Summer 2015 Hcdajfu thread ?

simo

Agreed. With a fit and firing Benteke we would be a very strong outfit.

Surely he wont stay there now. And realistically, the top 6, with the exemption of maybe a Balotelliless Liverpool or spurs, not really needing him its worth getting in the hunt ?

Imo he is exactly what we miss

Villa would probably benchmark his price with that of Lukaku's move to Everton. I know he is 3 years older, but Benteke would still require a huge bid to get him.

He would cost no where near what Lukaku cost.

He would cost no where near what Lukaku cost.

I said "benchmark", not match. How much do you think Villa would ask for? The Premier League is a market where Hull's Shane Long cost £12m and we are now a year away from another mega TV deal. Proven Premier League 24 year old strikers will cost a huge amount. Of course I'd like Benteke, but the amount he'd cost would be huge and Saints would be probably better off looking for value abroad.

Edited by Matthew Le God

I said "benchmark", not match. How much do you think Villa would ask for? The Premier League is a market where Hull's Shane Long cost £12m and we are now a year away from another mega TV deal. Proven Premier League 24 year old strikers will cost a huge amount. Of course I'd like Benteke, but the amount he'd cost would be huge and Saints would be probably better off looking for value abroad.

Also, the newly proposed home grown rules might cause some slight addition English player price inflation. If the rules are implemented they would cause a lot more of that.

How much do you think villa would ask? The scenarios are totally different around Lukaku and Benteke.

Benteke will have 2 years left on his contract, he cost them £7m. He's not been in the best of form this season. Lukaku meanwhile cost Chelsa £18m and was rated a huge prospect last season with many surprised Chelsea sold him. They have a huge income with a billionaire owner and champions league football every year. Meanwhile Villla are struggling their chairman is not investing in the side, most of their incoming transfers were free last summer, there are rumours he wants to sell the club. He may well want to cash in now or if they stay up they might well cash in to strengthen other areas of the squad which is most definitely needs. IF they go down Benteke will almost certainly want to go as he'll also be forced to take a pay cut. There is no doubt he'll likely cost a club record fee for saints but as you say proven strikers come at a cost, just not all like the cost of Lukaku.

the problem with saints getting benteke would be wages

For whatever it is worth, FM 2015 shows him on 36.5 K pounds per week which is clearly something we can afford. The problem would be if a richer club wanted to offer him 100K a week.

For whatever it is worth, FM 2015 shows him on 36.5 K pounds per week which is clearly something we can afford. The problem would be if a richer club wanted to offer him 100K a week.

we can afford that. players when they move for £20m will want £20m player wages at least

What sort of figure are we talking about there then?

I have no idea. But I doubt we will be spending £20m on a single player....I reckon Benteke moving will want circa £100k a week. he could get that sat on the bench at arsenal for example

the problem with saints getting benteke would be wages

Agreed. Depending on which report you read he is on between £40k-£60k already at Villa so you'd think he'd want a decent rise on that should he move. You're looking at £60k-£80k a week minimum i'd say.

I think it's pretty obvious Benteke has lots of ability, I'm not questioning that. But there is something about him that nags me. I'm just not 100% sold on him. I personally think for the money involved in getting him he would be a risky signing. Fantastic first season, and with the exception of a few flourishes (last night) has been largely indifferent this season and last. I know he had a pretty nasty injury, but I don't think he was pulling up trees before and hasn't done (except last night) since coming back. I wouldn't be disappointed if he did sign, he may well do very well for someone else, I just think there is more risk attached than seems to be mentioned. He's essentially had one good season.

Not so sure on Deeney. Seen Watford a lot the last few years (was pretty local, and mates have season tickets so go along sometimes). He's definitely a goal scorer, and a brute, I just wonder if he is too much of a blunt object for the Prem. Think it's unfair to question his attitude, he was a prat when he was younger and did some silly things but has been pretty open about that and seemed to turn things around, so fair play to him for that. It's certainly made a difference to him on the pitch as well. That said, my Watford supporting ST holder was trying to convince me he was better than Harry Kane whilst we were watching the Derby game on Friday, I'm not too sure about that personally :lol: I think he'd get goals in the Prem, just not a huge amount and he would definitely come with a pretty hefty price tag.

Personally, I'd really like us to go for Austin if QPR go down (even if they stay up really). For me he is the best bet of that bunch.

Agreed. Depending on which report you read he is on between £40k-£60k already at Villa so you'd think he'd want a decent rise on that should he move. You're looking at £60k-£80k a week minimum i'd say.

Which (and I know many will disagree) is what we should be paying our top earners IF we are genuinely looking to be a top 6 side of any consistancy.

Yarmolenko is a bit above our level, will move to a club with CL football almost definitely. Benteke is a weird one because we are the most realistic team within this league that he could achieve, can't see Tottenham wanting to spend £15-£20m on a striker now they've got Kane firing. The only two teams that would have the slightest credibility would be Liverpool and Arsenal. Liverpool signing him to replace/upgrade on Lambert really wouldn't surprise me though.

Which (and I know many will disagree) is what we should be paying our top earners IF we are genuinely looking to be a top 6 side of any consistancy.

But here is the challenge - Europa League football is not financially lucrative. So why would Saints spend all that extra money on wages if finishing 5h - 10th doesn't have that much of a financial benefit to them? I think we should go the extra mile if we're sure of a player being Top 4 quality.

But here is the challenge - Europa League football is not financially lucrative. So why would Saints spend all that extra money on wages if finishing 5h - 10th doesn't have that much of a financial benefit to them? I think we should go the extra mile if we're sure of a player being Top 4 quality.

Was chatting to a mate about this the other day, he mentioned that apparently they're making the Europa way more lucrative? I've not heard much about this.

The money received doesn't seem to equal the amount you need to spend to still get a decent league position the following season.

Was chatting to a mate about this the other day, he mentioned that apparently they're making the Europa way more lucrative? I've not heard much about this.

The money received doesn't seem to equal the amount you need to spend to still get a decent league position the following season.

I am not aware of any changes coming up but this is two seasons ago:

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/news/newsid=2146866.html

This seasons structure:

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/news/newsid=2146866.html

I suppose you need to add matchday revenue on top of that (32k tickets at £20 a pop is £640k minus expenses) but really it's not that much money and it could even be more lucrative to finish 8th instead of 12th in the Premier League.

The new 2015 to 2018 TV deal for UEFA competitions means there is a big rise in money for those in the Europa League and the disparity between the Europa League and Champions League is being reduced.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/uefa-announce-increase-prize-money-5434920

The new 2015 to 2018 TV deal for UEFA competitions means there is a big rise in money for those in the Europa League and the disparity between the Europa League and Champions League is being reduced.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/uefa-announce-increase-prize-money-5434920

That article references an increase for Europa but doesn't give too many details. I'll remain sceptical that the Europa League becomes in any way financially lucrative.

Would be happy with Schmeichel, Clasie and Austin. Haven't been that impressed with Trippier. Would love to keep Toby.

Lets have:

Schmeichel

Richards

Alderweireld

Clasie

Sissoko

Ramirez

Cabaye

Austin

£60m should do it. If Schneiderlin and Clyne go, I wouls sell Jwp to City and let Rangers have Davis back too.

Freshen it all up, you will have a class- with depth squad, and you will still be left with money on top!

He is not on 40-60k. He is on 35,000 at Villa and has a clause in his contract that if Villa are relegated will reduce it to I think 25,000. He has not consistently achieved anything that would suggest he should be in line for a big pay rise. He would be a gamble - one which I personally would be glad to take. We will be competing with Stoke maybe but definitely not the top 4 or Liverpool and probably not Spurs. Matching his current wage should be enough for a club in Europe and with the promise of consolidating further and maybe offering more if he and we do well. It is not by any means out of the question for us to get him without braeking our current pay structure. It all depeneds on whether Koeman (and the black box) like him or not. He is the only suggestion that I have seen so far that actually gets the pulse racing.

Lets have:

Schmeichel

Richards

Alderweireld

Clasie

Sissoko

Ramirez

Cabaye

Austin

£60m should do it. If Schneiderlin and Clyne go, I wouls sell Jwp to City and let Rangers have Davis back too.

Freshen it all up, you will have a class- with depth squad, and you will still be left with money on top!

Sissoko and Classie together would be a great replacement for Morgan!