Everton build up thread

Bad Wolf

And the flak that the crowd will inevitably give Cortese and the new manager will add to the 'problem'....

I fear you may be right and if it escalates and we drive out Cortese, the Liebherrs will probably follow.

I'm gutted we've just lost a top up-and-coming young manager who will have learnt a lot from this experience and go on to become even better. Could come back to bite us in the arse.

Cheers Nigel, some great days, all the best.

But don't be a bunch of drama queens, get behind the new man or at least use this anger to get behind the team. Would be the first time for some of our fans this season.

now the intersting thing is : If NA and all the staff have gone already, how will he know who to pick for the Everton game...maybe put all the shirt numbers in a hat and draw out the first 11 ?...

would have seen the Chelsea game and as some pointed out last week there is a certain amount of consistency involved in our structure. Anyway our first team picks itself.

It'll be 8-0 Everton now.
Nailed on loss.

So why is it when we face a team who have just changed their manager it is a nailed on win for them - new manager honeymoon; yet when we change our manager it's a nailed on loss for us?? We're playing well; the team has confidence; we are at home; the players have a new boss to impress.

3-1 Saints.

So why is it when we face a team who have just changed their manager it is a nailed on win for them - new manager honeymoon; yet when we change our manager it's a nailed on loss for us?? We're playing well; the team has confidence; we are at home; the players have a new boss to impress.

3-1 Saints.

Because usually its a new manager turning around a dressing room that has lost confidence in their man and first game syndrome is that pick up and show me you deserve a place thing, not turning up to a club that had already picked it up and turned it around to then sack the manager. It's going to be a bad atmosphere from the fans and for the players at training/the dressing room, no-one is going to be in a good mood for the game at the club and will end badly.

I am guessing we'll win as the players will want to prove themselves and the atmosphere will be electric with controversial singing!

That's good then and they can tell the Argie it was just passionate support welcoming to the club, "they love you already", he wont understand anyway.

Trouble is, next home game it'll revert back to the placid place it has become...other than a bunch in one corner of the stadium.

Some OTT reactions on here today, as bad a decision as it appears to be (where's that pic of the 2 guys giving back their STs over parking charges when you need it?) The last time we sacked someone was after sticking in 4 goals in an away victory, didn't turn out too bad in the end.

I think some people are overreacting on how the NA sacking would affect the result of this game. like some have said, the first team selects itself and unless the new bloke decides to play Martin in CB and de ridder on the right, there shouldn't be too much of a difference in the teams performance compared to if NA was still here. these are professionals we are talking about and I do not believe they would let their concentration down due to a change in management, in fact I would expect the reverse as these players now know they must play their best to show the new guy what they can do and to remain in the starting line up.

plus I've read in a manager profile of the new guy that his favored tactic was an attacking 4231 so, no different from what the players are used to. therefore like what I would have predicted before today I would see us getting a point against everton.

profile: http://soccernet.espn.go.com/players/manager/_/id/216/mauricio-pochettino?cc=4716

Quite often when a game is close to an appointment the backroom staff have a big say in the tactics/team selection. With Crosby, Wilkins and Stannard all sacked as well, Pochettino will be starting from scratch on Saturday when he takes his first training session for Monday's game.

Agree it's going to be difficult for him, although I expect he'll utilise Martin Hunter & Jason Dodd in the short term.

If Pochettino has really been 'scouting' Saints since November then he will have seen plenty of games, plus they will all be available to him on DVD, so he shouldn't have a problem knowing which players to pick, and the tactical setup we have used seems to match his preference, so in reality it will all be down to motivation and players' attitude- and ultimately they all almost all mercenaries, and changing managers is something many of them would have previously experienced.

Pre-match speech - "Win it for Nigel".

3-1 Saints, provided the '12th man' realise that they need to back the team more than they protest against NC..

Im sorry but there is going to be a fans backlash for some time, that is just the way it is, but over time it will fade, if we keep winning under our new leadership.

Would be great to get off to a flyer, and we should be looking to win our home games now we have this magician of a manager in charge. NO excuses, sorry, but the change means better results and top half by the end of the season!

Lets have some nice songs for NC - if he turns up which i doubt

Our chairmans is making complex and difficult decisions in order for the club to succeed

our chairmans is making complex and difficult decisions in order for the club to succeed

we've got a chairman whose making complex and difficult decisions in order for the club to succeed!!!!

Far from being insane, he's making complex and difficult decisions in order for the club to succeed. Like him or loath him, insane he is not. On this basis I have amended your song for you, however I'm not convinced it works as a football chant, so I think we should just get behind the team instead? :rolleyes:

Far from being insane, he's making complex and difficult decisions in order for the club to succeed. Like him or loath him, insane he is not. On this basis I have amended your song for you, however I'm not convinced it works as a football chant, so I think we should just get behind the team instead? :rolleyes:

Referring to Saints and Cortese, today’s Times says:

‘We kid ourselves that football is a results business. At an increasing number of clubs, run by power-crazed or merely giddy, star-struck executives, it is not. A culture has arisen where managers are distrusted and where the judgement of agents, advisers and sycophants resonates far louder in the board room’.

It notes – ‘Southampton have been one of the great success stories of the premier league this season’.

However – ‘The words that accompanied yesterday’s brutal sacking implied that Adkins was a weight that was in danger of dragging them down. From the outside, it has looked, not just over the past two seasons but over the past two months, like the precise opposite’.

I fear that Cortese is someone who gambles and likes taking high risks. That is what he has done and neither he nor anyone else know the consequences. However, many observers think what he has done is crazy to the point of utter stupidity.

Hard to judge how the players will react. I guess a lot of the older ones will just accept it as part of football (most players when they change clubs have to rapidly re-adjust)

Guess some of the younger ones may be a bit confused.

From the the new Managers point of view it's a key game if he wants to start winning the fans over

Edited by WealdSaint

I fear that Cortese is someone who gambles and likes taking high risks. That is what he has done and neither he nor anyone else know the consequences. However, many observers think what he has done is crazy to the point of utter stupidity.

Very much agree with this and only time will tell us if this latest gamble was utter stupidity or stroke of genius!

The OS is ****. **** design **** usability and the official propaganda organ for Cortese. They are hardly likely to show anything else than smiling faces.

Guly looks really happy though. We can never know how the players felt about NA, we have never been on the end of one of his dressing downs after some c*** goalkeeper threw the match away.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Today has brought our minds off the whirlwind of the last 2 days and back down to reality. A win on Monday would be massive for multiple reasons now. Firstly the league table, joint with Fulham and Norwich and west ham are slipping. Would help with the hostile atmosphere and welcoming the new coach and can help bring us together as a club again. Biggest game of the season now.