Newcastle Build Up

Wiggles31

Seems a very defensive bench, but then there really isn't much alternative. With JRod yet to come back, Ramirez shipped out, Guly sat on his arse and assuming Gallagher still injured, only Mayuka would really add anything attack wise, and I'm not convinced he will get used much this season, if at all. I think RK has set us up well defensively, but doesn't seem to have addressed the attack in the same way.

Being well organised defensively may be a bonus, Cabella is a very dangerous player on his day although Newcastle may be too weak to really exploit his talent.

I think this will be easy cos Newcastle are poop! I would really rub it in by playing second team, or at v.least give starts to some of the fringe players like Taider and Ramirez :thumbup:

In other news I'm already looking forward to watching True Geordie's angar video! That was one of my highlights of last season!

[video=youtube_share;BE_dgKxeSlw]http://youtu.be/BE_dgKxeSlw

I think this will be easy cos Newcastle are poop! I would really rub it in by playing second team, or at v.least give starts to some of the fringe players like Taider and Ramirez :thumbup:

In other news I'm already looking forward to watching True Geordie's angar video! That was one of my highlights of last season!

He's predicting us to be 9th.

Would love another of these videos though so hopefully a steam roll :lol: :D

Finding it really difficult to call this one.

Kingsbridge might be right, I've got a feeling Newcastle (as with most lower/mid-table teams) will 'park the bus' and be happy to go home with a point. IMO we often struggled to break these teams down at home last season and weren't clinical enough in taking the chances we did create against them. Also, to a degree, such tactics will negate Mane's added pace (I think he might be used as an impact sub for this one) so it will be interesting to see how Koeman handles this situation and what he learned from the dire West Brom game.

I was never confident that Poch really knew what to do in these games last year, preferring to trust his system to eventually come good rather than changing things up when most of us in the stands thought he should. I guess to be fair, his options from the bench were limited and this couldn't have helped but even if this weren't the case I'm sure we would only have seen a change of personnel rather than tactics. Personally, I'd be made up if Koeman is brave enough to have a real go at home this time around ... even if it means dropping the odd point whilst trying to gain two.

Saints under Pochettino beat Newcastle 4-0 at St Mary's last season. We were completely dominant all over the pitch and destroyed them.

Thanks for your help MLG ... No need to worry then, we're bound to beat them again (just like we did Liverpool away eh) :mcinnes:

In true MLG fashion, in your haste to roll out a statistic to prove a point you've completely missed mine. Please read my post again, slowly if necessary, and hopefully you will notice this time that I wasn't talking about the Newcastle game last season or any specific team or game for that matter. I was simply suggesting that it will be interesting to see how Koeman reacts to (any) team that 'parks the bus' and whether he can make sound tactical changes when needed. Despite enjoying the way we played under Poch when his system worked (generally against the teams that wanted to give us a game) I was often frustrated (in a grown up way not in Alpine fashion) when we struggled to break a team down as Poch didn't favour trying something different.

HTH.

I was simply suggesting that it will be interesting to see how Koeman reacts to (any) team that 'parks the bus' and whether he can make sound tactical changes when needed. Despite enjoying the way we played under Poch when his system worked (generally against the teams that wanted to give us a game) I was often frustrated (in a grown up way not in Alpine fashion) when we struggled to break a team down as Poch didn't favour trying something different.

HTH.

Not sure Newcastle have really got the players for a defensively sound, park-the-bus type approach. Since Koeman's approach already seems to place less of a premium on maintaining maximum possession, it should inevitably draw the opposition out a bit and encourage them to play, leaving gaps for our quicker players (of which we had pretty much none last season) to exploit.

Not sure Newcastle have really got the players for a defensively sound, park-the-bus type approach. Since Koeman's approach already seems to place less of a premium on maintaining maximum possession, it should inevitably draw the opposition out a bit and encourage them to play, leaving gaps for our quicker players (of which we had pretty much none last season) to exploit.

Good point and I hope you're right mate as they really don't look to have too much going forward that should worry us.

*Note to MLG* ... See, that's how you do it!

Won't be the same without Waigo, Hammond and Connolly though

we have the modern day equivalents in Mane, Davis and Long!

any updates on the various injuries Newcastle have?

i'm going for a narrow 2-1 win for Saints

How about this for an alternative starting line-up?

..................Forster

Clyne....Fonte....Alderweireld...Bertrand

...............Schneiderlin

.......Ward-Prowse.......Davis

Tadic..............................Isgrove

....................Pelle

Subs: Boruc, Gardos, Yoshida, Long, Cork, Mane, Wanyama.

I've assumed Gardos is not yet fully match fit to be given a starting berth and that Mane won't have trained with the squad enough yet. I've also reasoned that Koeman may have taken note that Newcastle are vulnerable and that we seem more coherent without both Wanyama and Schneiderlin in defensive midfield. I have also reasoned that Koeman will have had a bit more time with Isgrove, Fonte and Bertrand who have not been on international duty to plan some tactics which can be implemented on Saturday and that those who haven't been away on international duty may be fresher - hence he may opt to give Isgrove a start.

Of course, I recognise that my own reasoning could be an argument for starting with Wanyama too!

How about this for an alternative starting line-up?

..................Forster

Clyne....Fonte....Alderweireld...Bertrand

...............Schneiderlin

.......Ward-Prowse.......Davis

Tadic..............................Isgrove

....................Pelle

Subs: Boruc, Gardos, Yoshida, Long, Cork, Mane, Wanyama.

I've assumed Gardos is not yet fully match fit to be given a starting berth and that Mane won't have trained with the squad enough yet. I've also reasoned that Koeman may have taken note that Newcastle are vulnerable and that we seem more coherent without both Wanyama and Schneiderlin in defensive midfield. I have also reasoned that Koeman will have had a bit more time with Isgrove, Fonte and Bertrand who have not been on international duty to plan some tactics which can be implemented on Saturday and that those who haven't been away on international duty may be fresher - hence he may opt to give Isgrove a start.

Of course, I recognise that my own reasoning could be an argument for starting with Wanyama too!

Personally, I like this team. Pace and creativity galore. But I think Wanyama CAN play with Morgan, and would prob have him in for JWP. Isgrove ahead of Long would be brave call, but personally I like it.

Personally, I like this team. Pace and creativity galore. But I think Wanyama CAN play with Morgan, and would prob have him in for JWP. Isgrove ahead of Long would be brave call, but personally I like it.

Isgrove won't be picked ahead of Long, the rest of that line-up is probably right though.

http://www.basingstokegazette.co.uk/sport/football/11462706.First_start_on_hold_for_Saints_new_boy/?ref=rss

A shame that Mané looks like he won't be playing. Was rather looking forward to seeing his pace.

The article suggests he might not start on Saturday due to the amount of travelling he'll do close to the match, it doesn't rule out him being a sub.

An amusing and well-written piece, but I don't really get their dislike of Pardew. Admittedly I only saw the highlights from their last game with Palace, but it looked open and entertaining and not exactly focused on men behind the ball. And fundamentally, has Pardew done that badly considering the money at his disposal - he hasn't really spent much by modern day Premier League standards.

An amusing and well-written piece, but I don't really get their dislike of Pardew. Admittedly I only saw the highlights from their last game with Palace, but it looked open and entertaining and not exactly focused on men behind the ball. And fundamentally, has Pardew done that badly considering the money at his disposal - he hasn't really spent much by modern day Premier League standards.

This article will give you an insight, but basically, he's the front man of the Ashley regime, plays players out of position and has loaned out their most creative player to Hull.

Is the press conference today? If it is I'd like to know why Koeman changed his mind so quickly regarding Gaston, and also how he will keep all of the centre backs happy. Boruc too, what's his situation now?

Think they're normally at about 3pm so updates would be appreciated :)

Aren't they on a Friday when we're at home? MLG?

This article will give you an insight, but basically, he's the front man of the Ashley regime, plays players out of position and has loaned out their most creative player to Hull.

The Ben Arfa call is a strange one from Pardew, but ultimately results versus resources, he's done alright up there in my eyes. Him being sacked doesn't solve the Geordies' problem with Ashley.

Aren't they on a Friday when we're at home? MLG?

Saints' Press Conference is the last of the day and is 3pm according to the BBC website:

Then, the rest of the day looks like this: Newcastle (12:30); Swansea (13:00) Tottenham (13:30); Sunderland (13:30); Aston Villa (14:00); West Brom (14:00); Liverpool (14:00); Leicester (14:30); Southampton (15:00).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/28689628 - right at the bottom of the feed.

Just been on Talksport that Ashely wants to sell Newcastle (again/still)

their north east man said Ashley wants circa £250m. which represents great value

No debts, made a profit last year, very big ground, good squad of players and good training ground for a solid premier league side

makes you wonder why no real money men have stepped in

Just been on Talksport that Ashely wants to sell Newcastle (again/still)

their north east man said Ashley wants circa £250m. which represents great value

No debts, made a profit last year, very big ground, good squad of players and good training ground for a solid premier league side

makes you wonder why no real money men have stepped in

A bargain buy then, Spurs are up for sale as well, a billion £.

http://tickets.saintsfc.co.uk/PagesPublic/ProductBrowse/VisualSeatSelection.aspx?stadium=SM&product=H14NEW&campaign=&type=H&productsubtype=&productIsHomeAsAway=N

Could well be a near sell-out by Saturday only really Itchen corners remaining - Blocks 1 and 3 are certainly not popular this season, sparsely populated against WBA.

It won't be a sell out. There are tickets remaning for sale in every single block of the ground.

Have NEwcastle definitely taken the full allocation?

Ha! I remember that video at the time, what a belter!

Can't you do Saints ones Bearsy? Like even with a stig style identities protector to protects your ID? You could call it Bearsy Investigates like the write up shizzle you used to do but with words and sound! That'd be amazeballs yo!