Villa Build Up Thread

Wiggles31

Koeman refused to discuss Cork or Clyne contract situations in any detail, although he elaborated more on wanting Clyne to re-sign than he did about Cork.

Did Ron mention Cork? I've listened but didn't hear Jack mentioned at all. He was asked very specifically twice about Clyney and responded about him specifically. Did I miss something?

Solid turnout by the Dubai Saints massive at the golf today.

To our complete amazement we've been asked to show up en masse tomorrow in our shirts for a photobomb with Sky Sports to (depending on TV crew availability) annoy the hell out of you lot by doing a teaser ad for the game on Monday night.

Here's hoping. If nothing else (and flights permitting) AussieSaints are gonna have a VIP day out tomorrow and then all down the Pub for the game.

The Sky crew are convinced that we will go all the way pushing Chelski this season.

I think that means we are doomed and so would put a tenner on Villa beating us 2-0 (IF we could bet)

(Oh and the Getty Images Snapper says that Shane Longs' goal against Leicester was the best TEAM goal he's seen this season)

For more annoying Saints related Golf news visit Dubai Saints on Facebook :)

Solid turnout by the Dubai Saints massive at the golf today.

To our complete amazement we've been asked to show up en masse tomorrow in our shirts for a photobomb with Sky Sports to (depending on TV crew availability) annoy the hell out of you lot by doing a teaser ad for the game on Monday night.

Here's hoping. If nothing else (and flights permitting) AussieSaints are gonna have a VIP day out tomorrow and then all down the Pub for the game.

The Sky crew are convinced that we will go all the way pushing Chelski this season.

I think that means we are doomed and so would put a tenner on Villa beating us 2-0 (IF we could bet)

(Oh and the Getty Images Snapper says that Shane Longs' goal against Leicester was the best TEAM goal he's seen this season)

For more annoying Saints related Golf news visit Dubai Saints on Facebook :)

Better than the 40+ passing move leading up to Morgan's against Newcastle?

From that press conference, I reckon we'll line up as follows:

Forster

Clyne Fonte Alderweireld Bertrand

Cork Wanyama Schneiderlin

Mane Pelle Tadic

Subs: Davis, Gardos, Yoshida, Reed, Long, Mayuka, McQueen

Feels light in midfield with Davis unlikely to play, JWP already out, and Schneiderlin a slight doubt. I suppose Alderweireld can step up in there if required. The sooner we get JWP back, the better.

But Cork is a better player so why the wishful thinking?

Better than the 40+ passing move leading up to Morgan's against Newcastle?

"seen live" DM

It was his first Saints game this season (David Cannon - one of the legendary global sports snappers) and yes he thinks we'll go all the way this year to the CL and do well when we get there. (Worringly a lot of the press share that feeling, it's been a tough week dealing with stupidly big crowds down here AND stupidly big expectations.)

Clearly he 1) isn't a Saints fan (he's from oop north way and 2) doesn't understand why "we" all think we won't.

HTH

I think he is rated.. but maybe he's seen as blocking Ward-Prowse and/or Reed so he will be sold on that basis. he's better than both as the moment so I would hope his contract is extended.

Surely he would only be blocking those players if he was a better player if Jack wasn't considered better he wouldn't be blocking them because they'd be in the team instead of him. Unless the club is so desperate to include academy players they will ship out better players to accommodate youth players which would be an odd thing to do.

"seen live" DM

It was his first Saints game this season (David Cannon - one of the legendary global sports snappers) and yes he thinks we'll go all the way this year to the CL and do well when we get there. (Worringly a lot of the press share that feeling, it's been a tough week dealing with stupidly big crowds down here AND stupidly big expectations.)

Clearly he 1) isn't a Saints fan (he's from oop north way and 2) doesn't understand why "we" all think we won't.

HTH

I like hearing these stories DP - keep em coming...

Surely he would only be blocking those players if he was a better player if Jack wasn't considered better he wouldn't be blocking them because they'd be in the team instead of him. Unless the club is so desperate to include academy players they will ship out better players to accommodate youth players which would be an odd thing to do.

We have to provide a pathway got young players. That is what we are about now. That allows us to get the best young'uns and sell them for 20-30m each that in turn, gives us an edge over the "rest" outside the top 6 or so

We have to provide a pathway got young players. That is what we are about now. That allows us to get the best young'uns and sell them for 20-30m each that in turn, gives us an edge over the "rest" outside the top 6 or so

Next summer Morgan and Victor will be off to bigger clubs and there will a nice big motorway into the first team for our academy boys. That's when we will need Jack Cork (IMO) to provide some experience in a midfield......unless we just let him go for nothing.

Edited by doddisalegend

Next summer Morgan and Victor will be off to bigger clubs and there will a nice big motorway into the first team for our academy boys. That's when we will need Jack Cork (IMO) to provide some experience in a midfield......unless we just let him go for nothing.

If they leave it will be for not much less than £50m for the pair. No reason we can't replace them with players of similar ability like we did in summer.

Having said that, I'd agree we should keep Cork.

I'm a big fan of Cork I think he's a really understated footballer which is important for balance in the team however you have to look at things pragmatically - Ward-Prowse (England U21 Captain) was promised significant minutes in the first team this season and he is already competing with Schneiderlin, Wanyama, and Davis for one of three positions. Then you get to Cork. So at what price do Saints value what is potentially the fifth choice central midfielder for three positions?

If Schneiderlin or Wanyama leave then it changes but right now for a club our size should we be spending 30-40k a week for that sort of depth? Or instead think that Harrison Reed (England U20 player) is a player more suited to that role? Would Cork be happy to sign a new deal and then see no playing time?

We know it is a squad game and Cork has had many minutes this season however were it not for a bad injury to Ward-Prowse would he be near the team? Just a few things to consider.

I'm a big fan of Cork I think he's a really understated footballer which is important for balance in the team however you have to look at things pragmatically - Ward-Prowse (England U21 Captain) was promised significant minutes in the first team this season and he is already competing with Schneiderlin, Wanyama, and Davis for one of three positions. Then you get to Cork. So at what price do Saints value what is potentially the fifth choice central midfielder for three positions?

If Schneiderlin or Wanyama leave then it changes but right now for a club our size should we be spending 30-40k a week for that sort of depth? Or instead think that Harrison Reed (England U20 player) is a player more suited to that role? Would Cork be happy to sign a new deal and then see no playing time?

We know it is a squad game and Cork has had many minutes this season however were it not for a bad injury to Ward-Prowse would he be near the team? Just a few things to consider.

TBH I'm not even convinced Victor deserves a spot ahead of Cork and JWP certainly doesn't he really isn't close to Jack Cork right now IMO

I keep reading the Davis is an underrated player but can't help feeling Cork is one of the most over-rated on here.

Don't get me wrong I think he is pretty good has had a few very good games but so clearly below Schneiderlin, Davis, Wanyama and JWP in ability.

Also appears the manager agrees.

Reid seems quicker and sharper, if he gets closer to the first team will there be a role for Cork?

It's on at 5am here, I'm waking up for it! :-)

I think I could do 5am. It's closer to morning. I'd get up early, then head off to work at final whistle. 4am still feels like the middle of the night though. No matter, the game will be stored for a week, so I'll just watch it Tuesday. I watched the Sunderland game about 3 times thanks to the wonders of cable. :)

On holiday in New Zealand. Game will be 9am Tuesday here. Big challenge will be finding a TV showing it, and then convincing my honeymooning bride to let me watch it ��

On holiday in Australia, game will be at 7am Tuesday here. big challenge was finding out its on foxtel here. i have however comvinced my honeymoon bride to let me watch it lol

On holiday in Australia, game will be at 7am Tuesday here. big challenge was finding out its on foxtel here. i have however comvinced my honeymoon bride to let me watch it lol

Good work! On my honeymoon I dragged the new wife out into the streets of Hong Kong at 3 in the morning to watch England fail at the World Cup. Set the tone;)

Don't get me wrong I think he is pretty good has had a few very good games but so clearly below Schneiderlin, Davis, Wanyama and JWP in ability.

What? What on Earth has JWP done to for you to say he is better than Cork? Maybe in a few years but but I've seen little from JWP other than a few decent set pieces so far. Morgan and Wanyama clearly stand out but Cork is an excellent player. Would get into most midfields in the PL apart from the very top teams imo.

JWP is fantastic when he's not playing, and the answer to all our problems. Strange that. Rodriguez is similar.

Anyway, hopefully we can see Reed in the team, I've heard so many good things about him but never seen him for more than 10 minutes or so. And it's a Monday evening, which means I can actually watch the game!

JWP is fantastic when he's not playing, and the answer to all our problems. Strange that. Rodriguez is similar.

Anyway, hopefully we can see Reed in the team, I've heard so many good things about him but never seen him for more than 10 minutes or so. And it's a Monday evening, which means I can actually watch the game!

We have problems?

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/15205/9571548/paul-mersons-premier-league-predictions-round-12

Merson:

'Southampton are absolutely flying at the moment. I mean they went to Hull in their last away game and absolutely dominated the game and not many teams, I do not care who you are, go to Hull and do that to them.

Meanwhile Villa were awful against QPR, but were unlucky against Spurs, although they have no Christian Benteke for this game and the way Southampton are playing at the moment, I cannot see anything other than a Southampton win.

So I am going to go 2-1 to Southampton, and I am being kind to Villa, but I just do not see how they can possibly get a result there. It is a nightmare as people will be saying: “We should be up where Southampton are”, and they are right as Villa are a much bigger team than them, it is just that I do not know what has happened.'

Cheers Merson- least he predicted us a win!

TBH I'm not even convinced Victor deserves a spot ahead of Cork and JWP certainly doesn't he really isn't close to Jack Cork right now IMO

Ill be honest, Wanyama is a lot better than cork in the position that he plays and IMHO JWP isnt a long way off being atleast at the same level as Cork but offers more going forward.

Corks ok, he won't let you down, he is consistant. But he just isnt exceptional anywhere unfortunately.

I think I could do 5am. It's closer to morning. I'd get up early, then head off to work at final whistle. 4am still feels like the middle of the night though. No matter, the game will be stored for a week, so I'll just watch it Tuesday. I watched the Sunderland game about 3 times thanks to the wonders of cable. :)

Where? Footballorgin?

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/15205/9571548/paul-mersons-premier-league-predictions-round-12

Merson:

'Southampton are absolutely flying at the moment. I mean they went to Hull in their last away game and absolutely dominated the game and not many teams, I do not care who you are, go to Hull and do that to them.

Meanwhile Villa were awful against QPR, but were unlucky against Spurs, although they have no Christian Benteke for this game and the way Southampton are playing at the moment, I cannot see anything other than a Southampton win.

So I am going to go 2-1 to Southampton, and I am being kind to Villa, but I just do not see how they can possibly get a result there. It is a nightmare as people will be saying: “We should be up where Southampton are”, and they are right as Villa are a much bigger team than them, it is just that I do not know what has happened.'

Cheers Merson- least he predicted us a win!

Easy really, when we dominate games we manage to score, other teams aren't doing just that. I mean look at the Arse today, total domination still lost, bit like us on occasions last qeason really. This time out we usually find a goal from somewhere and football is about scoring goals.

No doubt the international break can disturb the fluency ....especially if you're on a good run, but it seems that sometimes people use phrases like " must win " far too often, and in the wrong context.

Clearly, this sort of game is a " should win ", as if we have pretentions to finishing " Top Four".......it's the sort of game " we shouldn't lose ".

Performances and form show that fairly clearly...... whereas games v. Citeh, MU and Chelsea are clearer indications as to our real potential as a prospective " top side ".

Damn...this game is so winnable at the moment it's making me doubly nervous. Anyone worked out when the nerves ease up and we can go into a game feeling bulletproof?? :lol:

Don't get me wrong...I'll be fine if we set up our game right in the first 5 minutes (I have 4-5 minutes on the MLT print lottery) but this waiting for Monday night is wearing even "optimistic me" down.

Merson:

'Southampton are absolutely flying at the moment......, it is just that I do not know what has happened.

That's your football expert for you. I asked 'Bloke in the Pub' why Southampton are doing well and he said:- team packed with full international players; virtually same team every week; a top coach with experience at the highest level; a system of playing that all the players understand. Maybe Sky should employ Bloke in the Pub because he seems to know as much, if not more, about football than Merson and I suspect he would be cheaper.