Will this be the best transfer window for Saints ever?

Mallagroth

All very well and good except that clearly isn't what we had. We didn't have a group of young players wanting to play for the shirt.

Luke Shaw ASKED to leave

Calum Chambers has ASKED to leave

Adam Lallana threatened to go on strike in order to leave

For the very talented players we bring through we are a stepping stone. £££££ talks

And all of them plus others plus the Coach were happy to stay at Saints while Cortese was at the helm...Maybe not indefinitely, but certainly with no urgency to leave.

Maybe you should be asking why more than half the team wanted out within a month or so of this Board of ****wits taking over

Shaw played one full season with us as first choice left back? Also he is the best left back in the premier league in your opinion, you wouldn't get a consensus on this across all the fans of other clubs and British media. I think you're well off the mark. He is a great player though and a shame we couldn't have him with us for another year.

You wouldn't get a consensus across all fans of other clubs and the media on any player being the best in any position. And he played near enough two seasons.

And all of them plus others plus the Coach were happy to stay at Saints while Cortese was at the helm...Maybe not indefinitely, but certainly with no urgency to leave.

Maybe you should be asking why more than half the team wanted out within a month or so of this Board of ****wits taking over

This.

Those players simply did not have the firm interest from the biggest and richest clubs in the world in the time Cortese was here. Lovren was six months into a contract when Cortese scarpered. No fu ck er of significance wanted Lallana this time last year. Shaw became the hot player in the last season. Lambert was up for sale in January.

We're not going to pay players hundred thousand pound a week salaries and I, for one, am fu cking delighted by that fact.

If it means we rebuild and finish 12th, 14th or even lower this season then so be it. Bring it on.

The rest of you can weep away but I am looking forward to the new season, especially once Ron's new look Saints start to click come the winter.

Well, I shouldn't be too negative about what's going on.

Of course it's kind of ridiculous that Liverpool FC bought 3 players from Southampton, but at least all those transfers make it possible to reinvest a lot in new players.

For me Pellè is a brilliant player, I'd have taken him over Balotelli and Immobile as best Italian striker, I've seen a lot of matches of him because I live in the Netherlands and I'm truly impressed by his skills.

If Tadic had more pace than he would play for Real Madrid because technically he is brilliant, he is very smart and hard working player, and here again I wouldn't say that Lallana is better than him.

Koeman is not a coach that buys stars, he is a coach that creats stars like v. Gaal, even without new players I'd confident that Southampton will keep a top 10 ranking next season.

I'm hoping that Koeman made a list of new players that he want, nationality is not important but I hope some of my countrymen will join Southampton FC, there are a lot of talented players here like you have seen at the World Cup and expect of Strootman there is probably no Dutch player who will cost more than 25m pounds and I'm sure that a lot of Eredivisie players can make it in EPL likewise v Gaal said before it's the fourth competition in the world with an excellent working youth system, good tactics and full stadiums.

De Vrij could be a top signing for Southampton, he already was the Feyenoord captain at the age of 20, he is a decent defender who is still young but he plays like an experienced player around the age of 30, you can have him for 8m euros (so 5m pounds?) otherwise v. Dijk is also a defender with a great potential.

We will see what comes and what leaves, but remember that when Koeman joined Feyenoord there was no money, they were ended at place 11 in the league and he had to improvise, he picked up a lot of players from the U21 and U19 teams and those players became third at the World Cup.

So there is always hope :)

I'm su

It all depends on how much of what we raked in is re-invested in the squad, will be very very surprised if anywhere near what we have received, my guess is we will gamble on cheaper replacements with potential

How will know how much money is reinvested though? All the deals have been un-disclosed so unless the media reports can be believed it'll be impossible to know whether we've reinvested or not. I guess if you trust the board there's not a problem!

Those players simply did not have the firm interest from the biggest and richest clubs in the world in the time Cortese was here. Lovren was six months into a contract when Cortese scarpered. No fu ck er of significance wanted Lallana this time last year. Shaw became the hot player in the last season. Lambert was up for sale in January.

We're not going to pay players hundred thousand pound a week salaries and I, for one, am fu cking delighted by that fact.

If it means we rebuild and finish 12th, 14th or even lower this season then so be it. Bring it on.

The rest of you can weep away but I am looking forward to the new season, especially once Ron's new look Saints start to click come the winter.

We don't always agree, but I'm with you on this 100%

My first semi-negative observation of recent events is that the OS statement following Lovren's confirmed exit sounds like a very poor attempt at spin. Although I would like to be patient, I would like to see some tangible evidence of this reinvestment in the squad pretty damn quickly.

My first semi-negative observation of recent events is that the OS statement following Lovren's confirmed exit sounds like a very poor attempt at spin. Although I would like to be patient, I would like to see some tangible evidence of this reinvestment in the squad pretty damn quickly.

Are you talking about the made - up club statement on the Lovren thread?

The official club statement on Lovren does not talk about reinvestment.

Are you talking about the made - up club statement on the Lovren thread?

The official club statement on Lovren does not talk about reinvestment.

Yeah maybe so - the actual OS is barely usable on this ipad :(.

Nevertheless, my feelings on the matter are still the same!

I refuse to get negative about what we all know has been coming since Mopo announced he may be off and some of the players suggested they might go with him. Maybe it's because I was lucky and been through what most seem now to be feeling, in the first two weeks when the Argie left. I've come full circle and now think it's great that we're not fighting it and just clearing them out for top money. (Chambers at the prices I've heard I simply don't get though). At that point we didn't have Koeman, Tadic or Pelle. AS CB said we will rebuild and perhaps have a better foundation this time than a league 1 team. Just need to take some deep breaths… although I might need some oxygen if something else positive doesn't happen this week. If Koeman can get players to sign and keep the team playing as a unit despite the state the club looks in from the casual observation then like CB_Fry said the manager could have us flying come Xmas.

Obvious trolling attempt, but one point bugged me enough to respond - Shaw was not a one season kid.

The jury is not still out, and they didn't pay that much "for the potential". He is the best left back in the Premier League already.

maybe? .....but then again there isn't much more English competition to choose from - is there ? ... and all the foreign candidates are only here for the money.

Why do we always downgrade players once they've left? The fact is we will not replace them with anyone near their ability at this present time, the replacements may become as influential as the players that have left, but that will take time and patience.

It reminds me back to when we sold Bale, who has since gone onto become a mega-star. ''We can do better than him, we can replace him with Andrew Surman - he can play at LB''. Same as Oxo, easily replaced by De Ridder or something.

We've lost tremendous players, there's no way of polishing that up as any sort of positive. We have lost tremendous players who we will struggle to replace. That is the sad story.

See, there you go again. You really do think that if you use the word "fact" before or after any comment you make, then your opinion is somehow indisputable. It is a bad habit you are developing.

In the left back position, we have now produced Bridge, Bale and Shaw via the academy. Why is it deemed to be impossible that we should not produce another LB of equal quality to them?

These tremendous players we have lost, let's put an alternative gloss on it, just for the sake of balance, eh?

Lovren - got him cheap from a CL club because his career was in the doldrums. He was sidelined there, but we took a gamble on him and pulled it off. Surely he isn't the only player like that available anywhere?

Lambert - got him from the third division for £1 million. A rough diamond that we polished, made him leaner and fitter and gave him the self-belief that he could prove all the doubters wrong who said that he couldn't play any level higher than the third division. Replaced with the second highest scorer in the Dutch top division. Or isn't that above the level of our third division?

Lallana - A reasonably competent players with skill, but often scuffs his shots or they lack power. One really decent season and enough to convince Liverpool that he is the real deal, but worth nowhere near what they paid for him. We screwed them and have possibly signed a better player in Tadic for half the money.

Shaw - A World record for an 18 year old left back. One decent season. Could go on to be the best in England, maybe even the World. But you said that Bale was irreplaceable and wasn't he a left back from our academy too? Maybe difficult to replace the player he might become, but not impossible to replace the player he is now, given the money from him that we could put towards doing it.

There, I've just polished it up as some sort of positive.

As for the manager, well, I think that we've improved there too, but we'll have to wait and see.

Am i alone in thinking that whatever the board would have done, we can never stop players who get offers from the top 5 clubs? What is amazing that so many of our players are rated by the richest clubs in Europe. I refuse to panic untill we start losing players to side who finished below us.

See, there you go again. You really do think that if you use the word "fact" before or after any comment you make, then your opinion is somehow indisputable. It is a bad habit you are developing.

In the left back position, we have now produced Bridge, Bale and Shaw via the academy. Why is it deemed to be impossible that we should not produce another LB of equal quality to them?

These tremendous players we have lost, let's put an alternative gloss on it, just for the sake of balance, eh?

Lovren - got him cheap from a CL club because his career was in the doldrums. He was sidelined there, but we took a gamble on him and pulled it off. Surely he isn't the only player like that available anywhere?

Lambert - got him from the third division for £1 million. A rough diamond that we polished, made him leaner and fitter and gave him the self-belief that he could prove all the doubters wrong who said that he couldn't play any level higher than the third division. Replaced with the second highest scorer in the Dutch top division. Or isn't that above the level of our third division?

Lallana - A reasonably competent players with skill, but often scuffs his shots or they lack power. One really decent season and enough to convince Liverpool that he is the real deal, but worth nowhere near what they paid for him. We screwed them and have possibly signed a better player in Tadic for half the money.

Shaw - A World record for an 18 year old left back. One decent season. Could go on to be the best in England, maybe even the World. But you said that Bale was irreplaceable and wasn't he a left back from our academy too? Maybe difficult to replace the player he might become, but not impossible to replace the player he is now, given the money from him that we could put towards doing it.

There, I've just polished it up as some sort of positive.

As for the manager, well, I think that we've improved there too, but we'll have to wait and see.

Hurrah! Like it

BBC Sport app says (referring to Chambers sale) we are 'poised to lose our 10th player of the window'. Now I know it's been hard to keep up with the outgoings but 10?

Guly, Unassigned Players, Released

Dani Osvaldo, £??, Never coming back

Adam Lallana, Liverpool, £25.0m

Rickie Lambert, Liverpool, £4.0m

Luke Shaw, Manchester United, £27.0m

Dejan Lovren, Liverpool, £20m

Callum Chambers, Arsenal, £16m

I count 7 out the door, maybe they are adding players on loan to that as well.

As has often been said, we ae currently the victims of our own success. It is immensively flattering to have the best clubs in the country after our players and an ex player playing for one of the biggest clubs in the world. As has also been said we are not a big club and if it is true that Shaw is on something like £100k or £120k a week it is easy to see why we cant keep players. A few years ago, apart from a few notable exceptions, we couldnt give players away. If the club (which includes Les Reed) had not done so well in turning things around we wouldnt have enjoyed the last few seasons so much - this is the payback. However there is no reason the belive that the world is coming to an end - things are changing - that is all. Yes, it is a lot to take in and it isnt very nice to see so many players go in one window but there is no point in kicking off until we see what squad we have come the end of the transfer window.

I never thought I would agree with sadoldgit, but I do agree 100%:)

• 4 weeks later...

You've really got to have a laugh at those claiming that this is the worst window ever. They don't even have the sense to realise that the transfer window doesn't close for another week, so a bit premature to make snap judgements until then. And to judge the team on just two matches really takes the biscuit too. OK, a disappointing match against West Brom, who came here with spoiling tactics, but a very encouraging first match against the PL runners-up last season at Anfield. I can't be arsed to look back at the comments on here following our first home match last season, but that was a home draw too, 1-1 against Sunderland. Then ensued a good run of results, which may be replicated this season too. If it does, then some people will look pretty stupid.

I suspect that we have the typical knee-jerk reactions forming these opinions that are typical of certain posters on here following a match like this one. We didn't even lose it.

Please name a worse one then Wes?

Don't bother. We've swapped out some players and swapped some new ones in. It's easy, it's fine, everyone does it all the time and basically replacing our team-of-the-year outgoing players is exactly the same as binning off rubbish players and getting new ones. All the same.

Don't bother. We've swapped out some players and swapped some new ones in. It's easy, it's fine, everyone does it all the time and basically replacing our team-of-the-year outgoing players is exactly the same as binning off rubbish players and getting new ones. All the same.

Everyone does it all the time except no one has really ever done it before have they, ie: flog the whole spine of a successful side.

As the window hasn't closed, as I have pointed out, I don't need to make a judgement yet. Neither can you, without knowing who is yet to be signed.

Don't judge. Apart from when to say tadic and pelle are as good as lambert and Lallana

• 2 months later...
:toppa:

P.S How did that conversation with Wes go Saint Charlie you didn't post about it?

and yes I know I am a C*nt for resurrecting this thread.:twisted:

I don't think so, you deserve some credit for keeping some perspective when many were losing there's and being pretty abusive to you. I found this thread pretty entertaining to re-read. It's interesting to see which posters came out of that able to hold their heads high and which should feel a bit silly.

The things people mocked you for in the OP have so far proved to be about right. I'm just glad I didn't comment...

On reflection the transfer window activity appears to be the work of a genius. Shift on over the hill or over rated players for vastly inflated fees, replacing them with better players at a fraction of the cost, meanwhile empowering the manger to begin gelling them into a functional, cohesive unit. There was clearly a plan in place that was executed to perfection.

I feel a round of applause emoticon is lacking from this board and I implore the site to add on for occasions such as this.