Two BIG exclusive interviews tomorrow

Saint-Armstrong

Unlike Lowe I don't think Cortese has done any such thing. There are a few, maybe half a dozen rabid anti-Corteseists on here and TUI, and maybe one or two at most who CB Fry and Turkish believe would form their imaginary CoC. Just about everyone else really couldn't give a monkeys. Upset about the way Adkins was sacrificed, sure, but pro or anti Cortese, not really. He is a Chairman. He doesn't play and he doesn't coach. He holds the purse strings, wait long enough and another one will come along, and maybe it won't be that long if some rumours are to be believed. What happens at the end of the current 2.5 year project?

Can't wait to get back to some football or at least some transfer speculation. Still expecting one more signing.

The CoC is not imaginary. Maybe they just dont like you and havent anointed you by Cortese spirit yet.

Frankly, the whole Cortese/Le Tissier thing no longer interests me. It's obviously a severe personality clash and that in itself is nothing to do with how the club is run, it would be great to have something of an entente cordiale but I can now accept it's not going to happen. Time to move on, nothing to see here anymore.

The interview was interesting though, was good to actually hear his perspective for a change and it reaffirms my feeling that there is always a reason for the things Cortese does. Fingers crossed the club continues to grow from them.

After wading through pages of hysteria, I think this about sums it up.

Cortese will only be proved wrong or right by time and results. Matty is one of my all time heroes and I hope the sniping doesn't get out of hand - but he's allowed an opinion.

I think everyone is in dire need of some games, these weekends without one tend to make everyone go a little crazy on here.

Cortese hardly has the media profile of Donald Trump or Matthew Le Tissier, Cortese has had 3 broadcast interviews since the takeover in 2009.

1x 40 minute interview on BBC Radio Solent

1x 30 minute interview for BBC Sport website

1x 5 minute interview for SSN

Not exactly craving media attention over the past 4 years.

Putting himself on the front of the match day programme..........

Putting himself on the front of the match day programme..........

once.......which was the biggest selling programme...wasnt it..?

lets be honest, we hardly ever hear from him....you can count on 1 hand since he came here...which is what nearly all of us desperately wanted when lowe was here..

so many of us (and fans in general) go on about how chairman should be in the background...well, NC is very much that then he is dammed when he does speak

maybe he should never ever speak to anyone, then he wont offend the precious flowers that get all frothy mouthed about him

once.......which was the biggest selling programme...wasnt it..?

lets be honest, we hardly ever hear from him....you can count on 1 hand since he came here...which is what nearly all of us desperately wanted when lowe was here..

so many of us (and fans in general) go on about how chairman should be in the background...well, NC is very much that then he is dammed when he does speak

maybe he should never ever speak to anyone, then he wont offend the precious flowers that get all frothy mouthed about him

I've been in the sun all day so I'm a bit more loopey than usual, but TDD, would I be correct in assuming that the flowers that are a touch frothy are the ones who got a touch frothy when NC did not appear at a press conference to explain himself?

So we finally have "The Cult of Cortese" (Coc)

It's taken just under 3 and a half years for this board to have a Cortese version of the Lowe Luvvies. The narrow minded label which in time will be bestowed on anyone who agrees with just one of Nicola Cortese's policies. (If the Lowe Luvvie label is anything to go by)

I'm amazed it's taken nearly 3 and a half years TBH

It's taken just under 3 and a half years for this board to have a Cortese version of the Lowe Luvvies. The narrow minded label which in time will be bestowed on anyone who agrees with just one of Nicola Cortese's policies. (If the Lowe Luvvie label is anything to go by)

It hasn't. The CoC was first mentioned on here about 18 months ago IIRC. You need to keep up, the CoC has been in existance for a lot longer than you realise. Spreading their doctrines throughout the mongboard. They have their prayer mats out today due to recent instructions from the almighty chairman so maybe it is only today that you have noticed the CoC and their faith.

I think its great as it helps identify the agenda numpties - anyone who used the CoC in as serious derogatory fashion can be laughed at and ignored as a bampot.

I think its great as it helps identify the agenda numpties - anyone who used the CoC in as serious derogatory fashion can be laughed at and ignored as a bampot.

I think it's great you people have such conviction in your faith. You wont here me speaking about the CoC in a derogatory manner.

As a founder member Francis i think you should tell us.

Founder member - I am honoured - have to admit its not as much fun as the now sadly defunked Lowe Luvvie clan - there we had to be able to to take down a brace of pheasents with a single shot, standing naked in a a snow covered Cotswold field... and enjoy spending Sunday afternoons looking at pictures of trains - you were not allowed to mention football unless with a Dutch accent.

With NC, its all boring stuff, hes such a serious guy all the time. Always going on about improving the club, looking to figure out how to keep the best young talent etc... must be something to do with the 'project' he keeps mentioning... and he does eat babies, and he beats large cardboard cut outs of MLT and LM with a sh!tty stick every Thursday evening. Rumour has it that the small dog kennel with a heavy chain was where he used to keep Franny Benali tethered - I wa stold on Wednesday nights he would walk up to him poor some of his urine on the carpet and and then push Franny's nose it it calleing him a 'dirty little boy' - but that may just be a made up.

No, but i respect their views and admire their devotion.

We have no choice Turks, no choice, one initiated, there is no way out - unless you cut off your own testicles with a pair of gardening sequeteurs and then cauterise the damage with a blow touch.... needless to say extraction from the Coc is fairly rare

Inventers of the notion that there is such a thing as a “Cult of Cortese” (CoC) - 1

Full Members of the Sneerers and Demonizers (SaD) club believing that there is such a thing as a “Cult of Cortese” – 3 (includes inventer)

Puppy dogs with pending applications for membership in the above club of self-perceived 'intellectuals' - 6

Hero-worshippers who will hear no wrong about their heroes, and will hurl insults at anyone who may see a more balanced picture - 1

Actual subscribers to the Cult of Cortese - 0

Normal people who feel that Cortese has mishandled things and may not be a particularly nice guy, but who also feel that he’s done a good job so far and that “there are two sides to every story”, of which they’ve heard only one – 63,586

(Numbers accurate as at January 27, 2013)

Inventers of the notion that there is such a thing as a “Cult of Cortese” (CoC) - 1

Full Members of the Sneerers and Demonizers (SaD) club believing that there is such a thing as a “Cult of Cortese” – 3 (includes inventer)

Puppy dogs with pending applications for membership in the above club of self-perceived 'intellectuals' - 6

Hero-worshippers who will hear no wrong about their heroes, and will hurl insults at anyone who may see a more balanced picture - 1

Normal people who feel that Cortese has mishandled things and may not be a particularly nice guy, but who also feel that he’s done a good job so far and that “there are two sides to every story”, of which they’ve heard only one – 63,586

Dont be so easily deceived Canada - the Cult is real, very real - its scary.... help me Canada, help me, I really dont want to go through the testicle routine, :scared:but cant see any other way out....

Very much enjoyed dronskisaint's post this morning (No.256 at 11.11am Sunday) which chimed with my own views.

Southampton Football Club is bigger than Cortese, or Adkins, or Pardew, Le Tiss, Rupert Lowe, Nigel Pearson, Mick Channon, Ron Davies, Terry Paine, and any others you care to name. Some of those did great things for the club, some were controversial, some loved by some and hated by others, but one thing Cortese said in his interview was that supporters should keep their support of the club above their admiration for any passing individuals. Like dronskisaint, my support goes back over 50 years to times when I woulkd come by train from Brockenhurst or park in Shirley to walk to The Dell, or go for a pre-match drink at The Bevois Castle in Bevois Valley (now The Rockstone Inn).

The point I'm making is that times change as we pass through them and what seems very important at the time soon becomes history. That includes personalities linked to the club, but it is the football club that goes on. I have seen Saints playing in European competition, the first time being against Newcastle in the Inter-City Fairs cup on a very wet night at The Dell, and we have never really made a mark in Europe, so thats what I would like to see and if Cortese has that vision, then good luck to his project because we fans will all benefit from it.

Be honest now, could anyone really see Nigel Adkins as a European Competition manager, or a top 4 manager in The Prem? Obviously some people could, but its a stretch of the imagination... In Spain, the football world there certainly does see Pochettino in that role, so lets wish him well.

From Wikipedia I guess....?? :)

It hasn't. The CoC was first mentioned on here about 18 months ago IIRC. You need to keep up, the CoC has been in existance for a lot longer than you realise. Spreading their doctrines throughout the mongboard. They have their prayer mats out today due to recent instructions from the almighty chairman so maybe it is only today that you have noticed the CoC and their faith.

Seriously Turkish, you really are a teensy bit mental.

Cortese hardly has the media profile of Donald Trump or Matthew Le Tissier, Cortese has had 3 broadcast interviews since the takeover in 2009.

1x 40 minute interview on BBC Radio Solent

1x 30 minute interview for BBC Sport website

1x 5 minute interview for SSN

Not exactly craving media attention over the past 4 years.

You always do this. I didn't say he was...

So actually your reply had nothing to do with what I had said.

It did, you were talking about being able to determine Donald Trump has a big ego. Trump has had alot of media coverage over the years. What I did is list the brief time Cortese has had in a mere 3 broadcast interviews since the takeover in 2009. What did he do in them to suggest a "big ego" to you? In terms of wanting media exposure, he is very reclusive in that regard, it is Le Tissier that is holding a weekly one-way slanging match over TV/radio/newspapers not Cortese.

Edited by Matthew Le God

It did, you were talking about being able to determine Donald Trump has a big ego. He has had a lot of media coverage over the years. What I did is list the brief time Cortese has had in a mere 3 broadcast interviews since the takeover in 2009. What did he do in them to suggest a "big ego" to you?

hypo is livid because NC decided to tile franny benalis bathroom

It did, you were talking about being able to determine Donald Trump has a big ego. He has had a lot of media coverage over the years. What I did is list the brief time Cortese has had in a mere 3 broadcast interviews since the takeover in 2009. What did he do in them to suggest a "big ego" to you?

Where did I mention I based my opinion on his ego purely on interviews he has done?

So what else are you basing it on? And what do you base your opinion of Donald Trump on?

I base it on a number of things. Things I have been told by ex players in the corporate area, the fact that Nick was banned, stories such as the ones Saint Bobby describes, the person owed money by the club who had to take them to court and was ignored, the spat with Franny, having spoken to MLT at the stadium, being related to a current employee, having an acquaintance who did work experience at Solent and as such saw was Clotese was like. There are others but I can't be bothered to list them.

I base it on a number of things. Things I have been told by ex players in the corporate area, the fact that Nick was banned, stories such as the ones Saint Bobby describes, the person owed money by the club who had to take them to court and was ignored, the spat with Franny, having spoken to MLT at the stadium, being related to a current employee, having an acquaintance who did work experience at Solent and as such saw was Clotese was like. There are others but I can't be bothered to list them.

basically, very little to do with football..?

how did work experience at Solent give the him / her access to what NC was like?

Lowe was not on TV everyday. He had a higher profile but that was because,as bad as he was at PR, at least he fronted up his decisions and dealt with issues (how many times has The Dom met with the supporters?).

Lowe was pilloried for not being a football man but getting involved in footballing decisions. Cortese also has a financial background but apparently it is perfectly ok for him to do so?

We had the smokescreen of Pardew's alleged hank panky when he was sacked. Now we are being linked to loads of foreign players ending with "o" to keep the masses happy and their mid off of what happened the other week. Easy to be linked to players - not easy to sign though. One in so far with time running out.

I love it when someone says he cant see Adkins being top 4 manager when, so far, at least he has a proven track record with us - whereas MP has failed in Spain yet he can been seen as a top 4 manager LOL.

The board in Lowe's day were quite clearly trying to survive on home grown talent but with no major money behind them they couldn't keep the likes of Walcot and Bale who wanted out.

Cortese doesn't have that problem and finds it easier not to sell because of the money at his disposal.

If Lowe had behaved in the way that Cortese does the pitchforks would be out but for some reason Cortese escapes comparisions and is fireproof.

If MLT badmouthed Lowe everone said good on you Matt. When MLT badmouths Cortese he gets told to shut up.

Lowe was bad at PR but Cortese is worse. I suspect we have just heard from him because his advisers begged him to make a statement, not because he felt he should.

Whether he was right about sacking Adkins at this time only time will tell. Adkins had already come out and said after the Coventy game when it happens I hope it is done in the right way. Cortese could not have found a worse way to do it and his vision for the club does not excuse his appalling actions to someone who gave his all for the club.

how did work experience at Solent give the him / her access to what NC was like?

Worked with an employee of SFC to do with sports science and helped with preseason tests at Solent. I am not sure if he was doing work experience at the University or if he was doing it at SFC and was based at the Uni (and yes I know you are a lecturer there. The person I am referring to has a father who works at the university. If you really need me to I can PM ou to confirm.)

At the end of the day, I've also been told by people at the club that NC is a right **** - a nasty bit of work. You can see that with his decisions, he doesn't care and he will do what it takes to get what he wants.

That's how people become successful at the end of the day. You don't become a success by letting others change your views, he's sure in what he wants at the end of the day.

I'm basing this solely on football, as he's the chairman of my football club, but he's not done anything wrong so far. He backs the managers, enables us to attract players like Ramirez and invests in state of the art training facilities. He's not got a lot wrong on that front since he's been here.

The Adkins sacking was harsh, and it still doesn't make 100% sense, but based on his record of footballing decisions I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt on this one.

The MLT and NC-gate will keep rumbling on, both sides need to get together and bang their heads together here - but I'm not even going to get into this one.

At the end of the day, NC may not be a person you want to spend the night down the pub with, but based on what he's done I trust him with the future of my football club. Whether that makes me a CoC or whatever, I couldn't give a ****.

basically, very little to do with football..?

And yet hypochondraic wants him out of the club.

The more he posts, the more apt his username is. Someone might now comment on my username when I appear to be siding against Le Tissier, well my username reflects my admiration of him as a player, since his retirement I've disagreed with a lot he has said in the media. Being a club legend on the pitch shouldn't make you immune from criticism off the pitch.

Yes, Cortese has been extremely ruthless with some of his decisions and actions, but I fully believe he is doing it with the club's best intentions at heart for it to progress. That is going to upset people along the way, but he has achieved alot and Cortese/Liebherr estate should have earnt a degree of trust from the fanbase.

Edited by Matthew Le God