January 2014 Transfer news & rumours

Glasgow_Saint

Hope we can bring in a decent striker, not easy this time of year but would give us a big boost. Sad osvaldo has not worked out but he hasn't really worked on and off the pitch.

done well to clear the dead wood which frees up wages. Would like to have seen punch stay or again, replaced with better.

Stick him in attacking midfield, were lacking creativity

No, we're not really lacking creativity. We're lacking a player to stick the chances in the back of the net. Having Lambert back, and getting Gallagher breaking through may help with that.

But if we were to sign anyone, it would have to be a striker.

If someone we've been keeping tabs on suddenly becomes available at the right price, then ok fine. But just trawling around for a centre forward ala Arry is madness.

We dont just talk the talk, when it comes to nippers and that sends out a powerful message to the next generation of parents who sit down and decide where their kids go. Having a pathway to the first team has to be a living and breathing thing, not just a set of words. What sends out the message that we're the club to sign for if your young and wanted by all the top teams, filling an Osvaldo sized gap with a Carlos kickaball on loan , or promoting a youngster whose been doing well in the stiffs. What could illustrate this more than when clyne was out during the last window. Instaed of signing a journeyman to fill in, we promoted young chambers and he's come on tremendously. Where would he be in his devolopment if we'd got someone else in? And what do other youth parents and players think when they see him getting a chance.

If someone we've been keeping tabs on suddenly becomes available at the right price, then ok fine. But just trawling around for a centre forward ala Arry is madness.

We dont just talk the talk, when it comes to nippers and that sends out a powerful message to the next generation of parents who sit down and decide where their kids go. Having a pathway to the first team has to be a living and breathing thing, not just a set of words. What sends out the message that we're the club to sign for if your young and wanted by all the top teams, filling an Osvaldo sized gap with a Carlos kickaball on loan , or promoting a youngster whose been doing well in the stiffs. What could illustrate this more than when clyne was out during the last window. Instaed of signing a journeyman to fill in, we promoted young chambers and he's come on tremendously. Where would he be in his devolopment if we'd got someone else in? And what do other youth parents and players think when they see him getting a chance.

This.

Gallagher is another case in point. How many other clubs would have started him against Arsenal?

Jim white from Sky tweeting that we have moved for Astori this link doesn't show any sign of slowing down

https://twitter.com/sky_jimwhite/status/429035156197089280

That Astori link simply won't go away.

Hmmm, Jim White has been close to the goings on at Saints over the last few years (albeit mainly via Cortese I suspect) so perhaps the most credible 'source' to-date re: Astori?

That isn't the real Jim White from SSN, it is someone messing about. For a start the real Jim White would have more than 1,562 followers, even I've got more than that! :D

Why? We have 4 centre halves but only Lambert who has proven he can lead the line and he is out of form.

I'm happy for us to put faith in Gallagher, Lambert and Jay rod as our strikers (maybe guly as backup.) until the summer. I have no faith in jos at all and yoshida is poor as well Imo. We need three decent cbs and the rest of the team will continue to contribute goals.

Why? We have 4 centre halves but only Lambert who has proven he can lead the line and he is out of form.

Only two of them are good enough for a top half Premier League side. Yoshida is bottom half Premier League quality and Hooiveld is a Championship level player. We do need another quality centre back to partner Lovren, which would then mean we have a good replacement in Fonte on the bench. May have to wait until the summer though.

Only two of them are good enough for a top half Premier League side. Yoshida is bottom half Premier League quality and Hooiveld is a Championship level player. We do need another quality centre back to partner Lovren, which would then mean we have a good replacement in Fonte on the bench. May have to wait until the summer though.

Which aspects of Yoshida's performance against Arsenal did you feel weren't up to standard? I don't see the problem with him at all personally. I don't think Jos is as bad as some would have us believe either. He has a mistake in him but the worst part of his game was removed today; Fox. You wont find many better 4th choice centre halves at mid-table Premier League teams. In an ideal world we would have someone better but I don't think it's a priority.

I'm more concerned about our second choice striker being an 18 year old who made his debut this month and our second choice 'keeper being badly flawed at Premier League level.

His passing in particular is terrible (especially given the team's style of play), but he also has other weaknesses... decision making, positioning and marking could all be a lot better.

Give it up pal. He played well against Arsenal and posters have made you look silly.

Which aspects of Yoshida's performance against Arsenal did you feel weren't up to standard? I don't see the problem with him at all personally. I don't think Jos is as bad as some would have us believe either. He has a mistake in him but the worst part of his game was removed today; Fox. You wont find many better 4th choice centre halves at mid-table Premier League teams. In an ideal world we would have someone better but I don't think it's a priority.

I'm more concerned about our second choice striker being an 18 year old who made his debut this month and our second choice 'keeper being badly flawed at Premier League level.

I felt he played OK against arsenal but he was still our worst player. His heading was terrible. Regardless, although he may be OK in some games he will also be rather poor (such as his horrendous error against villa.) I have little confidence in him but would be satisfied if he was fourth choice cb.

I think jos is terrible and no other top ten prem team would have him anywhere near their squads so can't agree with you there. He has served us well but needs to leave, hopefully in the summer. Moving him on allows maya to be fourth choice which I think would be OK. I think kelvin is alright as backup as long as boruc is not out longer term and I don't see any problem with giving Gallagher a chance until the summer. I agree with mopo

I felt he played OK against arsenal but he was still our worst player. His heading was terrible. Regardless, although he may be OK in some games he will also be rather poor (such as his horrendous error against villa.) I have little confidence in him but would be satisfied if he was fourth choice cb.

I think jos is terrible and no other top ten prem team would have him anywhere near their squads so can't agree with you there. He has served us well but needs to leave, hopefully in the summer. Moving him on allows maya to be fourth choice which I think would be OK. I think kelvin is alright as backup as long as boruc is not out longer term and I don't see any problem with giving Gallagher a chance until the summer. I agree with mopo

Players who lack match practice are going to make errors, that's why Yoshi made a poor error against Villa. It's no different so Gallagher's 'horrendous' error against Arsenal, when he missed a chance to put us 2-0 up from 5 yards out. You can't expect players to instantly come into a team and be consistent. When Maya played last season he was our best CB IMO. He is definitely good enough for where we are and if the rumours are to be believe he wants out for first team action. That's the problem, you can't have 4 Lovrens in the squad because 2 of them will know they are far too good to sit on Southampton's bench and become unsettled.

We're one Lambert injury away from being forced to play Gallagher every week.

We're one Lambert injury away from being forced to play Gallagher every week.

Well. I for one think that Gallagher is a reaj "find", and if Ricky is unfit, then I won't be at all worried about seeing Sam playing

Alan Shearer, Mike Channon, and Le Tiss didn't do too badly when they were "forced" into playing at 17/18 years of age

@Jim_SFCMedia: So, what will #deadlineday bring for #SaintsFC? @SouthamptonFC will be the first place for any news as soon as it's confirmed.

@Jim_SFCMedia: This is my fourth #deadlineday at #SaintsFC. If this one turns out to be as quiet as the last three, I won't complain - been a long week!

@SkyFootball: West Ham United are in advanced talks to sign Pablo Armero, Sky sources understand: http://t.co/9cZ0TBy0hY #SkyDeadlineDay

@SkySportsNews: Sky sources: Celtic accept bid from Crystal Palace for Joe Ledley. #SkyDeadlineDay #SSN

The way the club is conducting itself in this transfer window actually encourages me. We have cleared a lot of deadwood which frees up the wages and puts us in a strong position in the Summer, where I can see us once again bringing two or three 'big' signings.

The fact that we are giving the youngsters a chance fills me with pride. It was fantastic to see 4 British 18/19 year olds going toe to toe with the League leaders on Tuesday night. When I see the likes of Chelsea and City spending millions bringing in more foreigners it saddens me. By giving the youngsters a chance the club has saved millions. Luke Shaw is apparently worth £30M, what price Callum Chambers now? It means we have more to spend in the Summer but as I said we will probably only bring in two or three continuing a gradual evolution of the squad. Far better than the QPR model of trying to replace an entire team.

Has anyone thought that maybe KL has no intention of spending anymore money,she has declared she will give the manager the support he needs but that that is just words,actions will prove her intent and so far all we have done is offload,maybe her intention all along is to sell the club in the summer.