Unfunny comedians

sadoldgit

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Is anybody man enough to admit that they like Mrs Brown’s Boys? 

I'm not a fan but I've chuckled whilst watching it on occasion. Not really my cup of tea but I'm not one to judge people on what they do and don't find funny. Maybe I need to develop a supiority complex before I can join the comedy police? ;)

P.s. Lady T likes MBB

Edited by trousers
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, cloggy saint said:

Rob Beckett

Billy Connolly

Spike Milligan

Victoria Wood

All about as funny as a case of haemorroids.

I saw Spike Milligan live on stage in ‘Son of Oblomov’ in 1966. I took my girlfriend, now wife, to see it. I found him funny at the time but I think she was not so enamoured of him. We were only seventeen.

The others I agree with you.

8 hours ago, cloggy saint said:

Rob Beckett

The company I used to work for had annual summer conferences in one of the suites at SMS. The MD would book a surprise guest, and one year it was Rob Beckett. He was mildly amusing. Certainly a lot better than the following year's guest Richard Blackwood, who was about as funny as passing a kidney stone. 

28 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

The fact it's on Alan Partridge compounds the crime. One of the most unfunny 'comic' creations ever spawned.

It wasn’t particularly funny in the first place, but fuck me is Coogan milking it now. He’s  become exactly what he allegedly takes the piss out of. Smug, corny, middle class twat,  who thinks he’s still funny and edgy. 

45 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

It wasn’t particularly funny in the first place, but fuck me is Coogan milking it now. He’s  become exactly what he allegedly takes the piss out of. Smug, corny, middle class twat,  who thinks he’s still funny and edgy. 

Did you like him before you started disagreeing with his politics?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, badgerx16 said:

The fact it's on Alan Partridge compounds the crime. One of the most unfunny 'comic' creations ever spawned.

Partridge is one of my favourite comedy characters, thus underlining the futility of a thread that conflates opinion and fact... ;) Mods: on that note, please correct the thread title from "unfunny comedians" to "comedians that some people find unfunny but others don't"... Thanks :) )

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Don't understand how people don't like Partridge, especially early stuff. The bits he did during On The Hour on Radio 4 and the Day Today were superb.

His own Radio 4 show was great too. He still makes me laugh now.

Normally people of lower intellect.  I imagine some posters far more comfortable with Bernard Manning and Chibby Brown. You know real men who like birds.

1 hour ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Bless probably clueless that one of the funniest team of writers behind the creation. Bet you struggled with the Thick of It

7 minutes ago, whelk said:

Normally people of lower intellect. 

You sometimes come across as a complete tit.

This thread is about opinions, not verifiable fact. Your opinion may or may not be as valid as mine, but if we all found the same things funny there would probably only be 3 comedians on the circuit, and we would all be grouped with Prince Charles in thinking the Goons were the funniest act ever.

• Like 1

On 20/02/2022 at 13:17, cloggy saint said:

Rob Beckett

Billy Connolly

Spike Milligan

Victoria Wood

All about as funny as a case of haemorroids.

I especially disagree on Spike Milligan, if only for his appearance on Room 101 when he not only put his house in but  also the City of Portsmouth.

Edited by moonraker

4 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

You sometimes come across as a complete tit.

This thread is about opinions, not verifiable fact. Your opinion may or may not be as valid as mine, but if we all found the same things funny there would probably only be 3 comedians on the circuit, and we would all be grouped with Prince Charles in thinking the Goons were the funniest act ever.

It is true though. Most who don’t get Partridge like their comedy more obvious and slapstick. Agree that it is instinctive what makes some laugh and others not. Some comedy can be appreciated as clever and will produce a wry smile more than a belly laugh.

9 minutes ago, whelk said:

It is true though. Most who don’t get Partridge like their comedy more obvious and slapstick. Agree that it is instinctive what makes some laugh and others not. Some comedy can be appreciated as clever and will produce a wry smile more than a belly laugh.

Are Al Murray and Dara O'Brien "obvious and slapstick" ? Are John Richardson, Bill Bailey, or Ross Noble, all of whom I find funny. I don't think The Thick Of It fits your characterisation, nor Father Ted, but the only response Partridge induces in me is to cringe.

55 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Are Al Murray and Dara O'Brien "obvious and slapstick" ? Are John Richardson, Bill Bailey, or Ross Noble, all of whom I find funny. I don't think The Thick Of It fits your characterisation, nor Father Ted, but the only response Partridge induces in me is to cringe.

You seem to be taking it a bit personally.

3 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

The jokes wearing thin now. It’s gone on too long and he needs to be killed off.  Peter Kay got the timing right with Brian Potter, Partridge is just the same old tune over and over again. 

I agree. I can't stand those characters that just recycle the same stock phrases over and over again.

• Haha 6

Tom Davis. Got good reviews for King Gary and the Curse. Why?

I have to agree with Steve Coogan too. Can’t think of any of his characters that I have found funny. If that means I am thick, so be it.

Cant agree about Spike Milligan though. He was naturally a very funny man despite suffering from severe depression. Without Spike Milligan there was possibly no Monty Python.

I might disagree with Rosie Jones being on the list if only I could understand what she was saying.

I used to love Ricky Gervais on his radio show on Saturday afternoons with Stephen Merchant and Carl Pilkington but I find him irritating now. Like Coogan, for me he gives off an air of laugh at me because aren’t I being clever.

After my earlier confusion over which Russell I don’t find funny I have now come to the conclusion that all of the current Russell comedians do not make me laugh.

Viv Reeves not funny. Bob Mortimer funny.

Mrs Brown’s Boys has taken dumbing down to a whole new level.

Jim Carey.

Chat show hosts - they used to be there to make the guests look good, now it is all about them and they get given the best gags.

I think you need to separate out categories. Some comedians were funny in their time but the world moved on and you have heard that same a joke a thousand times since. Others were making jokes about things we no longer take amusement in because our culture has changed, some have been doing the same schtick for too long and part of what makes things funny is an unusual juxtaposition but if you already know what is going to happen then the jokes has worn thin.  Even initially innovative comics will reveal their process so you can see the next iteration. It is also weird to see the same act several times where you see practiced spontaneity and a performance rather than comedy.

Other things that are unfunny include pointing out the bleeding obvious, having too much contrived setup and just saying the same thing over and over. For those three reasons one of my least liked comedies was Absolutely Fabulous. But it was still an improvement on watching the News.

9 hours ago, Mystic Force said:

and just saying the same thing over and over.

Thats Nice Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Watched Jimmy Carr's latest show on Netflix last weekend, bit wank as a lots of old jokes in there but with added shock swearing. I like to use the word c**t as the next bloke in certain scenarios but got used a bit too much. Gervais has gone the same way and his last series of After Life was just poor.

15 hours ago, skintsaint said:

Watched Jimmy Carr's latest show on Netflix last weekend, bit wank as a lots of old jokes in there but with added shock swearing. I like to use the word c**t as the next bloke in certain scenarios but got used a bit too much. Gervais has gone the same way and his last series of After Life was just poor.

Gervais hasn't been funny since Extras in my opinion and even then it was the celebrity cameos that made it interesting. His XFM stuff, podcast and the office are the three best things he's ever done and he needed Steve and Karl for those. Very overrated. 

16 hours ago, skintsaint said:

Who of Carr and Gervais has the most annoying laugh?

17 hours ago, skintsaint said:

A bit cringey wasn't it, but I quite liked some of the other characters that were quite good in previous seasons. Derek was better.

Speaking of cringey, watched Ted Lasso recently because it was set near where I used to live. 'British' comedy solely to appeal to an American market, like a really bad Notting Hill, if it was serialised.