CONFIRMED - Virgil Van Dijk joins on Five Year Deal

Brizzie Saints

Think you are wrong about Alpine, he's not a wind up merchant just a pessimist get some people like SOG seem fixated with him. He is an alternative voice, let him be or just ignore him it's no big deal.

I think the word "fixated" is a bit off the mark Duncan. To me he is just like many of the jokers who say they support Spurs but seem to spend their lives moaning about the club. The word support doesn't seem to feature in Alps world. If support mean picking the club apart at every opportunity, hiding when the team is winning and then infecting every thread with negativity when they lose, then yes, he is a passionate supporter. Alternative voice? You could also say negative troll. I am not the only one who gets fed up with his one dimensional negativity, but thanks for singling me out.

He doesn't post when we are doing well because he is contented. I think Alpine's posts are an example of his anxiety and frustration that all of us feel but do not necessarily express so eloquently or passionately. Some posters ironically react just so they can be part of the 'anti-Alpine' club without offering anything original or worthwhile themselves.

Original or worthwhile Dalek? Like finishing 17th and bring back Hoddle perhaps? ;)

Please can we get back to topic. We've just signed the most expensive defender in our history and we're discussing a single poster?

Anyway, you won't find him on here now the club have done something right ;)

We kind of are on topic because said poster wrote just a few days ago that we wouldn't be signing van Dijk (and that Les would sell Wanyama).

Kills me inside saying it, however - enjoy lads!

Someone asked yesterday what players of old would I compare him to, well I think Larent Blanc (except more dominant and body built). Classy player, comfortable with the ball at his feet, strong and intimidating and could score for fun as a defender. Also willing to travel with the ball, stretch out the opposing team and help create chances.

Maybe not as refined (just yet) as Blanc, however he very well could be.

One thing which has been disappointing is the fact he hasn't been called up for the Netherlands, they have been crying out for someone of his ilk, yet he is shunned. This due to the sole fact he plied his trade in the SPFL. He'll get called up straight away - no doubt about it, now that he is in the EPL.

Obviously the SPFL does not have Dutch players as good as the De Boer brothers, Van Bronckhorst, Numan, Petta, venegoor of Hesselink and Pierre Van Hooijdonk etc. However when a team like the Netherlands plays a banger like Braffheid in the WC final, it really makes you laugh when they don't select VVD. I mean Bruma, Kongolo, Tete, Willems and Rijn are so un-inspiring to say the least. :lol:

Van Dijk has been swell for us. Strong, dominant, comfortable with the ball, a winner, a leader, passionate - and has an eye for goal (9 goals, not bad for a CB). He's a real footballer.

He may take time adjusting to a better league - all players do, however that shan't take long I doubt. He'll iron out the creases in no time.

Good luck for the rest of the season - I hope he's ace and you sell him for mega bucks (so we can make more money, but obviously you want to keep him).

Cheers for the response. High praise indeed to put him close to blanc. Looking forward to seeing him play.

Hope your season goes well (like it won't [emoji6]).

Good to read all the Celtic views, when the clubs fans come out with such glowing terms about a player, you know you have a good one (similar was said of Clasie).

Was Victor at Celtic with Virgil, or did Virgil come in after we'd got Victor? Forster, Virgil and Wanyama down the spine is pretty tasty.

Good to read all the Celtic views, when the clubs fans come out with such glowing terms about a player, you know you have a good one (similar was said of Clasie).

Was Victor at Celtic with Virgil, or did Virgil come in after we'd got Victor? Forster, Virgil and Wanyama down the spine is pretty tasty.

Virgil signed the summer that Victor joined us.

Have to say that I've been really impressed with the Celtic fans who have visited our forum. No resentment, no bitterness, no lashing out at their club and its management - just an acceptance that this is a reality they have to deal with. And then good wishes to the departing players.

There's a lesson for us in that but I doubt it will be heeded.

Have to say that I've been really impressed with the Celtic fans who have visited our forum. No resentment, no bitterness, no lashing out at their club and its management - just an acceptance that this is a reality they have to deal with. And then good wishes to the departing players.

Very good post!

To be fair, I think we've been quite gracious in the Morgan deal. We knew he'd go, we accepted what he'd done for us and knew he could do better. Similar to what the Celtic guys are feeling I assume.

Luckily for Celtic, their players haven't kicked up a fuss demanding moves.

They only very briefly overlapped at Celtic. van Dijk signed for Celtic on 21st June 2013, Wanyama signed for Saints 11th July 2013.

So would have had a handful of training sessions in July together.

Virgil looks almost too good to be playing centre back. With his skill he would be very comfortable in midfield and it will be interesting to see if we use him in other positions. I hope he is given licence to keep making runs forward like he was doing for Celtic as that should free up space and help us launch attacks. He's got goals in him too so certainly a very exciting signing. Well done to the club in getting this one over the line.

Same with the feynoord fans. Would love that lesson to be learned but like you, I doubt it.

What lesson?

Same with the feynoord fans. Would love that lesson to be learned but like you, I doubt it.

What lesson are you talking about? Do you imagine for one second that celtic fans would react in a similar fashion if their players acted like tw*ts and then fecked off to a team in the same league as them? And no one has been anything but supportive of Morgan.

Alpine goes hiding when things are going well but reappears when things aren't going so well and dumps a thick layer of crud over any thread that invites his attention. He seems to have a real glee for slagging off the people who run the club and digs out certain players for his special attention who are normally given really funny names, like Gashton.

Call me old fashioned but the word support implies to me an element of getting behind your club, not running it down. That is not to say that everything is always perfect, but there is a real difference between constructive criticism and basic slagging and negativity. Nice to see some of the bed wetters backing him up too. Good to see you sticking together when one of your main moaners falls flat on his face (welcome to Virgil and what a surprise, Vic is still here - not what our passionate sage was calling at all).

Bern, on this forum you seem to play the man rather than debate the issue. You and I learnt a long time ago that that leads to rows. Leave him be, you seem to treat this forum as target practice- my 83 year old dad loves Alpine's posts because they fit in with his pessimistic views on the Saints. Like I say he cares but just has a different way to you of expressing it.

Agree with this, I'm not sure I'd be so gracious on a Liverpool forum.

I'm well pleased VVD's signed. Hopefully he'll help shore up the back line a bit and the team will have greater resilience against the better teams.

I think Alpine's posts are an example of his anxiety and frustration that all of us feel but do not necessarily express so eloquently or passionately.

Christ Dalek, you must read a lot of drivel if you think Alpine's posts are eloquent! ;) I personally think he's a skate on a wind-up, even if some people here have met him and have been fooled otherwise.

Agree with this, I'm not sure I'd be so gracious on a Liverpool forum.

It is good that a few Celtic fans have come on here with a decent and reasonable view

However I guess there will be thousands of them cheesed off about continually losing good players to a medium sized English club fortunate to have a big wedge of Premiership cash to call on

Now you've done it - the bloody H word. [emoji6]

Well, if you must know I have not rattled on about Hoddle for some time. The fact remains, Hoddle should have been appointed in the Spring of 2004 except for the antics of the vocal minority.

This episode in the clubs history is like a ticking time bomb ready to be revealed. It may be in 5, 10, 20 or even 30 years and more but one day I will be vindicated.

Agree. Although one difference is that we have lost players to other teams in the same league as us, which does seem to make a slight difference. if morgan, lallana, clyne and co had gone to spain or Italy maybe we'd have felt a little different.

Chim chimminy chim chimminy chim chim cher-ree

Virgil Van Dijk he fuc king hates Pompey

Chim chimminy chim chimminy chim chim cher-roo

He plays for the Saints and he's coming for you

Like a virgil,

His fist touch is sublime

Like a viiiiirrrrrggggil

He really hates the Pompey chime

Clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap

As much as Alpine moans, so is everyone else....about Alpine.

In wondering what's more important, the signing of an 11.5m defender or the rantings and whereabouts of a forum poster.

Welcome to the club VVD, let's hope you can fulfil your potential with us.

Like a virgil,

His fist touch is sublime

Like a viiiiirrrrrggggil

He really hates the Pompey chime

Clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap

He came up from the Netherlands

Then from Celtic too-oo

Always thought that we were sh it

Until we signed you-oo

You're so fine

And you're mine

Better than Nathaniel Clyne

Oh you make me feel

Oh you ma-aaake me feel

We'll win three-two

[Clap clap clap clap clap]

Like a Virgil... [etc]

Really quite excited about VvD joining us. We've been on the lookout for a CB for a while, it seems. Rumours of Vlaar, etc spring to mind.

Hopefully he'll shore up any dodginess/uncertainty at the back and provide a strong foundation with Fonte, especially for when Bertrand and Clasie return. Having an in-form Romeu and a better positioned JWP, with Tadic providing some creativity, I'm sure Vic will get his head back. Then with a sharper JRod up front to accompany Pelle & Mane we're looking pretty damned fine in my unelected opinion.

(Forgive me if I've left out anyone significant)

Looks extremely comfortable on the ball, which is the sort of attribute Chelsea were looking to spend £40m on for Stones. Physically he looks strong. We just need to see how he defends against slightly better attackers. If he does that well then £11.5m will be a steal. Best of luck Virgil.

He came up from the Netherlands

Then from Celtic too-oo

Always thought that we were sh it

Until we signed you-oo

You're so fine

And you're mine

Better than Nathaniel Clyne

Oh you make me feel

Oh you ma-aaake me feel

We'll win three-two

[Clap clap clap clap clap]

Like a Virgil... [etc]

OMG How old are you Cyber Bully FRY?

Maybe you are getting excited about school again tomorrow?

Well, if you must know I have not rattled on about Hoddle for some time. The fact remains, Hoddle should have been appointed in the Spring of 2004 except for the antics of the vocal minority.

This episode in the clubs history is like a ticking time bomb ready to be revealed. It may be in 5, 10, 20 or even 30 years and more but one day I will be vindicated.

Brilliant - everything is well with the world.

Bern, on this forum you seem to play the man rather than debate the issue. You and I learnt a long time ago that that leads to rows. Leave him be, you seem to treat this forum as target practice- my 83 year old dad loves Alpine's posts because they fit in with his pessimistic views on the Saints. Like I say he cares but just has a different way to you of expressing it.

Thanks, Dunc. I do indeed care.

SOGGY comes on here to take the moral high ground, so of course plays the man rather than debate anything. It appears to offer him some semblage of self worth. He's harmless enough..

Passion for what?

He never ever comes across as someone who actually wants us to succeed. He just wants to spit bile at the club.

His remarkable disappearing act from the match thread on Sunday - posting merrily about how sh it we were until we scored and then disappearing for the rest of the day - shows he is an attention seeking troll who wants to seeth and hate but never enjoy or celebrate.

Sorry that offended you, CB. I was stuck in the boonies at my sons U-16 game and my mobile battery died. I re-posted as soon as I got the PC on at home - several hours later. If you dont believe me, I can send you the online match report and give you my sons name (its the only English name in the team...)

Edited by alpine_saint

Dosh ain't a problem, it's small change! And yeah hope he learns how to defend. Like Wanyama needed to learn how to pass and tackle and Forster needed to learn how to stop shots, right? :lol:

A lot of our fans have a similar reaction when our players are sold too. Great when they're with us and as soon as they're sold they're ****e.

Van Dijk is going to be swell.

No one is saying he's crap my southern friend, quite the opposite!

He is a great player, needs to concentrate on defending at times instead of running through the midfield and past the forwards. It's great to see but ****e to take when a decent team catch us on the break and we are a defender down.

Wanyama and Forster are superb, Virgil is on the same level, you guys won't be disappointed.

This is something I find it hard to understand. Why engross yourself in something that brings so much angst? Yes, I play the man in Alpine because he seems to suck all of the joy out of what is supposed to be a joyful and fulfilling experience. He also rarely debates but just hurls out negative one liners and abuse. I would love to have a debate with him but it doesn't happen because it is just an expression of frustration and blind rage that you usually get from him. I have no doubt about his passion for the club - we all have that or why do we spend so much of our precious lives wittering on and on. We are grown men with families. We have all lost people in our lives and experienced great joy and deep grief. We should by now be able to put football into focus. Shankley was wrong. There are far more important things than football.

Virgil looks almost too good to be playing centre back. With his skill he would be very comfortable in midfield and it will be interesting to see if we use him in other positions. I hope he is given licence to keep making runs forward like he was doing for Celtic as that should free up space and help us launch attacks. He's got goals in him too so certainly a very exciting signing. Well done to the club in getting this one over the line.

Very perceptive remark

There's no comparison really....It's easy to be magnanimous when you can loose your best players every year and still be guaranteed to win your league and qualify for Champions League entry at the end of every season.

Saints on the other hand are trying to ascend a ladder that is sinking in quicksand as fast or faster than we're climbing.....And each player we sell to other teams in our league makes that quicksand just a little soggier.

There is a key difference though in that Celtic aren't losing a player to a league rival. When we lost our starters, they all went to clubs we were/are in direct competition with. That matters. Celtic fans also know their club doesn't need the absolute best. They can win the SPL with Championship-quality players, or maybe lower Premier League quality. If they're being offered a big transfer fee (and for Scottish football £11.5m is just that), they might as well take it and buy a cheaper replacement who can perform to the level they play at. It's a lot easier to be gracious when you're not strengthening a rival or weakening yourself in any meaningful way.

There is a key difference though in that Celtic aren't losing a player to a league rival. When we lost our starters, they all went to clubs we were/are in direct competition with. That matters. Celtic fans also know their club doesn't need the absolute best. They can win the SPL with Championship-quality players, or maybe lower Premier League quality. If they're being offered a big transfer fee (and for Scottish football £11.5m is just that), they might as well take it and buy a cheaper replacement who can perform to the level they play at. It's a lot easier to be gracious when you're not strengthening a rival or weakening yourself in any meaningful way.

Trust me, I get that. But the Celtic fans could make a similar argument to the one we make - "just think what we could achieve (in Europe - their only real competition) if we kept our best players instead of flogging them off as soon as a good offer comes along". They will never forget 1967, nor should they.

I'm not saying that we should all just smile our way through times like that - I sure can't. I'm saying that we could do without a lot of the nastiness and vitriol aimed at players, management, the board and the ownership that always seems to emerge on here from certain posters whenever we hit challenges that are (for a club like us, in today's game) absolutely inevitable. Some of the stuff that was posted last year was sickening. And here we are again this year, after a very successful year, with many of the same people posting the same ill-informed, blame-culture drivel.

Of course, it won't change but there's no harm in wishing it would.

Sorry that offended you, CB. I was stuck in the boonies at my sons U-16 game and my mobile battery died. I re-posted as soon as I got the PC on at home - several hours later. If you dont believe me, I can send you the online match report and give you my sons name (its the only English name in the team...)

But of course.

Presumably there was the mother of all U16 tournaments between September and December 2014 when our phenomenonal run of former coincided with barely a peep from you.