Sunderland 1 Saints 0 Match Reaction

Glasgow_Saint

It appears some rather knowledgable neutrals are also bedwetters:

"Southampton out! No game midweek , great position in the league, why oh why would pochettino not play his strongest team .. Ridiculous! - Robbie Savage.

"Totally agree. Disrespectful of the competition, Saints supporters, especially those that travelled, and the game." - Gary Lineker

Yes.. and they chose the cushy armchair pundit jobs.. not Manager jobs... what they think means not a lot to MP no doubt

My main concern going in to this match, knowing the way Sunderland play, was injuries to key players, so I was relieved to see Boruc being rested but a bit concerned that we were risking Lallana and Shaw. Still, we came through it unscathed so no harm done. Persnally, I completely agree with Poch that we really don't want to find ourselves in the Europa cup next season, so it's all about the league and finishing 7th-9th for me.

To be honest I was expecting us to lose this game. I was hoping we'd give it a real go - but suspected we wouldn't - and surprise surprise we didn't.

I was going to watch the game but when I saw the line up I thought I'm not gong to bother - the club's not going to so why should I - went shopping instead.

As for the result It simply told us what we already know - we have no strength in depth - outside of one or two positions - ok maybe 3 - we don't have any players we can bring in to the first 11 that will keep the standard high enough.

As it is we are missing a centre forward, a left back and a right winger from the first team. We just don't have any strength on the bench outside of right back.

The Sunderland starting 11 even with 9 changes was simply better than the second string team we can put out. We may just about have the better first 11 but they have a stronger squad. It's either our first 11 or nothing for us I'm afraid.

Instead of paying £15 million for a prima doña from Italy and £12 million for someone from the Scottish Premier League we need to be buying players fro between £6-8 million that will give us some strength in depth. Maybe we're happy to wait for the kids to develop but if so we are going to be treading water for a while - and still vulnerable to a minor injury crisis wrecking our season

It's not about bragging it's about the overall success of a season. Your league standing shows consistency across the full ten months of the season against some of the best teams in Europe. Finishing above the most successful side in Premier league history across the course of a season would be a great measure of our success (considering our position a few years back) and a great indicator of the potential of the club to future signings.

Sure a day out at Wembley would be fun but a win today would have in no way guaranteed that. We've had lots of great days this season winning at Anfield, drawing at United and outplaying City and Arsenal at St Marys. Our season isn't a total write off, we still have the potential to get revenge for last season at City and results against Liverpool and United at home.

This could potentially be the most successful Premier League season in our history and I would happily take that as a successful end to the 13/14 season.

I'm sorry, you are not allowed to put forth such a reasonable post..

My main concern going in to this match, knowing the way Sunderland play, was injuries to key players, so I was relieved to see Boruc being rested but a bit concerned that we were risking Lallana and Shaw. Still, we came through it unscathed so no harm done. Persnally, I completely agree with Poch that we really don't want to find ourselves in the Europa cup next season, so it's all about the league and finishing 7th-9th for me.

That sounds exciting.

mQt0g5oU_bigger.jpegAdam Blackmore@bigadamsport

Interview with @LukeShaw3 going up on twitter @solentsport now - it will re-assure some #saintsfc fans that players did care a lot about Cup

d2ceb16562ae0c783637d2bd8fdc9739_bigger.jpegBBC Solent Sport@solentsport

Luke Shaw talks to @bigadamsport after #saintsfc's 1-0 #FACup defeat at Sunderland https://audioboo.fm/boos/1925035-luke-shaw-talks-to-bigadamsport-after-saintsfc-s-1-0-facup-defeat-at-sunderland … via @audioboo

Interview with @LukeShaw3 going up on twitter @solentsport now - it will re-assure some #saintsfc fans that players did care a lot about Cup

Luke Shaw talks to @bigadamsport after #saintsfc's 1-0 #FACup defeat at Sunderland https://audioboo.fm/boos/1925035-luke-shaw-talks-to-bigadamsport-after-saintsfc-s-1-0-facup-defeat-at-sunderland … via @audioboo

I do not care how or which players try and gloss over it. Today was terrible and their heads were not right. Just look at the rest of the season, it just does not fit in!

Propaganda for the X factor generation, load of old tripe and horse ****, he will be saying he loves the club next and how hard they are trying and wont be going to Chelsea in the summer etc etc.

Shameful and Diabolical and not the Southampton way. :(

One person and one person only responsible for this shameful result..... Maurico POCHETTINO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Crystal clear he'll be off in May or he'd be ensuring we were up there for next season and chance in Europe. Bet he can't wait to be off for a break next round of the Cup.

You couldn't be more wrong.

The approach to the game today is a strong indication that he'll stay.

He hates the Europa league and winning the cup would have put us in it and he doesn't want that: he wants to qualify next season for the Champions League.

If he were leaving, he'd have gone for a bit if glory for himself in the cup and not cared about the consequences.

He hates the Europa league and winning the cup would have put us in it and he doesn't want that: he wants to qualify next season for the Champions League.

If he were leaving, he'd have gone for a bit if glory for himself in the cup and not cared about the consequences.

Do you honestly believe that? Do you honestly belive we are going to spend 100's of millions of pounds to overatake others and qualify for Europe? Do you believe we will retain players for this, do you think losing has improved our chances of keeping them?

I despair.

brilliant. I am assuming he has had assurances of huge money for the squad, as to do so, we will need a top CB another keeper, another LB another attacking midfielder and a top top striker

or, its all a pipe dream

Yes.. and they chose the cushy armchair pundit jobs.. not Manager jobs... what they think means not a lot to MP no doubt

Even the match commentators had the perspective to say that MP might have a lot of explaining to do.

But I get your point, so let's see what the "Just back from the game" folks think then - in about six hours.

I suspect that their views won't be much different .

I don't think there's much escaping the fact that MP blew it today, big time.

brilliant. I am assuming he has had assurances of huge money for the squad, as to do so, we will need a top CB another keeper, another LB another attacking midfielder and a top top striker

or, its all a pipe dream

There'll not be much money for the squad unless someone other than the current owner is providing it.

Unfortunately with the right set of results, 7th could see us getting a Europa cup place next season. So we will all have to hope we only finish 8th because we wouldn't want to get into a European competition would we.

Sorry I just don't get why people happy to finish we're we are now rather than actually try to win something?

I still can't believe some people are still buying that. Unless we get a takeover by an arab with millions and millions to burn, that will simply not happen, 100% fact.

Even the match commentators had the perspective to say that MP might have a lot of explaining to do.

But I get your point, so let's see what the "Just back from the game" folks think then - in about six hours.

I suspect that their views won't be much different .

I don't think there's much escaping the fact that MP blew it today, big time.

I'm not sure we will get any clarity as to why we lost the game.. I watched it and the 11 on the pitch appeared to just go through the motions.. is there an MP factor to the whole team playing poorly ?.. for sure, there was little pressure applied without the ball which is key to our possession football.

I don't agree that the team selection was the reason as we put out a decent enough side to beat Sunderland, but the performance was woeful.

I still can't believe some people are still buying that. Unless we get a takeover by an arab with millions and millions to burn, that will simply not happen, 100% fact.

Some of our fans are absolutely special, for deluded fans we rival Liverpool, its not a record we should be going for.

Edited by Barry Sanchez

Trying to think of something positive to say... Struggling to find anything. But here goes... Both our home and away kit suck and would not have looked right at Wembley anyway. Hopefully next year when we are back in stripes we will get there! ... That's all I've got... Fuming right now!

what is so annoying, this was almost a free hit.

their manager was not that bothered. he even said a draw was worse than a defeat.

9 changes from a team in the bottom 3.

and we played jos and guly. dear god

Far too little consideration for Sunderland actually, in fact their team today was probably far better than their normal XI.

Tack on Mannone and Johnston and it would do better than they usually do. they still had O'Shea in CD, 2 Italian internationals,Gardener, Larsson and a few decent subs. Sunderland's squad is in fact far better than their league position would suggest but then I guess they have DiCanio to thank for that. They've now won 7 out of their last 10,beaten Utd,Newcastle and crushed Fulham. They beat Chelsea in the C1C quarters, in fact they're probably not a bad side at all

Hull beat them because they were down to 10 men after 4 minutes, do you think we'd have beaten Hull on Tuesday if José or Maya had been sent off after only 4 minutes ?

Trying to think of something positive to say... Struggling to find anything. But here goes... Both our home and away kit suck and would not have looked right at Wembley anyway. Hopefully next year when we are back in stripes we will get there! ... That's all I've got... Fuming right now!

Ok, I'll try. It'll be an evening kickoff. What else is there?

If that does actually happen, do we know if Mopo plans to field a full-strength side for Champion’s League matches?

Clueless.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

These are the times that try men's souls. It's never pleasant to be caught in the machinery when a favourite comes unstitched, and in the case of this particular game, one had come to look on the playing of the match as a pure formality, a sort of quaint, old-world ceremony to be gone through before one sauntered up to Wembley to collect our trophy.

Unseen in the background, Fate was quietly slipping lead into the boxing-glove. Saints fans experienced the sort of abysmal soul-sadness which afflicts one of Tolstoy's Russian peasants when, after putting in a heavy day's work strangling his father, beating his wife, and dropping the baby into the city's reservoir, he turns to the cupboards, only to find the vodka bottle empty.

Not my words, that's good ole pg. But I think he sums things up nicely!

I am curiously unmoved by this tepid exit of the Cup.

I was enthralled and converted to football and Saints in 76, aged 9, but the Cup has died as a competition.

Which is why what ? 3 clubs out of the top 10 in the PL will be left in it come tomorrow afty.Might even be only 2 can't remember where Swansea are in the league. They need to put it into mid-week, then there will be no illusion who's going for it and who isn't.

I was there. It was awful. Thing is: when Poyet comes out and says he's not arsed, going to play weakened team and doesn't want a replay.

It then comes down to: Does MoPo think that his weakened team is better than Poyet's? In the LC it wasn't but this team was MUCH stronger (Shaw, Wanyama, Lambert, Lallana [starting]). Sunds team was MUCH weaker: (their version of Gazz in goal , no Alonso, no Bardsley, Brown suspended, no Ki , no Johnson, no Fletcher...)

I reckon what we sent out was good enough. The shame is a replay would have been OK.

I'm not sure we will get any clarity as to why we lost the game.. I watched it and the 11 on the pitch appeared to just go through the motions.. is there an MP factor to the whole team playing poorly ?.. for sure, there was little pressure applied without the ball which is key to our possession football.

I don't agree that the team selection was the reason as we put out a decent enough side to beat Sunderland, but the performance was woeful.

The performance was woeful because the team selection was woeful.

Our established pattern of playing out from the back went down the toilet with the selection of two central defenders who struggle with passing and a goalkeeper whose distribution is pitiful.

But we might have got away with that if we hadn't also replaced the shield in front of them - and the conduit for moving the ball forward - by leaving out both Schneiderlin and Cork (IMO our best pairing at the moment), and if we hadn't replaced the highly-mobile Rodrigues with the languid, lazy, low-intensity Guly (along with his needless offsides and failure to present moving pass opportunities).

And we might even have got away with that if MP had seen the writing on the wall and made the two changes at half time, when they could almost have started afresh, instead of at the 62 minute mark, when they were trying to jump onto a moving train.

As others have said, those changes destroyed an established pattern of play which should have been easily good enough to see off the side that Poyet fielded.

I was there. It was awful. Thing is: when Poyet comes out and says he's not arsed, going to play weakened team and doesn't want a replay.

It then comes down to: Does MoPo think that his weakened team is better than Poyet's? In the LC it wasn't but this team was MUCH stronger (Shaw, Wanyama, Lambert, Lallana [starting]). Sunds team was MUCH weaker: (their version of Gazz in goal , no Alonso, no Bardsley, Brown suspended, no Ki , no Johnson, no Fletcher...)

I reckon what we sent out was good enough. The shame is a replay would have been OK.

But that's just the point, it wasn't a weakened team, it was a different team, they have far more squad depth than we do, anyone who has full internationals for major nations on their bench has a better squad than we do. Who would you rather have in reserve Giaccherini or Guly, Larsson or JWP, it's a f*cking non-starter. We do not have enough squad depth and every time we need to replace players it's the same f*cking shambles.

I know Perez has done the press for all the cup games but maybe this time MP should have faced the media. I'm sure if we had gone in and reached the semi's or final Perez would not have been wheeled out then !

MP seriously mis-read this one for me. Very disappointed this evening and when I agree with Robbie Savage I know its bad !

These are the times that try men's souls. It's never pleasant to be caught in the machinery when a favourite comes unstitched, and in the case of this particular game, one had come to look on the playing of the match as a pure formality, a sort of quaint, old-world ceremony to be gone through before one sauntered up to Wembley to collect our trophy.

Unseen in the background, Fate was quietly slipping lead into the boxing-glove. Saints fans experienced the sort of abysmal soul-sadness which afflicts one of Tolstoy's Russian peasants when, after putting in a heavy day's work strangling his father, beating his wife, and dropping the baby into the city's reservoir, he turns to the cupboards, only to find the vodka bottle empty.

Not my words, that's good ole pg. But I think he sums things up nicely!

I think you've posted this using the wrong login details. Nice though.

I know Perez has done the press for all the cup games but maybe this time MP should have faced the media. I'm sure if we had gone in and reached the semi's or final Perez would not have been wheeled out then !

MP seriously mis-read this one for me. Very disappointed this evening and when I agree with Robbie Savage I know its bad !

Perez out! Only kidding like.

I think you've posted this using the wrong login details. Nice though.

Oh don't get fooled, Bearsy is a very erudite person, he just usually hides his light not under a bushel but under a ton of crap and tomfoolery, in fact he likes to play the King's fool. I would not be surprised if he's journalism graduate from somewhere or other, when he applies himself (not usually here it's true but elsewhere) it's as good as any Mirror or Sun hack that you care to name.

Anyone writing off JWP is a complete idiot and a fool. The guy is exhausted and suffering from brain fag. Has everyone forgotten he hasn't stopped since last season. playing for England Under 21's in June, then going on the pre-season by personal wish and playing a big part in our earlier games. He's trying too hard when he should be taking a break away from the game. Thought Pochettino would have seen this and taken action.

Why is Guly being included now when he's made it clear he's off in the summer. If he's so concerned for the World Cup why doesn't he get himself a loan to Canada like Julio Caesar

We'd have been better throwing Hooivelt up front, than playing Guly and moving Wanyama into central defense and having Cork playing.

Oh don't get fooled, Bearsy is a very erudite person, he just usually hides his light not under a bushel but under a ton of crap and tomfoolery, in fact he likes to play the King's fool. I would not be surprised if he's journalism graduate from somewhere or other, when he applies himself (not usually here it's true but elsewhere) it's as good as any Mirror or Sun hack that you care to name.

That's called being damned with faint praise. You might have said he wastes his intelligence on kn@b jokes.

What annoys me about our team selection is not only is it disrespectful to the fan-base, especially the travelling fans, but also the message it sends to our players – for me, it’s as good as telling them that whilst they remain Southampton players they have no chance of winning anything. Let’s face it, we’re never going to win the Premiership, and not selecting our strongest team means we’re never going to win a cup competition. I just cannot find any justification for that team selection; I’m upset and totally bewildered.

Totally agree with this why bother going to games if the club are not going to have a go in the competitions they actually have a chance of winning. A little bit more of football died for me today. One of the best Saints sides I've ever seen will be remembered for nothing in years to come. Thanks Poch

I suppose the clappies will label the BBC as wrist slitters and bed wetters.

They probably will, the only good out of this fiasco is the happier ones will be driven by pure force into the real World and the illusion they self created about our club is smashed. No ambition when this season was as good a chance as any season in recent memory to have some.

Just thought we looked tired and a lot of our key players did not perform.if Lambert had scored when he had a open goal I think we would have found the extra energy to win but it took a fantastic goal from Sunderland to win it and they have also been on a good run.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Totally agree with this why bother going to games if the club are not going to have a go in the competitions they actually have a chance of winning. A little bit more of football died for me today. One of the best Saints sides I've ever seen will be remembered for nothing in years to come. Thanks Poch

Well put.

Tiredness = professional athletes, training mornings, played for 270mins in the last 8 days.

Riiight..........

Over the last 3 weeks, me with my sedentrary lifestyle have frequently had to shovel tons of snow a day, I had to work 12 hours a day to prepare for a week-long meeting in the US, fly there, conduct/negotiate the meeting as the most senior person from my company whilst suffering from jet-lag and the after-effects of the strong sedative I had to take to deal with my Bergkamp-magnitude fear of flying, come back under the same chemcial influence, communicate results of meeting to my company whilst catching up on more jeg-lag plus a weeks work I hadnt supervised in others, AND deal with more f**king snow, 3 sick kids and a wife suffering from acute cabin-fever.

Our players are a bunch of poofy prima-donnas.

Today has unequivocally proven to me that we are the same little-league chicken-sh*t zero ambition outfit we've always been, only we've simply been through a few seasons of delusion, like a "virus going round" fever picked up from the other drooling toddlers at kindergarten.

You must be pleased with the large number of ****ed off fans on here suggesting that as a fan base we do have ambition?