Cortese 'Considering his position'

The Commodore

Do You Want Cortese to Stay?  

630 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Want Cortese to Stay?

Because I think the average annual pay for a Chief Execs in this country is a bit over £200k, taking into consideration the people employed in these roles in most PL clubs I can't see them being on a massive amount more than that.

Depends on the role of each person I guess. And what said people are willing to pay him.

What is Swiss Toby take at QPR? Nothing?

What about the dude at Venkys

I'm sure each club arrangements are all very different

Depends on the role of each person I guess. And what said people are willing to pay him.

What is Swiss Toby take at QPR? Nothing?

What about the dude at Venkys

I'm sure each club arrangements are all very different

I doubt each club's arrangements are "all very different". Some will vary, but there will be some that are comparable.

While I've already stated my position, I will add that people seem to think that our back-to-back promotions to the top flight were some sort of unheard of miracle when we're not even the first club to do it this decade. As admirable an achievement as it was, Norwich did exactly the same without needing to convert £33m of injected funds to equity.

While I've already stated my position, I will add that people seem to think that our back-to-back promotions to the top flight were some sort of unheard of miracle when we're not even the first club to do it this decade. As admirable an achievement as it was, Norwich did exactly the same without needing to convert £33m of injected funds to equity.

Where did that money go then? Certainly not cortese' pocket?

Exactly. And when Norwich did it my recollection was that everybody was rightly lauding Paul Lambert, not Delia.

Not all roles will be the same, but here is few I found on the web:

Paul Faulkner, chief executive at Villa £256,000

Ron Gourlay, chief executive at Chelsea £911,000

Alistair Mackintosh, chief executive at Fulham £704,000

Ian Ayre, managing director Liverpool £657,000

David Gill, chief executive Manure £2,593,000

Derek Llambias is managing director, Newcastle £266,000

David McNally, chief executive Norwich, £1,533,000

Daniel Levy, Spurs Director £2.2m

Jeremy Peace, executive chairman WBA £1,133,000

Where did that money go then? Certainly not cortese' pocket?

Assuming Cortese's wage started at £1.2m and increased by £100,000 a year to the £1.5m it is now, then £5.3m of it did. No idea how accurate that is though.

Assuming Cortese's wage started at £1.2m and increased by £100,000 a year to the £1.5m it is now, then £5.3m of it did. No idea how accurate that is though.
Plus Cortese has all his expenses, including housing etc put through the club it seems, that needs to be added to the figure.

Its important to remember Cortese's £1.6m was in the Championship and £750,000 in lg1. He will likely be on a lot more now, possibly more than Gill or Levy.

http://m.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/saints/news/10334149.Saints_pay_revealed/

Its important to remember Cortese's £1.6m was in the Championship and £750,000 in lg1. He will likely be on a lot more now, possibly more than Gill or Levy.

http://m.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/saints/news/10334149.Saints_pay_revealed/

I guess it has gone up incrementally with the value and position of the club - win/win all round for NC, Saints fans and the Liebherr Trust.

It's the Liebherrs club and if they want to pay him £1.5m a year that is entirely up to them and by the looks of it that amount is comparable with some other Chairman. Will they pay the next guy less?

Someone that appears to be at the awards dinner just posted this...

Greg Dyer

‏@g8egd

#saintsfc cortese said he is #staying!!!!

https://twitter.com/g8egd/status/334428991853297664

He has been posting pictures like this of himself and Saints players all evening...

BKQDFnuCAAAgb1E.jpg:large

And importantly one with the man himself...!

BKQkCkACIAI7ML4.jpg

Edited by Matthew Le God

According to previous years accounts Cortese was on £600k a year iirc. The publication of his salary from last financial year came after we had secured promotion to the Prem in the end of June 12 financials. With that in mind I assumed he earned some sort of performance related bonus, as do most exec directors upon delivering growth/ exceeding targets. I believe a lot of our players are incentivised this way too, I read in the times recently that we are leading the way with (relatively) low wages and big bonuses for performance. Something I'm completely comfortable with.

Personally don't like his attitude but no one can say he hasn't been a success off the field.

Interesting that of the 34 voting for Cortese to leave, a few are skates.

In 2008, Pompey won the FA Cup. In 2009, they saw us drop to League One and have the -10 applied to leave us in our lowest position for generations while they survived in the Premier League.

Portmouth's implosion is, uh, well documented, shall we say, elsewhere on this forum, and since then, they've dropped to the lowest tier of league football, had the name of their team dragged through the mud, and today lost out on a player to Fleetwood Town.

In the same time, mostly thanks to Marcus Liebherr and Nicola Cortese, we've seen our team score four goals at Wembley in front of a record crowd, back to back promotions, and survival in the Premier League, beating each of last season's champions.

It's perhaps the biggest and fastest swing in fortunes any two rivals have EVER seen. They must absolutely despise him for his part in it.

I hope he'll be here for a long time yet, but even if he isn't, he's already been a part of more than I could have dared to hope for us a few years ago.

Plus Cortese has all his expenses, including housing etc put through the club it seems, that needs to be added to the figure.

Who cares what he earns....if you are successful you earn the big bucks....I don't understand while people get so wound up by big earners.

Not all roles will be the same, but here is few I found on the web:

Paul Faulkner, chief executive at Villa £256,000

Ron Gourlay, chief executive at Chelsea £911,000

Alistair Mackintosh, chief executive at Fulham £704,000

Ian Ayre, managing director Liverpool £657,000

David Gill, chief executive Manure £2,593,000

Derek Llambias is managing director, Newcastle £266,000

David McNally, chief executive Norwich, £1,533,000

Daniel Levy, Spurs Director £2.2m

Jeremy Peace, executive chairman WBA £1,133,000

Personally, don't see the point in all these comparisons - sure some earn less, may even be nicer personalities (whatever that means), but an employee (inc. CEO) is worth what the company wants to pay them for their contribution - I am sure they will not pay a lot more than they believe they are worth or indeed a lot less. Most stock brokers, a lot more junior than CEO level, and yes even today, are paid a lot more than £1.5M because that is what their firms believe they are worth, and not because they are such nice and upstanding people! :D

I don't have a problem with what our owners pay our CEO - not that I have much of a say in it anyway - it's their money and their risk, as long as he is delivering which he is. In any case, not sure there is any evidence whatsoever that his package is the issue - I am 100% sure he could earn more outside of football.

BTW - it would be interesting to see what the total board packages would be for all the above clubs? I don't know, but am willing to bet that we have one of the smallest boards on our payroll and so only fair to divide the total board payment by the number of board members - unless of course we think NC is being negligent in his duties of VP of Catering or VP of Car Parking ....... opps think I just opened the proverbial can of worms ;)

Someone that appears to be at the awards dinner just posted this...

Greg Dyer

‏@g8egd

#saintsfc cortese said he is #staying!!!!

https://twitter.com/g8egd/status/334428991853297664

He has been posting pictures like this of himself and Saints players all evening...

BKQDFnuCAAAgb1E.jpg:large

And importantly one with the man himself...!

BKQkCkACIAI7ML4.jpg

Doesn't look like any signs of stress or worry about instability on the faces of anyone in those pics.

Or was that the Bubbly?

As for NC you just know he is saying

"You undermined my negotiating position with a Tweet? Yes, a Horses head will fit"

If the club is up for sale then we will not be running the company at any level below break even in my opinion. Did Cortese not vote against the financial FairPlay rules? If so, this would imply that perhaps investment was there/promised before the vote. However, i believe the vote was post BVI loan? cant be bothered to check. in any event itall leadsto a power struggle over funding. i hope this is concluded quickly to ensure we can add to the current playing staff in time for next season. I wonder whether te BVI loan was sanctioned by Liebherrs? It's not sounding good put it that way

What are you on about dibden. Of course I want him to stay. he has done brillian for our club.

I clicked the yes he should stay box. I did not realise I had to write a thesis on why I feel this way. but in response to your question m quite happy to put my money where my mouth is. whatever you are on about. you bloody numpty

Looking at the rest of that chaps tweets, he says Cortese said he was staying to a group of 6 or so fans last night. Not really sure what to make of that. Not like him to double talk and would have been very easy for him to say , hopefully or something else vague.

Clutching at straws maybe, but was from the horses mouth

A few surpsing names amongst the "no" vote, I must say.

One I could have predicted. He is the biggest attention-seeking front-bottom to frequent the site. We all know who I am talking about.

Just had a look myself, there are some strange ones wanting Cortese to go and some strange ones to be fair wanting him to stay, I include myself in that list, never liked the man one bit but want to see him have a chance at want he has always spouted on about.

A few surpsing names amongst the "no" vote, I must say.

One I could have predicted. He is the biggest attention-seeking front-bottom to frequent the site. We all know who I am talking about.

The No voters are a strange mob, a mix of agenda ridden maniacs, Pompey fans and people who don't post like 'Haliology' - wonder how many of those are second logons?

The No voters are a strange mob, a mix of agenda ridden maniacs, Pompey fans and people who don't post like 'Haliology' - wonder how many of those are second logons?

People with massive agendas but without the courage to follow up in a public vote? I wonder who that could be?

People with massive agendas but without the courage to follow up in a public vote? I wonder who that could be?

I think roundly criticising all who voted no for whatever reason goes somewhat against the purpose of having an open public vote in the first place? Everyone who voted yes also has an agenda just a different one, besides, it's not like these polls mean anything.