Post-Match Reaction: SAINTS 0-2 Liverpool

Saint-Armstrong

3 home games, 1 point (throw in a cup exit too)

terrible in front of goal for the last 4 games. took a 90th min attempt to actually score past QPR

we have an excellent defensive set up but the front players are not clicking. Pelle was terrible today. He is miles better than that. Miles better and he has been like that for a little while.

Someone mentioned on 606 as I was driving that he feels the lack of goals is down to pelle being rubbish lately and the chopping and changing in the 3 behind him..some of it forced, some not.

Coutinho scored a worldy and the ref was an utter ****. the 2nd penalty shout was so obvious. It was a disgusting decision. Thing is, we were talking about how bad he was before the game. the officiating this season in general for the whole lead is disgraceful. We will have a 5th official reviewing incidents in no time if this is the standard most weeks. An horrifically weak ref with Moss and Pawson.

back to saints....for all our possession, we simply failed YET AGAIN to test the keeper. teams are coming to St Marys to defend deep and not allow mane and/or elia to get in behind, along with our full backs....we then just lump it to pelle who really does not hold the ball up whilst challenged.

I thought we played really well for most of the game until we get to about 40 yards out. then terrible. It is that lack of firepower that will put a serious dent in our european hopes

You forgot to throw in the despicable results of the Under 18's, the Under 21's and the rot that has set in to the Academy since Jason Dodd was fired. About time action was taken to sort out the disgraceful situation eating away at our future successes and player production.

just got home from the game, all I can say is WOW.

The referee was a complete **** to start with, but that doesn't hide the fact saints played poorly

I don't like to slate our players but pelle ran like he was made out of Lego, and so half hearted in every attempt. SD was awful and shouldn't be starting with JWP still being that over hyped player we all hope will be the next big thing.

Yoshida fonte had an excellent game bar a couple passes.

The difference was Liverpool where clinical with there finishes and saints weren't.

supporters where mixed, lovern rightly so got stick along with lallana. A guy sat in the kingsland started shouting at the northam to 'support the ****ing team' when they sung 'were gunna shoot in a minute' but then he decided to leave 15 minutes before the final whistle which was laughable.

Should we support the team? Well DURRH. Should we critises players that don't get out of second gear, of course.

Finally well done to big vic, played out of his skin, wish others would follow

You forgot to throw in the despicable results of the Under 18's, the Under 21's and the rot that has set in to the Academy since Jason Dodd was fired. About time action was taken to sort out the disgraceful situation eating away at our future successes and player production.

You are joking right?

Pelle should be dropped. Needs a break and he has to pace himself to survive 90 minutes.

We will look back on this season and say we failed to take the opportunity to seize champions league football by investing in a striker in January.

I thought Lovren and Lallana looked pretty average today, but I'm beginning to think that letting Lambert go was the greatest error made last summer. If only we had him to share Pelle's burden.

Koeman needs a new plan. I'm bored of watching us hoof it to Pelle to watch him give it away 3 out of 4 times. Perhaps Long needs to play lone striker and we should reintroduce attacking wing backs now Bertrand is about to return? Something has to happen or we're heading for 7th.... Maybe not enough for Europe.

Yes we've struggled to break down defenses that sit deep but today consider this, on each of three occasions in the first half we carved them open and were denied by foul play which went unpunished by the useless lump of no good that has the gall to put himself forward as a referee. (Disclaimer - I'm told by those who watched on tv that the first wasn't a pen. I can only say it looked it in real time.)

God, I really need to not read quotes from Rodgers about our club, because it makes me very angry. He won didn't he? Why is he moaning about us? He really should STFU, the pompous arse.

Don't buy the "yes the ref was bad but.." lines. Against premier league opposition, some games you may only get one clear cut chance, today we had three and were prevented every time by two fouls and a handball. The referee completely lost us the game today, plain and simple. Utter disgrace, can't believe I had to pay to watch a performance like that from someone who rakes in about £100k a year for doing that so called job, yet if Koeman was to come out and rightly say how ****e he was, he'd get fined himself. Absolutely livid. We do need to bloody shoot though, today was deja vu of the United game at home, just screaming for someone to hit it and they buried their only two chances. Still, long way to go yet and we're in the mix.

LOL... I suggest you come back when you've seen the Bournemouth game from yesterday.

& is this the same Forster that produced the worldie save at QPR? Short memories some people!!

One 'Worldie' does not make season! He has been poor..... I watched the Football League Show too and there are plenty of good goslkeepers in the lower leagues. Certainly they are not that much different to Forster. In fact there are plenty of 'Worldies' every week in those leagues... Forster makes one save and certain people remember and recycle it all the time which actually says it all. We have a great well organised defence and this is making Forster look a hell of a lot better than he actually is. Three shots on target and one 'save'. It's a recurring theme.....

Pelle should be dropped. Needs a break and he has to pace himself to survive 90 minutes.

We will look back on this season and say we failed to take the opportunity to seize champions league football by investing in a striker in January.

I thought Lovren and Lallana looked pretty average today, but I'm beginning to think that letting Lambert go was the greatest error made last summer. If only we had him to share Pelle's burden.

Koeman needs a new plan. I'm bored of watching us hoof it to Pelle to watch him give it away 3 out of 4 times. Perhaps Long needs to play lone striker and we should reintroduce attacking wing backs now Bertrand is about to return? Something has to happen or we're heading for 7th.... Maybe not enough for Europe.

Good post by someone who obviously watches what happens in a game in detail...

Good post by someone who obviously watches what happens in a game in detail...

If he'd watched the game closely he would have noticed that two of the excellent chances in the first half which resulted in penalty claims were created by Pelle. He's low on confidence but he's still contributing. All you have to do is look and learn and support your players.

We simply do not have enough creativity, guile, or inventiveness to break down teams who come looking not to lose the match rather than to win it. After coming not to lose but scoring a worldy early on Liverpool just closed ranks and watched the 3 points roll in. Notwithstanding all that the ref was some kind of indescribable form of C U N T. Good night.

Agree about Ref comment but not rest. We had enough chances but no one seems to want to shoot at goal?? I would rather we have a go and miss than not try - FFS we had a lot more attempts than the **** poor Pool, who let's face it scored from the only shot on target with a worldie - 2nd was us chasing the game and would not have happened otherwise. Shoot FFS, just shoot - look what the Pool got for that!

If he'd watched the game closely he would have noticed that two of the excellent chances in the first half which resulted in penalty claims were created by Pelle. He's low on confidence but he's still contributing. All you have to do is look and learn and support your players.

A good point you make but you must admit he is a long way down on early season form. Returning to the refereeing debacle; two clangers not talked about much - Lovren's hand ball in the area, clear cut wasn't it? And the foul and yellow card given to Big Vic when he clearly got the ball first with minimal contact to the scouser.

A good point you make but you must admit he is a long way down on early season form. Returning to the refereeing debacle; two clangers not talked about much - Lovren's hand ball in the area, clear cut wasn't it? And the foul and yellow card given to Big Vic when he clearly got the ball first with minimal contact to the scouser.

Plenty more of those, Clyne hacked down by Can, booking all day long and didn't even give a free kick.

Plenty more of those, Clyne hacked down by Can, booking all day long and didn't even give a free kick.

Yes, early in the game wasn't it - set the scene for a string of decisions or non-decisions against us; the Jose tackle on Sterling the only exception perhaps.

Why oh why do we refuse to play balls in behind the defence? I just don't understand it.

Hard when only Pelle is up top and they drop off.

Conditions didn't help today. Quite a few balls intended for Elia were skewed out of touch. But quite a few skipped off the wet surface beyond players reach. Moreno's introduction helped shore up their left where we had earlier been getting joy with the diagonal.

Not good enough. Ref was shocking but we failed to create anything and I think that's probably us done for Top 4 now.

Only post #2 but basically that's the summary of the game for me too.

If you don't buy a ticket, you can't win the raffle and yet again we had lots of possession but no end product. Pelle needs to be told he is supposed to be our main goal threat, not a conduit who knocks down, passes, chests down etc for others. It's YOUR responsibility to try to score goals Graziano! Do it!

90 minutes and Mignolet didn't have a save to make. Start shooting at goal. It worked for Coutinho!

Ref was scandalous - we should have 2 pens and Mignolet sent off for handball. Can we refer it the referee's authority?

Hard when only Pelle is up top and they drop off.

Conditions didn't help today. Quite a few balls intended for Elia were skewed out of touch. But quite a few skipped off the wet surface beyond players reach. Moreno's introduction helped shore up their left where we had earlier been getting joy with the diagonal.

For a 3-4-3 they played 5 at the back an awful lot.

Feel very let down by the ref. I agree we couldn't hit a barn door, but game changes completely if we are given one of the penalties.

Minutes 1,3 and 26 to paraphrase someone else.

Forgot about Pelle's brilliant pass to Filip in the 1st minute, I've given him stick elsewhere but have to agree that was very good.

Feel very let down by the ref. I agree we couldn't hit a barn door, but game changes completely if we are given one of the penalties.

Completely agree. Yes we can all point to our attacking failings over the past few games. But 90 mins doesn't turn on the past. Even on the break and the terms of their own game plan, Liverpool looked poor and rarely a threat themselves, so fine margins were always going to matter. And Friend and the linos decisions decisively tipped those.

Early goal killed it for us as we cant score against teams who just sit deep and defend. But ref was shocking. My initial anger has quickly turned to realism. We need goals.

This was key. I'd have fancied our chances in a game where Liverpool felt inclined to go forward, but that early goal all but obliterated that possibility. Elia particularly ineffective (as Mane has been) against the deep defense. In such instances, we have to be making more of set pieces. Any theories as to why we're so ineffective when it comes to winning headers from corners/free-kicks?

An abysmal refereeing performance, one of the worst I've seen in a long time.

I think my patience has run out with both Davis and Ward Prowse now. Davis doesn't have the courage to play the ball forwards and WP offers absolutely nothing at present. Pelle could also do with a rest as he's woefully out of form.

Djuricic had some good moments and looks a much better option to play as the number 10

The front three are not co-ordinating well at all and I don't think Mane starting would make the blindest difference. Pelle needs to be dropped to help him.

JWP is pretty ineffectual apart from corners and attacking free-kicks. Davis and JWP together douse any form of attack through midfield - no vision and couldn't hit a barn door from 10 paces out...we need better.

Wanyama ran defensive midfield today - was superb and even added to some attacks with some nice touches. My MOTM.

I thought generally the defence was sound, but it was a big ask to expect Targett to come off error-free all afternoon when most attacks came down that flank.

I predicted 1-3...but thought we would get something. Didn't count on another diabolical ref though.

This sort of quote from Brenda Rogers is why I can't stand the bloke.

On Southampton's second penalty appeal: "Sometimes decisions can go against you. I can see why Kevin didn't give it. The ball's getting away from Filip Djuricic and he pushes his body into Joe Allen. Then Joe swings at the ball and doesn't make contact. Kevin was excellent, he was under pressure from the crowd but he had great control of the game."

Box of frogs.