Appalling show of grace from the Club and some fans

jasonb

The Club Statement  

315 members have voted

1. 1. The Club Statement

• Lacked Grace
    • Perfectly Pitched
    • Should have called him a Judas scumbag

Firstly, I am as bitterly disappointed as the next supporter regarding the recent transfers of arguably our best players, including today's transfer of our captain.

However, I am stunned by the vitriol and lack of grace shown by some contributors on this forum and the club also.

With regard to the derisory statement by the club on the official site: I have to say its totally disrespectful and shows a total lack of class. Regardless of the fact that Lallana may of been badly advised or acted like a spoilt kid. The club should be able to rise above such matters. Two wrongs don't make a right and the club should still try and retain its traditions even if on the face of it the player has badly let the club down.

Errm - perhaps its me. Just for clarification did Lallanus not say this below?

April 2013, having been made captain the previous season, signs a five year deal, and to quote; "If someone was to say that I'd end my career playing for Southampton in the Premier League then I'd snap your hand off for it."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22112980

Later that same season, regarding Liverpool; "Deep down, I was thinking to myself: hopefully one day I'll be able to play in that team."

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/late...-lfc-interview

If he was to pull a stunt like this at Liverpool, I'm sure his family would receive a visit from some chaps with shot guns wearing shell suits and balaclavas.

I think we've all been rather civilised about the whole sorry episode.

F*** him.

Right, firstly I've obviously had a 'mare here.. I'm big enough and ugly enough to accept that. Only noticed the thread title when it was pointed out.. I knew what I meant :)

Obviously I have flown in the face of popular opinion but I thought the club were better than this. That's all I am getting at.

Right, firstly I've obviously had a 'mare here.. I'm big enough and ugly enough to accept that. Only noticed the thread title when it was pointed out.. I knew what I meant :)

Obviously I have flown in the face of popular opinion but I thought the club were better than this. That's all I am getting at. A simple acknowledgment of his services and a wishing him well would of shown more class than what is there currently.

He doesn't deserve it - I am fully aware of this - but the club is better than that? No?

Anyone got the number of a decent taxi firm? ??

Well meant sentiment - but I genuinely think he doesn't deserve it and the club clearly feel they have been badly treated. Its better to say nothing other than the fact he has gone.

.....but I thought the club were better than this. That's all I am getting at.

Isn't it refreshing that a club hasn't trotted out the usual trite nonsense. Maybe we should have gone a bit further and done what Sunderland did when Colback went to NUFC.

If he was to pull a stunt like this at Liverpool, I'm sure his family would receive a visit from some chaps with shot guns wearing shell suits and balaclavas.

F*** him.

I know I'll be shouted down but sorry but what has he done to warrant that sort of a response? Plus you think this thread is civilised!

Seems to me he's left for an inflated fee to play in the Champions league as players have done for years from all clubs. He's also helped to get us where we are now and we've been handsomely rewarded by him moving on. I for one liked him as a player and bear no grudge towards him.

Instead of all the childish aggression perhaps someone could explain exactly what all this high expressed emotion is about?

It's a shame that Mr Lallana has decided to leave badly. Unfortunately, i have it on good authority that him and his agent were also stirring things up among other players. Not the angel he'd probably like people to believe. Not necessary either and why he wanted to stir things up is anyones guess.

He could have left with good grace, would probably have been able to with no-one disliking him for wanting to play in the CL (I know I would if I could) but he chose another path and made sure it was know (see Luke Shaw for how to make a move properly), much to his detriment.

We knew he was gone with the player awards when he could hardly have been less enthusiastic about staying.

Good luck to him, but hope he realises at some point just how good he had it down at this 'level'.

Well meant sentiment - but I genuinely think he doesn't deserve it and the club clearly feel they have been badly treated. Its better to say nothing other than the fact he has gone.

Dang you quoted me before my edit! I changed my mind as I was digging a deeper hole :)

I know I'll be shouted down but sorry but what has he done to warrant that sort of a response? Plus you think this thread is civilised!

Seems to me he's left for an inflated fee to play in the Champions league as players have done for years from all clubs. He's also helped to get us where we are now and we've been handsomely rewarded by him moving on. I for one liked him as a player and bear no grudge towards him.

Instead of all the childish aggression perhaps someone could explain exactly what all this high expressed emotion is about?

I thought we was mostly joking + hyperbole! I don't suppose he's done anything actually evil. To paraphrase my good mate PG, we could scrutinise Lallana's actions for a twelve-month and I doubt we'd find anything worse than his beard.

Rickie Lambert handled himself like a gent, and the fans showed their appreciation.

Luke Shaw was handed a dream move, was gracious in his leaving, and the club have benefitted to an extraordinary degree.

Adam Lallana appears to be a two faced self serving hypocrite, and the club have quite rightly done the minimum required by protocol.

As far as I am concerned the spoilt brat can go to hell.Iadmired him as a player, but the way he chose to leave our club,is a total and utter disgrace. It looks more and more like Clattenburg was right.

Rickies departure showed the class of the man, Lallanas displayed the polar opposite, absolutely no class at all. Good riddance Lallana.

Errm - perhaps its me. Just for clarification did Lallanus not say this below?

April 2013, having been made captain the previous season, signs a five year deal, and to quote; "If someone was to say that I'd end my career playing for Southampton in the Premier League then I'd snap your hand off for it."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22112980

l]

Other players have said the same and gone.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11700/8495057/rickie-lambert-would-be-happy-to-end-his-career-at-southampton

F*** him.

Unfortunately this. If he tries his little drama queen routine with the Liverpool mafia the scenario will be slightly different. At any rate, I thought the club were civilised enough. No backhanded compliments or dog-whistle digs, just a polite and brief response.

Unfortunately this. If he tries his little drama queen routine with the Liverpool mafia the scenario will be slightly different. At any rate, I thought the club were civilised enough. No backhanded compliments or dog-whistle digs, just a polite and brief response.

Grand scheme of things , eg in real life, I am sure he is a normal bloke etc, and it's only football, so in real life no one really bares him any ill will or grudge.... However, in the mad bad and totally obsessed artificial world of football extreme obsession, he is a ****

On a more serious note, I do think he was old enough and smart enough to realise that his badge kissing antics and 'saint for career' stuff, was pretty stupid... Football is fickle, but you don't Sh*t on the fans of the club that developed you... And the club is perfectly entitled to feel betrayed... He signed a five year deal a short time ago.... Afterall

The whole 'short career stuff' is also Bol lox. Why should footballers not have to work after 35ish... The rt of us do and plenty need to retrain etc during their working lives without the luxury of having earned 15 mil + beforehand...when you ear £200 per week, going to £500 or £1000 makes a real difference to the lives of your family... When on £45,000 per week ... Going else where to get more is just Greed, end of...

Firstly, I am as bitterly disappointed as the next supporter regarding the recent transfers of arguably our best players, including today's transfer of our captain.

However, I am stunned by the vitriol and lack of grace shown by some contributors on this forum and the club also.

With regard to the derisory statement by the club on the official site: I have to say its totally disrespectful and shows a total lack of class. Regardless of the fact that Lallana may of been badly advised or acted like a spoilt kid. The club should be able to rise above such matters. Two wrongs don't make a right and the club should still try and retain its traditions even if on the face of it the player has badly let the club down.

Sorry but don't preach, everyone is entitled to their own reaction and feelings, emotional or not.

Adam chose to act the way he has. He gave up the right to hugs and kisses by acting with such disrespect.

Obviously I have flown in the face of popular opinion but I thought the club were better than this. That's all I am getting at.

I know where you are coming from as on the face of it Lallana has stuck with us through bad times. I am certainly never one to follow the crowd with my opinions but I have to say there is something about this exit that leaves a bad taste. Lambert, although very disappointing to lose such a great player I can only feel grateful for the service he has given us and only wish him the best and Shaw, although he could have stayed another season perhaps, I do not feel bad about him. Something with Lallana has hit a similar chord with certainly the majority of fans on this site. Unfortunate for him , I do not see him getting a good response from us when he plays at St. Marys. Will be embarrassing because Lambert will get a standing ovation [i reckon] and Lallana will be booed big time. [if they both play]

As for the clubs minimal statement. This can only be down to the way he has conducted himself as I do not see the management team as being petty at all.

I think we're normally pretty good with players. I had no bad feeling about Lambert. Not even if Morgan goes to be honest. But Lallana's attitude and comments haven't helped at all. I still think he's a great player and loved watching him, but feel like he never gave as much of a **** as we thought. I'm sure one day he'll apologise, fans will like him again etc.

Christ, even a slightly special monotone Gareth Bale in that daft advert sounds like he has more affection for Saints from 7 years ago than Lallana does after 14 years here.

Hey I love that advert worlds most expensive player name checks saints......what's not to love:D

Bollix to him he acted like a **** and totally ruined any good things he did here.

What is the point of 5 year contracts as they don't mean anything anymore unless your Tommy Forecast!! I always believed watching Adam that he could become a decent player and he showed that last season. To have 3 players in the England squad made me proud to be a Saints fan but......it shows that football is not the game it used to be. It is now all down to who has the most cash.

Even Spurs can't get into the top four with all the money from selling Bale. Players are becoming bigger than the clubs. If you want to leave they will force a move. It will be interesting when Morgan and Lovren come back.

Also I do think the club could have written more on the website. Even if it was to say how much time they have invested into making the player and not the man( if rumours about attitude are true).

Roll on the opening day when we go top after beating our B team!!!

Lallana has acted like a spoilt brat and i hope he is Liverpool's next Stewart Downing and fails miserably

I think the Club statement is spot on. He deserves nothing from Southampton FC. Engineered his transfer, threatened not to play, destabilised the team and helped break morale amongst his team mates. He has no support from anyone.

One day he will regret what he's done.

Sorry but, for the first time in 2 weeks the club have done something right.

The club hasn't shown any vitriol. Just stated the facts in a simple way. No need to do any more if they didn't feel like it. They haven't stooped low at all.

The guy has thrown most of what the club and us, the fans, have given him back in our collective face. We have every right to feel angry. He has shown absolutely no grace or respect since the end of the season.

Stop trying to be controversial for the sake of it or be a needless devil's advocate and look at the situation as it really is.

Aw crap, clicked lack grace by accident. :(

I voted lack grace, I mean it does lack grace! Whatever the circumstances of his departure, he had done 14 yrs. I'm not bothered tho, I don't require much grace from my os they can carry on as they are!

Sorry but don't preach, everyone is entitled to their own reaction and feelings, emotional or not.

Adam chose to act the way he has. He gave up the right to hugs and kisses by acting with such disrespect.

Totally agree. I didn't realise I was preaching though. More stating that I was disappointed. I certainly wasn't telling anyone how they should of reacted. It's got nothing to do with me what people say on a public forum after all. However, as you quite rightly state, I too should be allowed to say what is on my mind.

Adam made a crass statement today basically showing no respect to the club & it's supporters, the club made a short statement saying the transfer had completed.

I see nothing wrong with the club's actions today. I'm disappointed that Adam chose to act the way he has today.

As far as I'm concerned he's gone now THE END.

I think I have figured out what the "b" in "jasonb" stands for anyway

Keep it Saintly there's a nice chap.

I've posted something which goes against popular opinion. I've took some flak for it. Fair enough. I'll live.

Correct me if I've missed something but I haven't seen an interview quote from him today thanking Saints, both Lambert and Shaw made reference to Saints when they left. There must have been one hell of a bust up behind the scenes for the ex saints captain who has been through thick and thin with saints to not make a comment about his time here.