Rickie, Adam and J-Rod in England squad

trousers

Ready made chant for Saturday.. 'Rickie for England' 'Adam for England' etc. JR/Clyne/Shaw/JWP/Chambers.. Morgan pour France..

Can't imagine a England crowd singing it but you could fit "Morgan, Morgan, Morgan pour les Bleus, Morgan pour les Bleus" in to La Marseillaise

Delighted for all three of them but very surprised Rodriguez got a call up. He's got the potential to be world class but is nothing special ATM. Confidence seems to be his main problem so hopefully a call up will do him the world of good

Getting a decent run in the team helps. He has the attributes to be a top top player and is improving all the time. Sometimes his decision making is not the best but that comes with experience.

Delighted for all three of them but very surprised Rodriguez got a call up. He's got the potential to be world class but is nothing special ATM. Confidence seems to be his main problem so hopefully a call up will do him the world of good

This. (Although to me it is not a surprise, think he has shown for some time he would make the step up some on here haven't & that's fair but he had a great streak last season and did look the business back then)

Was thinking the same last few games. Just imagine a JRod with the self belief of an MLT in his prime, he always seemed to play better when he had a consistent run in the team.

I REALLY hope that this call up and (HOPEFULLY) some game time is that final spark that he needs.

On a downer note. I noticed Woy actually picked 28 players for two matches. I really hope JRod's run out (IF he gets one) is not the last 15/20 mins against Germany after they've torn us a new one in the first half.

What I actually came on here to post is that I hope both start at least one game each and get a decent hour. Sadly, I fear the likes of Rooney and Lampard will spend longer on the pitch.

You may be right, but at least the trend is that our English players are being recognised. With Clyne, Shaw and Ward-Prowse also on the fringes it really is an amazing time as a fan, we are not just making waves in the league but also in the very fabric of the national game.

Ignoring my efforts to get things back on track after the incident, really lads....... Come on!

Addressing Lighthouse's point:

What I actually came on here to post is that I hope both start at least one game each and get a decent hour. Sadly, I fear the likes of Rooney and Lampard will spend longer on the pitch.

West Ham fans a never ending source of mirth and insight:

Never been one for the noble for England shout he's good but not good enough for England! However if lallanna gets into the squad then nobes more than deserves to he is twice the player than that saints diving mug will ever be

Martin Keown in the fail

The WTF :mcinnes::scared::) comment comes right at the end

So Woy is maybe copying the way we play.....

Lee Clayton in Kensington asks: Is Jay Rodriguez good enough for England? I don’t believe he will go to the World Cup, but you can see Roy is trying to develop a conveyer belt of players who could get into that first team.

Rodriguez is another one that could be a surprise package. Was Andros Townsend good enough to play in a World Cup qualifier? He proved he was.

He’s very hard working and has a specific role playing that wide position in his team. He will come inside to help the play and there have been flashes of real quality.

It’s more surprising that he makes the squad compared to Adam Lallana, but he sticks rigidly to that Southampton blueprint of high pressing, attacking well – he has two goals in his last three matches – and his team duties will have impressed Roy Hodgson.

I said last week the Southampton style is something that can be copied, so perhaps Roy is having a look at the Southampton method. He might not be a standout player, but he does what he does well.

A bit of balance needed here.

Jay Rod has a lot of potential yet to be fulfilled at this club and this call up may be the kick start to his confidence that he needs to become a really good player. Watching him play it is obvious to see that he is a player who thrives on confidence and a settled place in the side.....scoring goals helps. BUT - he does go missing in games, and at times does not have that first touch necessary to be that really good player?. I think at £7m he was a snip for us and a better gambling "chip" than Ramirez in terms of investment. Can he do it.....I hope so and the England call up will help a fragile confidence no end.

Lallana has been a revelation last few games but don't lets get carried away. He has high spots and low spots (eg latter end of last season) I am not sure he is true international class generally but Hodgson needs to pick players based upon form because frankly he needs to given other options (Milner?).

Rickie - a bit like swearing in church, but 12 months from now he will gone from this club with a lot of great memories from the dark (but fun!) days we all shared in L1 while he built this club back up again out of the ashes, but to honestly think he will star in Brazil (in that climate,after another season of carrying the Saints back up to the top 6 Prem) is fanciful.

What is most important is that in Jan and next summer we will attract serious talent to this club as a result of these call ups and we should not underestimate that.

Jay Rod has a lot of potential yet to be fulfilled at this club and this call up may be the kick start to his confidence that he needs to become a really good player. Watching him play it is obvious to see that he is a player who thrives on confidence and a settled place in the side.....scoring goals helps. BUT - he does go missing in games, and at times does not have that first touch necessary to be that really good player?. I think at £7m he was a snip for us and a better gambling "chip" than Ramirez in terms of investment. Can he do it.....I hope so and the England call up will help a fragile confidence no end.

Lallana has been a revelation last few games but don't lets get carried away. He has high spots and low spots (eg latter end of last season) I am not sure he is true international class generally but Hodgson needs to pick players based upon form because frankly he needs to given other options (Milner?).

Rickie - a bit like swearing in church, but 12 months from now he will gone from this club with a lot of great memories from the dark (but fun!) days we all shared in L1 while he built this club back up again out of the ashes, but to honestly think he will star in Brazil (in that climate,after another season of carrying the Saints back up to the top 6 Prem) is fanciful.

What is most important is that in Jan and next summer we will attract serious talent to this club as a result of these call ups and we should not underestimate that.

He has a contract till 2016, he will be at the club at least until then and after that most likely take a coaching role.

My thoughts too, being in those surroundings along with a couple of mates, including one who has made his mark on the International stage will be really good for him in particular.

Very good news for all 3 of them, and for the standing of the club too.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2491656/Roy-Hodgson-delighted-Southampton-players-England-squad.html

Forget the beetroot factory; Southampton is turning into a World Cup dream factory and there is little wonder Roy Hodgson is giddy with excitement about the impact the Saints might have on England teams.

‘There are more,’ drooled Hodgson at Wembley as he noted the rapid progress of Luke Shaw, James Ward-Prowse and Calum Chambers. ‘And they have other players who are very interesting in their academy.

The good thing about this is that it'll attract even better young players to our academies, since not only do we develop them and create opportunities for them in the team but it seems it's a way into the england set up too (at all levels) too.

The good thing about this is that it'll attract even better young players to our academies, since not only do we develop them and create opportunities for them in the team but it seems it's a way into the england set up too (at all levels) too.

Already noticed

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2491758/JAMIE-REDKNAPP-Big-day-Rodriguez-perfect-reward-impressive-performances.html?ico=sport^headlines

Another good article about JRod but this part is the sweet spot

Southampton have benefited from the ambition of their chairman and the power they exert in their region, where they dominate. :p

Parents of talented children are aware of the opportunities given to young players, such as Theo Walcott, Gareth Bale, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and now Luke Shaw, among others.

They see a path through to the first team for their boys which rival Barclays Premier League clubs don't appear to offer. They are no longer a selling club. They are a club going places and Rodriguez's promotion into the senior England squad in a World Cup season is further evidence of that.

He'll finish his career with us IMO.

i agree. can't see him leaving to anywhere down a league, and what would be the point in letting him go to another prem club for the small price we would get for him. he is more important to us than a valuation of money can give us, so we keep him here as an inspiration and influence to the others around him, and he just gets more and more southamptoned by the day. when his playing career finshes he is then used, dodd style to keep the next generation going. he seems to have a genuine love of the club that i don't think he would have if he went anywhere slse now. use it both ways. look at how he talks with pride about both al and jr being with him at england.

Agreed and not just at academy level. For years we've suffered the "won't play for England/national team while at Southampton" syndrome and in Morgan's case, that is still so. But finally we may start to shake off that tag, which may also hopefully mean we get to keep them for longer as they don't get their eyes opened up by other teams (Theo/Alex to Arsenal etc).

I wonder if people realise that if Welbeck stays injured Roy has given us a massive hint that Jrod will start versus Chile?

And bearing in mind he will play his more standard/default team against Germany and his more experimental team against Chile (hint- look at what he said about Hart- not starting the first but will start v Germany) then I would suggest Roy might be inclined to pair Jrod with Rickie and put Adam on to supply them both as a way to get that Southampton way pressing up front bonus. Of course it may be Rooney Sturridge Jrod - but somehow i doubt it.

I reckon there will be three Southampton players on the pitch at the same time v Chile at some point - and a good chance that they will all start too!

I wonder if people realise that if Welbeck stays injured Roy has given us a massive hint that Jrod will start versus Chile?

And bearing in mind he will play his more standard/default team against Germany and his more experimental team against Chile (hint- look at what he said about Hart- not starting the first but will start v Germany) then I would suggest Roy might be inclined to pair Jrod with Rickie and put Adam on to supply them both as a way to get that Southampton way pressing up front bonus. Of course it may be Rooney Sturridge Jrod - but somehow i doubt it.

I reckon there will be three Southampton players on the pitch at the same time v Chile at some point - and a good chance that they will all start too!

Just been announced that Wellbeck is out of both games. Could mean J-rod gets a start against Chile as you say.

"Lallana picks the ball up on the right, Oooh a lovely deft touch nudges it past the onrushing Chilean defender, he plays a one-two with Wilshere, sees Rodriguez in space on the left, presents a perfectly weighted cross field pass to Rodriguez, Rodriguez controls it on the outside of his foot, he pushes it forward, he's running at the Chilean right back, he's still going, still going, still going, they're backing off him, he's pushed to the bye line, he looks up and sees Lambert rushing in....LAMBERT!!!!! OH WHAT A GOAL! He continues his England goalscoring exploits thanks to the hard work of his Southampton colleagues!!!!"

This will be the actual radio commentary on the night... :-D (We hope...)

I thought exactly the same thing, and on the basis only expensive tickets left for Germany but cheap ones still available for Chile (and Friday night being more convenient ) I reckon I'll do the Chile game in the hope to see 2 or hopefully 3 Saints players on at the same time.

will wait until after today's games to see if anyone drops out. I think wiltshere for Arsenal and Wellbeck will, a few more will help our boys get a look in.

Dead chuffed for them all and hope that this is a chance that Roy will genuinely LOOK at these players rather than sticking them into a pointless friendly to pay lip service to pressure.

It still stings that Le Tiss scored a hatrick for England B just before a WC and never had a sniff.

Does it not seem strange to you that he was given that contract if there is no chance of him being here in 2016?

How long was the contract billy sharp was on? We gave Puncheon a new deal then loaned him our a matter of weeks later. Harding got a new deal and was sold less than a year later, it's happened before and will happen again.

lallana is surely going to play

the lad is on fire

What makes me laugh is a few of us have been saying Lallana has all the attributes to play for England for 2,3 years and its only now he's finally getting noticed. Scoring that goal yesterday just after being called up makes Woy look like he's some sort of visionary, which he's definitely not.

Glad he's finally taking an interest though.

Irrespective, I'm sure Milner, Cleverley or Henderson could score a goal like that. AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA

What makes me laugh is a few of us have been saying Lallana has all the attributes to play for England for 2,3 years and its only now he's finally getting noticed. Scoring that goal yesterday just after being called up makes Woy look like he's some sort of visionary, which he's definitely not.

Irrespective, I'm sure Milner, Cleverley or Henderson could score a goal like that. AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA

Indeed. The only problem is that we shall all be expecting a goal like that in every game from now on.

I'd say that until this season Lallana hasn't been consistent or hard-working enough, so just this time, Hodgson might have got it right.

I'm pretty sure Gerrard, Lampard and Beckham couldn't score a goal like that either, but they've all been worth picking over the past 15 years...

What's wrong with what he said?

Quite. In my opinion the only way England will be able to compete and get to the last 4 of any tournaments in the next 12 years is to take the core of a successful club with a lot of English players playing in a specific way and build the best of the rest into that core - and there's no currently successful team with an English core better than Saints.

So, Saints don't have an English keeper up to the task, nor any English CBs or (with Cork not playing), any defensive midfielders. Plus they have to fit Rooney and Wilshere in really, so how would that work? Obviously Rodriguez is only a squad player at the moment, and Lambert's probably a sub with the short recovery times in tournament football, but it makes a lot of sense to try and graft Saints' pressing onto the England set up - the main problem is not having enough time (and possibly not enough coaching ability) to make that happen in an international break - but in the run up to a tournament there's almost a month to do it. Then your main problem is playing the press repeatedly in a tournament environment with short breaks.