Sunderland 1 Saints 0 Match Reaction

Glasgow_Saint

Personally not too bothered we lost, but all these people slagging off the club for 'disrespecting' the cups make me laugh. If everyone cares so much about the cups, where were they for the Burnley and Yeovil games where the ground was half empty?

I was there for those games and the ground was half closed.

Personally not too bothered we lost, but all these people slagging off the club for 'disrespecting' the cups make me laugh. If everyone cares so much about the cups, where were they for the Burnley and Yeovil games where the ground was half empty?

I was at both and think today was an fing disgrace.

Agree totally with this. Will today's wrist-slitters be happy if we end up towards the bottom of the league next season because our players (like Swansea and others) are too ****ed from playing meaningless games against tin pot teams in the far flung corners of Europe? Add to that the endless Thursday and Sunday games????....no thanks.

Sorry but that argument just doesn't stand up. The FA Cup is an end in itself which we the fans want to win. Play a weakened side in Europe if it bothers Pochettino so much.

Agree totally with this. Will today's wrist-slitters be happy if we end up towards the bottom of the league next season because our players (like Swansea and others) are too ****ed from playing meaningless games against tin pot teams in the far flung corners of Europe? Add to that the endless Thursday and Sunday games????....no thanks.

What, get into Europe following a Wembley semi and a Wembley final this season?

Then be in the Europa League and as a result finish something like 14th the following season?

Yes, I'd bite your hand off. I'd effing love that.

What's your oh-so-attractive alternative? Finish ninth every season and Kamakaze out of all trophy winning situations at the first opportunity?

And you're calling other people wrist slitters??

Unfortunately I was there. Absolutely disgusting from Poch. The general not giving a **** attitude about the cups is a disgrace. To change the core of the team and still expect to win is ridiculous. What makes it even worse is that Sunderland are AWFUL. I love the fa cup, was desperate for the excitement of Wembley. Sadly I expect Poch is quite happy we are out.

Fool me once shame on me, Fool me twice shame on you.

Pochettino is a good manager and he has brought a lot of personality into the team. However, I get the impression he is a bit full of himself and his constant depreciation of cups and Europa Leagues while being fairly open about his league,CL and other big time ambitions suggests to me that he is mainly driven by the number of news headlines he is part of.

While you get the likes of Mourinho that use their staff (i.e. his unique individual player-manager relations) and transform mentalities, I think Pochettino is just happy to keep his authority and therefore will only get involved as much as he believes he should. I'm not talking about his relationships with players, but more in terms of the message that he sends across.

The top managers absorb and transform everything that goes in and out of the main entrance. For instance, in his mind, it's like "Mourinho FC" are playing rather than Chelsea. Pochettino is more about "the manager of Southampton FC is Pochettino. This is what he does: (insert style of play, characteristics, overall good results etc.). His contacts are...".

His rationale is if Mauricio wants to be great, he needs to get Southampton FC to do this/that, just like a Norwich, Swansea or Sunderland would do if there were to employ him and he is to achieve his goals.

That's why I think he needs to review his approach a bit more. And Sunderland made as many changes as us to their side, but did that change their attitude? No. When clubs prioritize competitions so clearly, particularly in terms of attitude, it suggests someone wasn't up for it. Poyet, for all his rather arrogant and unpleasant character, seems to be more worried about having "Poyet AFC" out than MP did. That is difference. And that shows in the attitude of players. Their side was not better than ours.

Steven Davis MOM, without him I doubt we'd even have gone for it in the last few minutes.

The team MP picked was better than that performance. The team pick was disappointing but the result and performance were pathetic from almost everyone. Players looked they didn't care, it feels like the best team and management we've had and will have for years have tossed away the best chance to win something for years.

Shameful and Diabolical and not the Southampton way. :(

One person and one person only responsible for this shameful result..... Maurico POCHETTINO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Crystal clear he'll be off in May or he'd be ensuring we were up there for next season and chance in Europe. Bet he can't wait to be off for a break next round of the Cup.

There's no break for the next round of the FA Cup it would mean league games being put back into midweek again. It's bad enough already that there are internationals in mid-week soon and we'll no doubt have 6 or 7 lads on parade for those. You can only expect so much from your players, especially as a number of them will be hoping to go to Brazil in June as well. Jeez do you people not see the reason for the recent decline in Arsenal and even Citeh's performances, the WC is already influencing the comportment of some players. As we approach the end of the season you'll see more and more substandard games from players you'd expect better from. Only the other day Suarez was going on about how he's playing scared that he might pick up an injury that will stop him going to Brazil.

Shameful and Diabolical and not the Southampton way. :(

One person and one person only responsible for this shameful result..... Maurico POCHETTINO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Crystal clear he'll be off in May or he'd be ensuring we were up there for next season and chance in Europe. Bet he can't wait to be off for a break next round of the Cup.

Well actually he apparently said the other week Europa league would be a disaster for Saints next season. Why does he care if he's not going to be here?

Not really, Adam looked dead beat after 20' and didn't look himself at all, mind you with Lambert and Guly doing absolutely nothing he was ploughing a lone furrow. We had a toughy on Tuesday after a toughy last Saturday, we just don't have the players necessary to handle 3 toughies with long voyages between 2 of them, that's what I've been telling you all most of the week. the chairwoman needs to sort it out as Cortese would have done. It's no use having a bean counter and a rank amateur running a PL football club.

Lambert didn't do "absolutely nothing" - all his touches and layoffs were there but there was nobody to read and react to them. Granted, he missed a sitter but much of his normal game was there.

Lallana is a match winner - even when he's knackered.

The rest of it I don't disagree with.

It's seriously, seriously mental to think like that.

The chance was there to take the cup seriously and get maybe only our second serious piece of silverware. With the players and management going down in history.

But no, 8th in the fu.cking league is more of a priority. What a fu.cking shower of ****. Livid doesn't cover how i'm feeling right now.

Totally agree.

What has happened to James Ward-Prowse? Future England captain, transfer target and automatic first pick at season start to hesitant, ineffective and feeble mid-fielder in less than a quarter of a season. Something not right there at all. Is competition and national recognition of Shaw and Chambers phasing him and affecting his game? I hope the coaches cam sort him out as would hate to see him end up as an also-ran and being farmed out to Chesterfield on loan. Going the way of Simon Gilett?

I was at both.

F'king glad I saved the travel cost today.

Not sure my heart will take the excitement of whether we finish 7th,8th,or 9th, so might have to stay away from remaining fixtures. The glory of watching the season peter out is too much.

I was at both of those games I'm I allowed an opinion now?

The team MP picked was better than that performance. The team pick was disappointing but the result and performance were pathetic from almost everyone. Players looked they didn't care, it feels like the best team and management we've had and will have for years have tossed away the best chance to win something for years.

Sorry but a team with Guly,Jos and JWP can never be expected to be particularly performant. They are not of the required standard, Lambert was awful and for my opinion he is finished, he's just hoping to cruise his way to Brazil but unless he bucks up a bit he'll be out of the England side.

Thinking things through, if we're going to get that in the FA Cup under MP every year he can **** off now as far as I am concerned.

I'll agree with that while I'm still angry. I might still agree with it later too. I seriously need to time to adjust my mentality after this carp!!

What the hell is the point of being a professional football club if you're not interested in entering competitions and winning matches? You might as well be playing in the Conference.

I am sure he thought the team would win esp given that Poyet made it quite clear he would be resting players. The team played crap. End of. I wish we had won but IMHO being in the Europa cup next year would have caused us massive problems. The reaction of some on here is almost that we were guaranteed to win the cup if we beat Sunderland! Some very strange OTT reactions.

The team MP picked was better than that performance. The team pick was disappointing but the result and performance were pathetic from almost everyone. Players looked they didn't care, it feels like the ownbest team and management we've had and will have for years have tossed away the best chance to win something for years.

Please. It's because the Manager doesn't give the cup the same importance as the league. He sets the tone and it was the to see what that was. Take another example. He doesn't do the media for cup matches. That sends a powerful signal to everyone from the players down.

I heard that Poch has declined an after match interview any truth in that?

No, he didn't decline. It's just par the course - Jesus does all press for cup games, all set in stone already. So he didn't 'refuse', the arrangement was already set. Which kind of shows the importance the club puts on it.

Personally couldn't give a **** about finishing above a poor man utd.

Having followed saints since 1974 at 7 years old I always wanted and looked forward to fa cup runs. That was awful.

Clubs like ours should not take this competition lightly end of.

It always has been and always will be our best chance of success, I can understand a change at centre back with fonte leg but the whole performance lacked effort and intensity which we normally are good at.

Disappointing result. Yoshida dwelled on the ball then made a stupid pass forward which lost us the ball and led to the goal. K Davis was poor no chance with the goal. If anybody wants to know what Pochettino thinks of the cup. Two home games low prices poor crowds, today just over 16k in a 40k stadium, nobody is really interested any more.

Things have changed. when we start filling the ground and selecting our best team I'll get interested. I went to the previous rounds which were like practice matches. And no I don't want to be in the Europa cup because it will be the reserves.

Disappointing result and we were clearly not at our best. Aside from Hooiveld (Fonte's shin being rested, presumably) and Guly, though, the team selection was okay, I thought. There weren't many people moaning when Kelvin played in cup games that we won, and I'm not sure that Boruc would have saved the goal. We had 8 or 9 out of 11 who are perfectly decent choices otherwise. Player fatigue after a game in midweek was a factor, especially if you consider Sunderland had theirs called off and then picked a totally fresh team. We don't know who was and wasn't judged ready for 90 minutes by Pochettino, who knows the players a lot better than we do. Lallana looked exhausted and Rickie was off his game. Shaw was our best player. Most of all, it shows that we need to strengthen the squad, so that we are able to pick stronger sides in the cup. Concentrate on the league it is, then.

Never mind the selections, the players on the pitch should and could have done the business, as did Sunderland's 9 replacements. My concern is our fringe players show no desire to improve and push for a team place and even the established players appeared strangely not that concerned. Lambert was going on about this being his last chance but he didn't play like it was did he?

We were poor in getting and keeping possession in defending and in attack.

Sunderland's replacements, on the other hand, whilst being far poorer on paper ran their hearts out!

The lack of commitment from the players on the field is what annoys me!

Mongs in overreaction shocker.

We played a pretty strong side - apart from Jrod and Morgan, that was basically the first XI after injuries are taken into account.

Is it really a surprise we freshened things in midfield given the toils of the past week and the work it is expected to do in our system? And it's not as if the players who came in are somehow vastly inferior -or at least according to self-righteous bedwetters on here. Some have been even claiming JWP, the next big thing, should be off to Brazil :lol:

Guly was the one surprise; but that's vastly different from stating we put out a disgusting, disgraceful, disrespectful team or whatever is mongboard mot du jour.

The best management try and win trophies.

I think I'll sleep on it before making any judgement over this:

Thinking things through, if we're going to get that in the FA Cup under MP every year he can **** off now as far as I am concerned.

...but I know how you're feeling.

We were totally sh*t. Why couldn't we field a stronger team that would stand a chance of getting us into the last eight of the FA Cup? It appeared as if we weren't that interested in winning the match, second to most of the 50/50 balls, lacking intent in most areas. Cork instead of Wanyama would have been good for a start and probably Chambers for Clyne, Rodriguez for Guly, Boruc for Davis, Fonte for Hooiveld, unless Fonte is injured. Clyne's cutting in instead of going for the line is becoming an annoyance. This second string we fielded don't appear to know how to play the high pressing game, or to close down the space as effectively as the first choice players.

All in all it was a limp-wristed, half-hearted effort and we got everything we deserved from the game, which was nothing. We had two really clear chances to have scored and fluffed both. We on the other hand we lucky that apart from their goal, they failed to punish us with two or three clear cut chances they had to put the match beyond us.

Pochettino got this one completely wrong and must take the blame for his tactics and team selection. Perhaps the commentators were right in their assumption that the FA Cup doesn't mean the same to the foreign managers.

I can't help but wonder whether the demise of the FA Cup resulted from the widespread tendency to hire non-British managers.

They don't have the emotional/historical respect for it that we have, after growing up with it since we were kids.

Pochettino may have underestimated how important a win today was to the fans.

We played a pretty strong side - apart from Jrod and Morgan, that was basically the first XI after injuries are taken into account.

KD, Hoiveld, (with Yoshida alongside him) , No JC/Morgan, & Guly starting suggests otherwise.

Is it really a surprise we freshened things in midfield given the toils of the past week and the work it is expected to do in our system? And it's not as if the players who came in are somehow vastly inferior -or at least according to self-righteous bedwetters on here. Some have been even claiming JWP, the next big thing, should be off to Brazil :lol:

Guly was the one surprise; but that's vastly different from stating we put out a disgusting, disgraceful, disrespectful team or whatever is mongboard mot du jour.

You are missing the point.

We were totally sh*t. Why couldn't we field a stronger team that would stand a chance of getting us into the last eight of the FA Cup? It appeared as if we weren't that interested in winning the match, second to most of the 50/50 balls, lacking intent in most areas. Cork instead of Wanyama would have been good for a start and probably Chambers for Clyne, Rodriguez for Guly, Boruc for Davis, Fonte for Hooiveld, unless Fonte is injured. Clyne's cutting in instead of going for the line is becoming an annoyance. This second string we fielded don't appear to know how to play the high pressing game, or to close down the space as effectively as the first choice players.

All in all it was a limp-wristed, half-hearted effort and we got everything we deserved from the game, which was nothing. We had two really clear chances to have scored and fluffed both. We on the other hand we lucky that apart from their goal, they failed to punish us with two or three clear cut chances they had to put the match beyond us.

Pochettino got this one completely wrong and must take the blame for his tactics and team selection. Perhaps the commentators were right in their assumption that the FA Cup doesn't mean the same to the foreign managers.

Clyne was one of our best players - most, if not all our opportunities came from him :mcinnes:

Not really, Adam looked dead beat after 20' and didn't look himself at all, mind you with Lambert and Guly doing absolutely nothing he was ploughing a lone furrow. We had a toughy on Tuesday after a toughy last Saturday, we just don't have the players necessary to handle 3 toughies with long voyages between 2 of them, that's what I've been telling you all most of the week. the chairwoman needs to sort it out as Cortese would have done. It's no use having a bean counter and a rank amateur running a PL football club.

I think the bean counter is cutting, Physiotherapy budget cut I hear.

I can't help but wonder whether the demise of the FA Cup resulted from the widespread tendency to hire non-British managers.

They don't have the emotional/historical respect for it that we have, after growing up with it since we were kids.

Pochettino may have underestimated how important a win today was to the fans.

Perhaps some bastard should have told him.

KD, Hoiveld, (with Yoshida alongside him) , No JC/Morgan, & Guly starting suggests otherwise.

Fonte was injured - our midfield has played 3 times in a week. Wanyama was starting every game over Cork before he got injured and JWP is a mongboard golden boy. Only Guly and Davis are genuine downgrades at least from the perspective of the armchair managers on here.

I'm one of the few who really doesn't give a toss about this. Don't know why, think things have moved on a bit since 1976 and all that. Yes I was there, and it was the greatest footballing day of my life. Time has moved on. The FA Cup just doesn't do it for me anymore. That said I do feel for the hardy souls who went today, but it could have been predicted so it wouldn't have had me gunning up the A1M to watch it. Am I alone in finding some the vitriol, particularly the anti-Pochettino vitriol somewhat distasteful, or is that just a symptom of a mongboard?