Saints Sign Filip Djuricic on loan from Benfica

Saint-Armstrong

Could be wrong, but would the fact it's a loan change things? Less paperwork, so maybe less hassle with a work permit because it's "temporary", sort of thing?

Nope, to work in the UK (well as a footballer anyway) you either need to be British, come from some country or other where there's a reciprocal agreement (used to be the case with Australia and the like) be an EU citizen or get a work permit. The classic example of this is Traore with West Ham and Everton last season. 6 month loan from Monaco to West Ham, applied for the old WP, eventually got it after a tribunal, didn't fancy West Ham, signed for Everton who had to start again on the work permit front, must have played for Everton about once as well. If the lad has the required number of recent international appearances to be an automatic WP it's dead simple, rubber stamp jobby, if he doesn't we'd have to go and plead our case at a tribunal again.

A comment from a German friend who is a Mainz supporter:

"Interesting. He played only 11 times last year, Maybe he didn't fit to our system. Our manager critizised him, that he needs more pace and energy...."

If.......... ;)

so what do you know about him other than his name?

I follow Sporting Lisbon due to my Portuguese roots, and as a result follow the Portuguese League where he played last year...well, kind of, because he didn't play much in a Benfica side that had a good number of games and where unlike what was done in previous years, their manager (who is still the same now, unlike what I've read here) rotated the squad fairly frequently fearing the repeat of a 2013 end-of-season debacle where they lost 3 out of 3 titles (won 3 out of 4 this time round).

To be sure, Benfica did have the best midfield in the league, which included Argentine international Enzo Perez, Rodrigo and Liverpool's Markovic, but even with the considerable number of games and injuries that occurred during the season Djuricic struggled to make himself counted in the opportunities he had, and ended up falling behind (the much overrated) Andre Gomes in the pecking order, even for European games where his most regular game time was coming from.

The level of the Portuguese league, outside the big 3, is very low, defensive tactics are just a cover up for a lack of pace and creativity that exists in 70% of teams, and being in a good team as he was his performance was poor. Moreover, Benfica have sold a number of their midfield stars (including young prospects to Monaco and Valencia) and highly-rated Gaitan should follow soon, and yet they have not considered calling him back, nor did they consider him in pre-season.

Food for thought, but as I said the jury is out as with anyone else.

Michiel Jongsma, Dutch Footy Expert said he is a wonderful player, and plays no 10 brilliantly. He was a huge fan of Tadic and pretty much called his style spot on, and also on Pelle too so would trust his opinion.

He did say that he wouldnt really be able to play as the main striker, as wouldnt relish the physical side, so very much a no 10 style player.

Actually sounds very similar to Gaston...

Michiel Jongsma, Dutch Footy Expert said he is a wonderful player, and plays no 10 brilliantly. He was a huge fan of Tadic and pretty much called his style spot on, and also on Pelle too so would trust his opinion.

He did say that he wouldnt really be able to play as the main striker, as wouldnt relish the physical side, so very much a no 10 style player.

Hmm you say he rated Tadic?

Sounds even less physical than Gaston, tbh.

Gaston was used to getting hacked down every week in a very cynical league; whereas Koeman basically said that the Portuguese league was too 'physical' for Djuricic -and a big reason why he struggled.

Red Star Belgrade ‏@RedStarEnglish 2m2 minutes ago

Former Zvezda trainee Filip Đuričić signs for a team also playing in red-and-white stripes, @SouthamptonFC. Good luck in England! #SaintsFC

I know a few Red Star fans who follow Saints for this reason. True story.

Sorry Charlie, disagree, he has been hit and miss virtually from Day 1

At the beginning of the season it looked as though Tadic, for whatever reason, was really enjoying playing for us. He obviously had a rapport with Pelle and his performances were great.

Recently he has spent too long whining at his team mates, the referee and the opposition. I hope he gets back to playing with a bit more joy.

At the beginning of the season it looked as though Tadic, for whatever reason, was really enjoying playing for us. He obviously had a rapport with Pelle and his performances were great.

Recently he has spent too long whining at his team mates, the referee and the opposition. I hope he gets back to playing with a bit more joy.

Precisely correct

Probably wasn't expecting to be challenging for Champions League (so soon) and so is feeling a bit more under pressure/desperate to do well.

known quantity now, so one footed, good defenders now able to deal with him.