Newcastle Build Up

Wiggles31

Pardew doesn't seem to be popular with anyone these days, including many Saints supporters. Yet he began the turn around in our fortunes when he was appointed manager by Marcus. And let's not forget that he brought Rickie to St Mary's.

When we are 3-0 up, and he is being booed by Newcastle fans there can only be one response from us:

'THERE'S ONLY ONE ALAN PARDEW'

(In the unlikely event that we are losing, forget it!)

It will be interesting to see who Koeman picks. I'm thinking same side as West Ham game. I can't see him putting two right sided CBs together unless one of them is comfortable playing there. In the end maybe not next week I can see Alderwiereld and Gordas as a pair. Evolution seems to be Koeman's way.

It will be interesting to see who Koeman picks. I'm thinking same side as West Ham game. I can't see him putting two right sided CBs together unless one of them is comfortable playing there. In the end maybe not next week I can see Alderwiereld and Gordas as a pair. Evolution seems to be Koeman's way.

Koeman said Alderwiereld can play as right or left sided centre back.

We can definitely put out a 3-5-2 better defensively than Man Utd can, albeit without the attacking talent they have.

Something like:

Forster

Alderweireld Fonte Gardos/Yoshida

Clyne Morgan Wanyama/Cork Bertrand

Tadic

Long Pelle

although I think Ron will go for a similar line up to the West Ham game.

Pretty sure Derry all our CB's are now right footed. Both Jos and Lovren were lefties I think.

The magpies aren't at all confident...

http://www.nufc-forum.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=54647.0#msg1082422

"Massive game so early in the season and Saints away is a game we never win"

"4-0 Southampton"

"Played off the park"

They've got a point. Newcastle at home is typically a result we can always bank on. Definite bogey trip for them.

After the West ham game I think it might be difficult for RK to drop anyone. Best case scenario would be to get an early lead of 3-0 and introduce some of the new boys in the second half. Last season their wasn't much beyond the starting 11 to pick from but right now I'm not really sure what our best 11 is.

Newcastle are a funny one. Can look excellent one day, and get absolutely bulldozed by a team the next. Pardew is probably on dodgy ground there, to be honest - can't see him lasting the season, let's just hope they don't sack him during the international break. ;)

Pardew is probably on dodgy ground there, to be honest - can't see him lasting the season, let's just hope they don't sack him during the international break. ;)

[h=1]Newcastle United manager Alan Pardew has two games to save his job at St James' Park[/h]

Alan Pardew is fighting for his future as Newcastle United manager, just four games into the new season. The Independent understands there has been a change of mood within the club towards Pardew.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/newcastle-united-manager-alan-pardew-has-two-games-to-save-his-job-at-st-james-park-9707489.html

I agree, it will be interesting to see how the CBs pan out, some are happy playing either side, others are not.

For what it's worth, I'd expect Mane to start in place of Long.

I agree, it will be interesting to see how the CBs pan out, some are happy playing either side, others are not.

For what it's worth, I'd expect Mane to start in place of Long.

Patently Yoshida is comfortable either side, Gardos and Alderwiereld also appear to be able to play either side but Fonte has struggled any time he has been tried on the left.

Just bought tickets for this one. Looking back, probably should have got a season ticket

You may still get a chance to, they suspended sales early as they needed to update their ticket system, did they ever start up again?

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/tickets/season-tickets/ this still shows on the OS

What a waste of space this Saturday is, just because of England.

And just about every other nation.

But will be good to get back to St Mary's.

Bloody hell, they don't like AP very much, do they? I thought I had stumbled on a Charlton forum. Are we the only club that don't despise him? He did well for us, brought in some excellent players, laid the foundation for NA to take us to the PL, and of course that great day at Wembley. I guess NC sacked him at just the right time. :)

The magpies aren't at all confident...

http://www.nufc-forum.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=54647.0#msg1082422

"Massive game so early in the season and Saints away is a game we never win"

"4-0 Southampton"

"Played off the park"

Funny how they've got a suicidal poster with a Dalek as his profile pic predicting doom and gloom and a 6-1 defeat as well...

There'll be tougher opposition than many might be expecting, they've got some decent players and despite what some think, Pardew is no mug. Got a feeling this will be a high scoring draw, 2-2.

Loads of tickets going unsold yet again, real pity to see.

Solid home win, Koeman will be throwing the kitchen sink at this one. I'm not broken hearted about tickets up for grabs, this is the first game of the season I might be able to get to.

WBA all over again? I think the mane difference is we have one or two exciting new players coming in.

Yeah - CaM's bore draw then snatch it analogy was where my mind was drifting until I saw a new CB and what looks like an exciting attacking winger in Mane. So I'm back to square 1 now... haven't got a clue where this is going to end up but slightly reassured we have reinforced!!

Finding it really difficult to call this one.

Kingsbridge might be right, I've got a feeling Newcastle (as with most lower/mid-table teams) will 'park the bus' and be happy to go home with a point. IMO we often struggled to break these teams down at home last season and weren't clinical enough in taking the chances we did create against them. Also, to a degree, such tactics will negate Mane's added pace (I think he might be used as an impact sub for this one) so it will be interesting to see how Koeman handles this situation and what he learned from the dire West Brom game.

I was never confident that Poch really knew what to do in these games last year, preferring to trust his system to eventually come good rather than changing things up when most of us in the stands thought he should. I guess to be fair, his options from the bench were limited and this couldn't have helped but even if this weren't the case I'm sure we would only have seen a change of personnel rather than tactics. Personally, I'd be made up if Koeman is brave enough to have a real go at home this time around ... even if it means dropping the odd point whilst trying to gain two.

Koeman said Alderwiereld can play as right or left sided centre back.

That solves that then, it'll be Fonte and Alderweireld.

Unless Gardos is preferred to Fonte, then Alderweireld can play RCB. But somehow I doubt that will happen.

I also have to stop slating Forren as a bit of a joke now too, having seen him comfortably contain England's best strikers on Friday night.

My updated team is:

Forster; Clyne, Fonte, Alderweireld, Bertrand; Schneiderlin; Tadic, Ward-Prowse, Davis, Long; Pelle

Subs: Boruc, Gardos, Yoshida, Wanyama, Cork, Isgrove, Mane.

Assuming fitness. I'd be inclined to leave Mane on the bench given his trip to Senegal (similar with Yoshida's journey but then I'd drop him anyway). I still keep wanting to add Ramirez - who makes a great impact sub across the attacking midfield, even if he's flattered to deceive. For a side which is meant to have improved its depth, we're struggling to cover attacking midfield positions at the moment.

Edited by The9

Finding it really difficult to call this one.

Kingsbridge might be right, I've got a feeling Newcastle (as with most lower/mid-table teams) will 'park the bus' and be happy to go home with a point. IMO we often struggled to break these teams down at home last season and weren't clinical enough in taking the chances we did create against them. Also, to a degree, such tactics will negate Mane's added pace (I think he might be used as an impact sub for this one) so it will be interesting to see how Koeman handles this situation and what he learned from the dire West Brom game.

I was never confident that Poch really knew what to do in these games last year, preferring to trust his system to eventually come good rather than changing things up when most of us in the stands thought he should. I guess to be fair, his options from the bench were limited and this couldn't have helped but even if this weren't the case I'm sure we would only have seen a change of personnel rather than tactics. Personally, I'd be made up if Koeman is brave enough to have a real go at home this time around ... even if it means dropping the odd point whilst trying to gain two.

Saints under Pochettino beat Newcastle 4-0 at St Mary's last season. We were completely dominant all over the pitch and destroyed them.

My updated team is:

Forster; Clyne, Fonte, Alderweireld, Bertrand; Schneiderlin; Tadic, Ward-Prowse, Davis, Long; Pelle

Assuming fitness. I'd be inclined to leave Mane on the bench given his trip to Senegal (similar with Yoshida's journey but then I'd drop him anyway). I still keep wanting to add Ramirez - who makes a great impact sub across the attacking midfield, even if he's flattered to deceive. For a side which is meant to have improved its depth, we're struggling to cover attacking midfield positions at the moment.

Seems a bit harsh - Rodriguez still to come back remember. Would be nice to have Ramirez available but can't blame the club for getting him off the wage bill. It's not really realistic for a club our size to be able to have about £30m of talent on the bench in those positions (Rod, Ram & Mane). Needs to be a pathway through for academy players too.

Seems a very defensive bench, but then there really isn't much alternative. With JRod yet to come back, Ramirez shipped out, Guly sat on his arse and assuming Gallagher still injured, only Mayuka would really add anything attack wise, and I'm not convinced he will get used much this season, if at all. I think RK has set us up well defensively, but doesn't seem to have addressed the attack in the same way.

Seems a very defensive bench, but then there really isn't much alternative. With JRod yet to come back, Ramirez shipped out, Guly sat on his arse and assuming Gallagher still injured, only Mayuka would really add anything attack wise, and I'm not convinced he will get used much this season, if at all. I think RK has set us up well defensively, but doesn't seem to have addressed the attack in the same way.

Erm, he has left the club?