Victor Wanyama - Officially Signed

patred44

As a couple of people have mentioned above, whether Celtic are a big club or not is a pointless debate... what the Hartson article prompts is a discussion about what is best for Wanyama, and whether Saints are likely to be in the bottom 6 next year as he seems to think.

Clearly most of us would expect us to not be near the bottom 6 next season, especially Cortese. If we are, Pochettino will be off I have no doubt.

As for Wanyama, it all makes perfect sense to me. Clearly we're not in Europe, and we may not be next season either, but by coming to us he is getting the chance to play week in, week out, against a higher overall standard of opposition. 6(I think) of our League opponents will be playing in Europe, and either he helps us to move up the league, or, if he continues his own development, he gains an even better reputation and would no doubt earn a move to a higher placed club in a couple of years if we don't live up to our expectations.

Hartson would do well to consider all that. Comparing clubs directly, most players would choose Celtic, but when you consider the league, the opposition, the exposure and the future opportunities, he has made (or rather, is about to make) a very good move.

Excellent post. But Hartson believing that we are bottom six relegation fodder just illustrates how out of touch with reality the idiot is and what a poor choice he is to be a pundit on TV. He really ought to be bright enough to figure out that if all of these brilliant players join little ole Southampton, they are likely to reap the benefits and cease to be relegation prospects. Come on John, join the dots together and try to reach a more logical conclusion. Shameful events in his past career as a footballer demonstrate that he isn't the sharpest tool in the box, but this sort of opinion illustrates that he doesn't even know much about the current football situation. A panel of Lawrenson, Savage and Hartson, what dross would that be?

Hartson doesn't get it.

Hartson is writing for a Scottish audience who are miffed one of their stars is leaving for a smaller club. Stories in the English editions would, and do, have totally different angles. Thats where this thread doesn't get it.

Threads like this is why I think it´s better with more specific threads and not to merge threads into one very general thread....

If it was it´s own thread "John Hartsons take on Wanyama move" everyone interested in that could discuss it in that specific thread and we could have a thread here about Wanyama instead of getting the thread destroyed by discussing the size of two different football clubs, in different countries etc etc etc...

What do you want to post about Wanyama on this thread that you feel you are unable to?

Hmmm, this will go down well... I've already bitten. What a bald fat ginger carthorse!

http://www.thesun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/5007492/Victor-Wanyama-move-is-a-step-down.html

another **** pundit due on motd. What a waste of licence payers fees.

Bit confused by Hartson's logic.

Over season we finished outside of bottom few where he rates us.

For the last 30 odd games we were 8th.

Our team is nearly all under peak age so majority still improving.

We have added an international CB from 4th rated side in world, IMHO the position where we were playing players not top half premiership level.

He clearly rates VW highly and says he will have big impact...

...and we will be worse??

Hartson is writing for a working class Scottish audience who are miffed one of their stars is leaving for a smaller club. Stories in the English editions would, and do, have totally different angles. Thats where this thread doesn't get it.

That may be true to a certain extent, but in this day and age, thanks to the internet and Newsnow etc, etc, articles are read all over the world. Also, there are plenty of papers who would happily have someone write the exact opposite to Hartson to ellicit a response, increase website hits and therefore online advertising revenue... cynical but true. Newspapers aren't exactly known for having articles that make people go 'Oh yes, I agree with that'.

You don't think a poorer side could have a good cup run? Have you seen football before?

Who won the FA cup?

If an average or poor side had a go at the CL every single season thanks to their poor standard league, there's a fair chance at some point they'd do ok.

They did a bit better than "ok". Look at the standard of team in the group they qualified from.

Excellent post. But Hartson believing that we are bottom six relegation fodder just illustrates how out of touch with reality the idiot is and what a poor choice he is to be a pundit on TV. He really ought to be bright enough to figure out that if all of these brilliant players join little ole Southampton, they are likely to reap the benefits and cease to be relegation prospects. Come on John, join the dots together and try to reach a more logical conclusion. Shameful events in his past career as a footballer demonstrate that he isn't the sharpest tool in the box, but this sort of opinion illustrates that he doesn't even know much about the current football situation. A panel of Lawrenson, Savage and Hartson, what dross would that be?

I was thinking this myself. He seems to be entirely focused on the big teams. Par for the course at the BBC. What is his reference material? The big book of Premiership facts 1995?

So bigger than us then ? What was their highest attendance ?

Oh god don't start him off with the 'but if we had a bigger ground our average would be higher' nonsense.

Its arguable Saints have more match going fans than Celtic etc....

That may be true to a certain extent, but in this day and age, thanks to the internet and Newsnow etc, etc, articles are read all over the world. Also, there are plenty of papers who would happily have someone write the exact opposite to Hartson to ellicit a response, increase website hits and therefore online advertising revenue... cynical but true. Newspapers aren't exactly known for having articles that make people go 'Oh yes, I agree with that'.

People tend to read the paper site that tells them what they want to hear. You don't tend to read the Scottish Sun in print or online unless you have a connection to Scotland.

In the English Sun sports pages it says positve stuff about plucky Saints making a great move. On the Scottish site it talks about how Celtic have pulled off a transfer masterstroke by multiplying their money 16times in two years.

A Vic-tory for Saints. VICTOR WANYAMA is set to undergo a medical at Southampton today ahead of a club-record move. http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/5007489/Victor-Wanyama-set-to-undergo-Sothampton-medical-today.html

VICTOR WANYAMA last night checked out of Celtic — as he waved goodbye to his Hoops team-mates. The big-money deal will see the Kenyan become the most expensive transfer in Scottish football history. And it sees Celts rake in almost 14 TIMES what they paid out for him just two years ago. Remarkably, the SPL champions plucked him from Belgian side Beerschot for just £900,000 in 2011.

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/5007739/Victor-Wanyama-jets-out-to-join-Saints.html

I don't have a problem with the article. As someone else put it very succinctly - apologies if I don't credit you - but facts are that we're a mid sized provincial club with wealthy backers, currently in the EPl and not in Celtic's class for support, and probably never will be. We would give them a good game home and away i reckon and it would be close but history and support - Hartson is right. TBF only a handful of GB clubs are though - Rangers, Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal...that's it i reckon.

I actually think Hartson is quite a good pundit on TV usually, speaks some sense.

With regards to this article, the obvious thing is that he is a bit of a hero for Celtic - the reason why he has been asked to comment on this story in the first place - so he is hardly likely to want to damage his rep with them by saying what a great move it is to Saints from Celtic.

All this talk of whether Celtic are a big club or not is ridiculous. They are a big side, who has had major European success in the past and competes yearly in Europe's biggest competition. They are hampered by the poor standard of their league, especially with Rangers situation, but in terms of international recognition, they are a bigger club than us, with a bigger fanbase.

No need to get hung up on this though. We are a fast growing club with big ambition, who are competing in the richest league in the world, giving us significant financial clout over a team like Celtic, and making us attractive to players like VW who want to play in the Prem.

the ole current bun is reporting there that it is Cortese 1 - 0 Agents

We pay Celtic £12.5m instead of the £12m initially agreed, they give £500,000 to agent. Wanyama bungs agent £250,000 out of his improved contract and agent takes hit of £250,000 from his original claim of £1m. Everyone gets what they want and reputations enhanced / faces saved all round.

I take Hatson's point about Celtic, although some have you cannot really argue about the size of the club compared to us.

And yes he is writing for a Scottish audience.

But he has fallen into the trap that so many have with Saints over the last two to three years. He's thinking of us as the same club we were when he was playing and that aint nothing like anymore.

Didnt Bally try to sign him from Arsenal before we got Shipperely ? Glad he didnt now - bloody idiot :lol:

Celtic are a "Big Club" what defines a big club? is it the amount of supporters they attract every week? is it the league they play in? or the trophies in their cabinet? I would like to give my answers to the Celtic question. They play in possibly the easiest league in the whole of Europe with only 1 or 2 other teams capable of beating them once a year, they are supported by a huge crowd every week, this is due to the fans having no other half decent teams to support & it is always better to say that you support the biggest team in the league. their trophy cabinet is probably full to bursting with SPL trophies, Scottish cups & the odd euro cup, the reason they have all these trophies is again because they have no threat from other teams. If Celtic played in the prem then I would suggest that they would be perrenial strugglers most probably a yoyo team along the lines of West ham etc. The whole argument of them being bigger than saints is based on history and attendance etc. well history is just that "in the past" saints are on the rise & teams all around europe will say that little old Southampton are not allowed to eat at the top table in the EPL, well things change & soon I hope teams & "pundits" will soon start to realise that we are for real & are on our way to success. So to conclude no I do not believe Celtic are a big club.

A Vic-tory for Saints. VICTOR WANYAMA is set to undergo a medical at Southampton today ahead of a club-record move. http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/5007489/Victor-Wanyama-set-to-undergo-Sothampton-medical-today.html

"The Celtic midfielder’s £12.5million switch looked dead after his agent Rob Moore asked for a £1m golden handshake.

But Saints chairman Nicola Cortese refused to cough up and Moore backed down when a switch to Cardiff also fell through."

"The Celtic midfielder’s £12.5million switch looked dead after his agent Rob Moore asked for a £1m golden handshake.

But Saints chairman Nicola Cortese refused to cough up and Moore backed down when a switch to Cardiff also fell through."

Yes thats the spin. Why are we paying £12.5m instead of the £12m agreed then?

Celtic are a "Big Club" what defines a big club? is it the amount of supporters they attract every week? is it the league they play in? or the trophies in their cabinet? I would like to give my answers to the Celtic question. They play in possibly the easiest league in the whole of Europe with only 1 or 2 other teams capable of beating them once a year, they are supported by a huge crowd every week, this is due to the fans having no other half decent teams to support & it is always better to say that you support the biggest team in the league. their trophy cabinet is probably full to bursting with SPL trophies, Scottish cups & the odd euro cup, the reason they have all these trophies is again because they have no threat from other teams. If Celtic played in the prem then I would suggest that they would be perrenial strugglers most probably a yoyo team along the lines of West ham etc. The whole argument of them being bigger than saints is based on history and attendance etc. well history is just that "in the past" saints are on the rise & teams all around europe will say that little old Southampton are not allowed to eat at the top table in the EPL, well things change & soon I hope teams & "pundits" will soon start to realise that we are for real & are on our way to success. So to conclude no I do not believe Celtic are a big club.

Why would Celtic struggle in the Premier League?

They'd be richer than "self-funded" clubs like Arsenal straight off the bat, and would be snapped up by Arabs/Russians in no time. They'd be huge.

They'd dwarf "on the up" Saints by a massive distance, that's for sure.

Who knows?

How do we know for sure that the original bid was for £12m?

Maybe Cardiff upped their bid and we edged ours up a bit to see them off?

Maybe its a way of the agent getting his cut indirectly?

I guess we'll never know...

No-ones embarrassed, nobody cares except for you.

Do you not think there is something very sad about 'tweeting' an average ex footballer, who doesn't even know or care you exist, to express your 'outrage' at an article he wrote that you didn't like?

Do you not think there is something very sad about 'tweeting' an average ex footballer, who doesn't even know or care you exist, to express your 'outrage' at an article he wrote that you didn't like?

How do you know anyone was outraged?

Anyway, no I don't think it's sad...I simply don't care. What people do with their time is their business.

How do you know anyone was outraged?

Anyway, no I don't think it's sad...I simply don't care. What people do with their time is their business.

You don't think its sad someone is desperately trying to be noticed by someone that doesn't give a f*ck about them??

It's not as if such behaviour merely confirms to the ex footballer that his column is being read and getting a reaction, which means likely means more money for him.

Well done for doing exactly what they wanted you to do then.

please read my tweet John, please, please, please. Oh and do you know how massive we are, we only haven't won 59 league titles because we have competition in our league.

Exactly my thoughts. Maybe we said, we'll pay Celtic £12.5m and give the agent 500k. Celtic then give his agent the other 500k meaning they get their £12m they wanted, his agents get the £1m they wanted whilst on the paperwork and records, they are only receiving 500k from us and we get the player!

Bung-alert!

I just don't understand why people like him have twitter accounts, or anyone involved in football for that matter. All you are going to receive is abuse from one party or another.

Apparently they are going to have 'reasoned debates' on them.