• Wanyama
    • Davis, S
    • Tadic
    • Mane
    • Pelle
    • Ward-Prowse
    • Gardos
    • Long

All this carping on about the penalty, real time Fabregas made a meal of it, ref saw it real time, no flag from Lino real time, no 27 different angles on Sky for the ref to look at, he over egged it ref saw it as as acting booked him for what he saw real time, ref saw what I saw from behind the goal.

Bale got booked on reputation, Shane Long got chuff all from Jon Moss 3 times (even with the Lino telling him it was a foul) all on reputation.

still good disciplined performance from the whole team, 3 shots on goal just one on target from Chelsea that is impressive.

Watching MOTD

Seeing hull batter Leicester but not score is like our game away to Leeds the other year

Haha, what a ****ing stressful game that was.

Great scenes at the final whistle, the Sky microphones picking up Warnock's words to Adkins as they shook hands, "how the **** have you got away with that?" and all our players running to celebrate with Davis.

Agreed. But instead of criticizing the ref directly - and on his own behalf - he took the weasel's route and claimed there is a "campaign" against Chelsea. It really is disgraceful behaviour coming from a manager. You can see his influence on his team. They are constantly trying to con and pressure the ref.

All he is doing is taking the focus away from his side having 1 shot on target and possibly with that, a wrong team selection by him.

No one will talk about that now and instead, talk about this "campaign"

He usually comes across as magnanimous before a game, but if he doesn't win ... well, watch out!

But it will work. No one tomorrow will really question his team (Or him)

They had 1 shot on target against a weakened defence with a kid playing and for 10+ mins, 10 men (and still did not get one on target)

That is not good enough for their aspirations

But that won't be the talking points tomorrow.

You're right, some refs might have given it but I still think Fàbregas pretended to be tripped rather than being accidentally tripped.

I strongly suspect the yellow card was for his over-reaction, dissent in other words.

I agree with this.

Sadly , way too many penalties are milked the same way.

I actually thought the ref had a reasonable game as well.

still very proud of the boys, made of alot sterner stuff than what we used to see...

Targett looks a very good left back too..... maybe not the same flair as S*aw but the boy will have a very long and useful career me thinks

agree with the comment earlier about Tadic , seems to disappear when going gets tough although he did play ball for Mane's goal

Tadic is still getting back to full match fitness after injury. People forget (or don't realise) this when players get injured, and expect them to be 100% immediately that they first play again - they are not. He's getting there, and hopefully we'll see more from him versus Arsenal.

The pundits on MotD made the situation worse over the Fabregas dive by stating categorically that it should have been a penalty and that it wasn't a dive. Seems they don't know the Laws of the game which require a trip to careless, reckless or due to excessive force in order for the referee to give a free kick. Since Targett slipped when defending against Fabregas, it clearly was none of the these and yet the BBC's pundits act as if their judgement overrules the referee without any reference to the Laws of the game. Fabregas did what so many players do when in the opponent's penalty area, which was to make contact with an outstretched leg and threw himself to the ground to make the trip look deliberate.

It was good to see Mourinho, whose team could only manage one shot on goal all game, complaining that cheating by one of his players hadn't been rewarded but had been penalised instead. Mouinho's approach which is win at all costs regardless of the rules and to undermine referees by trying to get favourable decisions, simply stinks. Very much hope he is punished for his post-match comments and that the BBC apologise for their part in damaging confidence in a referee who has correctly applied the laws of the game.

I can't see how people can argue that it was not a penalty.Targett slipped ,lost control and slipped into Fabregas. It brought him down and so I think the rules would say it was a penalty. Is there a rule that would exclude a slip making it not a foul?

Fabregas's foot kicked Targett's leg; free kick to Saints ... but the ref missed it.

The pundits on MotD made the situation worse over the Fabregas dive by stating categorically that it should have been a penalty and that it wasn't a dive. Seems they don't know the Laws of the game which require a trip to careless, reckless or due to excessive force in order for the referee to give a free kick. Since Targett slipped when defending against Fabregas, it clearly was none of the these and yet the BBC's pundits act as if their judgement overrules the referee without any reference to the Laws of the game. Fabregas did what so many players do when in the opponent's penalty area, which was to make contact with an outstretched leg and threw himself to the ground to make the trip look deliberate.

It was good to see Mourinho, whose team could only manage one shot on goal all game, complaining that cheating by one of his players hadn't been rewarded but had been penalised instead. Mouinho's approach which is win at all costs regardless of the rules and to undermine referees by trying to get favourable decisions, simply stinks. Very much hope he is punished for his post-match comments and that the BBC apologise for their part in damaging confidence in a referee who has correctly applied the laws of the game.

I just read the laws and you are right. That being said, the very next page says that it is an indirect free kick whenever the goalie controls the ball with his hands for more than six seconds. I would like to see that one strictly enforced.

Nobody has written about the incorrect offside that would have given Shane Long a one on one with 10 minutes to go.

Ref was biased all day to Chelsea.

Lines man that end managed to his one job of calling offsides wrong all game, first half he seemed to imagine it just didn't apply to costa at all until the half hour mark and then suddenly almost everyone was offside regardless of position...

Still don't see why the lines man is on that side when the sun is so low, would make much more sense to switch them over now and again

Lines man that end managed to his one job of calling offsides wrong all game, first half he seemed to imagine it just didn't apply to costa at all until the half hour mark and then suddenly almost everyone was offside regardless of position...

Still don't see why the lines man is on that side when the sun is so low, would make much more sense to switch them over now and again

If you switched them they would run all the way up the side of the field and end up in the same place.

No penalty was given because there was no direct threat on goal. It was bit of a ball-possession tussle on the edge of the box, both players slipped and there was a tangle of legs. It was all completely accidental. Harsh to book the Chelsea bloke but then again two officials were watching the incident. Take no notice of Mourinho's usual inane ravings, if the only way to win is to cry wolf 'cos your team can't score in open play then that team will never deserve to be worthy champions. I am fed up with effing big club whingers. The sooner Mourinho and his ilk b.ugger off to some foreign league the better for the PL. Give me 1 Ronald Koeman's any day for 100 of these sulky miserable bastartds.

On a side note, was having a beer and meal in Ocean Village after the match and was joined (kind of) by no less than 3 Saints: Toby plus mates, Maya plus mates and Matt Targett plus female. All three calm, friendly and happy for a quick chat although most fans left them in peace. All a credit to the club. Cheers

I should have added that all three were drinking water, although some of the mates were on the beers, good lads. If Toby was trying to stay low profile, he was not helped by one of his group, a large guy, wearing a t shirt with "TEAM TOBY" emblazoned on it :)

If you switched them they would run all the way up the side of the field and end up in the same place.

Not so Redslo. Most referees and assistants run what is called 'rights'. With each assistant running from the halfway line to the goal line and the referee running diagonally from one corner to the opposite so as to cover the quarters with no assistant. The senior assistant handles the side with the managers and benches. Very occasionally they will switch to the mirror of this, either to try to keep themselves mentally fresh or more usually because if physical reasons such as a muddy touch-line or, as yesterday, sun in the eyes.

Great point and will be a confidence booster for sure. The penalty claim was another example of Chelsea milking a situation to try to win a penalty. Not as blatant a dive as others I have seen, but everyone knows if you go to ground quickly and in a certain way some referees are easily conned. It's even more effective if you pretend to be injured and wave your arm quickly for your physio to come on. Chelsea are grand masters at this sort of play acting.

No penalty was given because there was no direct threat on goal. It was bit of a ball-possession tussle on the edge of the box, both players slipped and there was a tangle of legs. It was all completely accidental. Harsh to book the Chelsea bloke but then again two officials were watching the incident. Take no notice of Mourinho's usual inane ravings, if the only way to win is to cry wolf 'cos your team can't score in open play then that team will never deserve to be worthy champions. I am fed up with effing big club whingers. The sooner Mourinho and his ilk b.ugger off to some foreign league the better for the PL. Give me 1 Ronald Koeman's any day for 100 of these sulky miserable bastartds.

Since when are penalties only given when there's a direct threat on goal? Why is so much crud being made up on here?

It was a penalty, however unfortunate it was, but it was a penalty. It wasn't a dive and he didn't pre-empt it. We got lucky, but I'm not complaining.

Since when are penalties only given when there's a direct threat on goal? Why is so much crud being made up on here?

It was a penalty, however unfortunate it was, but it was a penalty. It wasn't a dive and he didn't pre-empt it. We got lucky, but I'm not complaining.

I have to agree with that.

hard for the refs with ones like that. but looking at it on a replay, targets leg moves a bit and fabregas goes for it and goes over.

we (as fans) would be seething had pelle not got that one at the other end.

fabragas went flying over though, which obviously done him no favours and his side have been shown up for diving recently. which probably went against him

It was not a penalty, He did dive, He was falling before the contact with the defender,watch the highlights in slow motion, the fact his leg then caught the players leg whilst in mid dive does not mean it's a penalty.

Dirty cheating Leeds or now Dirty cheating Chelsea they will still win the league.

I have to agree with that.

hard for the refs with ones like that. but looking at it on a replay, targets leg moves a bit and fabregas goes for it and goes over.

we (as fans) would be seething had pelle not got that one at the other end.

fabragas went flying over though, which obviously done him no favours and his side have been shown up for diving recently. which probably went against him

It was obviously a big decision that went our way, but I thought Chelsea got most of the 50/50 calls from the officials all game, and we seemed to pick up bookings easier than they did.

It was obviously a big decision that went our way, but I thought Chelsea got most of the 50/50 calls from the officials all game, and we seemed to pick up bookings easier than they did.

agree with that. every niggle seem to go their way. Much like the everton game (which was an horrendous demonstration of offciating)

Not so Redslo. Most referees and assistants run what is called 'rights'. With each assistant running from the halfway line to the goal line and the referee running diagonally from one corner to the opposite so as to cover the quarters with no assistant. The senior assistant handles the side with the managers and benches. Very occasionally they will switch to the mirror of this, either to try to keep themselves mentally fresh or more usually because if physical reasons such as a muddy touch-line or, as yesterday, sun in the eyes.

The Diagonal system of control, invented by no less a person than ex-Saints chairman George Reader, a distinguished referee who presided over the 1950 World Cup final between Brazil and Uruguay.

Basically, the linesmen (or referee's assistants, if you prefer) watch the lines at opposite corners (usually the respective left-back berths, although there is nothing specified in the rules and some referees prefer them to do the right-backs) while the referee patrols the other diagonal.

This should ensure the whole field of play is covered in terms of the important areas - the last defenders for offsides, the touchlines for throw-ins, bye-lines for corners by linesmen, with the referee covering the central area of the field.

It really is beautiful in its simplicity and yet another Southampton contribution to world football.

I should have added that all three were drinking water, although some of the mates were on the beers, good lads. If Toby was trying to stay low profile, he was not helped by one of his group, a large guy, wearing a t shirt with "TEAM TOBY" emblazoned on it :)

Did you say hello to them, Bucks? Or were you too polite?

Did you say hello to them, Bucks? Or were you too polite?

Said a quick word to Toby (was very close to me) - just well played, great season, enjoy your evening! He was very decent and said thanks etc. Maya I left alone, likewise Matt, who looked like any other 19 year old out with a (presume) girlfriend!

Said a quick word to Toby (was very close to me) - just well played, great season, enjoy your evening! He was very decent and said thanks etc. Maya I left alone, likewise Matt, who looked like any other 19 year old out with a (presume) girlfriend!

WGS has said many times in the media that one of the things he loved when here was that he could go out for a nice evening and it would be very civil when out with his family/wife etc. that the locals are very respectful and allow him and his players/staff to enjoy an evening out

obviously, claus, MLT shyt faced in Jumpin Jacks is a different story :lol:

Tadic is still getting back to full match fitness after injury. People forget (or don't realise) this when players get injured, and expect them to be 100% immediately that they first play again - they are not. He's getting there, and hopefully we'll see more from him versus Arsenal.

Couldn't disagree more.... He has been rank poor for weeks....

His crossing is terrible and he hides during games. Passes are routinely going astray - contributes very little - our poorest player against Chelsea....

Amongst a host of players who played well...

Needs to up his game big style or go back on the bench...

another difficult one for the ref's was the song goal that was (rightly) disallowed.

I think that if players in an offside position are having to jumped out of the way of the ball are interfering with play.......

Similarly, Schurrle was way offside for Hazard's goal and although he didn't have to jump out of the way, he was inside the 6 yard box and therefore he was definitely interfering with play.

My take on the pen debate is this... it was simulation and the ref got it spot on. Watch Targett....he plants his foot on the ground and doesn't move it before the cheating Chelski player puts his leg to Targetts and goes over. They must coach this type of play at Chelski because it happened on more than one occasion during the match.

One only has to watch how unstable Fabregas was on his feet shortly after the incident when he ended up sliding over the line in the penalty box. It also justifies how Targett lost his balance and the two went over. The decision of not awarding a penalty evened up previous pro Chelsea decisions.

The one decision where there was no doubt was Schneiderlin's clear and deliberate foul to get his 2nd yellow and sending off. It was unnecessary as other Saints players were further upfield to deal with Fabregas. Watch the Match highlights at 88 minutes onwards if you're in any doubt.

One only has to watch how unstable Fabregas was on his feet shortly after the incident when he ended up sliding over the line in the penalty box. It also justifies how Targett lost his balance and the two went over. The decision of not awarding a penalty evened up previous pro Chelsea decisions.

The one decision where there was no doubt was Schneiderlin's clear and deliberate foul to get his 2nd yellow and sending off. It was unnecessary as other Saints players were further upfield to deal with Fabregas. Watch the Match highlights at 88 minutes onwards if you're in any doubt.

What do you have against Morgan? I remember when you posted a pick of him displaying 2 fingers in recognition of reaching 2nd place, but then with you trying to intimate him making and obscene gesture.

oh and his first yellow was never a yellow.

You are a grade one weirdo pal. Bat ****e weirdo.

What do you have against Morgan? I remember when you posted a pick of him displaying 2 fingers in recognition of reaching 2nd place, but then with you trying to intimate him making and obscene gesture.

His first wasn't even a foul.

Obviously, I'm not privy to what Long's instructions were when he came on but it's interesting that he didn't really chase and pressurise, which is unusual for him.

There were a couple of instances where I thought he could've chased after a ball here and apply pressure there but he didn't. I guess he was told to stay goal side and provide cover.

Whatever though, fantastic result.

I think ART is convinced that Morgan swings the lead or gets suspended to avoid playing against Arsenal. It's just not true, he will never sign for them so why would he do that? Arsenal are always looking at everybody but are stingy and will never pay the asking price. They caught a grade A cold with Ozil and won't spend big again for a fair while.

Edited by Window Cleaner

I think ART is convinced that Morgan swings the lead or gets suspended to avoid playing against Arsenal. It's just not true, he will never sign for them so why would he do that? Arsenal are always looking at everybody but are stingy and will never pay the asking price. They caught a grade A cold with Ozil and won't spend big again for a fair while.

Since they signed Ozil, they spent £35m on Sanchez.

Good stuff, no finger nails left at the end though!

Love seeing Mane playing in more of a striking role in the centre, he's clearly more at home up front and enjoys it more. Elia on the wing will give us better options for Mane.

Once again my MOTM, Mane. He will carve Arsenals shaking Defence up into pieces.