January 2014 Transfer news & rumours

Glasgow_Saint

Blimey. Ince has gone to Palace.

as good a stepping stone club as any other, plus living in London or Swansea/Stoke/Sunderland. No competition. It will interesting to see how well he does. As we have seen top notch championship players certainly can succeed in the top flight despite the apparent rise in standards. I hope he does well, but if he does I'll be disappointed we didn't sign him, as he seems to meet many of our requirements, young etc.

as good a stepping stone club as any other, plus living in London or Swansea/Stoke/Sunderland. No competition. It will interesting to see how well he does. As we have seen top notch championship players certainly can succeed in the top flight despite the apparent rise in standards. I hope he does well, but if he does I'll be disappointed we didn't sign him, as he seems to meet many of our requirements, young etc.

Personally, I really don't think he is as good as the hype he seems to get on here.

Could of course be proved wrong and he may do very well, but I'm not going to be too upset (for now) that we haven't seemingly made any attempt to go after him.

May be a crude indicator, but looking at the teams that were in for him, Sunderland, Hull Palace suggests he's not (right now at the very least) at the level I would like us to be looking at.

With Lambert out for a few more weeks we do need someone in up front. Gallagher did well but it is too much to ask a nipper to lead the line

You need to sack your contact :-)

MP says @DejanLovren05 and @gasramirez10 are still out, but Rickie Lambert is back in training and will be in Saturday's squad

Yep, after listening to the press conference my money is now on Osvaldo leaving but no one coming in to replace him

Really, I thought his "not talking about it" was more of an opening for Dani to come back into the team once he sorts himself out. After all he is, by MPs own thinking, a player that fits out system...

Well i think it is pretty poor show...if we let Fox and most probably Osvaldo go...coupled with major injuries to Ramirez and Lovren and we won't be making any signings...very dissapointing

not buying this rubbish that they don't fit into Saints mould player...like Osvaldo did??

seriously it sounds like the owners are being tight and not giving the manager the cash to make signings, when our rivals are getting stronger...if you want improvement then you have to get better players in

when our rivals are getting stronger...

What rivals are these? We have a tiny tiny chance of relegation, a tiny tiny tiny chance of Europe. So we are stuck mid table and see no need to spend silly money on inflated January prices when we could blood some youth in preparation for next season.

And before someone shouts "the Cup, won't someone think of the Cup!" our current best xi should be OK for a decent run in that as well.

Telling comments

MP: “On Tuesday, we saw @Sam9allagher play very well. Why not give him the opportunity to keep playing?

MP: “It’s not easy to sign someone who fits the profile of player we want.”

MP: “@Mattytargett is going to train with us, and he has a chance of getting in the side if he performs at the level we look for.

MP: “Sam can work well and learn from Jay Rodriguez, Rickie Lambert and Adam Lallana.

So that suggests to me Gallagher is in and Osvaldo not part of his learning future so he is history. No replacement for Fox from outside the club. Right time for these decisions as we e playing well with this squad and safe from relegation. Summer is a time to strengthen when we have a pre season to bed in.

Well i think it is pretty poor show...if we let Fox and most probably Osvaldo go...coupled with major injuries to Ramirez and Lovren and we won't be making any signings...very dissapointing

not buying this rubbish that they don't fit into Saints mould player...like Osvaldo did??

seriously it sounds like the owners are being tight and not giving the manager the cash to make signings, when our rivals are getting stronger...if you want improvement then you have to get better players in

Why?

Chambers is a big improvement on Richardson, perhaps they think Targett will be an improvement on Fox.

Edited by Matthew Le God

I will be sorely disappointed if we don't sign anyone and Osvaldo goes.

Even with Fox going our squad now looks very very thin.

Why? Clyne's a better option at LB then Fox. We're having a clear out of deadwood which is exactly what we should be doing, we've had loads of players hanging around on the wage bill because we came up the leagues so quick

Right time for these decisions as we e playing well with this squad and safe from relegation. Summer is a time to strengthen when we have a pre season to bed in.

I actually think now would be a great time to bring players in. Have half a season to ease new players in, getting them used to our style, then come roaring out of the blocks next season.

I will be sorely disappointed if we don't sign anyone and Osvaldo goes.

Even with Fox going our squad now looks very very thin.

Perhaps so but we are playing well and are relatively safe. We would have cleared out some of the 'dead wood' and hopefully will be getting 2 or 3 decent signings in the Summer.

Telling comments

MP: “On Tuesday, we saw @Sam9allagher play very well. Why not give him the opportunity to keep playing?

MP: “It’s not easy to sign someone who fits the profile of player we want.”

MP: “@Mattytargett is going to train with us, and he has a chance of getting in the side if he performs at the level we look for.

MP: “Sam can work well and learn from Jay Rodriguez, Rickie Lambert and Adam Lallana.

So that suggests to me Gallagher is in and Osvaldo not part of his learning future so he is history. No replacement for Fox from outside the club. Right time for these decisions as we e playing well with this squad and safe from relegation. Summer is a time to strengthen when we have a pre season to bed in.

All fair enough points, but makes MP's comment from the other night of "One in, one out" seem a bit strange? Our squad is looking very light now. And the lift of a decent signing wouldn't do the club too much harm after the last few weeks.

IMHO that's rubbish.

This is January transfer window.

It would be a poor way to run a club to panic buy players due to players being out for a couple of weeks. We don't need anyone now . we would like players and need players to keep growing but not January panic buys.

Tuesday was great night - with Lambert, Wanyama, Lovren, Ramirez and possibly Osvaldo still to return to the side.

Who are our rivals for 8th / 9th getting stronger? Newcastle lost their best player!

After seeing how fans tear into Fox, Ramirez and Osvaldo for not fitting into system I do buy MP's comments over your whinge

We are probably still not as big as we think,convincing players to come here is probably a lot harder now NC has left b2b WC in a few months.

If we don't lose any more players to injury and nobody leaves which to me is the most important thing,then I will be happy enough

Not when the right player to suit our style is not already available. That is what he was saying

It's not only style now Ron, I think they have learned a tough lesson, character will be a major issue although it may cost us financially, it will cut out lots of problems.

I'm sorry but i don't buy into the summer bedding blah blah rubbish...most summer signings happen after pre season anyway

Saints don't need wholesale changes...but you simply can't lose Puncheon, Fox, probably Osvaldo and then Lovren and Ramirez to injury and not replace them.

All the best teams in the world keep improving window on window...it's called progress

Saints can't just use the youth team for absolutely everyhting...it's great that we have this conveyor belt of talent but let it not be at the sake of results.

Gallacher should be eased into the first team...not thrown in against Arsenal...he missed a sitter and might have cost us 3 points...harsh but true.

We need a quality replacement for Osvaldo and then use Gallagher now and then...i like him...he will be the replacement for big Rick...maybe even in the summer but we need more quality now.

It is so negative to simply say we are stuck in mid table...let's not sign anyone or improve...rubbish!

exactly why we fell down the leagues after we got into 8th under Lowe...you always need solid investment to compete.

We hear much about this vaunted scouting system...would be nice to actually to see some results...Lovren and Wanyam were great but you didn't need to be a scout to know that...Osvaldo epic fail.

Time for MoPo to use his contacts in La liga and Argentina...come on Saints fan expect better

I'm pleased.

We've got rid of Barnard, Sharp, Martin, Fox, and hopefully Osvaldo.

In has come Gallagher, Targett, Reed to the first team squad. We are in a position where we have pretty much locked into 9th for the rest of the season. Those young players can get invaluable experience over the next 3-4 months. And we have saved ourselves a fortune that could be put to better use in the summer.

I worry slightly about centre back but maybe an opportunity to look at Turnbull or Stephens over the next few months?

Sounds underwhelming on the transfer front after the comparative high after Tuesday. Think we are settling for what we have this season, affording the chance for some of the kids to grow into the 1st team as we are relatively safe and will then reassess in the summer. Does give the feeling of drifting toward the finish line rather than having a right good go at the end until the season (which may still happen with the kids but new signings can give tiring squads and the fans a lift).

Nonsense. Letting Fox go is a no brainer, you don't need a replacement for him. We have centre halves to replace Lovren, they may not be as good but our squad consisted of 4 centre halves, plus Victor could fill in. We have enough cover for GR , as we're strong in that role and he didn't start anyway. That just leaves Osvaldo. Why not use Sam G as back up to Rickie, with JRod able to fill in? When Clyne was unfit, Chambers stepped up to the plate after being give a chance. Who is to say Sam G wont, the signs were promising on Tuesday. I'd rather that than another Carlos-kick-a-ball whose only here for the money.

Why do we have to scramble around and get ripped off in the Jan window, its nothing to do with being tight we only got Foren in last Jan and look how that worked out? Unless there's someone we wont, have tracked and is good value, lets promote from within.

IMHO that's rubbish.

This is January transfer window.

It would be a poor way to run a club to panic buy players due to players being out for a couple of weeks. We don't need anyone now . we would like players and need players to keep growing but not January panic buys.

Tuesday was great night - with Lambert, Wanyama, Lovren, Ramirez and possibly Osvaldo still to return to the side.

Who are our rivals for 8th / 9th getting stronger? Newcastle lost their best player!

After seeing how fans tear into Fox, Ramirez and Osvaldo for not fitting into system I do buy MP's comments over your whinge

So you are happy with Guly as the only back up striker if Lamberts calf re-occurs?

What if Gallagher has a run of mare games - he is young and need nurturing in the coming few weeks. He visibly shrunk after that miss.

Sorry can see what you are saying but don't agree our squad is good enough to see out the season with what we have up front.

Unless Puncheon comes back :-)

Bit disappointed we don't look like replacing Osvaldo, or Gaston for that matter. With Lambert injured as well, we are so weak up top and it's not ideal.

An injury to Rodriguez and we are in a bit of a tricky position.

But if the right player isn't available at the right price, then we don't panic. We never have, so I doubt it'll change. There's no real need for us to panic by I guess, we'll either finish 9th or 10th.

Hard to ignore the fact that we have ended the window a hell of a lot weaker squad wise than we started though (through injuries as well as departures), when I think most agreed we needed a bit more depth anyway!

I would like a good CB and a pacey striker - but I am in favour of bringing the youngsters through if they're good enough.

You could do both though. For little cost too. If we had some better attacking options on the bench on Tuesday we would probably have won.

The likes of Lallana and Rodriguez get flogged and play way too many minutes because there is nobody else.