January 2014 Transfer news & rumours

Glasgow_Saint

Obtaining Astori now would be a sensible option,yes I know he's not a left back but would free up some options until we regroup in the summer,finding a long term LB.

We do need anther attacking option,most definitely ,even if it is short term.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Obtaining Astori now would be a sensible option,yes I know he's not a left back but would free up some options until we regroup in the summer,finding a long term LB.

We do need anther attacking option,most definitely ,even if it is short term.

Astori wants to play in the World Cup for Italy. How does coming to SMS to battle with Lovren Fonte and Maya at CB help that ? He is first choice at Seria A club Cagliari, a fans favourite there and just been voted 2nd or 3rd best Cb in seria A last year + and is seen by Prandelli every week. I would eat my hat if he joined in the next 24 hours.

IF he ever joins Saints ( and frankly he could easily join a bigger club than us ) it would be after the WC, not before ( which, incidentally would be better cos i reckon Italy will not get out of group so his price might be cheaper).

People overlooking the significance of getting Astori - would suggest that KL is serious about building on what we have.

Less the case with a striker which is a direct replacement for Osvaldo - one-in-one-out which doesn't involve a net gain.

Symbolically any Astori deal would speak absolute volumes.

People overlooking the significance of getting Astori - would suggest that KL is serious about building on what we have.

Less the case with a striker which is a direct replacement for Osvaldo - one-in-one-out which doesn't involve a net gain.

Symbolically any Astori deal would speak absolute volumes.

We wouldn't sneak Astori out of Italy without the Italian press getting wind of it. You know what they are like.

Don't think we're going to sign anyone significant, there would at least be some kind of rumours out by now with just over 24 hours left.

Agree. Most likely a loan striker to replace Osvaldo, with Lambert (when fit) and Gallagher also able to play.

No real need to replace Fox, he hasnt played for ages and only appeared 6 times anyway.

9b2e1bcd2e4b90c5b34e0ef77664523c_bigger.pngFulham Football Club@FulhamFC 7m

#FFC would like to welcome William Kvist to the Club, with the midfielder joining on loan. http://ow.ly/t6xzz pic.twitter.com/xWp9aKTV4I

FFS every club is doing business in this window, if we don't get someone in soon we'll rapidly start losing ground (goes upstairs to place rope and chair in position!!)

Do you want William Kvist on loan?

It's been a very quiet window. We shouldn't be jealous of transfers for transfers' sake, only worth worrying if players that could have improved our team have gone to rivals.

Alex Goring Crook @alex_crook

Still dont think Fox was the 'one out' Pochettino eas referring to #saintsfc

He is truly ITK

Indeed. The guy is a balloon! Like all the other ITK experts on twitter. I hope he knows how lambasted he is on here.

Don't think we're going to sign anyone significant, there would at least be some kind of rumours out by now with just over 24 hours left.

With Cortese gone and the CFO doing the leg work i expect he would be going about in a quieter fashion

Osvaldo will go on loan with an agreement to buy in the summer then we'll look at a loan signing. Hopefully a striker but we'll see. MP might well see us as safe now and look to spend time this season bringing on Gallagher and some other younger players

Tell you what, Toni Kroos to ManU would be another great signing for them. A front 4/5 of RVP, Rooney, Mata, Kroos and Januzai would be tasty no matter how bad it is behind them. Might also mean loan opportunities for Hernandez, Welbeck etc

It's not Welbeck and Henandez that would be concerned, they're strikers, it's players like the abysmally bad for UK football

Kagawa and Nani that would make way. They've already had a bit of a clear out and they're going to have another one in the summer.

Think Nani will go this week, feel a bit sorry for Kagawa, was great for Dortmund.

A far lower standard of football, in the Bundesliga there are 2 good teams, 2 reasonable teams and the rest are a pile of sh*te.

It's like the Scottish premier really. You only have to look at the "great players" who come to the PL from mediocre German sides and last half a season before they're begging to go back from whence they came.

any idea what time presser is today?

I think I saw a journo on twitter this morning say between 14:00 and 14:30 but there's been no announcement via the official twitter account yet. They usually tweet the details well in advance so...cliche alert... make of that what you will...

I think I saw a journo on twitter this morning say between 14:00 and 14:30 but there's been no announcement via the official twitter account yet. They usually tweet the details well in advance so...cliche alert... make of that what you will...

And then, as if by magic....

fa1e1ea4b49a59e6f2dff8365fa69f0a_bigger.jpegSouthampton FC@SouthamptonFC

Mauricio Pochettino will be speaking to the media this afternoon, and you’ll be able to watch live on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/southamptonfc

Spanner in the works?

@ Dimarzio: No of MirkoVucinic to @valenciacf Arsenal and wants to stay @juventusfc

@ SkySport: Di Marzio "It seems that # Vucinic has decided to stay at Juve #: wait for official communications" # AskSkySport24

Juventus general director Giuseppe Marotta says the Serie A leaders are keen to sign Southampton striker Dani Osvaldo.

Osvaldo, who is currently serving a two-week suspension as punishment for being involved in a training ground fight, is also a reported target of Spanish side Valencia.

"We like Osvaldo and we also know that other teams like him too," Marotta tells Gazzetta dello Sport. "He is a fantastic player but before we can buy we must sell."

From the bbc

Spanner in the works?

@ Dimarzio: No of MirkoVucinic to @valenciacf Arsenal and wants to stay @juventusfc

@ SkySport: Di Marzio "It seems that # Vucinic has decided to stay at Juve #: wait for official communications" # AskSkySport24

Pretty sure that changes nothing,Juve president has gone on record saying they are very keen on Osvaldo and Vucunic will only leave if he asks to leave,does seem fishy as other reports say they have made him train on his own as he was in negotiations with other teams

Might not matter if Vucinic stays put.

David Amoyal ‏@DavidAmoyal 9m

Yesterday we reported Juve was pursuing Osvaldo regardless of Vucinic leaving, not sure if that has changed

(David Amoyal is the guy that runs the english section of dimarzio's website)

Do you want William Kvist on loan?

It's been a very quiet window. We shouldn't be jealous of transfers for transfers' sake, only worth worrying if players that could have improved our team have gone to rivals.

I doubt he's ever seen him. Fans get weird about transfers. Everyone knows quantity over quality is daft, no-one really wants signings for the sake of it, but then they get impatient, need some excitement and just crave anything.

Every player joining another club is suddenly brilliant, they'll all settle and gel instantly, all play, all stay fit. Yet every season tells us a different story. There will always be 5 or 6 clubs fighting relegation and struggling badly, so there will always be a glut of desperate, or hopeful signings. If they all do it each year, 3 will still go down, so a couple can point to their signings and say look, that made the difference. Yet Palace's best signing has been Pulis, and Sunderland's Poyet.

:mcinnes: the levels of the understanding of humour beggar belief sometimes

It's difficult ground when a joke is the same as many posters serious posts. Or when dune and glasgow have trolled all the humour out of the place.

I am reassured now that you don't want William Kvist and the joke was very funny.

I'm also sure that if we keep typing William Kvist he'll score on saturday.

Yes, that's what worries me too, if he plays, being his début, he is bound to be made to look good by our, sometimes, comedic defending...