Two BIG exclusive interviews tomorrow

Saint-Armstrong

I've met Cortese once for about a ten minute one-on-one chat.

Have met MLT a few times, and one for a pretty lengthy chat.

I wouldn't say I can form a full, robust, 100% accurate impression of either man's personality.

But, these meetings, along with stuff in the public domain, lead me to conclude that it is totally unsurprising that they don't get on.

Very chalky chalk and very chessey cheese basically.

This is the thing that ****es me off about the whole thing. If MLT is going to have digs at people and put his thoughts about it in the public domain, then atleast explain the whole issue rather than little snippets and digs at the chairman. Just wish they could sort out their differences and pull in the same direction for the sake of the club.

MLT has already offered to sit down with NC and witnesses to thrash things out.

This is the thing that ****es me off about the whole thing. If MLT is going to have digs at people and put his thoughts about it in the public domain, then atleast explain the whole issue rather than little snippets and digs at the chairman. Just wish they could sort out their differences and pull in the same direction for the sake of the club.

Me too. But he's said before it will all come out once Cortese leaves. What's stopping him from saying something now?

Like I keep saying

Cortese is very clever and coming across as something he is not to get people on side

They turn your back and he will **** you up the arse.

I believe the Franny situation is in the hands of the lawyers. That's shy nothing gets said by Matt or Franny etc as it could jeopardise the case. This was the case last year and I guess its a long dragged out process and I have no doubt it will end before going to court with a settlement. I would think once this is out the way the truth may come out.

If this is the case Hopefully Franny will not opt for the settlement and gagging order and take him to the cleaners. Literately .

Yea, tenant and landlord disputes tend to run for years and years. Maybe Cameron can call for public inquiry.

Like I keep saying

Cortese is very clever and coming across as something he is not to get people on side

I believe the Franny situation is in the hands of the lawyers. That's shy nothing gets said by Matt or Franny etc as it could jeopardise the case. This was the case last year and I guess its a long dragged out process and I have no doubt it will end before going to court with a settlement. I would think once this is out the way the truth may come out.

If this is the case Hopefully Franny will not opt for the settlement and gagging order and take him to the cleaners. Literately .

Fair enough if this why nothing is being said. However le tiss said it wasn't just to do with Benali so just curious what else is going on, unless this is also going through the lawyers??

Like I keep saying

I'm sorry I've tried, but I find it hard to take someone serious who's forum name is the name of another person... Who he's then talking about....

Unhealthy obsession?

Christ some over analysis here!!

I don't overly care ex players views, when I was 8 I hero worshipped like some here still do, later realised that skill with a ball has little to do with intelligence, and likelihood of their opinions always being right.

When we had the Lowe, crouch, Wilde circus the majority view was wanted chairman who wasnt after popularity and publicity, wanted to take club forward.... Bit like now!!

When NA was sacked he was 8th longest serving manager in premiership.

I fear that if we reach the target if champions league my family maybe priced out, NC won't care.

What's the alternative? Aim to underachieve?

My main assessment of a chairman is how team are doing, and quality of signings. On this he is doing well.

Trust him? Like him? Think he puts fans first? Not really.

Much of criticism seems childish, aiming low, jealousy or just not getting this is multi million pound business, not community/ fan on the board club.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Christ some over analysis here!!

I don't overly care ex players views, when I was 8 I hero worshipped like some here still do, later realised that skill with a ball has little to do with intelligence, and likelihood of their opinions always being right.

When we had the Lowe, crouch, Wilde circus the majority view was wanted chairman who wasnt after popularity and publicity, wanted to take club forward.... Bit like now!!

When NA was sacked he was 8th longest serving manager in premiership.

I fear that if we reach the target if champions league my family maybe priced out, NC won't care.

What's the alternative? Aim to underachieve?

My main assessment of a chairman is how team are doing, and quality of signings. On this he is doing well.

Trust him? Like him? Think he puts fans first? Not really.

Much of criticism seems childish, aiming low, jealousy or just not getting this is multi million pound business, not community/ fan on the board club.

Jesus what a completely stupid view. Ok let's wipe the history of the club out then and just talk about what happens today.

Like I keep saying

So, if its going through the normal channels to get a dispute resolved why does MLT keep banging on about it? If its as cut and dried as MLT suggests (and there's no reason to disbelieve him) then Benali will get the cash he's duly owed.

Yes, we can all form an opinion that Cortese is being a pig headed arse for letting it get to court but if he's wrong then the normal course of justice will prevail.

Jesus what a completely stupid view. Ok let's wipe the history of the club out then and just talk about what happens today.

Also, why does looking after club legends and good pr mean that we can't be ambitious in future and still push on. Chelsea manage it, they parade ex players before every home game. If this happened at a bigger club the fans would be going mad. Can you imagine bobby Charlton being allowed to be treated like this at man utd?

Stupid reply. Where do I say wipe history? This week sat down showing old dell highlights to son.

That's football.

Nothing to do with going week at the knees like school girl whenever ex player is mentioned!

Some people need to grow up and keep sport as what it is

Stupid reply. Where do I say wipe history? This week sat down showing old dell highlights to son.

That's football.

Nothing to do with going week at the knees like school girl whenever ex player is mentioned!

Some people need to grow up and keep sport as what it is

No it's a sport not a business. If it is sport as you say we should look after people better.

Frankly, the whole Cortese/Le Tissier thing no longer interests me. It's obviously a severe personality clash and that in itself is nothing to do with how the club is run, it would be great to have something of an entente cordiale but I can now accept it's not going to happen. Time to move on, nothing to see here anymore.

The interview was interesting though, was good to actually hear his perspective for a change and it reaffirms my feeling that there is always a reason for the things Cortese does. Fingers crossed the club continues to grow from them.

If he had been banging on about it we wouldn't be here would we ? As you would know what had really gone on?

Matt hasn't realy said anything has he?

Well he certainly hasn't gone into details and I doubt he will.

Basically you believe what ever you like . That's the joy of opinions.

If I was treated like Matt is by Cortese I would be banging on about it like you say more than Matt does

And I'm sure you would to. If it upsets you so much you keep banging on about why Matt is banging on I think if you were in his shoes you would write a book

Exactly-no problem with MLT being critical; its the medium he uses. Even assuming that Cortese won't sit down with him, there are better ways of having a pop than through Twitter.

Granted Twitter is fantastic at some things, it's hard to see how you can -or indeed have to explain or account for yourself in 150 characters? Throw in the speed with which the mongs can spread any little thing -and no wonder it's abused. One might say its the favourite poison of the gutless in their glasshouses.

I'd rather MLT talk exclusively to a paper and a proper journo, sit down and explain his position in the context of a proper conversation. And leave it at that.

Edited by shurlock

At the end of the day the whole subject is just going round and round.

I will always stand by Matt as 1, he singlehanded kept us a top club for years when he had the opertinity to walk away on various occasions. , not Cortese. I would never show him the disrespect so called fans do on here

And 2 Matt has his reasons and bloody good ones.

Just draw your own opinion. It will all come out in the end.

If he had been banging on about it we wouldn't be here would we ? As you would know what had really gone on?

Matt hasn't realy said anything has he?

Well he certainly hasn't gone into details and I doubt he will.

Basically you believe what ever you like . That's the joy of opinions.

If I was treated like Matt is by Cortese I would be banging on about it like you say more than Matt does

And I'm sure you would to. If it upsets you so much you keep banging on about why Matt is banging on I think if you were in his shoes you would write a book

What? You should try writing that again

Do you suppose that perhaps some of those tagged "CoC" are simply not willing to see everything in black and white terms.

Perhaps the so called "CoC" are just people who can see that there is only one person who has gone public with personal attacks.

Perhaps the "CoC" are saying we don't like everything we've seen, but on balance the "Club" are in a much better position now than they were when he took over.

Perhaps the "CoC" are entitled to a view which is no less valid than the rabid Cortese haters who base their view of the world from the snippets of tittle tattle and internet gossip forums.

Nice try.

I'm no Cortese hater - he's done some fantastic things and the club is going in the right direction. Bit "black and white" there mate.

Its people like me seeing the shades of grey, the PR, and who are prepared to listen to the views of others. Kinda like how real life works.

Its the CoC chaps prepared to dismiss, shrug off, ignore anything that says anything other than Cortese is faultless, including the frankly ludicrous notion that questioning Cortese is attacking "the club". How "black and white" do you want?

So good effort but misdirected.

Nice try.

I'm no Cortese hater - he's done some fantastic things and the club is going in the right direction. Bit "black and white" there mate.

Its people like me seeing the shades of grey, the PR, and who are prepared to listen to the views of others. Kinda like how real life works.

Its the CoC chaps prepared to dismiss, shrug off, ignore anything that says anything other than Cortese is faultless, including the frankly ludicrous notion that questioning Cortese is attacking "the club". How "black and white" do you want?

Er, didn't you call Cortese a "rat faced c**t?"

Nice try.

Perhaps you're the one who's colour blind -confusing grey for black and white. Still intrigued where these mysterious cultists reside. Not seen many myself. That said, imaginary straw men have always required less intelligence to attack...just saying.

Edited by shurlock

Perhaps you're the one who's colour blind -confusing grey for black and white. Still intrigued where these mysterious cultists reside. Not seen many myself. That said, imaginary straw men have always required less intelligence to attack...just saying.

They say faith comes from within, just saying....

I'm waiting for a road to damascus moment myself....still waiting.

you show many of the strong characterists of a great disciple my child, i see it in you. I'm sure when Cortese performs another miracle, which may even happen before the close of the transfer window, your heart and mind will be opened and you will pray at the alter of the almighty chairman, just like some of your mongboard peers are.

Nice try.

I certainly wasn't accusing you of being a Cortese hater. I was, however, accusing you of inferring that anyone with a contrary view is part of an imaginary "CoC". That one you can have.

I love the outrage at these interviews. What did people expect - awkward questions to be asked in a live environment? :lol:

I am sure there are lots of questions fans and journalists would like to ask but even if there was ever a forum to ask them do you think you'd get the truth in an answer? The club quite rightly wants to control the information it gives and there is absolutely no reason on earth it would volunteer information that would portray it in a bad light. Why on earth would the club do that? Makes no sense. Much better to have control over what is said and try and manage how the club is portrayed in the piece. And if awkward questions were asked the club would just give the answers it wants and then people would claim it isn't the truth and we're back to square one.

This is probably as good as it gets under the current ownership for now and while it may be frustrated to many in the real world the club are doing the right thing for itself.

Ah yes.

More the sort of accent of someone who was educated in England and spent most of their working life in Switzerland, no?

It's possible that he may have had some (UK) education for his business career, but having worked internationally in commercial banking he probably feels " safer" in a negotiations rather than in answering direct, controversial questions about some of the more unpleasant decisions that have been taken in the club. His choice of vocabulary (though good) lacks the fluency that you might expect from a Brit. (which of course, he isn't) but nevertheless I can see that his use of phrases is more related to words that he is more familiar with in Italian, and their meaning.

Interestingly, when he said... he didn't know MLT...I don't think he was denying having met him, but more that he didn't know him personally to talk / discuss with, something that is very important in business is the personal relationships between the top management and key personnel. I'd be interested to hear MLTs comments if they'd actually sat down, had a meal and a couple of glasses of wine together....although I'd equally expect them to re-evaluate their relationship and be diplomatic about it afterwards. ..but that's not likely to happen.

I do agree that to many people Cortese must seem like a cold fish who makes unpleasant decisions, but neither is he daft enough to endanger his career/ investment unless he were sure that MP were the right person to take us to the next level.

For someone who has spent 10 years advising others on sporting / financial issues, he must be really determined to make a success at SFC, now that he has a chance to call the shots himself.

Time will tell.

I love the outrage at these interviews. What did people expect - awkward questions to be asked in a live environment? :lol:

I am sure there are lots of questions fans and journalists would like to ask but even if there was ever a forum to ask them do you think you'd get the truth in an answer? The club quite rightly wants to control the information it gives and there is absolutely no reason on earth it would volunteer information that would portray it in a bad light. Why on earth would the club do that? Makes no sense. Much better to have control over what is said and try and manage how the club is portrayed in the piece. And if awkward questions were asked the club would just give the answers it wants and then people would claim it isn't the truth and we're back to square one.

This is probably as good as it gets under the current ownership for now and while it may be frustrated to many in the real world the club are doing the right thing for itself.

By banning the local paper and falling out with the clubs greatest player and not even giving any credit to one of our most successful managers. Geez some people will just accept anything.

It's possible that he may have had some (UK) education for his business career, but having worked internationally in commercial banking he probably feels " safer" in a negotiations rather than in answering direct, controversial questions about some of the more unpleasant decisions that have been taken in the club. His choice of vocabulary (though good) lacks the fluency that you might expect from a Brit. (which of course, he isn't) but nevertheless I can see that his use of phrases is more related to words that he is more familiar with in Italian, and their meaning.

Interestingly, when he said... he didn't know MLT...I don't think he was denying having met him, but more that he didn't know him personally to talk / discuss with, something that is very important in business is the personal relationships between the top management and key personnel. I'd be interested to hear MLTs comments if they'd actually sat down, had a meal and a couple of glasses of wine together....although I'd equally expect them to re-evaluate their relationship and be diplomatic about it afterwards. ..but that's not likely to happen.

I do agree that to many people Cortese must seem like a cold fish who makes unpleasant decisions, but neither is he daft enough to endanger his career/ investment unless he were sure that MP were the right person to take us to the next level.

For someone who has spent 10 years advising others on sporting / financial issues, he must be really determined to make a success at SFC, now that he has a chance to call the shots himself.

Time will tell.

Wronh. He said he hadn't met le tissier.

Wronh. He said he hadn't met le tissier.

OK. Language is my job...(to me) ..using the word " met " as in (business) meeting ... the inference may still be that they haven't sat down /discussed anything.

MLT has used the media frequently to criticise NC, whereas Cortese has been ignoring him and getting on with his job as Chairman / de facto Owner.

I don't stop to try and explain myself every time someone doesn't agree with me, nor do I insult them publicly or criticise them for their viewpoint.

I've met and shaken hands (and even spoken a few words) to thousands of people ..it doesn't mean that I know them. .

Edited by david in sweden

For me the best thing about our current Chairman is that he doesn't care what people (fans) think about him.

That's one of his major strengths. Wanting to be liked by football fans who all have widely differing wants and opinions is a recipe for disaster.

Yeah, kinda like Wupert in that respect. That went well I seem to remember.

Cortese's contribution to the club makes Le Tiss's look insignificant in comparison. Good to see our chairman come out and explain his Atkins decision thoroughly as everybody asked him to do. We are blessed.

Are you serious? If so this comment beggars belief!

Cortese's contribution to the club makes Le Tiss's look insignificant in comparison. Good to see our chairman come out and explain his Atkins decision thoroughly as everybody asked him to do. We are blessed.

Wow that is some statement! Whilst I am pleased for everything Cortese has done and continues to do to take the club forward, including saving our club and getting us back to the top division in quick time, however he has a motive in this which just happens to concide with club success i.e. to increase the owners investment.

Matt on the other hand showed true loyalty to Saints at the expense of his income and career and stuck with us through thick and thin (Branfoot) and single handidly kept this club up in the top flight for a decade. Can you really say Matts contribution was insignificant compared to Cortese's?

They have both made major and very differing contributions. In fact without Matt it is questionalble whether Cortese would have ever recommended buying the club to Markus in the first place!

Edited by Saint Without a Halo

Good chance we'd still be playing at The Dell if Le Tissier's contribution never happened. I can't imagine the club would have pushed for a 32,000 seater if we'd been relegated in 96. Can't imagine The Dell would have attracted Cortese and ML.

What I find fascinating is that like Lowe before him Cortese has split the fan base into those pro and those anti.

I was very much in the anti camp re Lowe but for me the jury is still out re Nicola's stewardship of our club. He certainly knows what he is doing, he is determined, ruthless even and not to be messed with. It is a great shame however that to get to where he wants us to be the club as a whole seems destined to lose its inclusiveness. I am not sure the good people of Southampton are ready for NC's journey, we can be a funny bunch.