Fantastic Piece in the Echo

Lallana's Left Peg

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/saints/news/11239113.Daily_Echo_comment__Poch_s_exit_a_wake_up_call_to_Saints_board/?ref=rss&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

I feel this is pretty bang on. Managers and players come and go but the Board are not coming off particularly well here and that is my biggest concern (as I have said for several weeks).

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/saints/news/11239113.Daily_Echo_comment__Poch_s_exit_a_wake_up_call_to_Saints_board/?ref=rss&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

I feel this is pretty bang on. Managers and players come and go but the Board are not coming off particularly well here and that is my biggest concern (as I have said for several weeks).

Fantastic? Its horse pony if you ask me.

What were the board expected to do? They offered him a contract and he refused to sign it. He wanted to leave, end of. There wasn't all this sheite when hoddle did one, yet Lowe was ssupposedly an able operator. FFS , we're not talking about venkys here, or Mike Ashley or even Vincent Tam. Apart from a few rich billionaires like bill gates, who on earth do people want running our club, Daniel Levy?

You can only pressure someone to a certain point,if the contract was on the table and he said he wants to wait what can you do ?

If he is making noises behind the scenes that he will sign,you have to trust the manager that he will sign,he obviously had no intention of signing but yet the board look bad because they trusted the manager?

I feel the board would always come off worse on this,what where they supposed to do in the meantime start interviewing managers whilst MP was still here and tell him that just in case you decide to feck off we will have a replacement?

If he did want to stay what message does that send out to him.

What were the board expected to do? They offered him a contract and he refused to sign it. He wanted to leave, end of. There wasn't all this sheite when hoddle did one, yet Lowe was ssupposedly an able operator. FFS , we're not talking about venkys here, or Mike Ashley or even Vincent Tam. Apart from a few rich billionaires like bill gates, who on earth do people want running our club, Daniel Levy?

Spot on. Levy? The current Man Utd CEO? Delia Smith? Gold and Sullivan? The Fulham owner whoever he is? The list goes on, careful what you wish for

The Board aren't bothered....MP was Cortese's choice and this now removes the last little piece of his era. There are some amazing candidates available and none of them would have been that interested when Cortese removed Adkins. Onwards and upwards!!!

The key is whether board have been idly lounging around whilst Mauricio acted like a Groom with jitters about his commitment to us. If they have spent those weeks nailing down a short list of replacements they need to talk to(if he left) then we can all happily accept that while like a duck on the surface they appeared to be doing nothing their legs were frantically kicking under the surface. I do worry they are only now starting that work rather arranging interviews and making an appointments but that's because this board seem so new and naive.

The one phrase that sums it up for me 'It is a harsh reality that Saints were victims of their own success'. Completely agree, being the best of the rest of the teams outside of the top 6/7 teams has done nothing for us, and all the consequences have and will continue to be negative for the club. Successful season? Not really, the tv payments don't differ much from place to place,we haven't won anything, merely put our manager and a large amount of players in the shop window for the clubs above us. It's a sad reflection on the modern game, and could be about to look even worse on the part of the board. The next few weeks are critical

Surprisingly good piece by the Echo boys, and I'm pleased there is a public vent for the frustrations of many Southampton fans besides those flying around social media. Will be a sobering read for Ralph (if it finds him in Canada) who is probably still convinced he is worshiped for his success at Sochi and the 51 stitches he has had in his face.

Time for them to accept they have failed and convince us that they have the nous and originality of vision to take us forward. Comparing how Swansea chairman, Huw Jenkins, responded to the uncertainty surrounding Laudrup's future is notable. I'm not suggesting for one moment that the board should have sacked Poch once he started dithering over his future, but as the article suggests, a public declaration that we had offered him the contract would have put a lot more pressure on him to make up his mind. More importantly, it would have set out the boards intentions clearly and not made them look so bloody weak.

At Swansea, despite the initial brouhaha over Laudrup's sacking, it is clear that the board are responsible for driving the vision of the club and will not accept that being compromised by a manager touting himself around for other jobs. With this new board I just feel that they have been riding the coat-tails of Cortese's plans without actually having an idea or original vision in place that they will carry out regardless of who occupies the manager's position. Cortese could afford to call Poch a 'department head' as he was so secure with the fundamental direction of the club. I'm not convinced that this new board - who are yet to articulate anything resembling a coherent vision to players or fans - would be as confident to say as such.

Edited by Toon Saint

MP woke up this morning a multi-millionaire. You can't blame him for falling for that - it is the way of the world and it is just a career for him not a life long love of Saints like the fans have.

We need a really good new manager pronto.

Surprisingly good piece by the Echo boys, and I'm pleased there is a public vent for the frustrations of many Southampton fans besides those flying around social media. Will be a sobering read for Ralph (if it finds him in Canada) who is probably still convinced he is worshiped for his success at Sochi and the 51 stitches he has had in his face.

Time for them to accept they have failed and convince us that they have the nous and originality of vision to take us forward. Comparing how Swansea chairman, Huw Jenkins, responded to the uncertainty surrounding Laudrup's future is notable. I'm not suggesting for one moment that the board should have sacked Poch once he started dithering over his future, but as the article suggests, a public declaration that we had offered him the contract would have put a lot more pressure on him to make up his mind. More importantly, it would have set out the boards intentions clearly and not made them look so bloody weak.

At Swansea, despite the initial brouhaha over Laudrup's sacking, it is clear that the board are responsible for driving the vision of the club and will not accept that being compromised by a manager touting himself around for other jobs. With this new board I just feel that they have been riding the coat-tails of Cortese's plans without actually having an idea or original vision in place that they will carry out regardless of who occupies the manager's position. Cortese could afford to call Poch a 'department head' as he was so secure with the fundamental direction of the club. I'm not convinced that this new board - who are yet to articulate anything resembling a coherent vision to players or fans - would be as confident to say as such.

Bang on.

Whether you are pleased MP has gone or not, and personally I'm pleased, The Echo is quite right in saying that the Board has made itself look weak. It is still doing that over a far more important issue, which is the retention of our best players. A public statement of intent would send a message to the predator clubs, and to the squad, that the team will not be torn apart. Such a statement would not be for the benefit of the fans, but would a step towards creating stability while the new manager is appointed.

Typical Echo stirring

They have never liked the board (which ever one) apart from crouch and co. They just spout rubbish with out concrete evidence from the club

as they say it is all about perceptions their perceptions

Shared by a lot of fans and neutral observers, whereas some of you have an anti-Cortese agenda.

Scant thanks for the man who returned us to the big time from -10 points in L1, and without whom we are probably destined to return to L1 eventually.

Yep, I agree with the article too.

Oh, and MoPo hasnt woken up a millionaire. There will certainly be a break cause in his contract - this is Levy we are talking about.

Yea I think I already read somewhere that there are breaks through out the contract, hopefully every week hahaha

Top post my thoughts exactly, I think too many are overlooking the poch saga (soon to be the lallana and shaw saga) as money orientated as opposed to ineptitude from the board so far

The Board aren't bothered....MP was Cortese's choice and this now removes the last little piece of his era. There are some amazing candidates available and none of them would have been that interested when Cortese removed Adkins. Onwards and upwards!!!

What is your criteria for "amazing" ??

I don't think the "Bored" will be looking for a Big name. Big names want to progress upwards

The owner of SFC has made it quite clear that we have passed our Zenith, and she has succeeded in getting rid of Cortese and Pochettino, two people with AMBITION

Good luck to Pochettino, he will turn Spurs into what we were this season, and then improve them into the Top Four

We will now begin our slide IMHO, starting with a completely underwhelming appointment of a "manager"

The echo has just gone to tacky tabloid rather than a supportive local paper. It's a dire publication and wouldn't take much notice of it anymore. Shame really but their decision.

The Echo labelled it as an opinion piece to be fair to them.

I don't have much confidence that the right decisions will be made at the club at the moment.

The echo has just gone to tacky tabloid rather than a supportive local paper. It's a dire publication and wouldn't take much notice of it anymore. Shame really but their decision.

Its a shame they've moved to tacky tabloid, they were the poor banned realtalk piece under Cortese's days........

Shared by a lot of fans and neutral observers, whereas some of you have an anti-Cortese agenda.

Scant thanks for the man who returned us to the big time from -10 points in L1, and without whom we are probably destined to return to L1 eventually.

But Cortese ran SFC like a small B&B...?

He is quoting me from last summer. Its Ok, I am man enough to take the criticism.

I was frustrated by time taken to do things, unlike spurs who approached their man in good time and closed the deal almost as quickly as was possible.

Nevetheless, Cortese was a classic "better the devil you know". I do believe he worked tirelessly for the club, had ambition, gave short shrift to vultures, and we will miss him; dont care who he p*ssed off over his time at the club.

Not often I agree with LD but this sums it up for me.

He is quoting me from last summer. Its Ok, I am man enough to take the criticism.

I was frustrated by time taken to do things, unlike spurs who approached their man in good time and closed the deal almost as quickly as was possible.

Nevetheless, Cortese was a classic "better the devil you know". I do believe he worked tirelessly for the club, had ambition, gave short shrift to vultures, and we will miss him; dont care who he p*ssed off over his time at the club.

Spurs were first reported as wanting MP in early March. Would be surprised if we take 2 ½ months to appoint our manager (unless its Roy H ).

A manager, who most of us wanted to stay, resigned to go to a better paid job at a more famous, bigger , higher ranked club.

I would have liked the board to have been able to convince him to stay but I can't see what they could have done if this is his chosen career path.

Despite reports that best players were sold weeks ago, not one has left.

People are criticising KL, seemingly ignorant that she has been in charge for all of our promotions.

I will judge board after manager is appointed and we see how transfer window goes - we were told to be excited not fearful!? Let's see.

I know this rationale view won't sit well with the witch burning hysterical bedwetters, who will always moan & panic but its not necessarily a big backward step

Why sack a man you are about to get paid £2m to let leave.

Maybe they were expecting this and have already put feelers out. We can attract managers who are of a better ilk and record than MoPo, amazes me the amount of people who think him leaving is a disaster....

It has the potential to be bad, it also has the potential to be great.

Lots of people who have opinions bashing the board, bashing KL who have no clue what actually went on, we've even had people accusing her or wrecking her fathers dream which is utterly distasteful.

As I have said many times, I don't think MoPo was quite all that, we didn't win a single game coming from behind, had a horrendous conversion rate, and finished an awfully long way off of the top 4 considering our entire squad bar boruc is wanted by champions league teams.

He has and almost identical record for 2012/13 as Adkins had once the team had adjusted.

Any why are people so upset about MoPo? Did we have a bunch of delusional fans who thought he was staying here forever, we were only ever going to be stepping stone, as tottenham will be (if he does well there).

The board offered him a good deal, and tried to keep him, you can't fault them for that. And likewise, MoPo WAS ALWAYS GOING TO GO and stringed us along.

Its what the board do now that they should be judged on, so can we stop the hysterical bed wetting that is going on at the moment.

All these fans bemoaning lack of ambition and funding, and the dream is over.

If all you want is to be a bunch of plastics chasing success built on money, then please leave our club alone, there are plenty of other teams in the premier league that tick those boxes.

I think we have an excellent board and will stick with them in the interests of supporting the club through the difficult negotiations ahead this summer.

We've got value in the club even if some of the players leave - and no-one has, yet.

Not sure why it's a criticism of the board that people want to take people from us because we've done well. Or that some people want them to make a statement on every single piece of speculation. They issued a very positive statement when Pochettino left, I think they've got the balance in communications spot on. What they're doing behind the scenes no-one knows, but equally no club is able to stop people moving for monetary reasons if they've set their mind on it. Chelsea just sold a first choice centre back and the previous season's player of the season, and they don't need the money. Man U lost Ronaldo, Arsenal Fabregas, etc.

Spurs were first reported as wanting MP in early March. Would be surprised if we take 2 ½ months to appoint our manager (unless its Roy H ). [/Quote]

Given how long it took us to sort out a new Chairman (about 2 1/2 months) I wouldn't be so sure. Spurs were never going to poach Pochettino mid-season when they still had Sherwood in charge. I'd say they have acted pretty decisively, especially given the repsonsiveness of our board to the situation.

A manager, who most of us wanted to stay, resigned to go to a better paid job at a more famous, bigger , higher ranked club. [/Quote]

Yes, Spurs are historically a bigger team with clear aspirations to break into the top 4, a new stadium on the way, a great training ground, and more money to spend in the transfer window. But we as a club also offer the best academy in the country, a brand new state-of-the-art training ground, a core of exciting home-grown talent, and perhaps most significantly, a stable environment in which Poch would have been given time to build his reputation. I really don't think it was inevitable that he would have left. That sort of fatalistic attitude also aggravates as it only serves to entrench a view of us as mid-table also-rans. At least Cortese would have done his damndest to challenge that.

I would have liked the board to have been able to convince him to stay but I can't see what they could have done if this is his chosen career path.[/Quote]

A line that keeps getting trotted out by defenders of the board and one that has also been answered numerous times. It's not just the fact that the board failed to properly demonstrate ambition and a new 'project' to Poch, but their whole handling of the situation which has left us looking so weak. When Krueger first arrived he talked about understanding 'what drives' Poch and sharing similar core values, but its become clear that he didn't have a clue what motivated him. A strange misplaced confidence and naivety has informed a lot of the statements made by Ralph and even Les Reed has been made to look a bit of a fool with all the talk of being relaxed about the situation and resuming contract talks at end of season. They have been absolutely played by Poch and Levy and they've not had the guts or conviction in their own 'vision' to stand up to him and dictate the terms of contract negotiations. Lots of empty rhetoric spouted by the board and commitments to being nicey nice with the fans but they aren't even achieving the early promises of openness and communication.

Despite reports that best players were sold weeks ago, not one has left. [/Quote]

People were saying similar things about Poch only hours before he was unveiled as Spurs manager. His departure only makes the loss of key players more likely, and the board are going to have to fight their arses off to keep the squad together.

People are criticising KL, seemingly ignorant that she has been in charge for all of our promotions.[/Quote]

Of course I am grateful for the investment she has made, but it is wrong to say that she has been in charge for all of our promotions. She has been in charge from January this year.

I will judge board after manager is appointed and we see how transfer window goes - we were told to be excited not fearful!? Let's see.[/Quote]

We were also told that the club were 'confident' and 'relaxed' about Poch staying. Yes it is only fair to give the board some time to appoint a new manager and we will all judge at end of transfer window based on who has left and who has arrived, but they have gotten off to a rather pathetic start.

I know this rationale view won't sit well with the witch burning hysterical bedwetters, who will always moan & panic but its not necessarily a big backward step

Whoever we appoint as manager is unlikely to be as good as, or an improvement on Poch. It is not hysteria being expressed but an incredible amount of frustration about not being able to realise an ambition of breaking the top 6 that I felt was almost in our grasp. Whether they meant to or not, the new board have managed to burst a lot of the optimism that has been building around the club over the past few years. There is absolutely no evidence to go upon to suggest that they have any experience of dealing with this sort of situation so I'm not sure why so many persist with blind faith. It is in their hands to reverse that concern and I sincerely hope that they do.

Edited by Toon Saint

People are criticising KL, seemingly ignorant that she has been in charge for all of our promotions.

No she hasn't, stop peddling this myth. She has only been in charge since last summer. From the time ML died the club was owned and run by the Trustees and Executors of the Markus Liebherr Estate. She may or may not have been a trustee or an executor, but she was certainly not the only person to make up that Group. She may have had some say before last summer but she certainly did not have complete control of the Club, and it seems pretty clear that in fact she had no control at all. This only came to a head when the probate process concluded and she inherited the club which appears to have been at some point in mid 2013. Only then did the issues with NC start, when it became clear that she did not wish to continue with the level of investment that her lamented late father had agreed with Cortese.

In a way I think the board have been quite strong. They clearly made him resign and as widely reported cough up £2m for said privilege to do so. That will go a long way to securing a decent manager and support staff.

The harsh reality is that Spurs are a better payday and a better short/ medium tem prospect for MoPo - the board couldn't off changed that. We could well be a more interesting and stable long-term bet, but clearly he didn't want to take that risk.

MoPo was a good manager for us but not without imperfections and frustrations. The new board have a chance to run a clean broom through the management structure and I will reserve judgement until September on how they have performed in the post-Cortese era.

The article is full of conjecture and rumour. Hence it's a **** article.

In a way I think the board have been quite strong. They clearly made him resign and as widely reported cough up £2m for said privilege to do so. That will go a long way to securing a decent manager and support staff.

The harsh reality is that Spurs are a better payday and a better short/ medium tem prospect for MoPo - the board couldn't off changed that. We could well be a more interesting and stable long-term bet, but clearly he didn't want to take that risk.

MoPo was a good manager for us but not without imperfections and frustrations. The new board have a chance to run a clean broom through the management structure and I will reserve judgement until September on how they have performed in the post-Cortese era.

Bingo!

Spot on

Yep, they offered him a deal, he didn't want to sign it so they made him resign. What else could they do? I know that wont fit in with the demands for pressure and statements from some on here but if someone doesn't want to be here, afterall he did threaten to quit twice before, then they dont want to be here.

Ambiton and vision are words that are banned about here a lot. Yet the ambtions that have changed are that of the players. This time last year Adam Lallana had his wedding booked for this summer, he was that certain he wouldn't be in the England world cup squad. A year on he's in it, linked with champions league clubs and contracts worth double what he;s on here. That would have happened if Cortese was here or not, it would be financial suicide to offer him the same deal as they can and if you cant offer them what they want and thye can get it elsewhere what choice do you have? No vague promises of champions league football one day is going to counteract an offer of it tomorrow, with one of the biggest clubs in Europe for twice the money you're on. It's no wonder his head has been turned, yet some are blaming the board for lacking ambition.

Cortese can spout of all he wants and fans can believe what he says about everyone being here if he was still here, how ambitous he was, but the fact of the matter is he was never tested and quit before he was able to be.

Yep, they offered him a deal, he didn't want to sign it so they made him resign. What else could they do? I know that wont fit in with the demands for pressure and statements from some on here but if someone doesn't want to be here, afterall he did threaten to quit twice before, then they dont want to be here.

Ambiton and vision are words that are banned about here a lot. Yet the ambtions that have changed are that of the players. This time last year Adam Lallana had his wedding booked for this summer, he was that certain he wouldn't be in the England world cup squad. A year on he's in it, linked with champions league clubs and contracts worth double what he;s on here. That would have happened if Cortese was here or not, it would be financial suicide to offer him the same deal as they can and if you cant offer them what they want and thye can get it elsewhere what choice do you have? No vague promises of champions league football one day is going to counteract an offer of it tomorrow, with one of the biggest clubs in Europe for twice the money you're on. It's no wonder his head has been turned, yet some are blaming the board for lacking ambition.

Cortese can spout of all he wants and fans can believe what he says about everyone being here if he was still here, how ambitous he was, but the fact of the matter is he was never tested and quit before he was able to be.

Good post

Not even that, its just reporting peoples reaction to conjecture and rumour - totally pointless piece by Phil Space. .

It's a comment piece guys, usually what happens in these type of features. He is offering an opinion on the situation as he perceives it and I tend to agree with him.

If you wanted it grounded it in 'fact' then maybe the board should have given a bit more information about how the situation unfolded and what terms were offered to Poch. Given that they didn't, the journalist just has to rely on sources at the club, which of course, he has used in this article.

Spurs were first reported as wanting MP in early March. Would be surprised if we take 2 ½ months to appoint our manager (unless its Roy H ).

A manager, who most of us wanted to stay, resigned to go to a better paid job at a more famous, bigger , higher ranked club.

I would have liked the board to have been able to convince him to stay but I can't see what they could have done if this is his chosen career path.

Despite reports that best players were sold weeks ago, not one has left.

I will judge board after manager is appointed and we see how transfer window goes - we were told to be excited not fearful!? Let's see.

Jesus christ never thought I'd see the day but I'm actually agreeing with Nicky boy here............ this all day long

It's a comment piece guys, usually what happens in these type of features.

Two mistakes in one sentence.

1. Its in the news section ie not a comment piece.

2. A comment piece is not the same as a feature.

Apart from that, bang on.