January 2014 Transfer news & rumours

Glasgow_Saint

My point is more disagreeing with the greedy sign anyone panic buys post I quoted.

Guly isn't the only back up to Lambert is he? We saw Gallagher do very well against the 3rd and 4th best CBs (after Lovren & Fonte ;) ). On the night the only criticism I had was the miss - but happens to best and now, having seen it on TV not as bad as I thought.

You say, what if Lambert's injury reoccurs and Gallagher has a bad run - would suggest as likely, if not more, that if we sign an Italian star he won't click straight away.

Also, with the way formations/ tactics change their are other options. If we put Cork/ Wanyama as DM we then have four more attacking players and to choose from Schneiderlin, JWP, Davis, Lallana, JayRod, Guly, Lambert, Gallagher, Isgrove - Chelsea do ok without scoring CFs!

I'm not saying never sign a player, or ignore opportunities this window if right player available just we shouldn't panic and what's the worst that will happen if we don't?

Tuesday wasn't a fluke and showed we have quality within. Hopefully Lovren and Ramirez will be back in a few weeks.

Still don't think, after Fonte's interview, Osvaldo's tweets that Osvaldo 100% gone.

Radio reporting Puncheon signed for Palace.

Finally, think it is sad that fans have the lack of passion/ enjoyment / excitement that people such as Fitzfella showed on Tuesday with negative comments about Gallagher starting. Each to their own but I still get excited about seeing a new prospect start.

I think that unfair criticism. I just didn't think he would be up to leading the line against the best team (ish) in the country. However I was quite pleasantly surprised and thought that miss was not as bad as it looked as not only did the ball come quickly it came across him and his timing had to be 100%. Don't get me wrong I am all for youngsters coming through and would prefer him to Do Prado but I remember a young full back we had called Phil Warner who got ripped to shreds by a rampant Overmars at Highbury and never played in the Premiership again. He needs to be nurtured and not relied upon.

Osvaldo is now in Turin according to Twitter

Which Twitter account? Can range from a journalist, the player himself to a random person anywhere in the world.

Max @Talk_Futbol

Southampton's Dani Osvaldo has just landed in Turin to start the first part of his medical at Juventus. Fee agreed. #saintsfc #Juventus

So it was the latter of those three.

From a Juve fan on Twitter:

Hashim0307: Osvaldo done!!!

Hashim0307: It has been confirmed by @dimarzio that Pablo Daniel Osvaldo is "practically a Juve player". He arrives in Italy tomorrow.

Hashim0307: Loan with option to buy for €20 mill. Ouch.

Hashim0307: The good thing is that there is no obligation to buy. In June, Juve can negotiate Osvaldo's price, but keep in mind he is likely to go to WC

tancredipalmeri: Che colpaccio la Juve con Osvaldo. Stanno dando le piste a tutti

tancredipalmeri: Intendiamoci, l'ultima cosa che serve alla Juventus è Osvaldo. Ma è comunque meglio di quasi tutti gli acquisti fatti dalle altre finora

tancredipalmeri: What a coup Juve with Osvaldo. They're giving all the tracks

tancredipalmeri: Mind you, the last thing you need to Juventus is Osvaldo. But it's still better than almost all purchases made by the other so far

From a Juve fan on Twitter:

Hashim0307: Osvaldo done!!!

Hashim0307: It has been confirmed by @dimarzio that Pablo Daniel Osvaldo is "practically a Juve player". He arrives in Italy tomorrow.

Hashim0307: Loan with option to buy for €20 mill. Ouch.

Hashim0307: The good thing is that there is no obligation to buy. In June, Juve can negotiate Osvaldo's price, but keep in mind he is likely to go to WC

So based on that, €20m is the max we could get for him in the summer, but could go lower depending on market forces.

mmm, the 20m option was a great deal but if there is no option and he either headbuuts another teammate, goes to the WC and has a nightmare, breaks his leg, whatever, he's back here in the summer

one things for sure, club must have been pretty desperate to get rid

Di Marzio says the bonuses we get for the loan make us up financially this season re Osvaldo.

Bearing in mind we have probably only paid a few installments we will probably not lose much on him.

Good move in that sense. Maybe we can try and sign a decent £15m striker this summer?

2nd time lucky and all that..

What a disappointing end to what could have been great,Osvaldo gone.

thing is I have never detested a Southampton player so much.....for letting the club down,putting us in a difficult position...needing a replacement.

And the most galling...he has got what he wanted...a move with a bumper pay packet too,I suspect.

any replacement will just smack of desperation.

i hope his career goes down the pan..

yes i I am very bitter..

thing is I have never detested a Southampton player so much.....for letting the club down,putting us in a difficult position...needing a replacement.

And the most galling...he has got what he wanted...a move with a bumper pay packet too,I suspect.

yes i I am very bitter..

What irritates me the most out of all of this...is as you said....he acts like a total ****** and gets a move to one of the biggest clubs in the world football.

Go figure.

yes i I am very bitter..

What can you expect, he probably came for the project and the project is gone, at least for this season, been playing up ever since he found out Cortese was going.

Di Marzio says the bonuses we get for the loan make us up financially this season re Osvaldo.

Bearing in mind we have probably only paid a few installments we will probably not lose much on him.

http://gianlucadimarzio.com/en/calciomercato/osvaldo-on-verge-of-joining-juve-the-details/

That's good to hear although i thought we paid a lot up front? maybe we didnt

What can you expect, he probably came for the project and the project is gone, at least for this season, been playing up ever since he found out Cortese was going.

Don't think that has anything to do with it what so ever.

There was a training ground confrontation during Christmas as well, which is why he mysteriously disappeared for a few weeks - only to then be followed by the FA Suspension. No idea who was involved, but I'm ITK on that one - it was a club cover up at the time to say he had an injury.

He could have got himself Red carded against villa too. The fact of the matter is that the bloke is a mentalist, he is a time bomb and can explode at any time with anyone. It doesn't matter if the chairman had left or not.

That's good to hear although i thought we paid a lot up front? maybe we didnt

I don't think any transfers are ever paid up front (Unless you're PSG or Man City that is!). There will always be an instalment plan, with added bonuses for achievements in terms of apps/goals/international honours etc.

For e.g - Mata wouldn't have cost an outright £37m, that would have been a structured deal over a period of say 18-24months.

Not sure if this has been posted, but a good summary from the pres-conf, by our good friend connor armstrong

Pochettino on Dani Osvaldo: "At the moment there is no news regarding Dani Osvaldo. But as I said before, there's still a day and a half left. There are many things that could happen in that time. It is something that the club will evaluate, if it does indeed happen. Anything is possible."

Pochettino on Jack Cork: "Jack Cork is a very important player for us and there is no possibility of him leaving the club."

Pochettino on incomings: "What I am saying is right now, signing someone who fits the profile of the player we are looking for is not easy."

Pochettino on deadline day: "I am very calm. We are fully aware that there is one day left. That in football is a very long time."

Pochettino on Danny Fox's departure: “I want to make public my gratitude to Danny Fox for his amazing professionalism during my time here and his great qualities as a player and a person. Matt Targett is going to train with us, and he has a chance of getting in the side if he performs at the level we look for.”

Pochettino on the Saints squad: "We have the tranquillity and calm to know that our squad is good enough, and there will not be many ins and outs."

FabRomano21: Southampton ready to accept Juventus bid for Pablo Daniel Osvaldo on loan with buy option of €20M in next minutes #saintsfc #SFC

Works for Di Marzio before Le God asks.

Of course, the "buy option" at the end of the season does NOT mean that he WILL be transferred.

That is the Achilles heel of Loan deals

Of course, the "buy option" at the end of the season does NOT mean that he WILL be transferred.

That is the Achilles heel of Loan deals

It's a worry. If he decides he isn't happy there and hits another team mate then we are stuck paying his wages again and probably no one will want to take him off our hands. Hope it works out there for him so we can get our money back.

What irritates me the most out of all of this...is as you said....he acts like a total ****** and gets a move to one of the biggest clubs in the world football.

Go figure.

This was posted on Twitter not sure if correct but wow:

Pablo Osvaldo has been in 8 different teams (Juventus 9th) in last 9 years but never reached 50 starts for any of them.

I don't think any transfers are ever paid up front (Unless you're PSG or Man City that is!). There will always be an instalment plan, with added bonuses for achievements in terms of apps/goals/international honours etc.

For e.g - Mata wouldn't have cost an outright £37m, that would have been a structured deal over a period of say 18-24months.

Thanks for the example. It certainly helped me understand that complicated theory you've put forward.

Thanks for the example. It certainly helped me understand that complicated theory you've put forward.

We have a lot of kids on this board, so I have to be careful and tailor my posts for them to understand. They do still struggle though, unfortunately.

He has been 'playing up' since he got here, could have been sent off against Sunderland and Villa at home, missing games here and there. Story of his career. Not sure how much game time he'll get at Juve or how he'll react to being on the bench. Edited by Sour Mash

Before the window I think most agreed our squad lacked depth. We have told the players not in our squad and sold a couple of fringe players. While this season is safe, there is still the FA cup to win. Have we trimmed the squad to save a bit of cash and to give the kids a chance while no real pressure? Or were we just clearing the decks before signing someone?

Before the window I think most agreed our squad lacked depth. We have told the players not in our squad and sold a couple of fringe players. While this season is safe, there is still the FA cup to win. Have we trimmed the squad to save a bit of cash and to give the kids a chance while no real pressure? Or were we just clearing the decks before signing someone?

Since the summer we have sold, released or loaned 21 players. We have signed just 3

Osvaldo TBC

Danny Fox

Aaron Martin

Lee Barnard

Tadanari Lee

Fraser Colmer

Billy Sharp

Emmanuel Mayuka

Dean Hammond

Danny Butterfield

Jason Puncheon

Tommy Forecast