Sunderland 1 Saints 0 Match Reaction

Glasgow_Saint

last season and earlier this season, the disregard for the cups was put at the door of NC

now he has gone and we continue to do it.

I get it in the league cup but the way this years FA Cup in going, I cant believe what we did today.

why is the club doing this?

I also could not agree with Scally. If Pochetino had stated before the game it would be a full strength side, no one would be rested there would have been a few more saints at the game, but fans have become wise to the clubs apathy for the cup competitions. Very disappointing.

last season and earlier this season, the disregard for the cups was put at the door of NC

I get it in the league cup but the way this years FA Cup in going, I cant believe what we did today.

Answers on a post card, but they will be hard pushed to get me to buy a ticket for an early round next year knowing full well that they aren't fussed about actually winning it. Reap what you sow.

These are the times that try men's souls. It's never pleasant to be caught in the machinery when a favourite comes unstitched, and in the case of this particular game, one had come to look on the playing of the match as a pure formality, a sort of quaint, old-world ceremony to be gone through before one sauntered up to Wembley to collect our trophy.

Unseen in the background, Fate was quietly slipping lead into the boxing-glove. Saints fans experienced the sort of abysmal soul-sadness which afflicts one of Tolstoy's Russian peasants when, after putting in a heavy day's work strangling his father, beating his wife, and dropping the baby into the city's reservoir, he turns to the cupboards, only to find the vodka bottle empty.

Not my words, that's good ole pg. But I think he sums things up nicely!

Not trying to unstitch bletch’s word cloud are you Bearsy? :)

Anyone want to explain to me why they think that the Sunderland team was weak today ?

No go on then man for man, all I can see is a lot of full internationals from good footballing nations. If I were they I'd be insulted by some of the reflections on their quality. I bet they had more full internationals on the pitch today than we did. When you look at some of them and their cost you wonder why we didn't try to sign some of them, like Vergini,I mean he has got to be better than Jos surely, 400K loan fee, drop in the ocean, they made that much and more from today's game. Think he comes from the same place as Mauricio as well, won the Argentine championship last season. Sometimes you have to wonder if our recruitment system is worth anything whatsoever. We probably just couldn't be assed to apply for work permits or would have been refused them because of our shocking record in the past, you know like Bleidilis and Tadanari Lee.

Edited by Window Cleaner

These are the times that try men's souls. It's never pleasant to be caught in the machinery when a favourite comes unstitched, and in the case of this particular game, one had come to look on the playing of the match as a pure formality, a sort of quaint, old-world ceremony to be gone through before one sauntered up to Wembley to collect our trophy.

Unseen in the background, Fate was quietly slipping lead into the boxing-glove. Saints fans experienced the sort of abysmal soul-sadness which afflicts one of Tolstoy's Russian peasants when, after putting in a heavy day's work strangling his father, beating his wife, and dropping the baby into the city's reservoir, he turns to the cupboards, only to find the vodka bottle empty.

Not my words, that's good ole pg. But I think he sums things up nicely!

Poch's English has come on leaps and bounds.

I see Chelsea are going out then and they have virtually their first XI on the pitch, bet Everton crush Swansea tomorrow as well.

You just can't overestimate enough the importance of being at home and having had a match less during the week. Citeh and Sunderland should have been made to play their games on Thursday, otherwise it tilts the whole playing board. We still had

5 or 6 players on the pitch today who were still playing in Hull on tuesday evening at nearly 10pm, Sunderland had zero players who've played this week and probably only 3 or 4 who've played at all in the last 14 days.

clubs are not bothered what the fans think at this level.

That is the reality.

Oh that's unfair, they're obviously concerned about what fans think about free parking, the fate of ageing heros and the quality of the beer and pies. I just assume where it concerns football they think that the average fan knows squat and they'd not be totally wrong. Sunderland are a good cup side, too good for our war weary and makeshift side today. Anyway the man who was driving the club on has gone and as we've a bean counter in his place nothing is surprising.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Looking at Manchester City tonight, they played as we did earlier in the season. Chased everything, harried Chelsea all game and kept possession. We need to do the same, but SRL and some others seemed to lack the energy today.

Lambert is nearly finished basically, if we had had an alternative we'd have played him today but we don't so we didn't. It's no good slagging the bloke off for that, he's 31 and is just dreaming of getting on the plane to Brazil, Woy wasn't watching him today

so nothing is lost and nothing is gained. The squad for the next round of internationals is already picked and if he's in that I wouldn't doubt that it's far more important to him than having to play at Sunderland just because we couldn't be assed to sign another striker.

Went to IKEA today so missed watching a stream; having only listened to the last 20 minutes or so of radio commentary, I'm glad I didn't waste the day. That said, I am surprised that we seemed to put in such a weak performance, a team with Shaw, Clyne Wanyama, JWP, Davis, Lambert, and Lallana should have created more.

Went to IKEA today so missed watching a stream; having only listened to the last 20 minutes or so of radio commentary, I'm glad I didn't waste the day. That said, I am surprised that we seemed to put in such a weak performance, a team with Shaw, Clyne Wanyama, JWP, Davis, Lambert, and Lallana should have created more.

As s*** as it was and as totally depressed as I feel I am at least thankful that I didn't have to go to IKEA.

But that's the point, the engine room was missing. I mean a Bentley is a lovely looking motor and it should go fast but if it doesn't have an engine it's only got about the same performance potential as a skip. Jack and Morgan are the hub of our side, without them nothing goes as it should. Have we actually won a game without Morgan this season ? Perhaps we have, I can't remember.

Mongs in overreaction shocker.

We played a pretty strong side - apart from Jrod and Morgan, that was basically the first XI after injuries are taken into account.

Is it really a surprise we freshened things in midfield given the toils of the past week and the work it is expected to do in our system? And it's not as if the players who came in are somehow vastly inferior -or at least according to self-righteous bedwetters on here. Some have been even claiming JWP, the next big thing, should be off to Brazil :lol:

Guly was the one surprise; but that's vastly different from stating we put out a disgusting, disgraceful, disrespectful team or whatever is mongboard mot du jour.

Maybe so, but a "pretty strong side" wasn't enough, we should have played our strongest side and won the game early. Both Jos and Yoshida are Championship players and only kept half decent when alongside Fonte or Lovren. Gully will be existing in the summer so just a nonsense to play him. And just playing Lambert as a lone striker was a mistake as was subbing Lallana for McQueen, surely the approach should be the other way around if at all. A debutant coming on to save the day:lol:

Regardless of the side we put out, that was a poor performance. A few of our players should be embarrassed about picking up their wages today.

It wasn't quite that bad but for an FA Cup game the intensity was poor throughout the team. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out throughout the week as even with a weakened team the players on the pitch could have raised the tempo and done far more. At times it felt like we were playing the game out of obligation and I bet Sunderland couldn't believe their luck.

There is massive expectation on the West Ham game now and failure to get 3pts there will really make this result seem even worse.

You've changed your tune. Last week you stated with absolute certainty that we wouldn't win the cup anyway because of the quality of the teams left in it. Now you're baffled why Poch didn't put out his strongest side.

Which is it?

You've changed your tune. Last week you stated with absolute certainty that we wouldn't win the cup anyway because of the quality of the teams left in it. Now you're baffled why Poch didn't put out his strongest side.

Which is it?

I dont think we will win the cup. I think the city or the winner of the arse game

however, despite my bleating, I like to see us have a go deep down

today, we really never

it answers a few questions for me

Guly should never play again

JWP needs a complete break

lambert's general play is utterly terrible

and chambers has over taken clyne

we looked god knows how much better in the last 20 mins when morgan and rodriguez came on

not to make a change at HT was quite disturbing really

I dont think we will win the cup. I think the city or the winner of the arse game

today, we really never

we looked god knows how much better in the last 20 mins when morgan and rodriguez came on

I never thought we would win the cup. We were, however, a ruddy good bet for a Wembley semi and even a Wembley final. In itself a worthy end to an excellent season. And a more honourable exit than today's abomination.

Still, some players had a lovely rest to prepare them for whatever it is that is so important from here until May.

Because those players provide the type of energy that's difficult to produce every 3 or 4 days for months on end.

5 games in 18 days where those lads have produced enormous amounts of energy, just the performance against Arsenal would have knocked the stuffing out of an averagely fit bloke for a month and yet they turn it on every 3.5 days. Our system requires energy by the shedload and you could see at the end of Tuesday's game (well on TV where you can study stuff) that those lads were running on empty, the reserve had gone and they had a thimblefull in the tank.

Today has unequivocally proven to me that we are the same little-league chicken-sh*t zero ambition outfit we've always been, only we've simply been through a few seasons of delusion, like a "virus going round" fever picked up from the other drooling toddlers at kindergarten.

Surely you didn't believe the propaganda machine. I have said many times, our most important aim at the beginning of our season 'remain in the premier league'. I cant imagine the Cup was talked about. Fat Sam had the right idea when Wham baled out at Forest and they have benefitted.

Premier League, Premier League, Premier league ! That's all that matters.

If our manager has made thi sour priority then good on him !

Because those players provide the type of energy that's difficult to produce every 3 or 4 days for months on end.

5 games in 18 days where those lads have produced enormous amounts of energy, just the performance against Arsenal would have knocked the stuffing out of an averagely fit bloke for a month and yet they turn it on every 3.5 days. Our system requires energy by the shedload and you could see at the end of Tuesday's game (well on TV where you can study stuff) that those lads were running on empty, the reserve had gone and they had a thimblefull in the tank.

but guly?

jesus, he was so slow and generally did nothing

surely our famed academy MUST have an attacker to come in?????????

I see Chelsea are going out then and they have virtually their first XI on the pitch, bet Everton crush Swansea tomorrow as well.

You just can't overestimate enough the importance of being at home and having had a match less during the week. Citeh and Sunderland should have been made to play their games on Thursday, otherwise it tilts the whole playing board. We still had

5 or 6 players on the pitch today who were still playing in Hull on tuesday evening at nearly 10pm, Sunderland had zero players who've played this week and probably only 3 or 4 who've played at all in the last 14 days.

A very well considered post. Hope the bedwetters understand this.

today, we really never

Clyne was our best player today. I think your wrong about Chambers being better. Clyne quicker, better going forward & a better defender IMHO.

Chambers is excellent too.

but guly?

jesus, he was so slow and generally did nothing

surely our famed academy MUST have an attacker to come in?????????

But there is no alternative to Guly and Jos. Eliminate the 3 players who had nothing left to give (JRod,Morgan and Jack) José with his leg..ouch and what is left, Isgrove ? some U21 flash in the pan...other than that Guly is all that's left. I've been saying this since January, too many games and not enough players. We needed signings but our current management crisis put paid to that, all we've done is offlaod players and got nothing in, so you're left with the dregs who are nowhere near the level required. We do have an attacker but his dad died last week and although we made him go to Hull with the team it obviously didn't work out well.

Edited by Window Cleaner

But there is no alternative to Guly and Jos. Eliminate the 3 players who had nothing left to give (JRod,Morgan and Jack) José with his leg..ouch and what is left, Isgrove ? some U21 flash in the pan...other than that Guly is all that's left. I've been saying this since January, too many games and not enough players. We needed signings but our current management crisis put paid to that, all we've done is offlaod players and got nothing in, so you're left with the dregs who are nowhere near the level required. We do have an attacker but his dad died last eek and although we made him go to Hull with the team it obviously didn't work out well.

Good post. We still have a fair way off until the end of the season and I expect the idea is to avoid us fizzling out in the league. Sacrificing the Cup, in order to do this has a certain logic to it.

Clyne was our best player today. I think your wrong about Chambers being better. Clyne quicker, better going forward & a better defender IMHO.

Chambers is excellent too.

Completely agree, Clyne made two great chances for lallana and lambert.

Jordan Sibley ‏@jordansibley · 4 mins

Disappointing day in Sunderland. Seen a lot of debate regarding team selection, so worth clarifying Rodriguez & Fonte weren't 100% #saintsfc

Hmm so on that basis only Boruc, Cork, and Schneiderlin were rested. Chambers and Clyne appear to be splitting games, and Wanyama is a senior player.

If the changes were forced then I have some sympathy, even if the performance wasn't good enough.

michael owen ✔ @themichaelowen

Follow

Wouldn't be best pleased if I were a Saints fan. Never going to win the League but definitely safe. The Cups are the only realistic thing

3:48 PM - 15 Feb 2014

michael owen ✔ @themichaelowen

Follow

they can win yet Pochetino rests half of his team. Quarter Final place up for grabs. He mustn't realise how important The FA Cup is.

Regardless of the side we put out, that was a poor performance. A few of our players should be embarrassed about picking up their wages today.

MP didn't send that team out to play s**t and lose 1-0. He's obviously got faith in some of the less regular players. Its a "Go out and show me you're better than Sunds reserves" mentality. We got away with it against Burnley and Yeovil and no-one batted an eyelid. We came unstuck today because the performance was lacking and Sund were (very) slightly a step up in quality.

How many of our regulars had a good game today? Shaw? Lallana? Lambert?

Meh. Been with friends all afternoon, perspective is everything. Boys were saying FA Cup is finished and it simply isn't the competition we all grew up remembering. To the foreign managers in the league it just isn't important, and when you see Melunsteen get sacked after 75 days can you blame them? The premier league has done many things for football in this country, but the old cup competitions and the international team have suffered massively. I couldn't tell you who won the FA cup three years ago but I could tell you who won the Champs League

We're just part of a degrading of the competition, sad because the fans and the English players obviously still have that desire but in 5-10 years it will be an anachronism unless something changes

So here's a different perspective for the bedwetters to chew on when they finally dry their eyes (congrats on winning the bedwetting final by the way...surpassed all previous attempts by a county mile)

Saints had 'three' stonewall goals today f*cked up by two of our most highly rated players and one so called neutral....Lallana missed a one yard sitter...Lambert missed a one yard sitter and Gully got him self one on one with their goalkeeper when he was ruled offside, when he was clearly onside by a country mile......Not our best day at the office for sure...but on another day that game would have been 1-3...

As for calling for Potchettino's head....I've never heard of anything so pathetic in 40+ years of following the sport....words totally fail me.....This has truly been a memorable day.......Shame on you!

So here's a different perspective for the bedwetters to chew on when they finally dry their eyes (congrats on winning the bedwetting final by the way...surpassed all previous attempts by a county mile)

Saints had 'three' stonewall goals today f*cked up by two of our most highly rated players and one so called neutral....Lallana missed a one yard sitter...Lambert missed a one yard sitter and Gully got him self one on one with their goalkeeper when he was ruled offside, when he was clearly onside by a country mile......Not our best day at the office for sure...but on another day that game would have been 1-3...

As for calling for Potchettino's head....I've never heard of anything so pathetic in 40+ years of following the sport....words totally fail me.....This has truly been a memorable day.......Shame on you!

Don't rewrite history. Mopo ****ed up royally today.

Meh. Been with friends all afternoon, perspective is everything. Boys were saying FA Cup is finished and it simply isn't the competition we all grew up remembering. To the foreign managers in the league it just isn't important, and when you see Melunsteen get sacked after 75 days can you blame them? The premier league has done many things for football in this country, but the old cup competitions and the international team have suffered massively. I couldn't tell you who won the FA cup three years ago but I could tell you who won the Champs League

We're just part of a degrading of the competition, sad because the fans and the English players obviously still have that desire but in 5-10 years it will be an anachronism unless something changes

If everyone thinks like that it will downgrade it. Tell that to the850 who were there!

I will add shroppie. If he thinks he will get the tools for CL push next season. why has he not signed a new contract?

surely his stock is far higher and would want a pay rise

Maybe because it's still got over a year to run and he's keeping his options open.

Really don't know why I bother posting during meltdown trolling mania. Just thought it might be fun to out-troll the trolls, but should have known better.

I shall not continue the mistake. That is all. Goodnight.