CONFIRMED - Virgil Van Dijk joins on Five Year Deal

Brizzie Saints

But of course.

Presumably there was the mother of all U16 tournaments between September and December 2014 when our phenomenonal run of former coincided with barely a peep from you.

It's not just limited to saints. One of the highlights of international weekend is Alpines pre match bleating about how much he hates the England team and wants them to fail, then when they do is an absolute disgrace that they have performed like this. A view shared by Alpine junior who proclaiming the same views in identical style posts during England matches, sprinting to the lap top to use Saintsweb under his dad's login everytime he leaves the room.

Looks like a decent player but I'm not convinced CH is his best position.

The way he likes to stream forward with the ball and the comfort he seems to have with it makes him look like a box to box midfielder.

Wonder if it's worth a shot playing him infront of the back 4 to give him a bit more freedom to roam. VVD running at pace towards the oppo could be a useful weapon.

All these songs with lyrics about Virgil hating Pompey. I could understand it if there was some history but he comes from the Netherlands and probably couldn't give a **** about Pompey. He'd probably not even heard of them until yesterday.

Imagine if Shane Long joined Ajax and their fans sang a song about him hating Ado Den Haag. It makes no sense at all.

Alpine is a passionate Saints fan just like we all are. Anyone who speaks negatively about him would immediately change their opinion if they met him. He's a normal family man and I will always go out of my way to have a beer with him.

Please the usual people stick to trying to score points with me and lay off Alpine.

He's a legend on this forum and life needs characters.

I enjoy his hysteria.

Alpine is a passionate Saints fan just like we all are. Anyone who speaks negatively about him would immediately change their opinion if they met him. He's a normal family man and I will always go out of my way to have a beer with him.

Please the usual people stick to trying to score points with me and lay off Alpine.

He's a legend on this forum and life needs characters.

Cheers, Andy.

Bern, on this forum you seem to play the man rather than debate the issue. You and I learnt a long time ago that that leads to rows. Leave him be, you seem to treat this forum as target practice- my 83 year old dad loves Alpine's posts because they fit in with his pessimistic views on the Saints. Like I say he cares but just has a different way to you of expressing it.

Spot on post

Alpine represents all our inner cynics about Saints, he does say what we think but hate to think. Sometimes that is needed, however i'd like if he enjoyed supporting Saints a bit more. He can make it sound like a depressing thing to be.

I think that there is a lot of truth in this. We can all go into denial and throw sh*t at Alpine, who let's face it does over egg it a bit. It's the over egging that is his "downfall" but looking at the post where he has been quoted multiple times, you can see the ups and downs of many a supporter albeit in more forceful terms. He's just more pessimistic than most.

I've never thought that some posters could really believe what they've actually written. We all get angry and frustrated when the team do badly and this is a good place to vent your spleen. Some people seem to get their satisfaction by winding others up. If you don't like the owner, the chairman, the staff, the manager or the team then you don't like Southampton football club let alone support it. So what would you be doing on this forum?

My feeling exactly T & G. Some of the bile that was thrown at the people running this club last summer as well as this was appalling. As I have said before, constructive criticism is one thing but when it comes down to spite and bile then you have to wonder if this is the club for them. If this is the way that normal family men behave it is little wonder where the children get their bad habits from. I have tried the ignore button but that doesn't help as the offending quotes get requoted in following posts. I find it interesting that negative posters can get so much support and we are told that they are entitled to post what they like. Ok but there are rules about abuse and one poster in particular gives out just as much abuse as he gets and has never been banned. Try and engage in a debate with him and you can get called a "bellend" of if you speak in defence of someone who isn't here to defend himself that person can become labelled your "Messiah." It is so incredibly childish and yet, apparently, it can give you forum "legend" status! Really? If the only way you can get pleasure out of a hobby is to vent your anger and frustrations at in on an internet forum, then maybe you need a new hobby. Try as I might, I cant find a definition of supporter that says slag off at every opportunity.

I've never thought that some posters could really believe what they've actually written. We all get angry and frustrated when the team do badly and this is a good place to vent your spleen. Some people seem to get their satisfaction by winding others up. If you don't like the owner, the chairman, the staff, the manager or the team then you don't like Southampton football club let alone support it. So what would you be doing on this forum?

Why should everybody vent their spleen the same way ?

Why do some posters assume that others must, to the exclusion of ANY other explanation, be on a wind-up ? Because they have a problem appreciating that not everyone sees things the same. The problem lies with those posters, not the ones who make them angry..

Why do some posters assume that others must, to the exclusion of ANY other explanation, be on a wind-up ? Because they have a problem appreciating that not everyone sees things the same. The problem lies with those posters, not the ones who make them angry..

Shhh Alps, we like you.

If you don't like the owner, the chairman, the staff, the manager or the team then you don't like Southampton football club let alone support it. So what would you be doing on this forum?

What a load of crap. So when I didn't like Branfoot I didn't support Saints. Rupert ****ing Lowe. You sir (or is it sirs?) are talking ****e. People support Saints and may dislike owner, manager, players, they are still welcome on this forum.

I love the deflection here. The problem isn't with the poster who makes others angry? Dear God. That explains so much. I will try and explain. Of course not everyone sees things the same. However, a rational person, I would argue, would wait until the transfer window had closed and business concluded before they went into one about how badly we had done. To kick off weeks ago was a completely pointless thing to do because you had no complete information about the players leaving or staying. In fact you specifically said that one player would be coming in and one player would leave. Neither of these things happened and there was a good chance that neither of these things would happen. When you constantly add 2 and 2 and make 367987 and then start mud slinging based on your miscalculations you male yourself look silly. If you truly are this wonderful cuddly loveable family man then why on earth don't you understand why people get fed up with you? I understand that some have the need to vent their lives anger and frustartions on an internet forum, but to do so before you have a very good reason is just plain weird. If van Dijk had not signed and if Wanyama had left, fair enough. Knock yourself out. But the club made it clear they were signing a replacement for Toby (and van Dijk had been the name mentioned for weeks). The club also said that Wanyama and Mane would not be sold. But you chose not to believe that because you think that the people who run the club are incompetent. Despite the fact that they proved that they are doing their best to run this club within its means, you still find fault at every turn. Fine, That is your right. It is also the right of others to call you on it. You can side step the reasons why people get fed up with you all you like but the simple fact is, if you change your posting style and language you would not get as much grief on here.

Cheers, Andy.

Love how you cut off the I enjoy his hysteria bit :D

To be fair there are only 3 constants on this forum that i can rely on:

Alpine is the worlds greatest pessimist.

MLG will must be our resident Howard Hughes (the crazy version) over every detail.

Dalek always thinks we will be 17th every season.

If we did't have these guys the threads would be shorter, the debate less intense and my chance to use gifs like below.

Alpine is Vince Mcmahon - The bodybuilder is us playing badly and losing

GZUKvFD.gif

Well, I cannot be bother reading that. Its probably only a repetition of the same post hes written a thousand times. Has he even mentioned Lowe ?

Surprisingly not, Alps, although I think that the "messiah" reference in his post 2710 may well have been a reference to him.

Not sure if this has been posted before? Apologies if it has. Merson has rated each club's activity in the transfer market. Here's what he said about ours.

SOUTHAMPTON: B-

Players in: Steven Caulker (QPR, Loan), Jordy Clasie (Feyenoord), Juanmi (Malaga), Cuco Martina (FC Twente), Oriol Romeu (Chelsea), Cedric Soares (Sporting CP), Maarten Stekelenburg (Fulham, Loan), Virgil van Dijk (Celtic)

Players out: Artur Boruc (Bournemouth), Nathaniel Clyne (Liverpool), Emmanuel Mayuka (Metz), Cody Cropper (MK Dons), Sam Gallagher (MK Dons, Loan), Jos Hooiveld (Released), Dani Osvaldo (Released), Omar Rowe (Released), Morgan Schneiderlin (Manchester United), Jake Sinclair (Released), Jack Stephens (Middlesbrough, Loan), Jordan Turnbull (Swindon, Loan)

MERSE SAYS: I'm not sure about Virgil van Dijk at all because he's been playing for Celtic and hasn't had to head a ball. I'm very interested to see what happens with him, but they have kept Sadio Mane and Victor Wanyama which is good news. Their start to the season has been a bit disappointing but they've had injuries so I'll give them a B-.

****ing moron!

Well, I cannot be bother reading that. Its probably only a repetition of the same post hes written a thousand times. Has he even mentioned Lowe ?

There is no need to belittle his post though Alpine, at least his response is civil, the pair of you are just very different. Football and watching SFC is very emotive, last Thursday I hated Saints in the aftermath of our defeat and needed to let off steam, this forum is the ideal place.

There is no need to belittle his post though Alpine, at least his response is civil, the pair of you are just very different. Foot all is very emotive, last Thursday I hated Saints in the aftermath of our defeat and needed to let off steam, this forum is the ideal place.

A moment of weakness; I come on here and find since my last visit he's written 10 posts, content 90% the same, slagging off my posts and casting judgements on me as a person.

A moment of weakness; I come on here and find since my last visit he's written 10 posts, content 90% the same, slagging off my posts and casting judgements on me as a person.

Isnt casting judgements on other people what you do all of the time though Alpine? And often without just cause?

Love how you cut off the I enjoy his hysteria bit :D

To be fair there are only 3 constants on this forum that i can rely on:

Alpine is the worlds greatest pessimist.

MLG will must be our resident Howard Hughes (the crazy version) over every detail.

Dalek always thinks we will be 17th every season.

If we did't have these guys the threads would be shorter, the debate less intense and my chance to use gifs like below.

Alpine is Vince Mcmahon - The bodybuilder is us playing badly and losing

GZUKvFD.gif

You just nicked that from the spurs forum...

Not sure if this has been posted before? Apologies if it has. Merson has rated each club's activity in the transfer market. Here's what he said about ours.

SOUTHAMPTON: B-

Players in: Steven Caulker (QPR, Loan), Jordy Clasie (Feyenoord), Juanmi (Malaga), Cuco Martina (FC Twente), Oriol Romeu (Chelsea), Cedric Soares (Sporting CP), Maarten Stekelenburg (Fulham, Loan), Virgil van Dijk (Celtic)

Players out: Artur Boruc (Bournemouth), Nathaniel Clyne (Liverpool), Emmanuel Mayuka (Metz), Cody Cropper (MK Dons), Sam Gallagher (MK Dons, Loan), Jos Hooiveld (Released), Dani Osvaldo (Released), Omar Rowe (Released), Morgan Schneiderlin (Manchester United), Jake Sinclair (Released), Jack Stephens (Middlesbrough, Loan), Jordan Turnbull (Swindon, Loan)

MERSE SAYS: I'm not sure about Virgil van Dijk at all because he's been playing for Celtic and hasn't had to head a ball. I'm very interested to see what happens with him, but they have kept Sadio Mane and Victor Wanyama which is good news. Their start to the season has been a bit disappointing but they've had injuries so I'll give them a B-.

****ing moron!

I'm assuming that, if he was working through each club in alphabetical order, he was probably just bored by the time he got to us so couldn't be arsed to come up with anything remotely insightful. Hopefully he was frothing at the mouth over the inactivity of Arsenal :lol:

I'm assuming that, if he was working through each club in alphabetical order, he was probably just bored by the time he got to us so couldn't be arsed to come up with anything remotely insightful. Hopefully he was frothing at the mouth over the inactivity of Arsenal :lol:

Which would make a change from him frothing at the mouth due to other reasons he may or may not be familiar with...

So..... Van Dijk then.... good signing or what?

Is Merson above saying he can't head the ball?

I've seen those incredible runs on youtube, but get scared he might leave us exposed.

He is told to do that by his Manager at Celtic - it's not an off the cuff surge born from boredom by him. On paper he appears to be a very good signing. My only slight concern is criticism from Celtic fans of his performances in some European games against opposition the calibre of which he'll be facing week-in week-out in the Premier League. But we have to hope that the system he slots into gives him the platform to play well. If we were going to miss out on Toby then this is the player I wanted as the next target.

And it will also be fun to have a centre-half who can physically beast some players as well. Who was the last centre half we had that was also mobile and could do that?

No it's because Paul's bit fick. He gave Arsenal (signed one player) a B.

There is no need to belittle his post though Alpine, at least his response is civil, the pair of you are just very different. Football and watching SFC is very emotive, last Thursday I hated Saints in the aftermath of our defeat and needed to let off steam, this forum is the ideal place.

Sport is very emotive. I remember the mood in our house when we lost 3-2 to W Germany in the 1970 WC. My brother was in tears and my Dad and I could barely speak we were so chocked. I remember feeling like screaming YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS when Bobby Stokes scored the winning goal at Wembley but had to contain myself because I was sat in the Man Utd end! I remember listening to the Everton cup game on the radio when they turned us over and feeling physically sick. Relegation and administration sucked. But we need to find some perspective. Afterall it is just a game. My eldest daughter is moving out of her home today and moving into a flat in Brighton as she is about to start Uni. On Monday I spent 4.5 hours in the car in a journey to IKEA in Croydon that would usually take 1.5 hours but being a wet BH everybody took to the roads. I helped my daughter and her boyfriend load up my car with their stuff, drove them back to Burgess Hill and then drove another 1.5 hours home. I was completely knackered by the time I got back but do you know what, I had completely forgotten about the European exit and hadn't worried about whether we had signed VVD or not. When it gets to the point where football rules your life and becomes the most important thing, there is a problem. When I am on my deathbed I really don't think that I am going to wish that I had spent more of my life on an internet forum. If some people get off on slagging other people off that they don't know to other people they have never met, that has got to be weird, right? And I really need to find something else to do with my time too ;)

So..... Van Dijk then.... good signing or what?

Is Merson above saying he can't head the ball?

I've seen those incredible runs on youtube, but get scared he might leave us exposed.

I am not sure about the heading bit as I have seen him heading two goals from crosses. Even in Scottish football I think it is a prerequisite that a CH can head a ball. Perhaps Mers had been on the source again?

Sport is very emotive. I remember the mood in our house when we lost 3-2 to W Germany in the 1970 WC. My brother was in tears and my Dad and I could barely speak we were so chocked. I remember feeling like screaming YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS when Bobby Stokes scored the winning goal at Wembley but had to contain myself because I was sat in the Man Utd end! I remember listening to the Everton cup game on the radio when they turned us over and feeling physically sick. Relegation and administration sucked. But we need to find some perspective. Afterall it is just a game. My eldest daughter is moving out of her home today and moving into a flat in Brighton as she is about to start Uni. On Monday I spent 4.5 hours in the car in a journey to IKEA in Croydon that would usually take 1.5 hours but being a wet BH everybody took to the roads. I helped my daughter and her boyfriend load up my car with their stuff, drove them back to Burgess Hill and then drove another 1.5 hours home. I was completely knackered by the time I got back but do you know what, I had completely forgotten about the European exit and hadn't worried about whether we had signed VVD or not. When it gets to the point where football rules your life and becomes the most important thing, there is a problem. When I am on my deathbed I really don't think that I am going to wish that I had spent more of my life on an internet forum. If some people get off on slagging other people off that they don't know to other people they have never met, that has got to be weird, right? And I really need to find something else to do with my time too ;)

You are really becoming a sad old git then? ;)

It is hard to ignore something that is everywhere. The points are being countered.

If the arguments you make don't make any difference, just move on. It's really easy to ignore. Just scroll down. What's worse than anything Alpine writes is the dozen or so replies squinnying because they don't like what he says. Either see the funny side in it (as usually there is an element of perfect timing to it) or move on.

What a load of crap. So when I didn't like Branfoot I didn't support Saints. Rupert ****ing Lowe. You sir (or is it sirs?) are talking ****e. People support Saints and may dislike owner, manager, players, they are still welcome on this forum.

Sadly many gave up when those individuals were in charge, but those that remained must have liked something if it was only Le Tissier.

Not everyone sees things the same . Some always see things from the worst possible scenario., Just as some have an irrational fear of flying or hospitals or what ever,

If the arguments you make don't make any difference, just move on. It's really easy to ignore. Just scroll down. What's worse than anything Alpine writes is the dozen or so replies squinnying because they don't like what he says. Either see the funny side in it (as usually there is an element of perfect timing to it) or move on.

Agree 100%, Dwayne.