the highest level. Limited funds influences what they can do in the transfer market, but they bring on their fair share of youngsters and are currently challenging for a CL place. Perhaps our nob of a chairman should take a leaf from Kenwrights book and have had a little faith instead of gambling at completely the wrong time.

Must win game. For Ponchiettos sake.

Pretty much. We had actually earnt some breathing space, so the pressure would have been off if dear old Nigel was in charge.

That's all changed, and the pressure in this game is pretty huge now. How utterly pointless.

I'd say must not lose. No-one would say a draw with Everton is bad, they're a good side. But I don't think we'd have lost under Adkins. Possible, but we were playing very well. If we lose now, it'll look like a ridiculous decision right away and multiply the pressure exponentially.

But I'm reminded of when we sacked Sturrock and then lost at home to Bolton. Or the 3-0 home defeat to Ipswich which was gray's first game in charge I think. Negative atmospheres that had a terrible impact on the team. Kind of expecting the same so if we're honest the best result right now is 'match postponed'.

Agree! Draw minimum

I'd say must not lose. No-one would say a draw with Everton is bad, they're a good side. But I don't think we'd have lost under Adkins. Possible, but we were playing very well. If we lose now, it'll look like a ridiculous decision right away and multiply the pressure exponentially.

But I'm reminded of when we sacked Sturrock and then lost at home to Bolton. Or the 3-0 home defeat to Ipswich which was gray's first game in charge I think. Negative atmospheres that had a terrible impact on the team. Kind of expecting the same so if we're honest the best result right now is 'match postponed'.

Agreed, the vast majority of Saints realised that Hoddle should have been appointed and the decision by the board who were influenced by the vocal minority, had led us to install a manager who was out of his depth and would start us on the road to catastrophe.

Some similarities this time, but let us hope history does not repeat itself.

So do we know anything of how Pochettino likes to play? I have read a few articles that talks about pressing high up the pitch and playing possession football, but do we have any idea of formation or anything like that?

He has said he has seen us for a few weeks so I'll be interested to see whether he looks to keep the players with what they are familiar with and phase in his ideas slowly or whether his ethos requires complete change at the start.

the press say that he likes to play 4-2-3-1 in the first and second team but insists that the youth teams play4-4-2 because he feels that is the best formation to develop skills

Apparenty he's a believer in 4 at the back. There isn't time before the Everton game to put that in and doing it this season woud be a huge risk. His football philoosophy is broadly similar to Adkns', ie playing out from the back, high tempo passing game, but prepared to be pragmatic, so I wouldn't be surprised to see minimal changes in the short term. Nigel Adkins was doing a good job and we don't want major changes to tactics and formations at this stage. I wasn't particuarly optimistic about this game anyway, so not the ideal game to judge Pochettino.Eveton are a strong side who are where the are for a reason and let's not kid ourselves that a draw would be less than a good result.

OK, prediction time.

I'll go 2-1 Saints, late winner that brings the house down.

I'll also predict some of our numpty fans will boo the new boss when he's presented to St Mary's.

My final prediction will be that the big screens will develop a technical fault so Sky wont be able to plaster NC's face across them for the inevitable reaction.

if the weather continues like it is now until tomorrow night what are the chances of the game being called off?

The club have just tweeted a picture of the St Marys surroundings all cleared of snow and with no more of the white stuff forecast I think there is every chance the game will be on.

Apparenty he's a believer in 4 at the back. There isn't time before the Everton game to put that in and doing it this season woud be a huge risk. His football philoosophy is broadly similar to Adkns', ie playing out from the back, high tempo passing game, but prepared to be pragmatic, so I wouldn't be surprised to see minimal changes in the short term. Nigel Adkins was doing a good job and we don't want major changes to tactics and formations at this stage. I wasn't particuarly optimistic about this game anyway, so not the ideal game to judge Pochettino.Eveton are a strong side who are where the are for a reason and let's not kid ourselves that a draw would be less than a good result.

How many do we play at the back now then? Always thought it was 4 myself. You learn something every day.

if the weather continues like it is now until tomorrow night what are the chances of the game being called off?

whats the weather like in southampton?

It isn't snowing in Southampton.

The pitch is in good condition and under covers, as of 1 hour ago the immediate areas around the stadium are clear from snow. The game will go ahead.

BBDs3hxCcAARLPF.jpg:large

Edited by Matthew Le God

The weather won't continue like it is (not that the little flurry's we're having today are causing any issues anyway). It will be dull and overcast tomorrow, still very cold though

Tuesday it becomes interesting though.