Unfunny comedians

sadoldgit

• 2 months later...

Went to see Stewart Lee last night. I haven't laughed so hard and often at a comedy show in my life.

He's doing a sort of work in progress tour to perfect the next series of his show which will be on at the end of the year. If last night was anything to go by it will be well worth a watch.

I went to see Sean Lock over here a few weeks back. He's generally one of my favourite comedians, but it was awful. He used material I've heard him do years ago, nothing new at all and it all sounded very tired. I don't know why he made such little effort, it was obvious that most of the crowd would be there because they'd heard his stuff before, so I think everybody was familiar with most of the routine.

Oddly he had Johnny Vaughan as his support. I'm not a big fan of his, but on the night he was so much fresher and more energetic that he went down far better than Sean Lock (yes, really). He was clearly pretty inexperienced and used sort of basic, obvious material, but he was funny.

I can't imagine he'd ever get fair treatment from a British crowd though, just too much history of being annoying on TV and radio, shame, because he does have some potential as a stand up.

Went to see Stewart Lee last night. I haven't laughed so hard and often at a comedy show in my life.

He's doing a sort of work in progress tour to perfect the next series of his show which will be on at the end of the year. If last night was anything to go by it will be well worth a watch.

Going to see him in June - got to squeeze Tim Vine in first :)

Great to hear! He's far and away my favourite comedian - the "haven't laughed so hard and often" especially resonates. Seen him on every tour since he returned to stand-up; the next time will be THIS next January. It'll be the end of that current tour, but all 3 hours/6 'episodes' of the refined material. Pretty damn excited!

I was too young to remember his work with Richard Herring on Fist of Fun, but got the Series 1 and 2 DVD for Christmas and it's held up remarkably well given it was first shown in 1995. In fact I reckon some of it's probably even funnier than it was at the time, given what's happened in the world and with them both since.

Most of the stuff I can't stand has already been noted so I guess there's not much value in regurgitating the list.

I'd argue that there are still worthy British sitcoms but they tend not to find the mainstream. That said, most of the sitcoms/comedy shows I've watched lately have been American: Modern Family; Archer; Arrested Development; Brooklyn Nine-Nine; Community...

Great to hear! He's far and away my favourite comedian - the "haven't laughed so hard and often" especially resonates. Seen him on every tour since he returned to stand-up; the next time will be THIS next January. It'll be the end of that current tour, but all 3 hours/6 'episodes' of the refined material. Pretty damn excited!

I was too young to remember his work with Richard Herring on Fist of Fun, but got the Series 1 and 2 DVD for Christmas and it's held up remarkably well given it was first shown in 1995. In fact I reckon some of it's probably even funnier than it was at the time, given what's happened in the world and with them both since.

Wow, that's some gig. He did 3 of the 6 half hour shows on Friday plus an encore that wasn't an encore which we didn't have to have if we didn't want it.

Subjects covered were Islamiphobia, Urine and Nationalism. There were some truly confused audience members who had obviously heard of him from TV and gone along with friends only to spend their evening wondering where the jokes were!

Hey Stu, is this section of the half hour just you making weird noises? Yes.

Can I just say how delighted I am that James Corden is such a hit in America?

It means they can f*cking keep him, the fat, talentless w*nker. The bloke makes me feel sick.

+1, although it's a bit soul-destroying for me because I used to really love TLLS when Craig Ferguson hosted it. Hope we see him back on TV soon in some capacity, he's brilliant.

I am a huge Stewart Lee fan as well, really looking forward to seeing him come up to Edinburgh for the Fringe this summer. Looks like he's going to be here throughout most of August so may catch him a couple of times!

It means they can f*cking keep him, the fat, talentless w*nker. The bloke makes me feel sick.

I love to see a Brit doing well in the States. It's bloody hard to achieve, and is the opposite of talentless, even though his style may not be your kind of thing.

Just watching 8 out of 10 Cats Does Countdown. I think the combination of Jimmy Carr, Sean Lock and John Richardson works pretty well on a panel show. Reminds me of when Mark Lamarr used to host Buzzcocks with Bill Bailey and Phil Jupitus. Some comedians who I might not find funny individually work pretty well on panel shows.

The fact people think he's got an iota of talent deeply disturbs me.

Talent, comes in all shapes and forms. He's not particularly my kind of comedian, but any Brit having a go at making it in the States, has got a lot of respect from me. I wish him well.

Sorry. Though I do think you need to set the bar a little higher for being disturbed.

I can't watch A League of Their Own without thinking it's just a sh*t version of They Think It's All Over.

Listening to a lot of Tim Minchen at the moment - some amazing and original work in there. Not to everyones tastes I know but I like it a lot and he has some serious musical talent.

Bought tickets to see Milton Jones at our local theatre , not sure how well his one liers will tranlate into an hour and a half but its only a mile away so seems daft not to go. We geta lot of comedians come to our pokey little town , go to as many as I can and there are usually a few nuggets to take awy from each, some more than others of course. Best i've seen there were Sean Locke and Dara. Most impressive bit about Daras stuff wasn't the 'go to stories' but the large chunks of banter back and forth with the front row. Brave comedy and a brilliant mind.

I love to see a Brit doing well in the States. It's bloody hard to achieve, and is the opposite of talentless, even though his style may not be your kind of thing.

I agree Lou, Piers Morgan and Simon Cowell are brilliant.

The fact people think he's got an iota of talent deeply disturbs me.

Let's compare his co-written award winning comedy series with yours. If yours is better it will be good. He is not my favourite by a long way but does a decent job.

I think some of the stuff he has done on A League of Their Own and the couple of bits he has done for Children in Need were pretty funny. I like the fact that he is quite self depricating and able to poke fun at anyone/ everyone - it's quite refreshing. OK, he can come across as a bit smug, but that doesn't put me off him... The fact that he can sing (reasonably), act, produce, write and present material displays that he has some talent............ IMO

I know a cameraman who has done a lot of work on itv. He says that of all the people he has worked with, James Cordon treated people the worst. Things like getting producers up against the wall, shouting inches from people's faces and saying things to the effect of "do you know who I am?" Sort of colours my view of him.

I heard the opposite - friends on the same plane to the states said he could not have been nicer to the air hostess's and signed autographs for all comers.

Good luck to him. I like Brits doing well in the States.

Comedians are like anything, they get too big and mainstream it makes them unfashionable.

I know a cameraman who has done a lot of work on itv. He says that of all the people he has worked with, James Cordon treated people the worst. Things like getting producers up against the wall, shouting inches from people's faces and saying things to the effect of "do you know who I am?" Sort of colours my view of him.

Having met him a couple of times my experience was the complete opposite. A nicer bloke you couldn't wish to meet

The cameraman that I know alleges that the deeply unpleasant prima-donna characteristics you describe are very common amongst successful entertainers; indeed, sadly, he maintains that those capable of displaying any form of humility, empathy or kindness towards others (outside of the public gaze) are very much in the minority.

If true, it's quite interesting to speculate whether successful entertainers are genetically predisposed to be this way, or whether they become this way as a result of all those pundits blowing smoke up their backsides.

Or maybe cameramen have just got it in for successful entertainers. :)

Edited by Halo Stickman

Comedy like Music is such a subjective thing that of course everyone is going to have their favourites etc.

I have seen Jimmy Carr, Chris Addison, Russell Howard and they were all excellent. I was disappointed by Frankie Boyle, most of the material was stuff he had done on Mock the Week and I felt that he was almost holding back. I do enjoy watching the edgier comedy, stuff that is closer to the line but there is always a place for the 'middle of the road' stuff too.

Peter Kay isn't quite as good as he was 10 or so years ago, I actually think he is better as a writer - Phoenix Nights and That Peter Kay Thing were works of genius. John Oliver also someone who I think is really good in both the stand up and TV world.

Saying that Miranda is pretty awful, as is Mrs Brown (although I have found myself laughing out loud at the latter on occasion, I felt dirty afterwards).

I haven't met him, but I know people who live in the same village as Mr Tumble and apparently he's a right ****.

He counts as a comedian right? He makes small children laugh at the least.

If you watch Mr Tumble as much as I have to these days I think you'd see that he's a very very talented actor who has a real handle on what makes small children adore him. My youngest grandchildren really do love him and he's done so much to promote Makaton sign language.

No ****ing way? Met him and Jimmy Carr a number of times and both are very nice people.

Afraid it happened. He also said he has a bit of a reputation in the industry. We went even talking about him at the time, more about celebrities in general.

Disappointing, although doubt he'd be like that in the places I've met him.

I tell you who is an utter knob everytime I've seen him. Jamie Oliver. Arrogant tosser.

If you watch Mr Tumble as much as I have to these days I think you'd see that he's a very very talented actor who has a real handle on what makes small children adore him. My youngest grandchildren really do love him and he's done so much to promote Makaton sign language.

I've seen plenty of Mr Tumble in my time. In fact I was fortunate enough to see him perform live at a festival where a disconcertingly large amount of adults were going as crazy as the kids. I'm also aware of his work with Makaton. None of this however detracts from the possibility that he's a **** in real life!

Mister Maker, on the other hand, is apparently the nicest bloke you could ever wish to meet.

I've seen plenty of Mr Tumble in my time. In fact I was fortunate enough to see him perform live at a festival where a disconcertingly large amount of adults were going as crazy as the kids. I'm also aware of his work with Makaton. None of this however detracts from the possibility that he's a **** in real life!

Mister Maker, on the other hand, is apparently the nicest bloke you could ever wish to meet.

He is a dead ringer for my son-in-law - FACT! So much so that his own sons were convinced Dad was on TV when they were little!

Started reading comments from the start but soon came to the conclusion we all like different things in comedy.

I would say McIntyre rules the world and bottom of the bin is Frankie Boyle. You can rank all others somewhere between those two extremes.

I genuinely don't understand how anybody could possibly find michael mcintyre funny. I know it's all about personal taste and sense of humour, but I don't remember doing anything but cringe whenever I've seen his act. To me, he makes miranda hart seem like a comedy genius.

I genuinely don't understand how anybody could possibly find michael mcintyre funny. I know it's all about personal taste and sense of humour, but I don't remember doing anything but cringe whenever I've seen his act. To me, he makes miranda hart seem like a comedy genius.

My parents love him which says it all.

I agree. He seems to be under the delusion that shouting a lot, shaking his head a lot and walking about a lot is funny.

I agree. He seems to be under the delusion that shouting a lot, shaking his head a lot and walking about a lot is funny.

Stewart Lee did a bit about observational comedians the other night, mimicking their funny walks and shouting jokes in attempt to extract humour from banal material. He was 100 times funnier than any of them.