Signings

Saint IQ

Think Caulker ship looks to have sailed, maybe we were never in for him? If Hooiveld is staying as 4th choice I can't see us signing 2 Centres back after Lovren goes. No squad will have 5 senior centre backs on thier books

Think Caulker ship looks to have sailed, maybe we were never in for him? If Hooiveld is staying as 4th choice I can't see us signing 2 Centres back after Lovren goes. No squad will have 5 senior centre backs on thier books

Very disappointing to go into another season with yoshida and jos as backups.

GK - Forster/Marshall, and if not one of these two then McCarthy from Reading

CB - de Vrij/Van Dijk , or for younger prospects Kongolo from Feyenoord who can also play LB,or Maguire from Sheff Utd

LB - Robertson

MF - not sure of a wide player, Grenier if we need an AM (although seems unlikely if Ramirez is staying).

ST - Ings

Also agree with St Rees above Clasie if Morgan goes

I believe De Vrij is Man Utd bound too, so you'll be disappointed there too.

IMO we will lose Morgan, Lovren and Osvaldo this summer but keep Ramirez.

So we need a GK, 2 CB, 1LB, 1AM and one more striker. Though we could do without the AM at a pinch.

So Forster and Van Dijk from Celtic, Vlaar from Villa, Any capable left back, don't care who, Redmond, and Ings.

(Which means not replacing Morgan. I think we have enough central midfield competition as it is.)

Edited by SNSUN

An open invitation to disaster if we do.

Will absolutely cost us points again if we do that.

yet we still finished 8th with them as backups last year? Yes they aren't ideal but having them as backups isn't the end of the world both are better than Davenport and that Swedish lump we had in the relegation season.

I'm sure the manager and the board would love to replace them both but it isn't going to be easy to find quality players who don't want to be first choice ideally we need an academy prospect to emerge and push his way up the pecking order but it's a very difficult position for a youngster to establish themselves.

makes you wonder just how many we are going to sign, but at least RK is getting a good look at everyone. Three friendlies (so far) and 24 players have had at least 45 mins. each

Any clues to new numbers?

well ..Jack Cork has started all three occasions and worn 4, and JWP has had the 10 shirt. Sam G. has used 19, and Billy Sharp 20 . Matt Target has had no. 3 and Pelle 9 (twice).

OK...it probably doesn't mean anything, BUT as everyone else is having ago...here my contribution.

..as for goalies. The name list isn't so long ....and fairly predictable, but with Dave Watson as goalie coach should we add John Ruddy to the list?

LB.......I've got a feeling that Matt Targett may get a few starts in the Prem., before RK brings in another more experienced foreigner.

CB ...I'm sure we haven't seen the last Dutchman signed yet ..maybe van Dijk. or couldn't be Ron Vlaar??? (sorry - I'm not convinced about Caulker).

M..... with the line-up we have already (Steve Davis, Wanyama, Cork, JWP, and Mc Queen and Reed on the horizon ...and of course Ramirez)....maybe the answer to that one is already.. Tadic.

Striker....Of course we already have Pelle...but, how I'd love to see John Guidetti come in. (Swedes follow his career so eagerly )...and the proverbial Sam Ings saga ...??

not long to wait now. By the time we've played Brighton AND Bournemouth, I expect to see most of the answers.

Edited by david in sweden

as of now

GK

LB

Wide Player

ST

then replace anyone else who leaves

so, CB when lovren leaves

This, but with an immediate CB requirement as well; Lovren leaving means a second is needed.

I dont see replacing Morgan as urgent, perhaps even necessary at all.

Yep. Our perennial CB problem has well-and-truly returned; at this rate Jos and Yos will be lining up against Rickie and Judas on 17 Aug.

So we'll drop Fonte just for the lols? Might as well put Gazzaniga in goal too.

I somehow how think we'll have brought in an extra centre back by the opening game but even if not we still have Fonte.

at this rate Jos and Yos will be lining up against Rickie and Judas on 17 Aug.

Neither ex-saint will start. Lambert in particular will almost certainly never start a prem game again. May never play in the prem again for that matter.

We make 4-5 new signings this summer, who (realistically) would you buy?

For me

GK-Forster

CB/LB- De Vrij

RM/LM- Redmond

ST-Ings

Not sure what position we'll need to buy for the 5th one..

Swap Van Dijk for De Vrij (who we won't get). Need a second CB (loan Jos out for final year of contract) and also a LB as well. Agree with your other suggestions though.

Am open on the CB role but I would really fancy Guidetti over Ings purely based on Koeman has worked with him before and he scored a tonne in the system we are going to play.

Would be under whelmed if Redmond was our RM buy, we have a tonne of cash and should be looking for decisive quality in the final third not someone who plays well once every 10 games.

This, but with an immediate CB requirement as well; Lovren leaving means a second is needed.

I dont see replacing Morgan as urgent, perhaps even necessary at all.

Agree on both points, 2 CB's are needed if Lovren leaves. 1 if he stays (as we want to porgress still and improve.) And a replacement for morgan would block the natural progresion of JWP, Reed and McQueen who can get game time behind Cork and Wanyama.

If this was FIFA or Football manager?

I'd get Vorm, Blind, De Vrij, Griezman and Anthony Martial (main targets, but I'd look for Guidetti, Garbutt, Krkic, Will Hughes and Bamford, too!).

I don't think we will get any of those (although all / most are both available and within our means), but have faith in our scouting team that we will get adequate players.

You see here lies the problem face by us and many other england supporters of those you just mentioned the talent pool for english players is becoming smaller each year in top flight football because clubs and not too much in our case due to the exellent accademy want to buy foreign now im a huge saints and england fan but dont you think it would be fantastic if for once we were good at a major competition but sadly i fear not and it will be many years to come and maybe not in my lifetime .

Am open on the CB role but I would really fancy Guidetti over Ings purely based on Koeman has worked with him before and he scored a tonne in the system we are going to play.

Would be under whelmed if Redmond was our RM buy, we have a tonne of cash and should be looking for decisive quality in the final third not someone who plays well once every 10 games.

Plays well for under 21's when I've seen him, perhaps he just needs better players around him

You see here lies the problem face by us and many other england supporters of those you just mentioned the talent pool for english players is becoming smaller each year in top flight football because clubs and not too much in our case due to the exellent accademy want to buy foreign now im a huge saints and england fan but dont you think it would be fantastic if for once we were good at a major competition but sadly i fear not and it will be many years to come and maybe not in my lifetime .

Most English players are semi-literate

We make 4-5 new signings this summer, who (realistically) would you buy?

For me

GK-Forster

CB/LB- De Vrij

RM/LM- Redmond

ST-Ings

Not sure what position we'll need to buy for the 5th one..

If we only sign 5, realistically I'm going to want them to be De Gea, Thiago Silva, Rojo, Bale and Messi. Because we needed 5 before we even lost any.

Were you in a hurry to get this posted?

I guarantee that whoever we bring in (if anyone) will be met with a feeling of being somewhat underwhelmed by most of the posters here. What the club party line is and what will transpire will be...lets say different.

I doubt there'll be a marquee signing this summer, just good, solid players that add to the team. Mind you if Ramirez, Osvaldo and Lovren were marquee signings, we aren't exactly missing much.

I guarantee that whoever we bring in (if anyone) will be met with a feeling of being somewhat underwhelmed by most of the posters here. What the club party line is and what will transpire will be...lets say different.

I disagree with that TBH, Ive been openly critical of how the club have been handling exits (thats not an invitation to discuss it here BTW, plenty of other threads) I think that the players bought in and those we are looking at are perfectly acceptable. Pretty much the level we are aiming at. Money or not we arent likely to get a big big signing due to A. Not being one of the big boys and B. We wont be attractive after shifting our top players

I'd go for rose at spurs, he's available now they have Davies. He has had 2 solid season's at sland and spurs, would provide competition with target without benching him all season, and has always been able to play left midfield if injuries ever mean we are short.

Also forster, vlaar, Patterson from forest, Hernandez.

I disagree with that TBH, Ive been openly critical of how the club have been handling exits (thats not an invitation to discuss it here BTW, plenty of other threads) I think that the players bought in and those we are looking at are perfectly acceptable. Pretty much the level we are aiming at. Money or not we arent likely to get a big big signing due to A. Not being one of the big boys and B. We wont be attractive after shifting our top players

I think you've been pretty reasonable and balanced in putting across your opinions. I don't necessarily agree with all of them, but I don't think you've overreacted.

I'd go for rose at spurs, he's available now they have Davies. He has had 2 solid season's at sland and spurs, would provide competition with target without benching him all season, and has always been able to play left midfield if injuries ever mean we are short.

Also forster, vlaar, Patterson from forest, Hernandez.

Yeah Rose ticks a lot of boxes for me. The fact that he can potentially push on and play on wing if needed would be an added bonus.

I'd be very surprised if we sign 2 players from Celtic - can't see us signing both Forster and Van Dijk - and of the 2 it is more likely to be Forster and we will have to over pay for him

It also sounds like De Vrij and Koeman fell out at Feyenoord so I can't see him signing for us - he'll be off to a Man Utd I expect - and why would Vlaar leave Villa for us - they are arguably a bigger club than us and we're not the up and coming club we were 4 months ago

I fully expect Fonte and a Yoshida to be our starting centre backs - with Caulker gone to QPR - and Hooiveod and Turnbull the back up on the bench

I'd like to see us sign Guidetti, Castaignos and Redmond up front - but I think that's the level we are looking at - £5-7 million players in the main - a bit of youth pace and with a sell on value in a couple if years

I fully expect Sharp and Mayuka to go out on loan

I think we've been burnt by signing players like Gaston and Osvaldo - both of whom we'll lose a lot of money on when the leave this summer

I'd like us to bring in some of the bright young talent from South America - U21 players from Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Argentina - before another European team beats us to it and their price trebles after a season or two over here - players like Manuel Lanzini and Luciano Vietto - and send them on loan to a club in Holland or Spain if we have to for a year or so. It's how clubs like Porto survive

I'd be very surprised if we sign 2 players from Celtic - can't see us signing both Forster and Van Dijk - and of the 2 it is more likely to be Forster and we will have to over pay for him

It also sounds like De Vrij and Koeman fell out at Feyenoord so I can't see him signing for us - he'll be off to a Man Utd I expect - and why would Vlaar leave Villa for us - they are arguably a bigger club than us and we're not the up and coming club we were 4 months ago

I fully expect Fonte and a Yoshida to be our starting centre backs - with Caulker gone to QPR - and Hooiveod and Turnbull the back up on the bench

I'd like to see us sign Guidetti, Castaignos and Redmond up front - but I think that's the level we are looking at - £5-7 million players in the main - a bit of youth pace and with a sell on value in a couple if years

I fully expect Sharp and Mayuka to go out on loan

I think we've been burnt by signing players like Gaston and Osvaldo - both of whom we'll lose a lot of money on when the leave this summer

I'd like us to bring in some of the bright young talent from South America - U21 players from Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Argentina - before another European team beats us to it and their price trebles after a season or two over here - players like Manuel Lanzini and Luciano Vietto - and send them on loan to a club in Holland or Spain if we have to for a year or so. It's how clubs like Porto survive

Surely with all the players that have gone/are going he will look to keep Ramirez for this season at least

Found this article, hadn't seen it before. Interesting insight into how Koeman views players.

http://dutchsoccersite.org/ronald-koeman-hero-in-rotterdam/

Very good, thanks

" “I hope that I taught them that they’re not talents anymore. They need to be killers, they needed that mentality. That and some old fashioned bringing up you know. Some values. When I came here, the players were allowed to have lunch at home. And they sometimes trained at 1 pm and the players were free in the morning! Well not with me… I made them come to the club earlier, we’d eat together… I have so many young players and when you let them come at 1 pm, God knows what they do with their morning… Sleep in? Have a pizza? Play games? I needed to bring them in. I needed them to have a decent lunch before training. I also made a clear statement. “Age is not an issue for me. The best man plays. But…if you do play, even if you’re only 18, I expect you to deliver. No hiding behind “but I am still young” arguments.” As a coach of young players, you have to sometimes act as their dad…”

Found this article, hadn't seen it before. Interesting insight into how Koeman views players.

http://dutchsoccersite.org/ronald-koeman-hero-in-rotterdam/

"His role in Oranje made his a true hero with most Dutch fans secretly loving his “wipe the ass gesture” with Thon’s jersey in 1988"

Koeman-R-thon.jpg

Hahaha i would love it if someone got Lallana liverpool shirt + wiped arse on it! I'm looking at you, Jose Fonte! Make urself a legend!