January 2014 Transfer news & rumours

Glasgow_Saint

LUKE SHAW TRANSFER LATEST:

One player Chelsea are definitely interested in is Southampton's Luke Shaw.

The Blues think they've won their game of ''chicken'' with Manchester United over the teenage left-back after signalling their intentions.

Chelsea were concerned that United might steal a £22million march on them this week and nab the youngster but made it clear to the Old Trafford side that they would go toe-to-toe if required.

That seems to have scared United off, meaning Chelsea will probably wait until the summer before making their move. Any suggestion, though, that United are making a late move and the Blues will respond in kind.

It is crucial that they get Shaw, too. Remember, UEFA rules demand eight ''home-grown'' players (raised by club system or through youth ranks in the country) in the 25-man Champions League squad.

With doubts over the Blues futures of Ashley Cole, Frank Lampard and John Terry – all out of contract in the summer – and Ryan Bertrand unlikely to return from his loan spell at Aston Villa, Chelsea need some English players in their squad.

Shaw, of course, is a huge Blues fan, born in Kingston. But he recognises another four months of regular Premier League football will make him better-prepared for the step up next season.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/chelsea-transfer-news-latest-live-3096042#ixzz2ryTtIwOj

Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

The amount of people on here moaning about a lack of activity is ridiculous. For a start shipping out players that cannot cut it at PL level is a very good thing. It keeps the financial situation in check and also means there should be some decent cash available for the summer window where prices are more reasonable than in January. Also, if someone can outline who has been realistically available at a reasonable price to improve us during January the that would be helpful. I cannot think of any clubs that would want to sell players in their squad of the quality we need to improve our first eleven.

If you look at our league position it is abundantly clear that we are not going to finish above 8/9th place even if we bring in new faces of the right quality (not easy). We are also not going to be relegated or even remotely in danger of it so there is no pressure on us in that sense to strengthen right now. It would be madness to bring in some players for big money that have not been properly researched and evaulated just on the off chance that we might have a bit of a cup run.

This season is now the perfect opportunity to take stock, give our good youngsters a taste of the Premier League and work on targets for the summer under no pressure at all. If we do a late deal that is right for the club then great. If not, no worries. We have Wanyama returning from injury and will have Lovren and Ramirez back for the last 10 games or so of the season. Our 'second string' showed they are more than capable of playing well against Arsenal on Tuesday night and deserve the opportunity to progress.

Stop it, talking sense is not allowed, even tough it is the best post on this thread to date.

Edited by moonraker

Blatantly this.

We sign some striker none of us have ever heard of - finish eighth or ninth.

We don't - finish eighth or ninth.

Last January we signed Forren. That's it. And we kinda finished the season fine.

And the cup will be what will be. I am desperate for us to do well in a cup but you don't make signings for a cup run.

As it happens, I think we will sign a player today. But I am fine if we don't.

My feelings exactly. Funnily enough I actually think our transfer strategy in terms of rarely using the January window much at all other than to ship people out is a pretty good policy. Just look at the teams of similar standing that have bought loads of players over the last few years in the January window and it is clear that it is done out of pure panic. It is also noticeable that the plethora of signings has rarely done teams much good either. The likes of Cardiff, Fulham, Sunderland et al are simply going to bloat their squads and risk financial ruin in the process. Too much player turnover and lack of stability in clubs causes absolute chaos generally. I'm very pleased we have not to date adopted that policy or pandered to greedy fans wanting big money average signings NOW just becuase they need some excitement in the transfer window.

I can see the point of people who say wait till the summer. However, if we get rid of osvaldo and don't sign anyone, then it isn't a very promising sign for the summer. It could just be coincidence but I do think generally we want some sort of statement that our financial backing is still in place. This could be a signing now or a long term contract for mopo for instance.

It will be very disappointing if we don't bring in another striker. I know it's a natural reaction to get more frustrated by seeing the bottom 5 or 6 sides trying to buy a whole new team but even so we really do need a replacement up top. Gutted we didn't go in for Mitroglou, would have been ideal

Let's not kid ourselves, losing a £15mill striker for nothing and not signing a replacement is a sh*t window

The window isn't closed yet, so a case of premature ejaculation here.

But in any event, even if no replacement is signed, it is debateable whether getting rid of the bad apple in the barrel is a negative. And presumably you know all the ins and outs of the deal to know that we have "lost" him for nothing. So we don't receive a penny from Juventus and if they choose to sign him at the end of the loan, they can do it for nothing?

My feelings exactly. Funnily enough I actually think our transfer strategy in terms of rarely using the January window much at all other than to ship people out is a pretty good policy. Just look at the teams of similar standing that have bought loads of players over the last few years in the January window and it is clear that it is done out of pure panic. It is also noticeable that the plethora of signings has rarely done teams much good either. The likes of Cardiff, Fulham, Sunderland et al are simply going to bloat their squads and risk financial ruin in the process. Too much player turnover and lack of stability in clubs causes absolute chaos generally. I'm very pleased we have not to date adopted that policy or pandered to greedy fans wanting big money average signings NOW just becuase they need some excitement in the transfer window.

Spot on.

Have to say am amazed Man City are bringing in two more on mega money. Looking nailed on to win the league anyway and it all looks a bit (ironically) cheap.

You're seriously going to spend £40-50m every single window now, City? Quite happy not to support a club like that.

I can see the point of people who say wait till the summer. However, if we get rid of osvaldo and don't sign anyone, then it isn't a very promising sign for the summer. It could just be coincidence but I do think generally we want some sort of statement that our financial backing is still in place. This could be a signing now or a long term contract for mopo for instance.

Don't believe this transfer window tells us anything about what to expect in the summer.

Your post was us "losing a £15m striker for nothing", he will remain a Saints player beyond today and the loan arrangement has a potential future fee which means the club will recoup what we paid for him. Some even suggesting a profit.

We have lost him for the rest of the season for essentially nothing. Next season falls under the next transfer window, if we sell him in the summer and he is replaced then great, but for now it's a bit sh*t even if the club were forced into a tricky situation.

We have lost him for the rest of the season for essentially nothing. Next season falls under the next transfer window, if we sell him in the summer and he is replaced then great, but for now it's a bit sh*t even if the club were forced into a tricky situation.

I'm not sure why it's so important. We have nothing left to play for apart from the cup. Osvaldo barely played anyway. How many great games did he have for us? 2?

Don't forget as well as a loan fee we have saved on wages...

Would you prefer the club rushed into overpaying for a replacement in January? Is it not better that they get the next big money signing right and buy in the summer?

How's that worked out the last two summers? Our two record signings have been complete crap.

Did you read what I said? I said "Is it not better that they get the next big money signing right and buy in the summer?" Rather than making a last minute panic buy which you appear to be demanding.

You say our big signings have been "complete crap". I think they are all good players, Osvaldo failed as a good signing because of his character rather than footballing ability. Osvaldo is clearly a very talented footballer with character flaws. Lovren, Rodriguez, Wanyama and even Ramirez are all good signings.

Edited by Matthew Le God

And seen the emergence of Shaw, Chambers, Gallagher, Reed, Ward-Prowse, Targett. Think how much all of them are worth and saved the club needing to buy players.

Agree re Shaw, Chambers and JWP. Reed, Gallagher and Targett haven't contributed so far really.

Not really making any particular point, guess if anything it highlights how good the players we already had were.

However, in the last 17 months surely we could have brought in a better CB than Hooiveld?

Did you read what I said? I said "Is it not better that they get the next big money signing right and buy in the summer?" Rather than making a last minute panic buy which you appear to be demanding.

You say our big signings have been "complete crap". I think they are all good players, Osvaldo failed as a good signing because of his character rather than footballing ability. Osvaldo is clearly a very talented footballer with character flaws. Lovren, Rodriguez, Wanyama and even Ramirez are all good signings.

It's quite obvious what I'm saying. Our slow and steady approach to spending large amounts of money is proven to be rather crap, so I couldn't care less if we rushed a signing. It's not like our scouting network would have shut down because we didn't anticipate signing anyone anyway.

Edit

Edited by shurlock

Agree re Shaw, Chambers and JWP. Reed, Gallagher and Targett haven't contributed so far really.

My point was they've all moved into contention for a 1st team squad spot, saving the club the need to make large numbers of signings.

A policy of 2 or 3 high quality transfer signings each summer combined with high quality academy players progressing in to the first team is a solid long term strategy for any Premier League club. It allows Saints to spend big on a small number of high quality players rather than spreading that cash around on a high number of lower quality players.

Edited by Matthew Le God

A policy of 2 or 3 high quality transfer signings each summer combined with high quality academy players progressing in to the first team is a solid long term strategy for any Premier League club..

Completely agree and really like that strategy. But in the PL, with all the money and glamour, it would not be at all hard to find players who want to come here.

I know its hard to get good players like Lovren and Wanyama, but surely its easy for us to replace someone like Hooiveld, at least with a young player who might have some improvement in him.

Likewise, there would surely be players who could have an impact from the bench who are better than Guly, or Isgrove who will most likely be released end of season.

This season our first XI has been a match for anyone, and with slightly more competent squad players we would probably have 6 or 7 more points, and still be in the race for a top 7 spot.

We have 14 or 15 really good players, then the next 6 or so would probably struggle to get into a decent Championship side.

Not really making any particular point, guess if anything it highlights how good the players we already had were.

However, in the last 17 months surely we could have brought in a better CB than Hooiveld?

Perhaps but that doesn´t mean that we would have Hooiveld off our books since no other clubs would probably pay him the wages he got here so it would be a situation with perhaps 5 CB´s in the squad....

Dont think you want that as a manager...

Saints won't spend loadz of money on playerz lik i wont them 2.

Hi Simon,

More and more you remind me of Tim from the UK office series ala Mr Content / Mr Just happy to have a club. Am I right?

Tim: If you look at life like rolling a dice, then my situation now, as it stands - yeah, it may only be a 3. If I jack that in now, go for something bigger and better, yeah, I could easily roll a six - no problem, I could roll a 6... I could also roll a 1. OK? So, I think sometimes... Just leave the dice alone.

tumblr_lyds4kEVcg1qg96ino1_500.gif