January 2014 Transfer news & rumours

Glasgow_Saint

Lambert always carries knocks in the second half of the season and Gallagher shouldn't be the only remaining senior striker in that case. I know Jay can play up front but he is not the sort of player we like up there and isn't too comfortable with his back to goal.

Other than that I think we've made some astute moves this January in terms of moving on players and freeing up funds for the summer.

Summary: There is another 24 hours of the transfer and MAYBE something will happen. The interview is on Youtube so make of what was said rather than take into account all the bull sh*te being spouted on this thread.

A psychology graduate who doesn't know how to read body language, eye movement, and interprets solely his personal opinion , making it out as what was stated , is not a reliable source or to be believed.

In referral to Fitzhugh Fella I have to thoroughly agree. Time to lay off the constant mischief making and wind ups. Getting beyond a joke for someone once respected.

You need to sack your contact :-)

MP says @DejanLovren05 and @gasramirez10 are still out, but Rickie Lambert is back in training and will be in Saturday's squad

You could do both though. For little cost too. If we had some better attacking options on the bench on Tuesday we would probably have won.

The likes of Lallana and Rodriguez get flogged and play way too many minutes because there is nobody else.

We lack a clinical finisher who can move and run. Not sure thats low cost.

We are probably still not as big as we think,convincing players to come here is probably a lot harder now NC has left b2b WC in a few months.

If we don't lose any more players to injury and nobody leaves which to me is the most important thing,then I will be happy enough

what does this mean?

Agree that bringing in someone like Ings or Abel Hernandez would have been great.

It appears we now have the rare opportunity to blood another couple youngsters in the most competitive league. We have offloaded the deadwood so we have either prepared the squad for summer signings by making it leaner, or its the alternative that we all fear.

We will only find out in the next window. So until then enjoy the ride!

Is it? Burnley won't sell him in the middle of a promotion race for a place in the Premier League. If they don't get promoted, then the summer is the time for a club to buy him.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25944542

I am glad you cleared that up, maybe a list of all those you know won't be available would help us all wasting our time. In any event I said the likes of Ings, more the profile than the specific player.

So we're looking for something like this.

A player who is probably in his low to mid twenties

Is no worse than the players in our first 11

Has a good work ethic, isn't afraid of running his b*llocks off for 90 minutes

Can fit in with the squad and won't be a prima dona (would you like another Osvaldo?)

Is available now, mid season, so is coming probably from a team that isn't challenging for any honours or promotion

and will need to cost no more than £6m or so.

Oh, and in addition, there are at least 10 teams in the prem who want exactly the same thing and probably another 20 in europe.

Easy, I can't believe the club have been so inept as to fail in that one. Yawn

what does this mean?

It means that even though we believe we are a club on the up,not everyone believes that,to a international player that may be on our radar we are still a small mid table team in the premier league that has only just made it to the prem from L1,we are a small fish in a big pond and there is much bigger clubs out there that players would favour before joining us.

NC was brilliant at selling the Southampton dream to players does our new CEO have that ??? none of us know for sure,also it is WC year players are fighting for there spot and only world class players will be guaranteed a spot,the likes of Astori etc etc will be fighting all the way,will he jeopardise a WC spot to try his luck at Southampton,I very much doubt it

Can fit in with the squad and won't be a prima dona (would you like another Osvaldo?)

Is available now, mid season, so is coming probably from a team that isn't challenging for any honours or promotion

Oh, and in addition, there are at least 10 teams in the prem who want exactly the same thing and probably another 20 in europe.

will need to cost no more than £6m or so - why???

Is no worse than the players in our first 11 - do we not have a squad anymore or just 11?

Edited by Give it to Ron

May I introduce Seria B striker for Palermo, Abel Hernandez, meets all the criteria you state.

What this say? blocked at work...

http://gianlucadimarzio.com/en/calciomercato/inter-and-valencia-also-pursuing-osvaldo-who-wants-to-join-juve/

Juventus and Osvaldo are still being linked. The bianconeri have a made a formal offer to Southampton, a free loan with an option to buy. This was the same exact offer made by Valencia and Inter, but these clubs have yet to contact the player. Osvaldo has already agreed to join Juve, going to Turin is his preferred destination. It doesn’t appear that Vucinic staying would preclude Juve from acquiring Osvaldo. Conte is willing to take the risk of having 6 strikers on the roster to acquire Osvaldo, a player who is expected to be very motivated.

IMHO that's rubbish.

This is January transfer window.

It would be a poor way to run a club to panic buy players due to players being out for a couple of weeks. We don't need anyone now . we would like players and need players to keep growing but not January panic buys.

Tuesday was great night - with Lambert, Wanyama, Lovren, Ramirez and possibly Osvaldo still to return to the side.

Who are our rivals for 8th / 9th getting stronger? Newcastle lost their best player!

After seeing how fans tear into Fox, Ramirez and Osvaldo for not fitting into system I do buy MP's comments over your whinge

So you are happy with Guly as the only back up striker if Lamberts calf re-occurs?

What if Gallagher has a run of mare games - he is young and need nurturing in the coming few weeks. He visibly shrunk after that miss.

Sorry can see what you are saying but don't agree our squad is good enough to see out the season with what we have up front.

Unless Puncheon comes back :-)

My point is more disagreeing with the greedy sign anyone panic buys post I quoted.

Guly isn't the only back up to Lambert is he? We saw Gallagher do very well against the 3rd and 4th best CBs (after Lovren & Fonte ;) ). On the night the only criticism I had was the miss - but happens to best and now, having seen it on TV not as bad as I thought.

You say, what if Lambert's injury reoccurs and Gallagher has a bad run - would suggest as likely, if not more, that if we sign an Italian star he won't click straight away.

Also, with the way formations/ tactics change their are other options. If we put Cork/ Wanyama as DM we then have four more attacking players and to choose from Schneiderlin, JWP, Davis, Lallana, JayRod, Guly, Lambert, Gallagher, Isgrove - Chelsea do ok without scoring CFs!

I'm not saying never sign a player, or ignore opportunities this window if right player available just we shouldn't panic and what's the worst that will happen if we don't?

Tuesday wasn't a fluke and showed we have quality within. Hopefully Lovren and Ramirez will be back in a few weeks.

Still don't think, after Fonte's interview, Osvaldo's tweets that Osvaldo 100% gone.

Radio reporting Puncheon signed for Palace.

Finally, think it is sad that fans have the lack of passion/ enjoyment / excitement that people such as Fitzfella showed on Tuesday with negative comments about Gallagher starting. Each to their own but I still get excited about seeing a new prospect start.

My point is more disagreeing with the greedy sign anyone panic buys post I quoted.

Guly isn't the only back up to Lambert is he? We saw Gallagher do very well against the 3rd and 4th best CBs (after Lovren & Fonte ;) ). On the night the only criticism I had was the miss - but happens to best and now, having seen it on TV not as bad as I thought.

You say, what if Lambert's injury reoccurs and Gallagher has a bad run - would suggest as likely, if not more, that if we sign an Italian star he won't click straight away.

Also, with the way formations/ tactics change their are other options. If we put Cork/ Wanyama as DM we then have four more attacking players and to choose from Schneiderlin, JWP, Davis, Lallana, JayRod, Guly, Lambert, Gallagher, Isgrove - Chelsea do ok without scoring CFs!

I'm not saying never sign a player, or ignore opportunities this window if right player available just we shouldn't panic and what's the worst that will happen if we don't?

Tuesday wasn't a fluke and showed we have quality within. Hopefully Lovren and Ramirez will be back in a few weeks.

Still don't think, after Fonte's interview, Osvaldo's tweets that Osvaldo 100% gone.

Radio reporting Puncheon signed for Palace.

Finally, think it is sad that fans have the lack of passion/ enjoyment / excitement that people such as Fitzfella showed on Tuesday with negative comments about Gallagher starting. Each to their own but I still get excited about seeing a new prospect start.

Show me a negative comment about Gallagher? Dont make things up! Read what was actually written - if lambert get injured or Rodrigues who else is there apart from Gallagher are you happy to just throw him in? We need to nurture not feed him to the lions.

To add....there is no-one in the whole of Europe that is not better than what we had on the bench the other night?

I have no problem with Sam starting but am concerned that he is going to be relied on too much this is a cruel game.

Edited by Give it to Ron

Show me a negative comment about Gallagher? Dont make things up! Read what was actually written - if lambert get injured or Rodrigues who else is there apart from Gallagher are you happy to just throw him in? We need to nurture not feed him to the lions.

Exactly. There is an article in the , wait for it, Basingstoke Gazette, saying pretty much the same thing.

http://www.basingstokegazette.co.uk/sport/10975474.COMMENT__Saints_need_to_ship_out_Osvaldo_and_bring_in_a_replacement_before_transfer_window_slams_shut/

Wasn't yours. Was additional point on same post sorry. Fitzfella amongst others moaning on pre match thread. Assure you not made up but sorry if wasn't clear.

Reports are Lambert nearly back - our good first 23 games has given us a good opportunity to try squad / young players not be forced into signings which maybe more risky than would like.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Jordan Rhodes would be a good signing for

Right fee and no ITK

Would tick the right boxes for what we need

Don'y get the appeal of him. Clearly when you watch him his allround game is poor. He is a good finisher, but IMO just a slight upgrade on Sharp.

For a striker to do well in the PL they need better physical attributes than Rhodes who isn't overly strong, nor a great mover.

Wasn't yours. Was additional point on same post sorry. Fitzfella amongst others moaning on pre match thread. Assure you not made up but sorry if wasn't clear.

Reports are Lambert nearly back - our good first 23 games has given us a good opportunity to try squad / young players not be forced into signings which maybe more risky than would like.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I have no problems with that at all - just we are now reliant on an 18 year old.....I am perhaps overeacting but since that Twitchy Judas b8stard set our kids up am always 'over protective'.

Don'y get the appeal of him. Clearly when you watch him his allround game is poor. He is a good finisher, but IMO just a slight upgrade on Sharp.

For a striker to do well in the PL they need better physical attributes than Rhodes who isn't overly strong, nor a great mover.

He looks very similar to Crouch to me, think he'd be fine

Amazed how much you watch Blackburn!?

Rhodes scored more in L1 than Lambert and more in the Championship too.....

If Lambert can step up, Rhodes 100% can as his all round game is better and his scoring record much better too

If Lambert can step up, Rhodes 100% can as his all round game is better and his scoring record much better too

I like the look of Rhodes, but always thought his club were holding out for a whopper deal, as we are with Shaw.

Ings would fit in better to our 'style' than Rhodes.

Ings would fit in better to our 'style' than Rhodes.

Agreed. Im not recommending we move for Rhodes more defending his potential to step up to the prem.

Posters like Charlie who have probably never seen Rhodes play claiming he couldnt cope. Its these same posters that got upset and hysterical when people said Lambert wouldnt make it in the prem

Agreed. Im not recommending we move for Rhodes more defending his potential to step up to the prem.

Posters like Charlie who have probably never seen Rhodes play claiming he couldnt cope. Its these same posters that got upset and hysterical when people said Lambert wouldnt make it in the prem

We had this conversation a few weeks ago, Rhodes is neither good enough nor does he fit our style. Too immobile, perfect Championship player but no pace. Lots of scouts have had him watched but not even West Ham think he's good enough

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?47608-January-2014-Transfer-news-amp-rumours&p=1851683#post1851683

Edited by JoeShmoe

His scoring record in those leagues might be better, but ******** is his all round game better. Most pundits agree with Saint Charlie, great finisher but lacking an all round game.

In the way he plays football would seem the obvious answer.

Apart from its the wrong answer (IMO). Crouch's best part of his game is link up play, which is one of Rhodes' worst.

He is a good finisher for certain, but loads of clubs have been unsure about whether he can do it at a higher level, as am I.

Based on goal stats we would have gone for Rhodes instead of Jay Rod, but theres a reason why he elected to play for Scotland. He is limited.

Which Twitter account? Can range from a journalist, the player himself to a random person anywhere in the world.

Max @Talk_Futbol

Southampton's Dani Osvaldo has just landed in Turin to start the first part of his medical at Juventus. Fee agreed. #saintsfc #Juventus