Our On-the-Beach mentality is a f**king disgrace

alpine_saint

What is a disgrace is the fact that 3000 fans paid £35 a head to watch an awful awful performance. It was a throw back to the gutless performances of the dark wilderness years imo, really shocking to see. The worst performance I've seen in a long long time.

I wouldn't mind but it didn't even look as though the players were trying/cared really. We conceded two sloppy goals from missed challenges and general incompetence.

Vic and Fonte promised us a reaction but what we got was even worse than Sunderland. I do slightly worry that Ron isn't able to motivate the team as effectively as he might. Something has gone badly wrong, hope they figure out what it is over the summer as this is relegation form at the moment and could cause a hangover to next season especially if we have the distraction of qualifying for Europe by default.

It wasn't to be honest. I've seen a lot worse.

Leeds away in the cup a couple of seasons ago, Sheffield United away this season, Blackpool away in the NPC, Arsenal away, Sunderland away last season in the FA Cup.

Stop overreacting.

Think allot of this is pretty harsh on the squad TBH.

Not allot of people had us finishing anywhere near 7th at the beginning of the season regardless of how we finish. It's been a huge achievement this year.

The performance levels seem to have dropped inline with the probability of getting 4th, I think when you look at Tottenham they seem to have suffered the same fate.

We look mentally and physically exhausted & injuries to key players hasn’t helped

I agree completely. We were in Champions League contention for such a large chunk of the season, and sadly it has faded away the past couple of months.

It's disappointing though. Can't knock what the players have achieved, hopefully we can actually secure a Europa League spot. Personally I find it embarrassing how Premier League clubs seem to find it a chore. Maybe the league element of it needs to be reviewed so that it is more of a knockout competition, and also stop letting Champions League third-place finishers drop into it. Other than that, it is still IMO a prestigious competition - why wouldn't you want to try and win it?

But then again, the same thing applies to the League Cup and FA Cup - money talks I guess...

I went, and I expected nothing less than Leicester pummelling us. Shame that all moving Alderweireld back into the back 4 proved was how much weaker we are without Schneiderlin, and how much difference effort and motivation make. I have no idea why our motivation is so weak, but it was obvious Leicester were on a different level well before the kick off, and that could be seen weeks ago

I thought Clyne looked like he couldn't be bothered with a couple of exceptions when he had the ball or actually switched on to make a supporting run. He was coming out of tackles, sluggish positionally, just not quite there.

Wanyama looked like his usual self except for the couple of times he got caught labouring, and not having Schneiderlin alongside him must have a significant impact on how confident he is in shifting a pass on simply. Reed and Wanyama just don't have that understanding yet. Davis' performance was well within himself too, and he just wasn't there for the opening goal.

We weren't on the same level as Leicester (FFS) and we let too much happen for too long and then couldn't do enough about it because we were all over the place and they were already in position to score.

I'd say Pelle looked disinterested, but that's just what he looks like.

Only Bertrand and maybe Fonte and Mane looked like they were at their usual standard. Even Alderweireld's chasing out wide for the second goal just left Mahrez unmarked.

Gotta laugh at the fans who think 7th is nailed on. Personally can't see us getting any more points this season.

Even if we don't, Swansea need to beat 2 of Arsenal, Man City and Palace away.

If they lose tonight, we only need a win from one of our 2 matches OR them not winning both of theirs in order to come at least 7th.

Europe or not......it's been a dismal end to the season.

We gained all the plaudits for a fantastic star to the season and rightly so.

But we lost Lambert,Lallana,Chambers and Lovren......none of which have excelled since moving on.

Koeman has not made one significant signing when it was obvious to all we needed strengthening.

These players,Tadic,Elia,Durijic, etc have been dire.

And don't get me started on the over hyped Toby.

The end of this season is where we will start next season....**** poor.

I desperately want Koeman to succeed,we are fortunate to have him.....but I fear we will replicate his time at Valencia.

He may get manager of the season....but only based on the 1st half of it.

Europa league....we are not equipped for it.

If,and it's a big if,we made some significant signings,we might just make a fist of staying up next season....we had the 'don't write us off' mentality this season as everyone had. Us down as relegation fodder...we proved them wrong and sat back believing our own hype.

We won't have that motivation next season.

On a side note .....is the new messiah Nigel Adkins employed?

Hardly clambering for his services are they. He got lucky with us....not vice versa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But we lost Lambert,Lallana,Chambers and Lovren......none of which have excelled since moving on.

Koeman has not made one significant signing when it was obvious to all we needed strengthening.

I desperately want Koeman to succeed,we are fortunate to have him.....but I fear we will replicate his time at Valencia.

If,and it's a big if,we made some significant signings,we might just make a fist of staying up next season....we had the 'don't write us off' mentality this season as everyone had. Us down as relegation fodder...we proved them wrong and sat back believing our own hype.

Hardly clambering for his services are they. He got lucky with us....not vice versa.

It's a bit harsh all that, nevertheless we have spent 70 milion £ on inward transfers and our tail end of the season should be better.

It's not been a dismal end to the season really, we've just hit a brick wall in terms of squad and fitness. We set such high targets in the first half that it was obvious we weren't going to be able to sustain that, the fact we did for so long is a testament to the players. It's been an inconsistent end (not dismal), I'll give you that, but we've done what no one believed was even possible a year ago - we improved on last year.

I agree that Elia and Djuricic have been rubbish, but Tadic hasn't. He's struggled fitness wise in the 2nd half for sure, but he made a big enough impact in the first half of the season to be considered a success by most of us.

What do you mean, over-hyped Toby? Why has he been over-hyped exactly? He's a terrific player, a little bit injury prone and fragile at times, but a terrific player. If you're not that struck by him then god knows what your expectations are.

Overall it has been a surprising season. I never thought we'd struggle, but I didn't expect us to do this well. The watershed moment in pre-season for me was Koeman being appointed, it was at that moment I believed in our ambition again. He's a terrific manager, an honorable and respected person all over the world - we're lucky to have such a high profile guy leading us. Sometimes I wonder what people expect from Southampton.

It's not been a dismal end to the season really, we've just hit a brick wall in terms of squad and fitness. We set such high targets in the first half that it was obvious we weren't going to be able to sustain that, the fact we did for so long is a testament to the players. It's been an inconsistent end (not dismal), I'll give you that, but we've done what no one believed was even possible a year ago - we improved on last year.

I agree that Elia and Djuricic have been rubbish, but Tadic hasn't. He's struggled fitness wise in the 2nd half for sure, but he made a big enough impact in the first half of the season to be considered a success by most of us.

What do you mean, over-hyped Toby? Why has he been over-hyped exactly? He's a terrific player, a little bit injury prone and fragile at times, but a terrific player. If you're not that struck by him then god knows what your expectations are.

Overall it has been a surprising season. I never thought we'd struggle, but I didn't expect us to do this well. The watershed moment in pre-season for me was Koeman being appointed, it was at that moment I believed in our ambition again. He's a terrific manager, an honorable and respected person all over the world - we're lucky to have such a high profile guy leading us. Sometimes I wonder what people expect from Southampton.

'We've hit a brick wall in terms of squad depth and fitness'.....who do we blame for that.....no one and just accept it as the norm?

Toby is made of glass......not helped by Koemans insistence in playing him out of position,hence weakening both defence and midfield.

Koeman might be respected and an honourable man.....does that make him untouchable to criticism? If he constantly makes mistakes in picking the starting 11.....the formation and alike,and don't tell me he's got it right lately,then who do we point the finger at.

What do I expect as a saints supporter.....common sense decisions,ambition,and grabbing gilt edge opportunities to achieve greatness......we've lacked in all those departments lately,since January in fact,.....is that so wrong.

Have we really improved on last year?....I would challenge you on that.

But I only have one post left (I'm sure many will be chuffed about that)

After many years I refuse to now pay for a forum......but that's another debate.

The CL was a real possibility up until the end of January. Since then 4W 3D 7L. OK, I am not expecting us to win every single game, but we've fluffed it big time.

Who remembers what happened at the end of January, which was proclaimed by some/many on here as exactly what we needed to allow us the focus and recuperation time to fully concentrate on our league objectives...?

How did that pan out?

I really don't see why people are getting so annoyed. This was predictable as soon as 4th place became unrealistic. We don't really want Europa League - we don't have the squad to deal with it and to perform in the Prem.

To make it all feel better, do what I do, and put £50 on the opposition to win every week going forward - makes up for the loss.

'We've hit a brick wall in terms of squad depth and fitness'.....who do we blame for that.....no one and just accept it as the norm?

Toby is made of glass......not helped by Koemans insistence in playing him out of position,hence weakening both defence and midfield.

Koeman might be respected and an honourable man.....does that make him untouchable to criticism? If he constantly makes mistakes in picking the starting 11.....the formation and alike,and don't tell me he's got it right lately,then who do we point the finger at.

What do I expect as a saints supporter.....common sense decisions,ambition,and grabbing gilt edge opportunities to achieve greatness......we've lacked in all those departments lately,since January in fact,.....is that so wrong.

Have we really improved on last year?....I would challenge you on that.

But I only have one post left (I'm sure many will be chuffed about that)

After many years I refuse to now pay for a forum......but that's another debate.

To be fair that's not much of challenge, is it?

13/14:

8 Southampton 38 54 (GF) 46 (GA) +8 56

14/15 (so far)

7 Southampton 36 48 (GF) 30 (GA) +18 57

So we have undeniably improved from last year. The cold-hard facts are there.

Who do we blame for hitting a brick wall? The 'big clubs', TV money, FFP. Take your pick. To compete for as long as we did with that lot is admirable, players aren't super heroes and we were going to dip eventually. The typical over-reactions to our dip doesn't surprise me though, because that's all it is. Over reaction.

Toby has played, what, 3 or 4 games in CM - that's not really worth adding to a debate, it just coincided with the poor form of everyone else.

I think we've shown great ambition over the course of this season, but why people expect us to become a CL club overnight is beyond me. A club like ours needs to take it steady, slowly, no point in using January to splash loads and loads and loads of money at mega players in the hope of keeping in the top 4 - because that would not have been a common sense decision.

The glass ceiling, as i alluded to above, is a real thing. The only way clubs like ourselves have a chance of breaking it is to keep chipping away...year after year, keep knocking, and eventually it may break.

The glass ceiling, as i alluded to above, is a real thing. The only way clubs like ourselves have a chance of breaking it is to keep chipping away...year after year, keep knocking, and eventually it may break.

The thing that has also impressed me this season is how long we were able to stay in that Champions League position. That alone is a learning experience, even if we've not been able to maintain it up to the end.

To be fair that's not much of challenge, is it?

13/14:

8 Southampton 38 54 (GF) 46 (GA) +8 56

14/15 (so far)

7 Southampton 36 48 (GF) 30 (GA) +18 57

So we have undeniably improved from last year. The cold-hard facts are there.

Who do we blame for hitting a brick wall? The 'big clubs', TV money, FFP. Take your pick. To compete for as long as we did with that lot is admirable, players aren't super heroes and we were going to dip eventually. The typical over-reactions to our dip doesn't surprise me though, because that's all it is. Over reaction.

Toby has played, what, 3 or 4 games in CM - that's not really worth adding to a debate, it just coincided with the poor form of everyone else.

I think we've shown great ambition over the course of this season, but why people expect us to become a CL club overnight is beyond me. A club like ours needs to take it steady, slowly, no point in using January to splash loads and loads and loads of money at mega players in the hope of keeping in the top 4 - because that would not have been a common sense decision.

Very much this.

I get people are a bit disappointed we wouldn't be footie fans if we didn't all get a bit moist over the possibility of CL in Jan. but most of us were surely realistic enough to realise it was very unlikely we would stay the course.

I think anyone who is disappointed should just think back to august and what the predicted for saints this season I'd be very surprised if anyone predicted finishing in the Europa league positions let alone the CL.

We've end up as the best of the rest for the last two seasons which is sign we are still going forwards as a club. I'd see it as major progress if we became a regular Europa league team let alone CL.

Got to the highlighted bit and realised it was going to be a load of garbage again...

Yes, because we can afford to have one of them. Christ, what do people expect.

I expect to have a forward like James Beattie who regularly knocked on 20 goals a season for us. Are you telling me this is now unrealistic? That only the top 4 are allowed forwards that knock in 20 goals a season? I am not usually one for an ad hominem, but you really are sanctimonious at times.

3 posts and out.

That performance wasnt worth getting out of bed to watch on the telly let alone inflict on fans giving up their Saturday, $35 and a round trip of 300 miles to witness. Forget the season as a whole - the players approach to this game was a disgrace and an insult to the supporters. The OP is correct imo.

I expect to have a forward like James Beattie who regularly knocked on 20 goals a season for us. Are you telling me this is now unrealistic? That only the top 4 are allowed forwards that knock in 20 goals a season? I am not usually one for an ad hominem, but you really are sanctimonious at times.

3 posts and out.

Sometimes you can get lucky, and Beattie only had 1 20 goal season. But using the ''lack of a 20 goal a season striker'' as a bat to hit the club over our signings isn't fair at all. I don't know how you can say I'm sanctimonious, it's just the reality these days, it's just that some people have delusions of grandeur.

The only way we will get a 20 goal a season striker is to buy a young, up and coming player who has the potential. After a few seasons he may become that. But I don't believe we're ever going to be in a position to go and buy a ready made 20 goal a season striker.

Re the 20 goal a season striker - had Pelle had an average couple of months in front of goal instead of his drought, he'd more or less have hit 20 by now. I know that is a flawed way of looking at it, but it's still a fair point.

It's fine margins this year.

3 posts and out.

Yes pretty much because they cost a **** load of money and big wages thanks to FFP only big clubs can afford 20+ a season strikers from now on. The rest of us have to hope for a lucky break where a player hits a purple patch (like BT or Kane this season).

Was at the game and thought we were **** again. However Reed Bertrand and Mane did pretty good.

Someone above said about "Cold hard facts" and they are right. But here is another. Last 10 games Played 10, won 3, drawn 2, lost 5. 11 points. Which ever way you want to look at that stat it is a shocking amount of points. It would put us near the bottom of the form guide.

The way I see it is the first half of the season was excellent. The second half has been poor. We stopped scoring goals, stopped creating goals, let too many shots at our goal, conceded too many goals and made far more mistakes.

On the basis of the second half of the season I would get rid of Davis, JWP, Yoshida, Gazza, k Davis, Elia, Djuricic, Long.

We were in a decent position and just switched off. The question is why? Contract talks affecting player confidence? Players looking for a move causing them to be distracted? Fatigue? Whatever it is, the truth is the players should be trying hard to get the club European football next season. If we are to just coast to the end of the season and not try how about giving our youngsters a run out. They will put in the effort at least.

I don't think we're on the beach, I think we're in pre-season. A game trying stuff out without Clyne, no Schneiderlin available so trying stuff out in the midfield, giving Gazza a couple of games in goal to take a look. This is pre-season before the signings. Just need to get Isgrove in the team and we're back to last July! (And Billy Sharp in midfield of course).

I'm actually not sure how much I'm joking btw.

Was at the game and thought we were **** again. However Reed Bertrand and Mane did pretty good.

Someone above said about "Cold hard facts" and they are right. But here is another. Last 10 games Played 10, won 3, drawn 2, lost 5. 11 points. Which ever way you want to look at that stat it is a shocking amount of points. It would put us near the bottom of the form guide.

The way I see it is the first half of the season was excellent. The second half has been poor. We stopped scoring goals, stopped creating goals, let too many shots at our goal, conceded too many goals and made far more mistakes.

On the basis of the second half of the season I would get rid of Davis, JWP, Yoshida, Gazza, k Davis, Elia, Djuricic, Long. We were in a decent position and just switched off. The question is why? Contract talks affecting player confidence? Players looking for a move causing them to be distracted? Fatigue? Whatever it is, the truth is the players should be trying hard to get the club European football next season. If we are to just coast to the end of the season and not try how about giving our youngsters a run out. They will put in the effort at least.

Really can't see the club doing that .....

That performance wasnt worth getting out of bed to watch on the telly let alone inflict on fans giving up their Saturday, $35 and a round trip of 300 miles to witness. Forget the season as a whole - the players approach to this game was a disgrace and an insult to the supporters. The OP is correct imo.

This is the point which is being missed on this thread. Excellent season or not you expect maximum effort from the players in each game as a fan (especially when you travel a long way and part with your hard earned to go and watch).

Those on here are attacking those who dare to criticize just because we have had a good season. I don't think anyone is saying we haven't but the approach and attitude on display in the Leicester game was very poor and is deserving of criticism no matter what position we were in. The fact is, most of the players earn more in a week than most in the crowd do in a year. When you're giving up time and money to support you expect effort and commitment, the majority of the team were lacking that on Saturday.

This is the point which is being missed on this thread. Excellent season or not you expect maximum effort from the players in each game as a fan (especially when you travel a long way and part with your hard earned to go and watch).

Those on here are attacking those who dare to criticize just because we have had a good season. I don't think anyone is saying we haven't but the approach and attitude on display in the Leicester game was very poor and is deserving of criticism no matter what position we were in. The fact is, most of the players earn more in a week than most in the crowd do in a year. When you're giving up time and money to support you expect effort and commitment, the majority of the team were lacking that on Saturday.

I think the above sums up my feeling very well. I thought then and still do, that 'performance' was shocking.

Having had the misfortune to go to the last 2 away games I can confirm that we were total crap! Leicester was the worst, passionless, spineless performance I have witness since the debacle at Skatesville under Redcrapp. Too many players put in a half hearted display, many, too many, looked totally knackered, a few look disinterested. After such a wonderful season it is very sad to allow this to happen. If we had taken 9 points from the last 3 away games we would be 2 points behind ManUre. That is how near we are to breaking the top 4.

Having had the misfortune to go to the last 2 away games I can confirm that we were total crap! Leicester was the worst, passionless, spineless performance I have witness since the debacle at Skatesville under Redcrapp. Too many players put in a half hearted display, many, too many, looked totally knackered, a few look disinterested. After such a wonderful season it is very sad to allow this to happen. If we had taken 9 points from the last 3 away games we would be 2 points behind ManUre. That is how near we are to breaking the top 4.

9 from 3 is a bit of a tall order, trouble is we've taken 1 from 6 and that is just not acceptable for a side that's spent 70 million £ on players this season, plus a very very expensive loan. Just not good enough. Manager's fault.

9 from 3 is a bit of a tall order, trouble is we've taken 1 from 6 and that is just not acceptable for a side that's spent 70 million £ on players this season, plus a very very expensive loan. Just not good enough. Manager's fault.
:lol: You are a clown.

I went to Stoke, Sunderland and Leicester (FFS) and I don't think the effort has been anything like as bad as the Portsmouth away example given - at Stoke we were the better side and were unlucky - but Saints were clearly a level below that they'd shown at Chelsea. At Sunderland we were trying, but just didn't look like the urgency was there and were handicapped by the red card and certain obvious weaknesses in the team. At Leicester...

...overall it was definitely below the standard I'd expect of professional players, specifically ones who've showed they are capable of much better.

They'll be busting a gut at City because of the motivation factor and need to raise their game, it's the performance at home to Villa and sleepwalking through that too that I'm worried about.

If we aint in a relegation battle, we're in the beach from April. We were evenike it during our last promotion.

Why ? Its doesnt change with personnel.

Must be we are still a tin-pot club with no ambition.

A pity. I too thought we were on the verge of something special...

I like this beach.

Hmmm strangely quiet from some people today

Not really strange.....Alpine has barely posted a thing all season and clearly couldn't wait to have a moan last week. The fact that we have just destroyed Villa means we won't be hearing from him. I suspect the next time he posts it will be to tell us about the disastrous transfer policy, as he sees it and possible relegation next season.

Not really strange.....Alpine has barely posted a thing all season and clearly couldn't wait to have a moan last week. The fact that we have just destroyed Villa means we won't be hearing from him. I suspect the next time he posts it will be to tell us about the disastrous transfer policy, as he sees it and possible relegation next season.

What about Window Licker; what's his excuse?

Usual wan_kers are shown up to be what we all know they are all over again.

You obviously did not go to the Leicester game...we were a disgrace. Koeman has obviously given them a rocket up the arse to produce a totally unexpected performance

You obviously did not go to the Leicester game...we were a disgrace. Koeman has obviously given them a rocket up the arse to produce a totally unexpected performance

Surely the unexpected performance was last week not this ?

Surely the unexpected performance was last week not this ?

Our intensity today was far higher than many of our recent performances...but yes, it was great to see us play as per most of our season.. We need to somehow sneak a point next week and we may yet finish 6th

Our intensity today was far higher than many of our recent performances...but yes, it was great to see us play as per most of our season.. We need to somehow sneak a point next week and we may yet finish 6th

Sneak a win and maybe 5th :D