Mayuka Going To Sochaux on Loan (Confirmed)

Glasgow_Saint

If true then that is disgusting - however I suggest you've just made that up.

Agreed. If this is true, thats appaling.

Not only can they not ply their trade and put themselves in the shop window, they are not even being allowed to keep themselves fit and sharp in order to keep their ability to ply their trade.

Preposterous (if true)

And he did that admirably.

I fail to see the sense to not even give him his (still open) squad number...just in case...especially as we have limited striking options and we are paying him.

We have 3 players who can play in the 1 striker position we employ so it would take a bizarre circumstance which meant us turning to Sharp and in any case, the club are more likely to invest time and opportunity in U21's if needed.

Not only can they not ply their trade and put themselves in the shop window, they are not even being allowed to keep themselves fit and sharp in order to keep their ability to ply their trade.

Preposterous (if true)

Is it that out of the ordinary. They are blatently not part of the squad, haven't been given squad numbers so I wouldn't expect (or want) them to be involved in first team training.

They should be alloweed to train with the U21s to keep themselves fit tho.

This is no different to what happens at all clubs with players not in the first team squad (look at Flaurant Malouda at Chelsea who trained with the reserves for all of last season after not being included in their first team squad).

just simply not good enough, as the fact that two managers gave him one start between them. Maybe a season of regular football will help him but i cant see it. He'll be 23 in a couple of months time, not some 18 year old sent out on loan to get first team experience. Another one like Forren and Lee where it hasn't paid off.

just simply not good enough, as the fact that two managers gave him one start between them. Maybe a season of regular football will help him but i cant see it. He'll be 23 in a couple of months time, not some 18 year old sent out on loan to get first team experience. Another one like Forren and Lee where it hasn't paid off.

You what ???

When did he let us down ?

He didnt score against Wigan in 20mins. Osvaldo hasnt scored in 135 minutes so far.

Ensuring they keep fit and occasionally play would enable clubs to have some trust that signing them they will be able to play immediately. Doing so is ensuring our original investments don't grow fat, unfit and become incapable of finding a new club. I'm all for the use of the under 21's but surely these pro players would have some use playing against them in practice matches.

Preposterous (if true)

Indeed restriction of trade is not permitted,however if they have refused loan moves then the case becomes less clear. We have to allow them to attend training of some sort or other I think.

Some interesting comments from Saint Charlie on the transfer window review thread re Billy Sharp and I know he does have some good contacts:

Just been told by someone who would definitely know that no bids from Prem teams came in for Billy this summer.

Also that Forest didn't want him (which was pretty obvious) and loan approaches were made by Barnsley, Doncaster and Sheff Wed, all of which wanted to pay far less than 50% of his wages hence being turned down.

Seems pretty clear that Billy isn't good enough for the prem but is on wages which Championship teams can't compete with.

Seems pretty clear that Billy isn't good enough for the prem but is on wages which Championship teams can't compete with.

But whose fault is that? The club made a mistake in giving him a contract on such high wages and are now trying to get out of that contract by giving the ultimatum of "give up the contract or we sabotage your career" Any other industry and they would be in an industrial tribunal.

But whose fault is that? The club made a mistake in giving him a contract on such high wages and are now trying to get out of that contract by giving the ultimatum of "give up the contract or we sabotage your career" Any other industry and they would be in an industrial tribunal.

He's getting paid for not having to do much. How many tribunals have you heard of for that reason? Also, this type of thing isn't unique to Saints. Lot's of clubs in the league will have players they want rid of but can't due to wages.

His wage was inflated due to promotion bonuses which is true for all our players. The club are only guilty of incenting success. There is no suggestion that we are trying to make him walk out, although I would imagine that you just really want that to be the case.

Edited by Dig Dig

What evidence have you got for that, other than what complete strangers have posted on the internet?

Billy has a choice. Stay here on high wages and not play or take a pay cut to go somewhere else.

What evidence have you got for that, other than what complete strangers have posted on the internet?

Billy has a choice. Stay here on high wages and not play or take a pay cut to go somewhere else.

None. Just as nether you or Dig Dig have better information to the contrary. I said what I said on the understanding that he was barred from training at Staplewood along with Tadanari and 1 other. If that isnt accurate I retract it.

None. Just as nether you or Dig Dig have better information to the contrary. I said what I said on the understanding that he was barred from training at Staplewood along with Tadanari and 1 other. If that isnt accurate I retract it.

First team training is for the first team squad. Everyone else trains with the U21's or what used to be the reserves. Nothing new here and certainly not a ban.

First team training is for the first team squad. Everyone else trains with the U21's or what used to be the reserves. Nothing new here and certainly not a ban.

Where do the U21s train then? I thought it was Staplewood. If he is just demoted to training with the U21s I dont have a problem with it.

Edited by buctootim

Some interesting comments from Saint Charlie on the transfer window review thread re Billy Sharp and I know he does have some good contacts:

Just been told by someone who would definitely know that no bids from Prem teams came in for Billy this summer.

Also that Forest didn't want him (which was pretty obvious) and loan approaches were made by Barnsley, Doncaster and Sheff Wed, all of which wanted to pay far less than 50% of his wages hence being turned down.

now why doesn't that surprise me, we let Punch go to Palace because the terms were obviously right, why we wouldn't let Sharp go to any other PL side would be surprising. We don't loan players out and still pay the majority of their salary, that's what this is about. It was the case for Dickson and I doubt that we've changed our policy.If players want to leave before the end of their contracts then they either find a club who can and will pay them what they want or take a part of their remaining contract from us and become free agents. Then there was the speculation that he was to go to Celtic if they qualified for the CL group stages which they did, obviously nothing in that one either.

All across Twitter, Facebook and the media today Shaerp is being linked with many clubs today. Yet he's just tweeted he's back in Southampton, having returned from spending the weekend up north with the wife and son. The plot thickens!!!

billy sharp ‏@billysharp10 43m

Just had the best lasagne of my life at ennios Southampton,my tuna wasn't bad last night ethier.great place to stay and eat

A red herring or maybe dropping in to buy him a beer might resolve what he's actually up to.

are you saying that S-Clarke is a liar? "Sharp has been told not to turn up to staplewood any more"

Are you saying that Glasgow is a liar?

Still waiting to hear what happened to Sharp's transfer to Celtic myself..who was it told us about that ?

Would have suited all parties but again 20k a week is a lot for them to pay.

I reckon he will go on loan to somewhere like Reading or Wigan, someone with parachute money who gets desparate.

Or he can take a pay cut of course.

Would have suited all parties but again 20k a week is a lot for them to pay.

I reckon he will go on loan to somewhere like Reading or Wigan, someone with parachute money who gets desparate.

Or he can take a pay cut of course.

Was reported yesterday that Sharp's on 15000/

The Premier League have just released the 2013/2014 Squad List for clubs. Sharp together with the other unmentionables are listed.

Maybe you could give the Ennio's hotel a call to confirm Sharp is staying there. Also have someone pop down to Staplewood to see if Sharp's training there today

Was reported yesterday that Sharp's on 15000/

The Premier League have just released the 2013/2014 Squad List for clubs. Sharp together with the other unmentionables are listed.

Maybe you could give the Ennio's hotel a call to confirm Sharp is staying there. Also have someone pop down to Staplewood to see if Sharp's training there today

You cannot leave any players off of your 25 man squad if there are spare places. We have only named 23 players, which HAD to include Sharps, Lee, Barnard, Martin and Forte. We would not have been allowed to only name 18 players with those still on our books.

Billy Sharps agent! But yes I'm sure your source knows better (must be NC?)

Sounds like his agent is aware of your status on here mate and has used you to leak false info about Prem interest.

You're another pawn in the sorry and seedy world of transfers but don't feel bad mate, plenty of people with access to 1000's have been used in the same way. It's a compliment if not anything else.

• 1 month later...
Was channel hopping a week or two ago and noticed Sochaux were live on BT Sport. Thought I'd have a quick look to see how Mayuka was getting on...he was subbed off with an injury within about a minute of watching it! Got the impression from the commentators that he played fairly well until then though.

Goes on loan for experience, gets injured. Quality.

Can't help but wonder if he'd have been better off staying, being part of the group and getting cup games/bench appearances for us.

He has had a tough start overthere, Sochaux are having a lot of trouble getting results at the moment.

They changed their manager 2 games ago and are now managed by Herve Renard, who left the Zambian national team to take this job. Funny coincidence, mayuka got injured in his first game in charge but was having a great game.

Can t help but think that ligue 1 is not the same type of game as the premier ligue and that we have moved on as a club and mayuka doesn't have the level to play here.

• 2 weeks later...
Aah, the old 'Wayne Thomas' shot.

Only with a different foot and from about 15 yards nearer.

Thomas actually swung a cross in from the same area of the pitch as he scored for Saints from for Tamworth yesterday, and set up a goal in the FA Cup 1st Round.