Appalling show of grace from the Club and some fans

jasonb

The Club Statement  

315 members have voted

1. 1. The Club Statement

• Lacked Grace
    • Perfectly Pitched
    • Should have called him a Judas scumbag

Firstly, I am as bitterly disappointed as the next supporter regarding the recent transfers of arguably our best players, including today's transfer of our captain.

However, I am stunned by the vitriol and lack of grace shown by some contributors on this forum and the club also.

With regard to the derisory statement by the club on the official site: I have to say its totally disrespectful and shows a total lack of class. Regardless of the fact that Lallana may of been badly advised or acted like a spoilt kid. The club should be able to rise above such matters. Two wrongs don't make a right and the club should still try and retain its traditions even if on the face of it the player has badly let the club down.

Firstly, I am as bitterly disappointed as the next supporter regarding the recent transfers of arguably our best players, including today's transfer of our captain.

However, I am stunned by the vitriol and lack of grace shown by some contributors on this forum and the club also.

With regard to the derisory statement by the club on the official site: I have to say its totally disrespectful and shows a total lack of class. Regardless of the fact that Lallana may of been badly advised or acted like a spoilt kid. The club should be able to rise above such matters. Two wrongs don't make a right and the club should still try and retain its traditions even if on the face of it the player has badly let the club down.

Bowlocks. The club made their statement the way they obviously felt fit and suitable. It was not derisory, by the way. It was simple and factual.

If you are one of his close friends please have a quiet word with him. If his public actions had been more gracious none of this would have kicked off.

Oh please, the club have enough to do sorting out the players that want to be here at this time of year.

Why spend energy and comment on a player who was signing Liverpool shirts a month ago?

The fact that Shaw and Lambert got decent send offs and adam got **** all says it all buddy.

Lines

Read

Lines

B*ll*cks.

F**k him.

Bowlocks. The club made their statement the way they obviously felt fit and suitable. It was not derisory, by the way. It was simple and factual.

If you are one of his close friends please have a quiet word with him. If his public actions had been more gracious none of this would have kicked off.

what he said.

Oh please, the club have enough to do sorting out the players that want to be here at this time of year.

Why spend energy and comment on a player who was signing Liverpool shirts a month ago?

I bet you're the type of bloke whose wife has been cheating for months on end and finally leaves, taking the kids and the family cat and you're happy for her as long as she's happy.

The fact that Shaw and Lambert got decent send offs and adam got **** all says it all buddy.

Lines

Read

Lines

B*ll*cks.

All of the above, and more.

As far as I'm concerned, they did exactly the right thing - announced he had left to the fans. No more, no less.

Plaudits for departing players are for people who go out of their way to be good to the club, not jump ship at the first opportunity. None of us would begrudge Lambert his move, plus it was a decent deal for us. The others, nothing more to say.

Also worth pointing out that Lallana has moved "to win trophies". In the last 8 years Saints have one JPT and Liverpool one League Cup.

Well, if reports are to be believed, he apparently told the club he would never play for them again, so after all the plaudits he got at the end of last season, from his own team mates, and the fans, he got all stroppy and decided he would force the club's hand without actually putting in a transfer request.

I don't mind if he wants to go to Liverpool or another club that can offer him Champions League football, it was the way he went about it that irks.

Southampton FC has nurtured this player and turned him into an England international. However, that England international should realise that he wasn't first choice for the World Cup, he was a substitute for the likes of Welbeck in an England team that really wasn't very good.

Mark Clattenburg was right about him, his head grew out of all proportion once he got amongst Stevie G and his mates.

So why should fans not vent their anger at the behaviour of someone who appeared little more than a spoilt brat throwing his toys out of the pram and not acting in a professional manner? I think the club and fans deserved a little more loyalty and respect than he gave

Well, if reports are to be believed, he apparently told the club he would never play for them again, so after all the plaudits he got at the end of last season, from his own team mates, and the fans, he got all stroppy and decided he would force the club's hand without actually putting in a transfer request.

I don't mind if he wants to go to Liverpool or another club that can offer him Champions League football, it was the way he went about it that irks.

Southampton FC has nurtured this player and turned him into an England international. However, that England international should realise that he wasn't first choice for the World Cup, he was a substitute for the likes of Welbeck in an England team that really wasn't very good.

Mark Clattenburg was right about him, his head grew out of all proportion once he got amongst Stevie G and his mates.

So why should fans not vent their anger at the behaviour of someone who appeared little more than a spoilt brat throwing his toys out of the pram and not acting in a professional manner? I think the club and fans deserved a little more loyalty and respect than he gave

Quite nicely worded. Probably worth revisiting the past tense he used in his speech at the End of Season Awards too...

Everything said by the above posts mate. You are in the minority I think. Not his PR advisor are you ? ;-)

I think we're normally pretty good with players. I had no bad feeling about Lambert. Not even if Morgan goes to be honest. But Lallana's attitude and comments haven't helped at all. I still think he's a great player and loved watching him, but feel like he never gave as much of a **** as we thought. I'm sure one day he'll apologise, fans will like him again etc.

Christ, even a slightly special monotone Gareth Bale in that daft advert sounds like he has more affection for Saints from 7 years ago than Lallana does after 14 years here.

It'll be interesting to see how the facts of what has actually been said compare to those of the widely derided Kevin Phillips, who pretty much said nothing bad when leaving as we got relegated after being dropped for the last match and still gets battered. I find myself believing the Lallana stories though.

He was my favourite player. Now I feel betrayed. All that guff only a short while ago when he signed a highly lucrative 5 year contract about how he'd be happy to spend all of his career playing for Saints in the PL, and then he tells the Liverpool interviewer that he's wanted to play for them since we played them this last season.

As to any claim that he stayed with us when we went down the leagues, that's bull. As far as we know he had no other offers. And at that stage he wasn't actually rated that highly.

Personally ly id have called his bluff over the 'never play' threat. He had 4 years left on his contract. What was he going to do - sulk for 4 years ? How would that have helped his career?

He's behaved like a ****. Sod him.

Who the ***** are you? Lallana's b*m-buddy?

As others have said before me- it's the way he left that has left a bitter taste.

Can we get the thread renamed? :D

Suggestions appreciated, I like "The Lallana Depreciation Thread". The meaning isn't quite right, but he's certainly got less value to me now.

He must be pretty peed off that Shaw went for more though.

Good post

Have to agree with others about a right way and wrong way of going about things. As I posted elsewhere, it's not the first time he has refused to play, so until I hear to the contrary I'll have to go with events reflecting badly on him.

Can we get the thread renamed? :D

Suggestions appreciated, I like "The Lallana Depreciation Thread". The meaning isn't quite right, but he's certainly got less value to me now.

He must be pretty peed off that Shaw went for more though.

One letter too many - "The Lallana Deprecation Thread" would be pretty much spot on.

He showed a distinct lack of grace with his attitude towards the club that stood by him for years, kept faith in him through his health issues and committed the time and effort into developing him from a raw youngster into the Premiership standard attacker he is today whilst setting him up comfortably for life in the process.

His attitude also shows the disdain he must feel for the 29,000 people who regularly awarded him standing ovations in appreciation of his perceived commitment, 'Saint for life' he said at one point.... A pure charade to manipulate the fans. Just as his kind words towards the Scousers are today. The fans that saw him grow, supported him through inclement form... that always believed in him.

A fake, a charlatan, a devious classless ****. Your character is now clear and bridges well and truly burnt.

There is a perfectly good thread concerning Lallana's departure and yet for some reason you feel the need to start a serarate one of your own.

Where is the vitriol and lack of grace shown by the club? Their statement might have been terse, but how can you therefore describe it as lacking grace or being vitriolic?

What exactly would you have liked them to have said in the circumstances when having nurtured him as developing player and him having been our captain and player of the season, it appears on the face of it that he threatens to withdraw his services to force his departure? And are you privvy to the financial implications of this course of action of his?

And as for the reaction of the fans, then who are you to criticise them? Different people feel different things, so if some feel betrayed by his actions, so what? If others feel that he has been greedy, disloyal, badly advised in his comments, the victim of poor PR, immature, or whatever, then they are just as entitled to express those opinions as you are.

It is the other side of the coin for Lallana. As a star player, he takes all the celebrity and the plaudits, but when he falls from grace, he must accept the brickbats. All very well when he is seen as an idol by fans, the young local lad who did well for us and gained a cult following for staying with us through the divisions, potentially the next one-club man to follow MLT into becoming a Saints legend. And if those fans of his are disallusioned at him for shattering those dreams of theirs because he is just another greedy big club glory hunter, if some don't blame him for taking the money, then others are entitled to vent their spleens through their anger that he wasn't after all the man they thought he was.

Naive perhaps to expect football players to show these rare attributes of loyalty and humility, as they are only people particularly good at kicking a ball about, when all is said and done. Equally their fans are also a broad church comprised of people of many diverse backgrounds, so quite why they should expected to be capable in the main of producing the polite, diplomatic and well mannered responses that are sought after by the OP, I don't know.