January 2014 Transfer news & rumours

Glasgow_Saint

Sky camerman on Twitter @SiCamHD:

MP just arrived at the training ground #saintsfc...Also hearing could be developments later today

Note: Pretty sure he did this last year and there was nothing.

They have to do that, just keeps people watching what is actually the most tedious day of TV in the world, ever.

It would appear that the adults are quite chilled about our window and the kids are mighty upset we have spunked millions on anybody, regardless of who they are.

exactly. it reminds me of that scene in MASH when Frank and Hawkeye go to see Col. Blake about a sniper on base

Frank:'We must do something. Anything!'

Hawkeye:'I agree with Frank. lets do anything'

it could easily be, 'We must buy somebody. ANYBODY!'

My point was they've all moved into contention for a 1st team squad spot, saving the club the need to make large numbers of signings.

A policy of 2 or 3 high quality transfer signings each summer combined with high quality academy players progressing in to the first team is a solid long term strategy for any Premier League club. It allows Saints to spend big on a small number of high quality players rather than spreading that cash around on a high number of lower quality players.

I have no issue with the strategy of focusing on purchasing small numbers of top quality players each summer. However when circumstances force you to let one of those players leave a loan player to cover the gaping hole that leaves should be the minimum expected imo.

While the Jan window can be abused, it does have its advantages in terms of integrating a player, especially if you're comfortably midtable. It can also be easier to coax a player away from a team that no longer has anything to play for which isn't the case in the summer when teams are uncertain whether they're going to be fighting relegation or chasing honours.

The implicit assumption, moreover, is that you can do all your business nice and early in the summer and crack on. Things rarely transpire that way and it's utter b*****ks for higher profile players. The reality is that things go down to the wire, messing up preseason and making it more difficult to gel a team.

So why above are you so distressed at us losing him?

It's not at losing him as such, or even the affect not replacing him immediately will have on the playing squad. It's more that it raises concerns as to the clubs ambitions now and how we seem happy to settle with what we've got, mid table mediocrity

Whilst I won't get my knickers in a twist it will be hugely dissappointing if we don't bring in a replacement for Osvaldo. Gallagher is very promising but it is a huge ask for him to replace an international striker. We technically only have Lambert and Gallagher as out and out strikers.

If the worse comes to the worse putting Hooiveld in as lone striker may prove a better option than it sounds. Making a nuisance of himself in our opponents goal area rather than ours might provide the distraction needed to allow our other strikers get in there and score.

If the worse comes to the worse putting Hooiveld in as lone striker may prove a better option than it sounds. Making a nuisance of himself in our opponents goal area rather than ours might provide the distraction needed to allow our other strikers get in there and score.

Seriously.

It's not at losing him as such, or even the affect not replacing him immediately will have on the playing squad. It's more that it raises concerns as to the clubs ambitions now and how we seem happy to settle with what we've got, mid table mediocrity

No it doesn't!!!

Be realistic are we going to achieve better than 9th????

I like to get someone in because I enjoy the transfer window and it's exciting when news comes from the ground regarding an iminent signing - Only for it then to be a youngster or something. We do a have team that can keep us at this level though, we're not going to have to look over our shoulders. If no purchases this window then hopefully the saved wages and 15m from osvaldo will be invested wisely in the summer.

Whilst I won't get my knickers in a twist it will be hugely dissappointing if we don't bring in a replacement for Osvaldo. Gallagher is very promising but it is a huge ask for him to replace an international striker. We technically only have Lambert and Gallagher as out and out strikers.

You're forgetting Jay-rod. We only play one up front! Three who can play in this position is plenty.

Edited by Andy Durman

And seen the emergence of Shaw, Chambers, Gallagher, Reed, Ward-Prowse, Targett. Think how much all of them are worth and saved the club needing to buy players.

To all the - unfortunate but accurate use of pejorative term related to nocturnal enuresis - posters out there concerned over lack of signings in this window and indeed the overwhelming new outflow of players ( Fox,Lee,Sharp,Barnard,Martin,Puncheon - combined sell on transfer value - under £2m and possibly Osvaldo)it might be worth pointing out that in THIS apparently going nowhere mid table mediocrity team the home grown young players appreciate rapidly in value at about a rate of £300,000 to £500,000 per completed EPL game at this age 18-20.

IF Chambers completes 20 EPL games at the level he does he will be a £6m+ player. If Gallagher does the same (PLUS SCORE A FEW GOALS )he will be a £6m+ player by May. JWP must already be thereabouts, Shaw is apparently a £20M+ player after 44 games, Reed and Targett - frankly if we look after them as per the others and they get some games then they will go upwards in value as well. Whats not to like? At this rate the 2018 World Cup team will be All-Saints players...just need an english goalie..

You're forgetting Jay-rod. We only play one up front! Three who can play in this possible is plenty.

We're currently one more injury away from Guly playing 90min with no backup apart from Isgrove. Neither of which have had much premier league experience.

Not buying anyone this window could be an indication that the club may be sold at the end of the season

In my mind what with the injuries and not much strength on the bench and a few moving on including nut job Osvaldo, surely it is blindingly obvious that we need a couple in, but whats the point of extra expenditure if plans are to sell the club. MP not committing further than the end of this season is surely another sign along with an Interim!!! chairman put in place.

Edited by Saint Billy

Not buying anyone this window could be an indication that the club may be sold at the end of the season

In my mind what with the injuries and not much strength on the bench and a few moving on including nut job Osvaldo, surely it is blindingly obvious that we need a couple in, but whats the point of extra expenditure if plans are to sell the club. MP not committing further than the end of this season is surely another sign along with a interim chairman put in place.

Or it could mean the players we are after are not available :mcinnes:

This. Not replacing Osvaldo will leave us short up front big time, we will need to at least get a loan in if we are serious about either pushing on in the league or winning the cup.

Everyone saying JRod can play up front on his own can't have watched him for a while. He is awful there. Love him playing from the left but not up front as the lone striker.

Agreed. Headless chicken.

Need CB and striker, and maybe keeper.

Lots of Wolves fans I know say they were relegated because all the players they had were of a similar quality. Lots of players, but very few outstanding (if any).

I would love to sign a striker, BUT only if he is better than what we have! Therefore I expect us not to sign anyone until the summer.

Not the end of the world, but would that be only 3 players we signed all season? Not very many players, but all Internationals.

You think Gallagher will score more second half of the season then Osvaldo would have?

Dani scored 3 in half a season, I'm willing to bet Sam will get more between now and the end of the season.

And I mean bet. If he doesn't, £10 from me to your chosen charity, if he does the opposite. You in?

Dani scored 3 in half a season, I'm willing to bet Sam will get more between now and the end of the season.

And I mean bet. If he doesn't, £10 from me to your chosen charity, if he does the opposite. You in?

No, because I don't bet and it's also really lame. Feel free to remember that post though as he won't score more then 3 league goals.