Saints 2 Chelsea1 Post Match Celebrations

St Chalet

Man of the Match V Chelsea  

443 members have voted

1. 1. Man of the Match V Chelsea

Not sure about the stats here, it has him booked in a 2-0 win we apparently had over Arsenal? It is 8 though confirmed on official Saints site!

amazingly cork has only had one yellow card all season!

Edited by Saint Without a Halo

Great win today, no question, but I'd like to see us start beating the teams around us. IF we had beaten Wigan, which we really should have done (gutted about their late equaliser), and QPR, which we ought to have, we'd now be on 39 while wigan would be on 29 and QPR on 20. IOW, we'd be safe.

The sun shines on Southampton Football club and long may it continue. We turned over yet another 'big' team today and methinks few neutrals would say we didn't deserve just what we got - although yours truly was more than a tad nervous for the final 15. I love a good moan but there really is precious little for any of us moan about at this time - how dull!

Shaw was my MOM but you could have given it to any of them such was the superb collective performance this team is now delivering. A few weeks ago I did that BBC Predictor thingy and came to the conclusion that we'd end up somewhere midtable with more than 40 points this season ... and was told not to be so stupid. Well tonight that guesstimate doesn't look to be too far a leap does it.

PS - away fans singing for their own manager to "ferk off" are a bloody disgrace.

The sun shines on Southampton Football club and long may it continue. We turned over yet another 'big' team today and methinks few neutrals would say we didn't deserve just what we got - although yours truly was more than a tad nervous for the final 15. I love a good moan but there really is precious little for any of us moan about at this time - how dull!

Shaw was my MOM but you could have given it to any of them such was the superb collective performance this team is now delivering. A few weeks ago I did that BBC Predictor thingy and came to the conclusion that we'd end up somewhere midtable with more than 40 points this season ... and was told not to be so stupid. Well tonight that guesstimate doesn't look to be too far a leap does it.

PS - away fans singing for their own manager to "ferk off" are a bloody disgrace.

forget not the disgusting way Fuller and Burley were treated, even Crouch was booed before he was given a fair chance. All clubs have periods when the fans need to look at themselves, anyway Saints won and beat the arrogant KIngs road boys

iCewYgAJLcjje.gif

What a nasty man our Scouse goal machine Sir Richard Lambert is! That poor Snr Torres is wearing a face mask and dopey Chelsea stick him at the end of the wall, so Rickie blasts the ball at his face! Classic.

I enjoyed that, even the last 20, not voted for MOTM because I just can't choose.

But as the old man said, perhaps it has something to do with how teams come down and set out their stall???

then again, we really were sheite against QPR.

100% it does. I've said that same - we play best against teams who come to win. We struggle against teams that come to defend and pick up scraps. When teams come to attack us the game is open and flows better, which suits every one of our strengths. When they come to park 10-men behind the ball and hope for a chance to counter-attack, we find it very hard to break down.

What a nasty man our Scouse goal machine Sir Richard Lambert is! That poor Snr Torres is wearing a face mask and dopey Chelsea stick him at the end of the wall, so Rickie blasts the ball at his face! Classic.

I enjoyed that, even the last 20, not voted for MOTM because I just can't choose.

So Torres can score...

We were brilliant all over the pitch today, thoroughly deserved result. I can't really remember either Davis or Boruc having to make a save, other than one badly defended corner which went in. Other than that Jos had Torres in his pocket the whole game and Yoshi cleaned up everything else. Voted Jrod MOTM but there were half a dosen viable candidates today.

We're nearly safe people, I'm starting to believe! I thought we'd lose to Liverpool and Chelsea and still stay up. Now we're 12th with arguably the easiest run in in the bottom half.

Pretty sure we will lose at Spuds and Swansea is never a nice place to go. Other than that we have games against 5 of the worst form teams in the league at the moment.

Wow, I didn't expect us to be as sharp as that after an international break! But we completely caught an under strength Chelsea team off guard in that first half. They had their spell in the 2nd half, but that was as good defensively as we've been all season. Exceptional display of positioning and heading from the center backs, especially Yoshida who had Torres for lunch today (what a shadow of a player he looks these days).

Can't help feeling slightly deflated by Wigans result, but we have just dragged everyone into this from 10th downwards. Who would have thought Stoke would be in trouble a few months back? I can't remember the bottom of the PL being as condensed as this for years.

I think we've lost 2 teams though on the back of today, can't see anyway back for Reading what so ever. They're gone as far as I'm concerned bar the shouting. QPR need to beat Fulham, if they don't then they're also long gone.

Who knows who fills that last spot? Pretty confident it won't be us if we continue to play with that intensity though.

I make that the current Premier League Champions, the current League Cup holders, the current FA Cup Holders, and the current Champions League holders (as well as the beaten FA Cup Finalists) we've put away at St Mary's this season.

St Mary's, Graveyard of Champions.

I bloody love this!

Clyne was my MOTM. Both defensively and offensively superb, though should have shot or crossed it earlier in the first half. Moses caused Shaw quite a few problems down in the first and was their main threat; but after Hazard came on and he was switched the right, Clyne bottled him.

If Clyne could work on his crossing to put an end product to his aggressive runs, he would be some player.

Another tremendous game at SMS. Beating the top sides used to be what we did best at the Dell and we're now doing at SMS. Brilliant stuff.

I have to say Benitez did us a massive favour with his team selected and subs. Leaving Hazard on the bench and then bringing Benayoun in instead if Ba was just the kind of poor management we needed. But we still had to do the business and the side did us proud.

Boruc - nothing to do. Kicking a little below his best.

Clyne 8 - Outstanding fist half. His link up play with Puncheon was first class and he got to the byeline several times. Underestimated Moses a couple of times in the second half getting the wrong side of him. Can see why Chelsea are linked with him. Far more progressive than Azpilicueta

Jos 8 - beaten in the air by Tores a few times, but very solid and very composed. Very good distribution short and long.

Yoshida 8 got tight to Torres when needed to. Made a lot of very good choices. One or two very poor passes early on, but forming a good partnership with Jos.

Shaw 9 just when you think he is beaten he recovers. Just needs a goal to top off one of these great displays. Kept Moses pretty quiet, which is no mean feat. Sign him in the summer and we can start dreaming if going places.

Cork 8 totally dominated the middle in the first half. Never beaten, How he managed to bring down Moses in the first half is beyond me. He was totally beaten but literally threw himself head first into the back of his legs to prevent him breaking. It's that desire that makes him such a great player for us. Our upturn coincides with him and Shaw coming into the side. I don't think I've given him less than 8 out of 10 since. My player of the season.

Morgan 8 supreme in the first half. He really is a top notch player, but saw less of him in the second half as we became a little more desperate in our defending.

Punchen 7 great first half display but less effective in the second as Chelsea too charge. I wondred if by taking him off we'd have less ball retention. We certainly struggled to keep it but not sure he would have made a huge difference.

Rodriguez 8 fantastic work rate and great goal. He caused them plenty of problems as Terry/Ivanovic were so slow its not true. Left us a little exposed down the left, because he played high up the pitch, but he can't be in two places at once. The gamble paid off.

Davis 8 very good siplay again. Thought he linked the play beautifully in the first half. First touch was imaculate and gae Chelsea no opportunity t get a foothold in the game.

Lambert 8 Usual Ricky fair. Won countless headers, linked the play so well and then a freekick of the highest order. It's been a while since he tucked on of those away, but it was just teh perfect distance

Davis - 6 Two decent saves and commanded his srea well. He kicked poorly. That was all down to poor first touches that brought the ball onto his left side. Instead of gambling on his weaker left he decided to smash it safe into touch with his right. Looked ugly, but safe choices I guess. In future perhaps he'll clear first time instead. I see little point in controlling it is that is the outcome.

Ward-Prowse 6 chased hard. Not sure he has the same sort if effect on games when coming on as a sub as he has had when he played in the early games, but always tough to join a game late on especially when we are backs agaist the wall.

Fox wated time well

Another tremendous game at SMS. Beating the top sides used to be what we did best at the Dell and we're now doing at SMS. Brilliant stuff.

I have to say Benitez did us a massive favour with his team selected and subs. Leaving Hazard on the bench and then bringing Benayoun in instead if Ba was just the kind of poor management we needed. But we still had to do the business and the side did us proud.

Boruc - nothing to do. Kicking a little below his best.

Clyne 8 - Outstanding fist half. His link up play with Puncheon was first class and he got to the byeline several times. Underestimated Moses a couple of times in the second half getting the wrong side of him. Can see why Chelsea are linked with him. Far more progressive than Azpilicueta

Jos 8 - beaten in the air by Tores a few times, but very solid and very composed. Very good distribution short and long.

Yoshida 8 got tight to Torres when needed to. Made a lot of very good choices. One or two very poor passes early on, but forming a good partnership with Jos.

Shaw 9 just when you think he is beaten he recovers. Just needs a goal to top off one of these great displays. Kept Moses pretty quiet, which is no mean feat. Sign him in the summer and we can start dreaming if going places.

Cork 8 totally dominated the middle in the first half. Never beaten, How he managed to bring down Moses in the first half is beyond me. He was totally beaten but literally threw himself head first into the back of his legs to prevent him breaking. It's that desire that makes him such a great player for us. Our upturn coincides with him and Shaw coming into the side. I don't think I've given him less than 8 out of 10 since. My player of the season.

Morgan 8 supreme in the first half. He really is a top notch player, but saw less of him in the second half as we became a little more desperate in our defending.

Punchen 7 great first half display but less effective in the second as Chelsea too charge. I wondred if by taking him off we'd have less ball retention. We certainly struggled to keep it but not sure he would have made a huge difference.

Rodriguez 8 fantastic work rate and great goal. He caused them plenty of problems as Terry/Ivanovic were so slow its not true. Left us a little exposed down the left, because he played high up the pitch, but he can't be in two places at once. The gamble paid off.

Davis 8 very good siplay again. Thought he linked the play beautifully in the first half. First touch was imaculate and gae Chelsea no opportunity t get a foothold in the game.

Lambert 8 Usual Ricky fair. Won countless headers, linked the play so well and then a freekick of the highest order. It's been a while since he tucked on of those away, but it was just teh perfect distance

Davis - 6 Two decent saves and commanded his srea well. He kicked poorly. That was all down to poor first touches that brought the ball onto his left side. Instead of gambling on his weaker left he decided to smash it safe into touch with his right. Looked ugly, but safe choices I guess. In future perhaps he'll clear first time instead. I see little point in controlling it is that is the outcome.

Ward-Prowse 6 chased hard. Not sure he has the same sort if effect on games when coming on as a sub as he has had when he played in the early games, but always tough to join a game late on especially when we are backs agaist the wall.

Fox wated time well

Agree with most of this, though I thought Cork had one of his poorer games. Tried to do much at times and conceded possession and freekicks needlessly. Not always his fault - had to collect quite a few hospital balls with his back turned to oncoming player. But he'll have much better days.

Shaw definitely grew in the second half but he struggled in the first half against Moses. Thankfully Benitez switched Moses to the other wing and Shaw was much more assured against Hazard.

I'm sorry, but I don't buy this 'weakened' Chelsea team. Their starting 11 today, ( stats from the BBC, so may not be 100% accurate ) :

Cech ( 30 years old ), their #1 GK

Ivanovic ( 29 ), experienced Serbian international has played 45 club games this season

Terry ( 32 ), their club captain

Azpilicueta (23 ), Spanish international has played 36 club games this season

Bertrand ( 23 ), has played 30 club games this season

Lampard ( 34 , a vastly experienced and classy player

Oscar ( 21 ), a Brazilian international - 49 club games this season

Mikel ( 25 ), a Nigerian international - 31 club games this season, 270 total at the club

Moses ( 22 ), another Nigerian international - 32 club games this season

Marin ( 23 ), German international with 16 caps

Torres ( 29 ), reputedly one of the top strikers in Europe

That may not be their full first choice starting 11, but it's insulting to Saints to imply this selection is 'below par'.

Edited by badgerx16

Top few things of the game:

Cech BEST KEEPER IN THE LEAGUE, really made the difference between a close loss for them and a new one being torn...

Beritrand made Fox look good at left back.

Cork, Davis and Schniderlin completely broke Chelsea! Their influence took Lampard out of the game so badly and he was about the only play to bother to pass to any of their players..

Moses wanted it so badly and Kelvin saved the day keeping his decent effort out.

Lambert should be playing for England as should Rodriguez, no idea how Roy can miss them and call up rubbish like Welbeck...

Marin, Oscar and Hazard are amazing, they need to be in teams with better midfielders to play them in properly, depressing to see them stuck in a team with a back line and no one to play in the middle...

Oh and I can't stop grinning from that win! :D

Noticeable mentions to both Jos and Yoshida as they were outstanding today (other than the laps marking for Terry's goal) both really outshone cb's Chelsea bought for 10 times the value...

Edited by pingwing

Top few things of the game:

Cech BEST KEEPER IN THE LEAGUE, really made the difference between a close loss for them and a new one being torn...

Beritrand made Fox look good at left back.

Cork, Davis and Schniderlin completely broke Chelsea! Their influence took Lampard out of the game so badly and he was about the only play to bother to pass to any of their players..

Moses wanted it so badly and Kelvin saved the day keeping his decent effort out.

Lambert should be playing for England as should Rodriguez, no idea how Roy can miss them and call up rubbish like Welbeck...

Marin, Oscar and Hazard are amazing, they need to be in teams with better midfielders to play them in properly, depressing to see them stuck in a team with a back line and no one to play in the middle...

Oh and I can't stop grinning from that win! :D

Noticeable mentions to both Jos and Yoshida as they were outstanding today (other than the laps marking for Terry's goal) both really outshone cb's Chelsea bought for 10 times the value...

Philip, who sits in front of me, said that Lampard dragged Ricky away from Terry who he was marking at the time. It will be interesting to see it later on MOTD.

Just want to give a big shout out to KD.

He made two worldy saves today, OK the first was already called offside, but the tip - over from the deflection was class.

Likewise, our new LM? Never saw that coming, with a bit more confidence he could (Should) have kept going as he broke in the box. JWP? Son, sometimes it's OK to toe poke the ball instead of trying to control and make another great pass. IF you'd stuck a toe out you could have scored two.

JRod? Again, he scared them to death, so close to his second CMFG goal in two home games great touch, good finish but could/should have had another. SRL ambles around and oozes class beyond any Englandstriker since Sheringham.

When we saw the line up we thought Aw Krap - without our two most creative players. We then went out and tore them a new asshole in the 1st 45.

Unreal, unbelievable, BUT, NC saw it coming as did MP.

Next week's game looks a different kettle of fish after NA's tonking today

Philip, who sits in front of me, said that Lampard dragged Ricky away from Terry who he was marking at the time. It will be interesting to see it later on MOTD.

Oooo! I couldn't see from my end what was going on really, just saw Terry free on his own to power it home and was really disappointed for about a minute till Lambert powered home a free kick at the other end!

I dont see that I'm afraid, today was definitely not a 9 out of 10 from Luke. He was much better second half but first half he was all over the place. In fact I expected him to go off half time, looked like he was struggling with injury a bit. Moses had the beating of him most of the half, sometimes his defending was a bit like he had taken lessons from Fox.

I don't know if he was trying too hard cos it was his boyhood club but I reckon someone got hold of him half time as he was much better after the break.....but not a 9 performance. Now Clyne was a 9 performance......