Sunderland 1 Saints 0 Match Reaction

Glasgow_Saint

You need to stop harping on about Sunderland's side being nearly all replacements, Giaccherini and Borini are both full Italian internationals, Larsson is an international, so is Craig Gardener isn't he ? They have a better squad than us and Poyet knows how to use it to their advantage. When Guly is a Brazilian international and JWP is captaining England then people can come back to me and moan about the players "should be winning it". We have 14 fit senior pros and 2 or 3 goods U21s. The reason for our loss today is there and nowhere else. We need more players that's all, the manager knows that and no doubt feels that the "board" let him down this January. One inOne out is what he said which turned into 2 out and none in. If we had gotten 2 replacements in today's result might have been different. Never mind parking is free for 15 extra minutes now.

Harping on? I made one statement and it is true the side we put out could and should have won! indeed even given the fact we played so poorly we still had the better chances or did you forget JWP's and Lamberts? The point I made is sunderlands team looked like they wanted it ours didn't

Tried to avoid this place for a while coz I didn't want to be too knee jerk.

Fact is I saw this coming. MP not doing interviews, team selections in the cup thus far... We weren't bothered. I just wish the club could have made that more obvious to the fans. I understand the desire to play youth but bringing on a 19 year old debutant for Lallana... I mean what the actual ****?

The full blame shouldn't be laid on MP though. Why is it that whenever we play teams who have made changes the fringe players act like they have a point to prove, whereas ours just seem to coast through the 90.

On the face of it, the team didn't appear to be overly weakened, but the way we play actually often means that Fonte, Schneiderlin, Cork and Rodriguez are are most creative players. Lallana is strong in the opponents half but we need to build attacks from the back. I rate Wanyama but he is predominantly a defender, and Hooiveld cannot deliver the desired range of passing we need from our CBs (not to mention being a **** defender).

Same with JWP and Davis - they are solid players but they aren't going to create too many goals.

I won't get too down because I don't think we've failed from the club's point of view. As fans we see this as a failure and a really poor result - but it was clearly never the team's aim to win this competition so nothing has really changed.

Will all be forgiven if we go on a run and finish 6th? Probably, but history still won't show us as winners.

At least we have a 7th, 8th or 9th place still to concentrate on - wahoo.

Should have rested some players midweek. Why don't our management just come out and admit that they don't give a toss about the cups, save all our fans the hassle of going to the games.

Lambert's pathetic performance showed why we should have replaced Osvaldo.

Our squad is just not good enough, Jos, Kelvin, Guly - doubt they will wear a Saints shirt again.

What a depressing way to go out he FA Cup, to Sunderland reserves.

No probs with having different views but come on ...... This loon would rather brag to his mates about finishing above Man U than have memories for life seeing Saints at Wembley :mcinnes:

Fair enough. I just don't feel the need to judge the validity of someone else's opinion (which is different to disagreeing with it)

Harping on? I made one statement and it is true the side we put out could and should have won! indeed even given the fact we played so poorly we still had the better chances or did you forget JWP's and Lamberts? The point I made is sunderlands team looked like they wanted it ours didn't

Their side was better than ours where it mattered, in front of goal.

I do not think that we can blame Jos for this one?

The goal was clearly down to Yoshida, yet some poster earlier tried to suggest that Yoshida only plays poorly because he has to play with Jos. Total garbage. Thought Jos had a solid game today by the way.

Having watched Saints play Burnley and Yeovil in the previous rounds I could always see this as being difficult. We didn't look up for it in these games either. Mo Po doesnt want us to be in the Europa League. He has done this by 1) allowing his assistant manager to "take charge" - which belittles the cup and probably confuses the team 2) he doesn't once get up off his seat (bar 5 mins towards the end) and neither does Jesus Perez - where's the leadership from the dugout?. He doesn't understand what the FA cup can mean to people, and he doesn't want us to be in the Europa League. I wouldn't be surprised if we qualified for it in the league and then withdrew entry for it.

Having watched Saints play Burnley and Yeovil in the previous rounds I could always see this as being difficult. We didn't look up for it in these games either. Mo Po doesnt want us to be in the Europa League. He has done this by 1) allowing his assistant manager to "take charge" - which belittles the cup and probably confuses the team 2) he doesn't once get up off his seat (bar 5 mins towards the end) and neither does Jesus Perez - where's the leadership from the dugout?. He doesn't understand what the FA cup can mean to people, and he doesn't want us to be in the Europa League. I wouldn't be surprised if we qualified for it in the league and then withdrew entry for it.

are you permitted to ?

I wonder if it's the smaller crowds and muted atmosphere that leads to substandard performances. The pace was slow from the off and the only time we looked sharp was when their crowd started roaring as they tried to press. We responded immediately with sharp passing that turned defence into attack. But then the atmosphere returned to norm and so did the sharpness of our play.

towards the end of the first half (I think..correct me if I'm wrong) they showed Mauricio talking to D'Agostinio,I think Victor had just cocked up perhaps, he (MD) just shook his head and sort of shrugged his shoulders, they could see it wasn't right but it would appear they knew they had no real solutions available.

At least we have a 7th, 8th or 9th place still to concentrate on - wahoo.

Should have rested some players midweek. Why don't our management just come out and admit that they don't give a toss about the cups, save all our fans the hassle of going to the games.

Lambert's pathetic performance showed why we should have replaced Osvaldo.

Our squad is just not good enough, Jos, Kelvin, Guly - doubt they will wear a Saints shirt again.

What a depressing way to go out he FA Cup, to Sunderland reserves.

Christ the bedwetters are out in force today. Get some perspective Ferchrissakes.

This is what I'm struggling to understand. What's the strategy. What's the objective? Beats me.

No probs with having different views but come on ...... This loon would rather brag to his mates about finishing above Man U than have memories for life seeing Saints at Wembley :mcinnes:

It's not about bragging it's about the overall success of a season. Your league standing shows consistency across the full ten months of the season against some of the best teams in Europe. Finishing above the most successful side in Premier league history across the course of a season would be a great measure of our success (considering our position a few years back) and a great indicator of the potential of the club to future signings.

Sure a day out at Wembley would be fun but a win today would have in no way guaranteed that. We've had lots of great days this season winning at Anfield, drawing at United and outplaying City and Arsenal at St Marys. Our season isn't a total write off, we still have the potential to get revenge for last season at City and results against Liverpool and United at home.

This could potentially be the most successful Premier League season in our history and I would happily take that as a successful end to the 13/14 season.

Over reaction central in here.

What's the point of getting promoted if, once in the top division, you don't use that financial advance to try and win the cup competitions? We might struggle next season in the league meaning the cups will HAVE to be sacrificed.

I wonder if it's the smaller crowds and muted atmosphere that leads to substandard performances. The pace was slow from the off and the only time we looked sharp was when their crowd started roaring as they tried to press. We responded immediately with sharp passing that turned defence into attack. But then the atmosphere returned to norm and so did the sharpness of our play.

no it would seem to be the changes in the team to me. In a normal game our CMs (or DMs) if you prefer touch the ball about 90 times each (176 touches between them on Tuesday). Today Victor played 63 balls and Steve Davis 60 so the count is way off,

Jos can't pass accurately neither does he have the composure to do so and we don't use the keeper in the same way when it's Davis and not Boruc. You just have to accept that playing these substandard players just throws everything out of sync. We found that out in December didn't we ?

Heard it all now. Teams don't want to win the fa cup because they might get into Europe. What a load of tosh. If teams are that bothered about the strain they will play their reserves out as spurs have done.

Do fans just want another 27 years of premiership nothingness? For all we know tHis might have been our best chance in the next 50 years to win the cup...win today worry about the consequences of winning...well never really.

'Do fans want another 27 years of premiership n othingness ?' You bet !!! I am not that bothered about the Cups these days. The win against Hull was worth sacrificing the Cup for and I reckon rested players will increase our chance of turning over Wham !

It's not about bragging it's about the overall success of a season. Your league standing shows consistency across the full ten months of the season against some of the best teams in Europe. Finishing above the most successful side in Premier league history across the course of a season would be a great measure of our success (considering our position a few years back) and a great indicator of the potential of the club to future signings.

Sure a day out at Wembley would be fun but a win today would have in no way guaranteed that. We've had lots of great days this season winning at Anfield, drawing at United and outplaying City and Arsenal at St Marys. Our season isn't a total write off, we still have the potential to get revenge for last season at City and results against Liverpool and United at home.

This could potentially be the most successful Premier League season in our history and I would happily take that as a successful end to the 13/14 season.

Have you even been to an FA Cup Final?

Because I think we have a better chance of finishing above United than winning the FA Cup. (Previous to the game)

So you'd rather finish above United than win the cup because you think there is more chance of doing it? You are allowed to dream of achieving things you don't expect to happen.

Those who are claiming people are over reacting are clearly crap fans themselves. One of the true advantages of being a decent Prem team rather than one always flirting with relegation is there is a genuine chance of cup glory. Days out at Wembley are what its all about. I really couldnt care if we finish 7th or 10th but being still in the cup keeps the season alive.

I was really looking forward to going to Wham next week but now have no motivation. In fact I dont think I can be arsed to go to SMS again this season.

F**king disgrace !!!

Saddened as you don't get too many opportunities like we have had this year in the cup

Feel sorry for the 850 fans travelling up there and what they have to do to get the cash to get to away games and in weather like that for a mid day KO.

We clearly have fringe players who do not have a future with us and so not sure why we would bother to give them a game like this one.

Unless it falls in our laps cannot see us winning anything agin with this attitude winning breeds winning. Never take your foot of the gas and when you have teams by the throat throttle all hope from them

Christ the bedwetters are out in force today. Get some perspective Ferchrissakes.

It appears some rather knowledgable neutrals are also bedwetters:

"Southampton out! No game midweek , great position in the league, why oh why would pochettino not play his strongest team .. Ridiculous! - Robbie Savage.

"Totally agree. Disrespectful of the competition, Saints supporters, especially those that travelled, and the game." - Gary Lineker

Yeah, but you're a lunatic for holding that opinion don't forget.... ;)

MOPO has got a lot right but today he screwed up big time (assuming he wanted to win the game.) He went about it completely arse about face. Firstly, I find it hard to believe that Cork, Schneiderlan and Rodrigues were not fit enough to start today - if Lambert was they certainly were. So, the sensible thing to do is to start the game with these three so that we have our engine room and playmakers in place. Had we done that I'm convinced the game today would have been over by half time and he could then have rested players in the second half. If you want to win a game you need to start with your strongest line up. Different for Sunderland - they are already in one Cup Final plus the small matter of a relegation dog fight. Their team selection was tantamount to handing this tie to us on a plate but MOPO somehow screwed up.

It appears some rather knowledgable neutrals are also bedwetters:

"Southampton out! No game midweek , great position in the league, why oh why would pochettino not play his strongest team .. Ridiculous! - Robbie Savage.

"Totally agree. Disrespectful of the competition, Saints supporters, especially those that travelled, and the game." - Gary Lineker

The clappers will never understand the game, they will never learn either, they have been informed, told and reasoned with, the realistic ones are yet again correct.

MOPO has got a lot right but today he screwed up big time (assuming he wanted to win the game.) He went about it completely arse about face. Firstly, I find it hard to believe that Cork, Schneiderlan and Rodrigues were not fit enough to start today - if Lambert was they certainly were. So, the sensible thing to do is to start the game with these three so that we have our engine room and playmakers in place. Had we done that I'm convinced the game today would have been over by half time and he could then have rested players in the second half. If you want to win a game you need to start with your strongest line up. Different for Sunderland - they are already in one Cup Final plus the small matter of a relegation dog fight. Their team selection was tantamount to handing this tie to us on a plate but MOPO somehow screwed up.

He screwed up in the League Cup as well, Sunderland are now at Wembley and in the 1/4 Final of the FA Cup, meanwhile our season is now as exciting as a night out in Southampton itself.

So angry about that today.

Great chance to get through to the quarters and we throw it away..... the blame is squarely with MP on this i'm afraid.

His whole attitude around cup competitions is abject, so it's no surprise the players then put in a lacklustre performance.

I don't think the fact his assistant deals with all the media for cup games helps either. Sends a message straight away that Southampton don't take cups seriously.

The position we're in in the league.... this game should have been number 1 priority.

Instead we get Kelvin booting it off for a throw in every time he gets the ball, and the rest forgetting how to pass from A to B.

Win today and we could still achieve what we want in the league. West ham is next Saturday not midweek isn't it?

What a blinking day, gutted again!

Accey today.

Brentford

Wolves

Rotherham

Chesterfield

Fleetwood

Oxford

Rochdale

Southend

Barnet

Luton

Nuneaton

Motherwell

11 won, 1 lost (the one that lost were 2-1 with 8 minutes left)

£3 would have been a return of £1,200!!!! balls!

Those who are claiming people are over reacting are clearly crap fans themselves. One of the true advantages of being a decent Prem team rather than one always flirting with relegation is there is a genuine chance of cup glory. Days out at Wembley are what its all about. I really couldnt care if we finish 7th or 10th but being still in the cup keeps the season alive.

I was really looking forward to going to Wham next week but now have no motivation. In fact I dont think I can be arsed to go to SMS again this season.

F**king disgrace !!!

the only disgrace is you.

What a 'small club' mentality. Or, you are trolling.

You seriously think that Dalek?

I thought your Hoddle fixation was crazy enough, but to say that finishing 7th in the premier league is more important to you than winning the FA cup sinks you to a whole new level of crazy!

Winning the FA cup is second only to winning the premier league to me! I couldn't give a damn about finishing 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 9th. Reasons for winning he FA Cup: We are unlikely ever to win the league, Pompey have been more successful than us in the last 10 years for winning the cup and that pains me to think let alone even say, I was there in 2003 and want that feeling reversed, I remember seeing how apathetic the Arsenal fans were to winning it that day and thinking no Saints fan would ever be like that, I wasn't old enough to know what was happening the last time we won it and have heard about how great it was and want to experience that feeling, as even though the JPT win was great, it just doesn't come close to the feeling that the FA Cup woud bring.