Keeping Track of the Contracts 2024-25

Over land and sea

So the most pressing contracts would appear to be:

Urgent: Ings, Bertrand, Romeu, Bednarek

Probably time to talk: Armstrong

Towards the end of this season: McCarthy, Djenepo and possibly Vestergaard if he keeps his form up over a longer period, never thought I would write that.

On 07/11/2020 at 14:56, Dusic said:

So the most pressing contracts would appear to be:

Urgent: Ings, Bertrand, Romeu, Bednarek

Probably time to talk: Armstrong

Towards the end of this season: McCarthy, Djenepo and possibly Vestergaard if he keeps his form up over a longer period, never thought I would write that.

It's all gone very quiet seeing Ings etc were on the verge a week or two ago

Interesting comments from Ralph in the pre-match interview when asked in regard to Romeo signing a new contract. Something along the lines of, 'others need to let us know sooner than later if they intend to remain with us on this journey, as the train is leaving the station....'

1 hour ago, Minsk said:

Interesting comments from Ralph in the pre-match interview when asked in regard to Romeo signing a new contract. Something along the lines of, 'others need to let us know sooner than later if they intend to remain with us on this journey, as the train is leaving the station....'

Hmm...hopefully "sooner rather than later" doesn't mean "we'll look to sell you in Jan if you're not on the train". 

We've seen this countless times. Ings (for example) has had time, opportunity and the means to sign a new contract should he and his agent so wish. The fact that he hasn't is a reflection that he is likely to be holding out to explore further options. No reflection on how much I love the man for his contribution to Saints, but it is clear that he is open for a move in the not too distant future. Maybe he signs and I'm proved wrong in this respect, but the signs are not good. 

Edited by Bananaman

4 minutes ago, Bananaman said:

We've seen this countless times. Ings (for example) has had time, opportunity and the means to sign a new contract should he and his agent so wish. The fact that he hasn't is a reflection that he is likely to be holding out to explore further options. No reflection on how much I love the man for his contribution to Saints, but it is clear that he is open for a move in the not too distant future. Maybe he signs and I'm proved wrong in this respect, but the signs are not good. 

I’m usually pessimistic but I think he will sign another contract.

Bednarek, I’m not as sure about.

Bednarek is surely doing a Hojbjerg as he has probably had an offer on the table for at least a year.

Bertrand will hopefully sign but can imagine he probably wants a longer deal than maybe we want to offer.

Ings needs to be done soon ish or it won't happen IMO.

1 hour ago, Bananaman said:

Ings and Bertie will sign - just a matter of time.

Bed will go I think - not 100% but not looking too good. Not sure he will be missed if we get a decent amount and Sally Sue works out.

Some of the speculation on here is unfounded and ridiculous. Not a shred of evidence to support any of the concerns expressed. We are in the midst of a pandemic facing an uncertain future. Contract talks are not urgent with any of these players. As we have seen with Romeu all parties have to find the time to sit down together and talk and agree a way forward and that is not easy during lockdown, bubbles or no bubbles and ZOOM is not secure enough for detailed talks.

It is unlikely Ryan Bertrand or Jan Bednarek could get a better deal than we can offer them at the moment, Ryan is approaching the sunset of his career while Jan is young and still has a lot to prove to attract serious interest from a 'big' club as an automatic starter. Why would he want to go to another medium sized club like ours with more or less the same level of achievement and ambition unless he really hates the area? Not that there has been the slightest hint of unrest or dissatisfaction with their lot from either player.

In Ryan's case it is known that he is ambitious for a future in football beyond ball-kicking with a DoF role (mentioned by RH) clearly on his horizon. While that may not be here perhaps he will want a new contract that helps him build towards his long term goals as well as providing him with a decent salary, perhaps by including help with coaching qualifications or even management training.

Patience in all matters is the best attribute to have right now.

Edited by Charlie Wayman

1 hour ago, trousers said:

If it's a matter of "it'll happen, just be patient" why would Ralph go public with his thinly veiled ultimatum? If anyone is showing signs of impatience, it's Ralph, isn't it?

You are right, but I have absolutely no doubt he is not referring to Ingsy. More likely Bednarek, possibly Bertrand but less likely. I reckon Bednarek is not convinced he won't end up as 4th choice, when Salisu is ready and Ralph restores Stephens because he is a better ball player which Ralph seems to prefer. Bednarek is more old school defender (and good at it). Hence why Ralph referred to buying in to the project, or some such words. 

45 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

You are right, but I have absolutely no doubt he is not referring to Ingsy. More likely Bednarek, possibly Bertrand but less likely. I reckon Bednarek is not convinced he won't end up as 4th choice, when Salisu is ready and Ralph restores Stephens because he is a better ball player which Ralph seems to prefer. Bednarek is more old school defender (and good at it). Hence why Ralph referred to buying in to the project, or some such words. 

Of all our CBs, I think Bednarek would surely have the least anxiety of not being a favourite of the Manager.

Given he has barely missed a minute since the Manager arrived.

Probably more likely to be a case of him thinking that he might get offers from a bigger club, given he is a regular starter for Poland, young but experienced at the top level, good character. Similar to Hojbjerg in many ways.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, VectisSaint said:

If Hasenhuttl prefers Stephens to Bednarek... why do you think Stephens is not currently playing?

I agree with Hasenhuttl and I'd rather Bednarek and Vestergaard start until Salisu is ready.

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

If Hasenhuttl prefers Stephens to Bednarek... why do you think Stephens is not currently playing?

I agree with Hasenhuttl and I'd rather Bednarek and Vestergaard start until Salisu is ready.

Because he had a bad game and was deservedly dropped. Bednarek has been in since in a largely winning team and Ralph has said himself he does not change a winning team. In the end Stephens is more of the type of player Ralph wants, like Vest has done lately he is far better at playing the ball out and delivering incisive, effective passes. Stephens will come back in when There is an opportunity. Don't get me wrong I like Bednarek and think he is a good defender (probably better than Stephens) but that's what he is, a defender, old school and its not exactly what Ralph wants and need for his system. 

• Confused 2

20 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

Because he had a bad game and was deservedly dropped. Bednarek has been in since in a largely winning team and Ralph has said himself he does not change a winning team. In the end Stephens is more of the type of player Ralph wants, like Vest has done lately he is far better at playing the ball out and delivering incisive, effective passes. Stephens will come back in when There is an opportunity. Don't get me wrong I like Bednarek and think he is a good defender (probably better than Stephens) but that's what he is, a defender, old school and its not exactly what Ralph wants and need for his system. 

Think he's got what he wants at the moment, until Salisu comes in, and then it will be 2 from 3.  I don't see Stephens as an option, and would expect him either to sit and accept he's 4th choice, and a utility option if desparate in the full back positions, or he'll look to leave in January or at the latest the summer. 

He's simply not good enough to be playing week in week out in the premier league.  I'm not sure I buy this whole "he's good on the ball", I think he's ok, but he's not great at all with the ball at his feet.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

Bednarek hasn't been in since Stephens "had a bad game". Thats Vestergaard.

Bednarek has played every league game this season. 34 last year and all 25 after Ralf came 2 years ago.

5 hours ago, Lets B Avenue said:

Bednarek hasn't been in since Stephens "had a bad game". Thats Vestergaard.

Bednarek has played every league game this season. 34 last year and all 25 after Ralf came 2 years ago.

I never said that Bednarek came back in when Stephens was dropped, that is you misreading/misunderstanding what I wrote, I said bednarek has been in a winning team since then (I know it was Vest that came in and played like a new man compared with the donkey he looked last season, and well done for doing so, always good when a player turns it around like he has). Anyway this is nothing to do with Stephens, this is a discussion about why some players, specifically Bednarek in this case may not be getting on board with the current project, because the manager has stated quite clearly that there are players (or a player) that has not demonstrated so far that they are no board and hence are not signing a new contract (yet), Ings and Bertrand are the others (and I dismiss Ings). I was merely putting forward a case why Bednarek is the most likely to be the main man on that list. The reasons are pretty obvious if you understand the way Hassenhuttl wants to operate and how Jan actually plays. It is quite clear (to me) that Jan could easily see why he doesn't think he will be first, second or even third choice - he could be wrong but its easy to see why he might think that way for the reasons I have explained before. Maybe you don't agree, thats fine, you're entitled to your opinion, although like many others you don't actually give any indication as to what that opinion might be, just content to should others down who express a perfectly valid, argued opinion. Stick to the point of the discussion and try reading and comprehending what is actually being said and you will be fine.

By the way its RALPH (2 years in and you don't even know his name, but you expect people to take your comments seriously)

9 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

I never said that Bednarek came back in when Stephens was dropped, that is you misreading/misunderstanding what I wrote, I said bednarek has been in a winning team since then (I know it was Vest that came in and played like a new man compared with the donkey he looked last season, and well done for doing so, always good when a player turns it around like he has). Anyway this is nothing to do with Stephens, this is a discussion about why some players, specifically Bednarek in this case may not be getting on board with the current project, because the manager has stated quite clearly that there are players (or a player) that has not demonstrated so far that they are no board and hence are not signing a new contract (yet), Ings and Bertrand are the others (and I dismiss Ings). I was merely putting forward a case why Bednarek is the most likely to be the main man on that list. The reasons are pretty obvious if you understand the way Hassenhuttl wants to operate and how Jan actually plays. It is quite clear (to me) that Jan could easily see why he doesn't think he will be first, second or even third choice - he could be wrong but its easy to see why he might think that way for the reasons I have explained before. Maybe you don't agree, thats fine, you're entitled to your opinion, although like many others you don't actually give any indication as to what that opinion might be, just content to should others down who express a perfectly valid, argued opinion. Stick to the point of the discussion and try reading and comprehending what is actually being said and you will be fine.

By the way its RALPH (2 years in and you don't even know his name, but you expect people to take your comments seriously)

I'm perfectly content to "should others down" and I'm not arrogant enough to expect that people take my comments seriously. I did not misread your post and any misunderstanding was due to the poor way you worded it. Try harder in future and you too will be fine.

Also, when did RALPH say he wouldn't change a winning team, as he has plenty of history doing just that and why are you dismissing Ings from the argument?

On 23/11/2020 at 12:27, trousers said:

If it's a matter of "it'll happen, just be patient" why would Ralph go public with his thinly veiled ultimatum? If anyone is showing signs of impatience, it's Ralph, isn't it?

He certainly did not name names. In fact it was a bloody stupid comment to make when you think about it, he is usually far more guarded than that.

No self respecting manger should air his concerns outside the boardroom.

5 hours ago, Avenue_Saint said:

If anyone here thinks Ralph favours Stephens over Bednarek, they’re a bit thick really. 

Stephens is the worst centre back at the club.

if we see that from a distance, Ralph knows that too as manager.

Congratulations. Your hugely insightful contribution to this discussion after 2 days is much appreciated. All that effort just so that you can deliver an infantile insult. Says it all really. Try contributing to a discussion once in a while, preferably after reading and comprehending the posts that you are responding to.

PS, sorry for the long words, I realise they may cause you some difficulty.  

1 hour ago, VectisSaint said:

Congratulations. Your hugely insightful contribution to this discussion after 2 days is much appreciated. All that effort just so that you can deliver an infantile insult. Says it all really. Try contributing to a discussion once in a while, preferably after reading and comprehending the posts that you are responding to.

PS, sorry for the long words, I realise they may cause you some difficulty.  

Nice monologue.

11 hours ago, Avenue_Saint said:

If anyone here thinks Ralph favours Stephens over Bednarek, they’re a bit thick really. 

Stephens is the worst centre back at the club.

if we see that from a distance, Ralph knows that too as manager.

That was this month.  Last month it was Vesterguard.  Before that it was Hoedt.  Fickle?  Yes.  Thick?  You've just lost the crowd...

Polite request- there are plenty of threads that descend into petty squabbling on this site, I’m guilty on occasion too.

But please not this thread. It’s an excellent reference point and has seen outstanding work over a good few years now by OLAS.

It really doesn’t do yourselves, the thread or OLAS credit to have that argument here.

Edited by Chewy
Sorry called OLAS ‘OWTS’ by accident!!
  • Like 2

Have to say I’m really happy with this, and pleasantly surprised. Thought he was the most at risk.

Just leaves Bertrand to sort this season and, depending on who you rate as critical, Armstrong and Ings next season?

Fair play to Crocker and team, they’ve had a load of work to get through, both ins and outs, and are doing an excellent job of it imho.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Have to say I’m really happy with this, and pleasantly surprised. Thought he was the most at risk.

Just leaves Bertrand to sort this season and, depending on who you rate as critical, Armstrong and Ings next season?

Fair play to Crocker and team, they’ve had a load of work to get through, both ins and outs, and are doing an excellent job of it imho.

Ings needs sorting ASAP.

• Like 1

• Over land and sea changed the title to Keeping Track of the Contracts 2024-25