Norwich Post Match Reaction

Batman

The problem comes from not bringing Osvaldo in earlier in the window, so they could get used to playing together.

Either way, I think this whole thread is ridiculously over-reactionary. We weren't THAT bad. Norwich are a good side and we were playing them at Carrow Road, a notoriously difficult place to go.

Yes, we haven't scored from open play, but it will come. Calm down all.

Defensively I thought we looked quite good. Loren has integrated well and looks solid with Fonte, Fox had one of his better games, but Chambers struggled. But for attacking options we must get back to Shaw and Clyne.

The problems are in midfield where we have lost our impetus, cutting edge, speed of movement and urgency. Too many passes go slowly sideways or backwards. Surely with all the options we now have there is a combination that will work? For me, we need the Morgan, Cork, AL central axis back together. They understand each other and the speed of thought and movement when they are together is so much better. VW fulfils a role, but it's too defensive as he doesn't see or make the cutting pass.

I'd fill the remaining starting places with JRod/Ramirez, Davis/ Ward-Prowse and Lambert. Osvaldo can be option from the bench until he looks sharper and fitter. Looked way off the pace today. VW may be an alternative to Davis/Ward-Prowse against tough opposition.

Defensively I thought we looked quite good. Loren has integrated well and looks solid with Fonte, Fox had one of his better games, but Chambers struggled. But for attacking options we must get back to Shaw and Clyne.

The problems are in midfield where we have lost our impetus, cutting edge, speed of movement and urgency. Too many passes go slowly sideways or backwards. Surely with all the options we now have there is a combination that will work? For me, we need the Morgan, Cork, AL central axis back together. They understand each other and the speed of thought and movement when they are together is so much better. VW fulfils a role, but it's too defensive as he doesn't see or make the cutting pass.

I'd fill the remaining starting places with JRod/Ramirez, Davis/ Ward-Prowse and Lambert. Osvaldo can be option from the bench until he looks sharper and fitter. Looked way off the pace today. VW may be an alternative to Davis/Ward-Prowse against tough opposition.

Grasping at straws me thinks. They hardly showed much 'speed of thought and movement' last season. If anything, Lallana is one of the main culprits as far as slowing our play and taking too many touches are concerned. Playing Cork would not address any of our problems - Wanyama is a better player. The question is whether we needed to spend £12m or whether the money would have been spent strengthening arguably more pressing areas. But that's all moot and now we have VW we should play him.

Grasping at straws me thinks. They hardly showed much 'speed of thought and movement' last season. If anything, Lallana is one of the main culprits as far as slowing our play and taking too many touches are concerned. Playing Cork would not address any of our problems - Wanyama is a better player. The question is whether we needed to spend £12m or whether the money would have been spent strengthening arguably more pressing areas. But that's all moot and now we have VW we should play him.

Shurlock; as the northerners would say. Bob on, son. Bob on.

We have a top half team/squad now, but for some reason it is not clicking. I think it will in the next few games, but the sooner the better.

Some of our play in very short spells today was very good, with quick linking up, but very little cutting edge. It all seems a little disjointed.

Couple of weeks off and this means 2 weeks on the training ground. You could see the frustration on the bench today.

It will come and we still have a great season ahead of us.... Sit back and enjoy.

Haven´t got the time to read back on the thread but I think what most people expected from the three first games were lose at West Brom, win against Sunderland and draw at Norwich....

That makes us pretty much at par at the moment. 3 games in, dont overreact to problems just yet.

Cant say that any team in the league really has impressed so far and that´s how it is, teams dont get up to speed before october really. Lets wait and see until then how the team comes along...

Just back from the game, I've calmed down a little since the final whistle but these are my thoughts from the game:

1. Whilst as a fan I don't insist on knowing exactly what our formation is, I usually have a fair idea but I had no clue today. It shouldn't matter whether or not as I fan I do however it didn't look like the players knew either. At the break we switched it up to 4-3-1-2 and then just as Lallana was getting going he was taken off.

2. Defensively we were solid. Lovren is such a good player.

3. I wish the players would be more incisive and pass the ball properly. They looked so tentative today and it only led to more mistakes. There was a massive lapses of concentration at times which led to the opposition breaking on us - that is unacceptable.

4. Wanyama had an absolute nightmare today. I have no idea why he wasn't hauled off. Stupid fouls, loose passing, and poor decision making. Lets hope it was just one of those days for him.

5. Clyne and Shaw have to come back in as they are the only players in the team with pace and any appetite to beat a man as a result. Our full-backs for Christs sake.

6. I can't work out Osvaldo, but it feels like he and Lambert cannot play in the same team. But Lambert must play if all we are going to do is lump it long which is becoming a concerning tactic.

7. Poor Morgan is getting lost in the shuffle - I don't think he is too comfortable with anything other than being in a two ahead of the defence and he definitely misses his partner Cork.

We didn't even need to play well today to win but as it turns out we couldn't even manage a half competent performance in midfield and attack. We're a young team and I am prepared for us to have games like this but performance levels were not at a good enough standard today. I am glad the players have a while to dwell on it because if they aren't going to pass the ball properly and move with purpose they may as well not bother at all.

Three observations, in order based on impact on the result:

1. Norwich were very, very good. It's a hard fixture and they look rock solid. At our very best we could have won that game but they made it really hard for us today.

2. We desperately missed Clyne and Shaw going forward, but away from home I'd prefer to see Fox and Chambers putting in a solid shift at the back (as they did) than careering forward and leaving exploitable space. The lack of width stunted us particularly today because Rodriguez was on the bench.

3. Lovren is absolutely brilliant. A real leader who reads everything, including the mood of the players. Pleasantly surprised to see him on the ball and running directly, knowing that anywhere on the pitch we can do that will draw a defender in and create space for one of us.

A change in manager and spending £30m, have we improved?

Who knows and who cares

Edited by DuncanRG

Nope and Palace's result today puts the Sunderland result in perspective. Sunderland are terrible. I would rather play without VW, Osvaldo and Ramirez and bring back Puncheon. We were a much better side last year. Thank god for the easy start!

Clyne and Shaw aren't in the team because of injury as far as I can see, I don't think Poch would play Chambers and Fox if the other two were fit enough to start. Agree that we do miss them going down the flanks though, and think Clyne would have done a better job of holding onto Redmond today as well.

Three observations, in order based on impact on the result:

1. Norwich were very, very good. It's a hard fixture and they look rock solid. At our very best we could have won that game but they made it really hard for us today.

2. We desperately missed Clyne and Shaw going forward, but away from home I'd prefer to see Fox and Chambers putting in a solid shift at the back (as they did) than careering forward and leaving exploitable space. The lack of width stunted us particularly today because Rodriguez was on the bench.

3. Lovren is absolutely brilliant. A real leader who reads everything, including the mood of the players. Pleasantly surprised to see him on the ball and running directly, knowing that anywhere on the pitch we can do that will draw a defender in and create space for one of us.

Who knows and who cares

Surely you wouldn't seriously like to see chambers and fox rather than clyne and shaw?? If you do you must be mad!

Surely you wouldn't seriously like to see chambers and fox rather than clyne and shaw?? If you do you must be mad!

Sorry, should have been clearer - I mean I'd rather see Fox and Chambers stay back away from home if them going forward will leave us vulnerable, as it normally does with Fox. Of course I want Clyne and Shaw back, cause they can attack and defend equally well.

I did also fail to mention that later in the game Chambers seriously lost track of Redmond and left him in all kinds of space.

Nope and Palace's result today puts the Sunderland result in perspective. Sunderland are terrible. I would rather play without VW, Osvaldo and Ramirez and bring back Puncheon. We were a much better side last year. Thank god for the easy start!

You mean that year we lost to Sunderland at home?

The problem comes from not bringing Osvaldo in earlier in the window, so they could get used to playing together.

Either way, I think this whole thread is ridiculously over-reactionary. We weren't THAT bad. Norwich are a good side and we were playing them at Carrow Road, a notoriously difficult place to go.

Yes, we haven't scored from open play, but it will come. Calm down all.

Osvaldo - I think it was said after he joined that we had agreed a deal with Roma in May, but presumably he wanted to see what else was on offer. If he lives up to expectation - or just hope - then fine, but frankly I think we had time to seek an alternative rather than someone who didn't really want to be here.

The reaction though is not just on todays result though is it ? Last week v Sunderland, a lot of huff and puff, but not convincing and we failed to take chances. With some poor defending thrown in.

This for me is the crux of the matter, and something very few want to face up to:

Its been a sideways move, rather than upwards move as far as results are concerned.

Lovren has improved the defence no doubt, but whether our midfield performances and striking options have improved remains to be seen.

I would rather have Wanyama and Osvaldo!

We have played 3 games and have 4 points. People need to chill!

You do know that we from the same games last year, WBA away, Sunderland home and Norwich away gathered only 1 point??

We have a top half team/squad now, but for some reason it is not clicking. I think it will in the next few games, but the sooner the better.

Some of our play in very short spells today was very good, with quick linking up, but very little cutting edge. It all seems a little disjointed.

Couple of weeks off and this means 2 weeks on the training ground. You could see the frustration on the bench today.

It will come and we still have a great season ahead of us.... Sit back and enjoy.

We have two weeks off but unfortunately most of our players will be on international duty so not much time to work on the training ground with all of them. Hate international breaks!

And 24 hours ago we were amazing? I despair, the morale debate I dont know about and neither do you, the performance is something we can comment upon

Poor, woeful and deeply lacking

We have not scored in open play

These are the facts.

It's obvious you weren't there troll, how was the Chesterfield game?

Worked today so not seen live streams, highlights or whatever. But at the end of the day 3 games in, 2 of them away, we're 9th. I know there's a few games tomorrow but its not a bad start.

Manager needs to find the right balance with the new players, once he's got that right we should be ok (top half, just).

Personally I would like to see Clyne in the team if he's fit as he was my player of the season last year, an absolute quality signing he was. Gives us some bite.

Not massively worried, knew it would be close, missing our two marrauding FBs will always cause us a problem considering we rely so so much from width those positions.

I still think that MoPo needs to be brave and drop Rickie, I love the man, but unless he adapts his game or we change our tactics to suit he is just press ganged in.

We are a good team, but we struggle to score goals, unfortunately, like the end of last year I think Ill be saying this a lot

It's a shame that we did not sign Osvaldo earlier and work out our best front four before the season started. I can't believe that from all the options available we can't find a combination that can score plenty of goals from open play. The only thing that concerns me is the lack of pace. I would find a place for Cork though.

Clyne and Shaw aren't in the team because of injury as far as I can see, I don't think Poch would play Chambers and Fox if the other two were fit enough to start. Agree that we do miss them going down the flanks though, and think Clyne would have done a better job of holding onto Redmond today as well.

We couldn't play Shaw if he's off to manure for 20 mill on Monday.

Norwich were very, very good. It's a hard fixture and they look rock solid. At our very best we could have won that game but they made it really hard for us today.

Having talked with Norwich fans after the game would have to disagree with this. They started with a lot of energy and moved the ball forward well but, like us, they had no end product. They did get crosses in but mainly poor. They were rarely a threat. Defensively they did enough because we didn't ask many questions.

The game was settled by two moments when the ball broke out of the penalty area to an attacking player. We hit the post, they scored. At least the pen decisions balanced out.

No need for the wailing & gnashing of teeth, this says it all.

Although I still believe the impact could have been better yesterday IF Shaw & Clyne had both played.

Wet Sham is now an interesting game tactically.

And so are the next 40 hours of transfer window.

Redmond today showed us what we have been missing for a long time. Width & pace.

With that in mind I was surprised MP did not play Clyne today who IMHO would have coped better with Redmond & Snodgrass.

We are always going to lose games, but we move the ball too slowly & can't really say we played well.

Sameproblem Pinnochio had last season; he likes pretty football but forgets that we need goals! With these tactics we will always struggle. And what did we get for all that money we spent on Osvaldo? Nothing of any value.

Two bookings in two games. Both arguably unjust, but we knew there was a disciplinary issue and short fuse before he came. At least this is an area in which he will live up to his billing.

Bench time for Wanyama. There have to be consequences for ****house performances like that. Especially when you are in for Cork. Broke up more of our play than Norwich did. And so slowwwww. We need to get the ball forward so much faster and VW jogging his lardy arse around doesnt help. Morgan and Cork, Shaw and Clyne for WHU.

Perhaps Big Vic always has an off day and gives a low key performance after a heady European night at Parkhead. Someone has to explain to him that this is no longer an acceptable excuse.

Your comment is a little unfair though, given how well he has performed in the first two games. That said, I agree Cork should be called back to the midfield with Morgan.

Redmond today showed us what we have been missing for a long time. Width & pace.

With that in mind I was surprised MP did not play Clyne today who IMHO would have coped better with Redmond & Snodgrass.

We are always going to lose games, but we move the ball too slowly & can't really say we played well.

Yes, team selection of the full backs was a little baffling.

Redmond - touted on here, but perhaps we don't scout lower leagues as we have moved on to greater goals of the "next level" and recruit from a 'better' calibre of player .

Just back from the game, I've calmed down a little since the final whistle but these are my thoughts from the game:

1. Whilst as a fan I don't insist on knowing exactly what our formation is, I usually have a fair idea but I had no clue today. It shouldn't matter whether or not as I fan I do however it didn't look like the players knew either. At the break we switched it up to 4-3-1-2 and then just as Lallana was getting going he was taken off.

2. Defensively we were solid. Lovren is such a good player.

3. I wish the players would be more incisive and pass the ball properly. They looked so tentative today and it only led to more mistakes. There was a massive lapses of concentration at times which led to the opposition breaking on us - that is unacceptable.

4. Wanyama had an absolute nightmare today. I have no idea why he wasn't hauled off. Stupid fouls, loose passing, and poor decision making. Lets hope it was just one of those days for him.

5. Clyne and Shaw have to come back in as they are the only players in the team with pace and any appetite to beat a man as a result. Our full-backs for Christs sake.

6. I can't work out Osvaldo, but it feels like he and Lambert cannot play in the same team. But Lambert must play if all we are going to do is lump it long which is becoming a concerning tactic.

7. Poor Morgan is getting lost in the shuffle - I don't think he is too comfortable with anything other than being in a two ahead of the defence and he definitely misses his partner Cork.

We didn't even need to play well today to win but as it turns out we couldn't even manage a half competent performance in midfield and attack. We're a young team and I am prepared for us to have games like this but performance levels were not at a good enough standard today. I am glad the players have a while to dwell on it because if they aren't going to pass the ball properly and move with purpose they may as well not bother at all.

That`s a good post amongst all the hysteria, very much my feelings from a frustrating time at norwich

Clyne played the full 90 minutes at Barnsley in midweek and looked sharp. Perhaps MP just didn't want to rush him back with two games in a week. But if both he and Shaw were fit enough for the bench, it does make you wonder why MP decided to go with far, far weaker options in an away game against tricky opposition.

Looked a lot like the ole diamond formation yesterday. I never like it much when Adkins played it either. I suppose the best you can say is that given we had a couple of championship full backs and were playing a stupid formation, we did pretty well to keep the game as tight as it was.

It was the first time I'd seen Osvaldo. He'll score goals I reckon! Dunno that there's room for him + Lambart in same team tho.

And what did we get for all that money we spent on Osvaldo? Nothing of any value.

Osvaldo hasn't paid back any of his price tag in 135 minutes? Must be sh1t. Get rid ... :rolleyes:

Do you remember how long it took bale to settle at spurs, or Henry to settle at arsenal? I'm going to give him a little longer before writing him off