Villa Build Up Thread

Wiggles31

Have we not even sold out the top tier allocation yet? Of about 1,500? Poor. Very poor.

Be interesting to hear where have you got this info from as it doesn't normally get out these days.

I guess it's also pay-on-the-night so bit of an unknown quantity. I know it was cheaper and not on TV but most probably wouldn't have expected a near two and half thousand to make the long midweek trip to Stoke for a League Cup game.

Other than the big 4 or 5 clubs (or local teams) I don't think many would get close to selling this out on a Monday night live game at £41 a pop...that's before the cost of 300 mile travel. I'd say the only other clubs that would take strong support in the circumstances would be Newcastle, spurs, West Ham, Everton and Leeds.

Our away numbers are OK, sometimes excellent but with long trips coming up at Burnley, a full allocation at Arsenal and good numbers travelling up to Sheffield, this is one expensive trip some will understandably give a swerve.

That's not really about how committed fans of those teams are - just hosw many of them there are. 3 years of champs league in a row and we'll have enough JCLs to make up the numbers. Also, see how long United have that sort of following if their current mediocrity continues.

Probably as least as many as Liverpool still have nationally and world wide despite not winning the league championship in many people's life time?

We're not going to get three years of CL in a row, either.

Be interesting to hear where have you got this info from as it doesn't normally get out these days.

I guess it's also pay-on-the-night so bit of an unknown quantity. I know it was cheaper and not on TV but most probably wouldn't have expected a near two and half thousand to make the long midweek trip to Stoke for a League Cup game.

Other than the big 4 or 5 clubs (or local teams) I don't think many would get close to selling this out on a Monday night live game at £41 a pop...that's before the cost of 300 mile travel. I'd say the only other clubs that would take strong support in the circumstances would be Newcastle, spurs, West Ham, Everton and Leeds.

Our away numbers are OK, sometimes excellent but with long trips coming up at Burnley, a full allocation at Arsenal and good numbers travelling up to Sheffield, this is one expensive trip some will understandably give a swerve.

Very fair. £41 to watch Aston Villa v Southampton is scandalous.

Probably as least as many as Liverpool still have nationally and world wide despite not winning the league championship in many people's life time?

We're not going to get three years of CL in a row, either.

Do you really believe that the reason that Man Utd, Liverpool etc are so strong is because they sell 3000 away tickets and other clubs only sell 2000? The amount of money into their coffers is pathetic. Even home attendance income is getting less important because the TV income is getting so high. If we have sustained success playing the sort of football we're playing now, more people will want to watch us (all over the world, not just live) and we'll get more money. Taking an extra 500 to Villa will have no impact.

"3 years of CL" wasn't a prediction, just a hypothetical.

My Chinese cable package. Costs me the equivalent of £160 a year for TV and broadband internet, plus another £30 for Premier League football in high-definition. They have every game, with all of them stored until the next round of games. Only problem is that the commentary is Chinese, and they sometimes miss the first few minutes of games that don't involve the big teams, but otherwise it's good. When I think about what my brother-in-law pays every month for Sky back home …

Factory jobs don't pay as well though so I hear.

They do when you own the factory. Chinese people are cleaning the world's clocks with their business sense.

On the topic of cost, I've done quite well on this one. I'm travelling from Tyneside which must be a similar distance as Soton to Brum.

Return megabus (down today, back tomorrow) £6.50

Premier Inn £15

Ticket £41

£62.50 plus food/drink.

Granted, it means 2 days off work but I have leave to use. I also justify it as I can't make the Newcastle game in Jan.

On the topic of cost, I've done quite well on this one. I'm travelling from Tyneside which must be a similar distance as Soton to Brum.

Premier Inn £15

Ticket £41

£62.50 plus food/drink.

Granted, it means 2 days off work but I have leave to use. I also justify it as I can't make the Newcastle game in Jan.

£21.50 for return travel and hotel? Wow, makes up for the £10 over the top ticket easily, good work

When was the last time we won on Monday night football, actually when was the last time we won when we was on Sky? Due to the fact we generally lose when we on Sky, Villa have scored one in 7, We have the best defense in the league and Villa are a bit of a bogey team, I think we might come unstuck tonight.

Premier Inn £15

Ticket £41

£62.50 plus food/drink.

Thats's a steal - very impressed. You must be gutted about January though being on your front door

When was the last time we won on Monday night football, actually when was the last time we won when we was on Sky? Due to the fact we generally lose when we on Sky, Villa have scored one in 7, We have the best defense in the league and Villa are a bit of a bogey team, I think we might come unstuck tonight.

That's the spirit!

We're 2nd in the league. We managed to take over 2,000 to Stoke in the cup which most say is less important than the league. I know it wasn't going to be a huge turnout but not even selling out the initial allocation is poor.

It's not for you to comment on this. It's up to everyone to spend their time and money as they see fit.

4/1 for a Villa win,that's got to be the biggest price a home team has ever been against us in the Premier League. Everything points to a Saints win though. Any news on the potential injuries to Schneiderlin and Tadic?

Tadic appears in the photo gallery, Morgan doesn't, then again there aren't that many photos. Doubt Morgan will start tonight, Cork+Wanyama or Wanyama+Reed no doubt.

We don't generally lose when we're on Sky, that's the biggest myth out there.

Off the top of my head we've won against Everton and Fulham last year and Reading me Man City the year before. We also got a 1-1 draw against Arsenal. The home win over Liverpool 2 years ago was also on one of the subscription channels.

Just seen that they have quite a few injury worries

It's their pace on the counter that worries me

I think this is one of the things we have worked on this season. clyne and bertrand have enough pace to cover effectively when our centre backs push forward for set pieces. Much less worried than i was last season.

We did actually beat Villa on a Monday night live on Sky back in 02/03. Happy memories of the old Student Union with that one.

Just seen that they have quite a few injury worries

It's their pace on the counter that worries me

My Villa correspondent informs me their CB partnership will be their 4th & 5th choice CBs, which in Saints terms would mean like, Maya + No-one

Also they're missing Delph + Benteke, which are probably their two MVPs

VILLA 0 - 5 SAINTS

word, if we actually do have a lower win rate on sky, it's cos they mostly only televise us when we're playing Man Utd or whoever.

VILLA 0 - 3 SAINTS

My Villa correspondent informs me their CB partnership will be their 4th & 5th choice CBs, which in Saints terms would mean like, Maya + No-one

Also they're missing Delph + Benteke, which are probably their two MVPs

VILLA 0 - 5 SAINTS

blimey, what happened in the 5 mins to go from 0-3 to 0-5 :)

By the sound of it, the children and I might be the only ones in the away section. It is expensive but not often we get a chance to go. Hope we don't bring bad luck, although the last game the three of us went to was first game of Championship season against Leeds. 3-1 win that day.

Hope your trip is made worthwhile with a resounding win!!

If they are that thread bare then standby for another operation park the bus and smash and grab. Hope the boys are for this could be mentally fatiguing if we don't get one early.

Difficult for a home team to park the bus in front of their own fans - They have to give it a lash!

We must be patient tonight, but I'm confident we will break through in the end.

Despite all the injuries they can still put out a pretty good side, on a par with their standard team last season.

N Zogbia, Agbonlahor and Weimann up top, they'll look to counter with pace. Just have to be patient, don't force it, and hopefully our class will tell come the final whistle. Pelle hasn't scored for a couple of games, so must be a shoe in to score tonight.

Why am I so nervous

Probably because you remember the game from St Mary's last season where, despite fielding a 9-1-0 formation they managed to score three goals.

Still, a few minor differences this time; firstly they haven't got Fabian "I haven't scored in years but will score a goal Ronaldo would be proud of" delph playing. Second, we haven't got Maya "here Mr agbonlahor, let me miss the ball completely and let you have a free run on goal" yoshida playing. And third, we don't have paulo "that cross looks like it's going to the edge of my six yard box, there's no way I'm coming to claim that, far too far, sh1t where did that centre forward come from, oh dear me maybe I should have moved those 3 yards and caught it" gazzaniga playing.

Of course, if the team sheet reveals that I'm wrong about yoshida and gazzaniga, I might change my mind.

Mind you, even then their defend in numbers strategy might still fail given that they have, well, absolutely no defenders. It feels like a strange parallel universe where I can say this, but I'm actually perfectly confident.