Pelle

Aziz Yebda

Perhaps that's because he's been isolated on his own with no one to find?

This. Up in the Itchen North we were all chuckling at the mongs around us blaming Pelle and yelling "COME ORN! WIN SUMMING!" when he had two players on him and no red shirts within 30-odd yards of him.

Having said that, he did often seem to flick it fairly aimlessly and I'm afraid that considering he hasn't really got an awful lot else to his game, its something he's going to have to be good at.

Judge him after 10-15 games.

People need to leave off Pelle! Given time, good coaching and the right type of service and support he could easily develop into something approaching a mediocre Premier League striker. He could be the Carlton Cole or Jonathan Walters that we have been looking for. Let's not right him off too soon pls.

LOL :)

He's a proper in the box striker. I'll judge him on his finishing once we create some damn chances for him. 2 games, seen all of one, highlights of the other and all I've learned is he seems quite strong, isn't yet making decisions quick enough, but hasn't actually had a decent chance.

I've seen both games on the TV live and think he is too slow but has had no support from midfield. But all those aerial battles won wouldn't have gone to any one except the defence, which they did. Hey DID rimes with DUD. :)

I've seen both games on the TV live and think he is too slow but has had no support from midfield. But all those aerial battles won wouldn't have gone to any one except the defence, which they did. Hey DID rimes with DUD. :)

The 20 he lost also would have gone to the opposition

aa965ebbd77cb7818ce2cce3b278fafd.jpg

Olsson had him in his pocket on Saturday until he started dropping deeper to lay the ball off, by which point we had no target man....I hope there is much more to come from Pelle as he gets used to the pace and style of the EPL...it's far too early at this stage to write him off...

It rhymes better with "div", which, in your case, is more apposite.

I think we also need to understand that he might be appearing to be static because that's what Ron wants him to do. Last season we saw SRL pulling out wide or dropping deep, because those were his instructions.

It might not just be Pelle getting used to the EPL, but also Ron and his team developing their style for dealing with it.

It's clear as a pike staff stat a static CF is going to have PL centre backs crawling all over him, and they will swin the majority of the arial duels because all good CBs do.

Let's just see how it develops.

Some of the criticism of Pelle is rather harsh. OK, I'd like see a bit more mobility based on Saturday's display but as someone pointed out, when he did drop deep to link up with play, that left us with no outlet at all and really toothless. Only Tadic was prepared to make any serious runs forwards. The current midfield is solid - which is a good platform to build from - but needs pace to break and join up with Pelle. Bringing in at least one, preferably two blisteringly quick winger/strikers and starting Taider once he's adapted to the PL would be ideal and make us less predictable. It would get a bit more space for Tadic too who teams are bound to mark heavily and neuter as our only creative and dangerous outlet.

As with every season, I'm going to judge the team after ten games.

I wasn't one of those cheering when he eventually did win a ball in the air, and I am not a knuckle dragger, however I was concerned that he looked to have trouble winning the ball when we repeatedly hit it toward him. I very rarely saw him win the ball with his head. He was very good controlling the ball and laying it off with his chest, but as has been said, Olsson had a very easy time of it.

From what I've seen and read he's very good with his feet, so it begs the question why isn't he receiving the ball at his feet? If he looked so uncomfortable winning the ball in the air, and I think he did at times, why did we persist on providing it to him like that?

Wasn't all that impressed but as I said, judging the team as a whole after ten games.

it is very early days but looks like a very slow unmobile SRL at the moment! but didn't everyone say lambert was useless when he first came to the club?

No, because we were playing in League One and he actually looked pretty good right from the start. As I have no doubt Pelle would, in League One.

Also, your first phrase "slow unmobile" is a tautology. Finally, "unmobile" should be "immobile".

Also worth pointing out that we've stopped passing the ball short at goal kicks, so chances are that'll be adding to our "aerial duels competed in" stat as well as Fonte not seeing any options other than wanging it at the big man.

No, because we were playing in League One and he actually looked pretty good right from the start. As I have no doubt Pelle would, in League One.

Also, your first phrase "slow unmobile" is a tautology. Finally, "unmobile" should be "immobile".

Now that is the player we should have signed.

I bet he scores no more than 12 goals this season.

so twice the number JRod scored in his first season in the PL?

Would be a pretty fair return.

Not to mention that "only" 12 would only be 2 fewer than Lambert got in the League last season taking penalties and free kicks...

great stat.. should shut a few mongs up.

Yeah because the amount of headers he's won against two teams proves he's better than people think. Of course it's not like that stat could well be the same if he was 6 foot 5 and the defenders where blasting it into his face from three yards away whilst he stood immobile.

Nope stats prove everything even when taken out of context.

Yeah because the amount of headers he's won against two teams proves he's better than people think. Of course it's not like that stat could well be the same if he was 6 foot 5 and the defenders where blasting it into his face from three yards away whilst he stood immobile.

Nope stats prove everything even when taken out of context.

Wouldn't that be an intercepted pass?

The problem is, a lot of people on here have already written him off. They had done so before he even kicked a ball. The idiots slating him on here are even worse than the morons I had to suffer on Saturday (Kingsland Block 33. There, I'll name and shame you.)

His good performances will just be isolated moments in a sea of mediocrity because they want him to be, rather than the other way around. He could score 20 this season and he won't shake off the Lambert comparisons. It's such a shame. Try supporting your team no matter what. The Man Utd fans were singing their hearts out at 4-0 to MK Dons this evening. Man Utd ffs. Plastic as they come.

Give. Him. Time

Pelle got some real support from the fans at Millwall tonight. Another rubbish first half but he kept plugging away and played much better in the second. Missed at least 3 great chances but eventually scored in extra time.

Wish someone would show him how to jump for the ball, but all in all he and the rest of the team might be showing a few signs that things are coming together slowly.

He did well tonight and you could see the goal coming. The Saints Fans in the crowd sang his name and this lifted him too. He mentioned this in his post match interview. Looked as though we could get goals last night in 2nd half. (stats 15 shots)

Pelle's most important contribution to yesterday's match was never giving up despite how crappy his luck got - he was clean through at one point and the ball just appeared glued to his head. By the time it came down there was a defender in front of him and even then he got a backheel off which deflected wide. He had a couple of air shots where you could see he was trying too hard, but kept going, and eventually got his reward. I was genuinely delighted for him - hopefully he'll get some confidence from it and start showing what he can do, he's clearly taking a bit of time to adjust but he's got all the physical qualities needed to succeed.

Have to say I thought our fans were excellent in supporting him last night as well.

Whether he becomes a success here or not, only time will tell but there some things for sure :

He is a fighter, he works hard, he takes responsibility, he never hides, he has a very strong work ethic and a good positive attitude !

These attributes should command our respect even if his quality is found to be lacking which I truly hope that it is not !

Pelle's most important contribution to yesterday's match was never giving up despite how crappy his luck got - he was clean through at one point and the ball just appeared glued to his head. By the time it came down there was a defender in front of him and even then he got a backheel off which deflected wide. He had a couple of air shots where you could see he was trying too hard, but kept going, and eventually got his reward. I was genuinely delighted for him - hopefully he'll get some confidence from it and start showing what he can do, he's clearly taking a bit of time to adjust but he's got all the physical qualities needed to succeed.

Have to say I thought our fans were excellent in supporting him last night as well.

Yup, it was admirable how he simply refused to give up even though it looked like it wasn't going to be his night. Didn't shy away from the ball and kept on trying to get on the scoresheet. He definitely deserved his goal.

Hard to dislike someone that keeps going like that when it really looks like it's not going to happen for you. Hope for him (and Saints) this is the start of a decent scoring run for the guy.

Edited by KelvinsRightGlove

You have to admire someone who keeps going, and going and putting themselves on the line. He could have easily sunk back into a shell, but from last night you can see he's a confident lad who believes in his own ability.

And it was a pretty handy finish, if we're honest. Clean strike.

I saw a lot more in that 2nd half that made me a hell of a lot more confident about him, ok it was Millwall, but he showed real desire which had since then been lacking.