Sunderland 1 Saints 0 Match Reaction

Glasgow_Saint

Never mind the selections, the players on the pitch should and could have done the business, as did Sunderland's 9 replacements. My concern is our fringe players show no desire to improve and push for a team place and even the established players appeared strangely not that concerned. Lambert was going on about this being his last chance but he didn't play like it was did he?

We were poor in getting and keeping possession in defending and in attack.

Sunderland's replacements, on the other hand, whilst being far poorer on paper ran their hearts out!

The lack of commitment from the players on the field is what annoys me!

You need to stop harping on about Sunderland's side being nearly all replacements, Giaccherini and Borini are both full Italian internationals, Larsson is an international, so is Craig Gardener isn't he ? They have a better squad than us and Poyet knows how to use it to their advantage. When Guly is a Brazilian international and JWP is captaining England then people can come back to me and moan about the players "should be winning it". We have 14 fit senior pros and 2 or 3 goods U21s. The reason for our loss today is there and nowhere else. We need more players that's all, the manager knows that and no doubt feels that the "board" let him down this January. One inOne out is what he said which turned into 2 out and none in. If we had gotten 2 replacements in today's result might have been different. Never mind parking is free for 15 extra minutes now.

I'm one of the few who really doesn't give a toss about this. Don't know why, think things have moved on a bit since 1976 and all that. Yes I was there, and it was the greatest footballing day of my life. Time has moved on. The FA Cup just doesn't do it for me anymore. That said I do feel for the hardy souls who went today, but it could have been predicted so it wouldn't have had me gunning up the A1M to watch it. Am I alone in finding some the vitriol, particularly the anti-Pochettino vitriol somewhat distasteful, or is that just a symptom of a mongboard?

It's not that I don't give a toss because I would have liked to have won but I can see why we lost and can understand it at least. When I see Jos and Davis in the side I expect the worst anyway.

Fonte was injured - our midfield has played 3 times in a week. Wanyama was starting every game over Cork before he got injured and JWP is a mongboard golden boy. Only Guly and Davis are genuine downgrades at least from the perspective of the armchair managers on here.

Fonte was on the bench, and might have possibly been called upon to play 80 minutes if Hoiveld had pulled up lame at the first fence.

Perhaps a one legged Fonte might have been a better option than combining JH (own goal) and Yoshida.

Wanyama , is he match fit ? I can understand leaving either JC or MS out but not both.

What annoys me about our team selection is not only is it disrespectful to the fan-base, especially the travelling fans, but also the message it sends to our players – for me, it’s as good as telling them that whilst they remain Southampton players they have no chance of winning anything. Let’s face it, we’re never going to win the Premiership, and not selecting our strongest team means we’re never going to win a cup competition. I just cannot find any justification for that team selection; I’m upset and totally bewildered.

Well, once I've killed all my family as a consequence of this defeat, I will heading to Southampton to behead Poch. Probably as a result of wathcing it on telly from Oz, as opposed to a **** internet link, I thought, meh. No tears tonight - did ok, not enough.

Then somebody should let him know how they feel. If the Europa Cup is to blame then remove the FA Cup final qualification and award an extra league place. Perhaps then we wouldn't be bothered about going for 7th?

By winning the Cup we go straight into the group stage. Once there, we can rotate the squad as much as we like. If anything, it helps.

Worth mentioning that if Sunderland don't win the League Cup, 7th place could mean Europe somewhere obscene in late July.

Fonte was injured - our midfield has played 3 times in a week. Wanyama was starting every game over Cork before he got injured and JWP is a mongboard golden boy. Only Guly and Davis are genuine downgrades at least from the perspective of the armchair managers on here.
We haven't played 3 times in a week though. Why did Tuesday night take priority over today's game?

By winning the Cup we go straight into the group stage. Once there, we can rotate the squad as much as we like. If anything, it helps.

Worth mentioning that if Sunderland don't win the League Cup, 7th place could mean Europe somewhere obscene in late July.

Sh!t the bed, better start losing a few games then we wouldn't want to be in danger of finishing 7th then in that case.

Can we just get one thing straight and out of the way. The team selection was not disrespectful to the fans. Not only do you pay for a ticket, knowing full well that someone else is going to pick the team and therefore you might not agree with it but they have hardly disguised the fact that there would be changes have they? Every round of every competition has seen similar changes this season, and at any opportunity anyone at the club is asked about the cup they have talked about how it's a chance to "give the other players an opportunity".

If anyone paid and traveled to that game expecting to see a full strength team then it's their own fault.

The performance from the players picked on the other hand....

I think the bean counter is cutting, Physiotherapy budget cut I hear.

I worked out ( on the back of a fag packet of course) that this January's outs and the definitive transfer of Puncheon to Palace will bring in and save somewhere around 4 million from now to June. I really think we could have got a loan striker for a wee bit of that. I'll not be surprised when and if either club or key players when are sold this summer. She's sold everything else why should SFC be any different.

Agree totally with this. Will today's wrist-slitters be happy if we end up towards the bottom of the league next season because our players (like Swansea and others) are too ****ed from playing meaningless games against tin pot teams in the far flung corners of Europe? Add to that the endless Thursday and Sunday games????....no thanks.

Heard it all now. Teams don't want to win the fa cup because they might get into Europe. What a load of tosh. If teams are that bothered about the strain they will play their reserves out as spurs have done.

Do fans just want another 27 years of premiership nothingness? For all we know tHis might have been our best chance in the next 50 years to win the cup...win today worry about the consequences of winning...well never really.

QUOTE=Hopkins;1883978]Can we just get one thing straight and out of the way. The team selection was not disrespectful to the fans. Not only do you pay for a ticket, knowing full well that someone else is going to pick the team and therefore you might not agree with it but they have hardly disguised the fact that there would be changes have they? Every round of every competition has seen similar changes this season, and at any opportunity anyone at the club is asked about the cup they have talked about how it's a chance to "give the other players an opportunity".

If anyone paid and traveled to that game expecting to see a full strength team then it's their own fault.

Anyway when the ticket is half of it's normal price you can only expect half of the normal side right ??:smug::smug:

Amazed so many are having a go at players. How would you feel if you line up and see the reserves next to you?

I agree with you on the misplaced frustration but I don't think the problem was in the players' heads. I think it was in the fact that some crucial cogs in a quick-thinking, fast-reacting, high-intensity machine were missing - and they were replaced by players who are slow readers and lack intensity. Guly's the biggest example but not the only one.

And, on top of that, Kelvin's distribution was almost obscene and the Maya/Jos duo struggles to play out from the back, which meant that we were constantly surrendering possession when we're used to winning it in those areas.

Bull****.

Would you play with those stud marks all down your leg? He might have wanted to, it would not have been wise and the docs might have proscribed it anyway. He was never going to come on, he was on the bench to make up the numbers purely because we have no-one else, not the first time it's happened this season either.

they have hardly disguised the fact that there would be changes have they? Every round of every competition has seen similar changes this season, and at any opportunity anyone at the club is asked about the cup they have talked about how it's a chance to "give the other players an opportunity"....

Lallana saying this was the biggest game of the season doesn't tally with what you are saying though does it?

Can we just get one thing straight and out of the way. The team selection was not disrespectful to the fans. Not only do you pay for a ticket, knowing full well that someone else is going to pick the team and therefore you might not agree with it but they have hardly disguised the fact that there would be changes have they? Every round of every competition has seen similar changes this season, and at any opportunity anyone at the club is asked about the cup they have talked about how it's a chance to "give the other players an opportunity".

Anyway when the ticket is half of it's normal price you can only expect half of the normal side right ??:smug::smug:

Nice try, but somebody explained earlier that the prize money for getting this far made up for the lack of supporters.

Would you play with those stud marks all down your leg? He might have wanted to, it would not have been wise and the docs might have proscribed it anyway. He was never going to come on, he was on the bench to make up the numbers purely because we have no-one else, not the first time it's happened this season either.

If he wasn't allowed to play he wouldn't have been on the bench.

Nice try, but somebody explained earlier that the prize money for getting this far made up for the lack of supporters.

TV money, we got no prize money for this round 247,500£ TV money each, they get the 180,000£ prize money. you get far more money for a televised PL game though and one place higher in the league gets you nearly the entire amount of getting Wembley in the Cup I think.

Lallana saying this was the biggest game of the season doesn't tally with what you are saying though does it?

Lallana doesn't pick the team does he? I'm in no doubt thought that it was a big game for the players, who ever played, it was their biggest game of the season, but we were always going to make changes. The team that is picked doesn't change the relevance of the game, it was a big game, it just happened to be other players who were "given the opportunity" to perform in it. The players should have been good enough to win, or at least perform better than that, hence why we can be disappointed with the performance, but the team selection was always going to be like it was today.

When I say "anyone at the club" I obviously meant someone who had a say in picking the team.

TV money, we got no prize money for this round 247,500£ TV money each, they get the 180,000£ prize money. you get far more money for a televised PL game though and one place higher in the league gets you nearly the entire amount of getting Wembley in the Cup I think.

Win this game and all through and including the final is £3.24m, plus TV money. Perhaps we should have offered MM a share of that as a bonus?

http://www.thefa.com/thefacup/more/prize-fund

It will be interesting to see what response to this you get from the 800 plus that made the journey up there.

How many times have we won this season with Jos playing?

Ripping the heart of the midfield out total upset our style of our play.

Very very unhappy as the better team threw the FA cup away.

I do not think that we can blame Jos for this one?

You've got to be kidding?

Well that's that. I had a bad feeling about today, Sunderland are becoming our bogey team.

Let's face it we were going to crash out sooner or later. We might have fluked our way into a cup final but that would require a lot more luck and a lot more bottle than we've had recently.

I'm disappointed as well but I don't think that mid table obscurity is something to be taken for granted.

Away to Palace, 8th March.

so in fact we'd have gone into the next round just 3 days after a load of our players would have been scattered around the globe running their legs off trying to impress national team selectors, is that right ? Too much is too much, explains a lot, might as well go out today. We of course don't know the likely call ups but no doubt the club has a list of pre-selections already, players don't just get a phone call a couple of days before telling them that they're in or out.