CONFIRMED - Virgil Van Dijk joins on Five Year Deal

Brizzie Saints

So the sky comparisons using that data are completely meaningless and a pointless gimmick?

It's basically paid product placement for Football Manager.

The comparison here is skewed because you have a huge league compared with a relatively small league, in reputation terms, and a team far bigger than the league it's in.

Basically the worst possible conditions for comparing players in FM, they're a bit more representative between teams in the same league or leagues of a more comparable reputation, but still subject to a relatively small group of people's own opinions.

Gutted to the big man leave us, you have got yourselves a cracking player who will only get better and better. I saw the comparison with Yoshida, it's laughable. He's far better than Yoshida.

Anyway, good luck to you guys and big Virgil. Most likely see you next year when you're after another one of our players.:lol:

So what do you think of Wanyama's situation. Was he petulant at Celtic!

For those of you who are late to this thread. This is how its played out. :lol:

Is anything really happening on the CB front ? not a lot of rumours out there.

It feels a bit frustrating, I expected the club zoom right back with a signing after the Toby debacle.

Even the Echo is saying its the last (but fairly significant) piece of the jigsaw missing...

Go ahead and take the p*ss; but in my opinion anyone who is not concerned with only Fonte from last seasons back 5 remaining for the Toon game, and doesnt want to see the injection of a bit more quality, is a mug.

I see the stalker-with-no-opinion-of-his-own is back..

Apart from possibly GK, I reckon CB is the most difficult position on the pitch to recruit real quality for, and we arent exactly top of the food chain... :(

I hope you are right. My problem is that with such an "understanding" needing to lie dormant for a while, there is always the risk of being gazumped; something similar happened with Toby.

Hmm. What a fuss being made. Its not as if I even really accused the club of doing nothing in this post. I asked if anything was happening and expressed my frustration (which is actually partly caused by being shafted by AM and Toby).

As usual, complete over-reaction in these parts...

:facepalm:

It may well be that we have a deal agreed somewhere just awaiting some trigger for the contracts to be signed. Personally I dont like that arrangement, because it allows other teams to come in, and I reckon we were caught napping like that with Toby.

Well, it seems to be what happens to us....

Doesnt have to be him. I just want a quality partner for Fonte.

According to the likes of SOG we dont need anybody, the squad is perfect.

Seems to me we'd better start looking elsewhere.

According to the papers this morning, we've lost this one too.

I suspect Everton would offer more money to club and player. And, of course, they are a "big" club.

CB - always this club's f**king blind spot.

who then ? We didnt sign Toby, we had a loan agreement including a purchase clause with a hole wide enough to steer an aircraft carrier through.

Jos wasnt good enough for the PL.

Lovren was a f**king mercenary.

Toby was a colossal f**k-up.

Fonte was years ago.

You dont trust Koemans judgement on central defenders ? wow.

I saw Stephens and Turnbull in Bischofshofen and dont see it - yet..

We need a CB good enough to go straight into the first XI.

With the news that we have approached Arsenal to bring Calum chambers back on loan (and been knocked back..), I have concluded that actually, despite all the sneering on here, we DONT have a clue about who to bring in at CB and are not very close to concluding a deal at all...

Sorry, I was on holiday and off-line

Maybe, maybe not. We'll see.

F**k me you have become so anal it must be a parody of yourself...

Just keep going. Its hillarious. Like a mangy dog with a bone.

At least we "bed-wet" on-subject. Its not us resorting to all the abuse and taking the thread off-subject.

Chester chooses WBA over Saints. We've really havent got this under control, have we ?

Either that or we have already got the signature of the reincarnation of Franco Baresi.......

Whether we made an offer for Chester or not is irrelevant, in the final analysis.

We simply dont seem to be on the pulse of CB transfer activity considering we now need 2.

There are two possibilities : we have concluded an agreement and are waiting for the right time to formalise/announce it, or we havent got a clue/have been knocked back. I am happy to conceed it is more likely to be the former, but I worry it may be the latter.

We arent going to get him, are we ?

Lets move on to other targets and get our defence settled. This pussy-footing and p*ssing about could still very well lead to nothing.

F**k me you're tedious.

Draggggggging on

....and on.....

....and on.....

....and on.....

Lets hope that the the latest news articles are not further PR.....

Yep.

2nd leg against Malmo is on 25 Aug.

That leaves us less than a week to identify and sign someone else if VVD gets carried away with the euphoria of the moment if Celtic overcome Malmo.

Extremely risky strategy in place, it seems.

So, after lunch I am going to start moaning-a-f*ck about how its taking Krychowiak so long to sign for us....

Is the VVD medical revelation been confused and it was actually Romeu's medical ?

If he goes at all...

Wrong player.

So fed up with this f**king circus.

Well, that result was just about the worst it could have been for us concluding a deal ASAP. 3-0 or 0-3 would have had the effect that Celtic could have let him go a week early.

So obvious it needed the self-appointed Sage of Saints Web to repeat it....

:facepalm:

Nope. I simply dont agree with the approach.

By the time Celtic know if they are through against Malmo, and if VVD decides based on that result (and/or any contract improvement Celtic then feel they can offer) to stay, we will have 5 days to find another target, make an approach, negotiate and close the deal.

I thinik we are following a high-risk strategy and we havent done particularly well in these sort of games in recent times..

VVD aint going to come here.

We always f**k up this sort of high profile public p*ssing contest.

Everton are going to have up to 40m burning a hole in the pocket, and we will continue to be smart-arse....

Nothing happening again today, it seems. Quelle Surprise. Only 2 days left next week then.

Uncle Les f**king up or taking us for mugs again, then.

Hohohoho - very good.

Not filled the gaping hole in defence yet though, have we ?

You know you are clutching at straws. We were supposed to have a loan with option-to-buy agreeement in place and f**ked that up; there is no evidence the same group of incompetent fools will cold-sell this club to someone else at such a late stage. VVD would be a complete bellend to come here now. He's got Euro football at Celtic, and can probably re-negotiate his contract there to get more money if he wants.

LOL at the "still x days to the window closes, then you can wet the bed" brigade getting desperate as the time runs out.

VVD aint coming, and Uncle Les will cave into Big Vics stroppiness. Hopefully Mane will still be here :(

So, after all the hullabaloo, will be good to see this one cross the line. I am glad it appears I was wrong.

Just praying this isnt another Skacel moment and he is up to the task.

If Koeman is confident he can manage Wanyama, why should Reed be getting involved at all ?

F**king hell. We are going to lose him to someone else.

This should spell the end for Uncle Les.

So why isnt the deal closed and announced. A f**king year in the making apparently, why does it need until the last minute ?

F**king mental - the media coverage of us is at times quite astounding.

At fecking last...

Lol. As has always been said, when Alpine rants and gets in a tizz about something he doesn't understand, almost always the opposite happens. I've not known a situation whereby he has been right, ever. Got no problem with people having opinions, but it's his sheer bullishness that he is right and anyone else is an idiot.

Lol. As has always been said, when Alpine rants and gets in a tizz about something he doesn't understand, almost always the opposite happens. I've not known a situation whereby he has been right, ever. Got no problem with people having opinions, but it's his sheer bullishness that he is right and anyone else is an idiot.

He is, and always has been, an utterly clueless c**t.

On paper a great signing, but he will not be pushing forward in the Prem like in the above vid I suspect. Overall, have to say he looks an upgrade on both Yoshi and Fonte, so that can only be good news. Having said that, with Yoshi performing better lately, I could almost imagine him playing alongside Romeu and forging a very exciting defensive mid line-up that was dynamic enough to switch play around quickly and create many chances from deep in our half. Well done Saints on what appears to be another astute deal and let's hope we can keep hold of him for at least 3 of his 5 year contract.

He was bang on about Ramirez, Osvaldo and Mayuka.

But don't let facts get in the way hey ho

Good to see this guy has signed. Although I've never seen this place so excited after a signing and its for a CB. Amazing ^_-

5 year deal is good business sense. Good!

Now prepare yourselves for the grumbling if he doesn't settle down by Christmas ;)

You guys have done well signing the big man, as a Celtic fan I will watch with interest to see how he gets on :thumbup::thumbup:

As said above, I doubt he will bomb forward as much as he did up here so hopefully he learns to defend while with you guys :lol:

Thanks for the dosh :)

Does he think anyone attaches any credibility to anything he says anymore?

****ed and moaned his way through back-to-back promotions and a surge up the prem.

He is, and always has been, an utterly clueless c**t.

Harsh and uncalled for. The same could be said about many of the forum regulars. People unfairly gang up on Alpine and it's disappointing that the moderators do nothing to stop what is essentially school playground bullying.

Harsh and uncalled for. The same could be said about many of the forum regulars. People unfairly gang up on Alpine and it's disappointing that the moderators do nothing to stop what is essentially school playground bullying.

:mcinnes:

If this was a schoolyard and Alpine behaved the way he does on here, I have no doubt that he would end up having his pristine copy of Mein Kampf wedged firmly up his @rse.

Just a quick thought . Re VVD does his five year commitment to the club mean RK and co will extend their contract with Saints as well . I hope this will be the case .

Why would VVD have anything to do with Koemans contract? Think you're clutching somewhat there.

Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion. The problem with a certain poster is the constant negativity, the constant assumptions that things will turn out for the worse and the constant mindset that his world is out to disappoint his expectations on a daily basis.

The latest nonsense when he said that we weren't going to sign Virgil and that Les was going to cave in and let Wanyama go to Spurs is just the latest in years of cr@p that he has peddled on here. To suggest that the Mods should protect him is the biggest laugh. He is quite happy to abuse those who pull him up on his nonsense - he could have been banned dozens of times over for his online abuse. It is nice that some people feel the need to support him but I think you will find you are massively in the minority.

Good to see this guy has signed. Although I've never seen this place so excited after a signing and its for a CB. Amazing ^_-

5 year deal is good business sense. Good!

Now prepare yourselves for the grumbling if he doesn't settle down by Christmas ;)

And no doubt you'll be one of the first in the queue.

Just a quick thought . Re VVD does his five year commitment to the club mean RK and co will extend their contract with Saints as well . I hope this will be the case .

Clearly nothing to do with Koeman's contract.

I don't expect Ronald to stay beyond his current deal, and that's fine.

Alpine may go postal from time to time, but he does add colour to this site.

tsw would a lesser place without him

Agree totally and said this many times. Alpine, you keep on going ,at least you show passion !

Anyway, a very important signing of VVD. If it had not happened I think their would have been major consequences.

You guys have done well signing the big man, as a Celtic fan I will watch with interest to see how he gets on :thumbup::thumbup:

As said above, I doubt he will bomb forward as much as he did up here so hopefully he learns to defend while with you guys :lol:

Thanks for the dosh :)

Dosh ain't a problem, it's small change! And yeah hope he learns how to defend. Like Wanyama needed to learn how to pass and tackle and Forster needed to learn how to stop shots, right? :lol:

A lot of our fans have a similar reaction when our players are sold too. Great when they're with us and as soon as they're sold they're ****e.

Van Dijk is going to be swell.

Edited by niceandfriendly

Kills me inside saying it, however - enjoy lads!

Someone asked yesterday what players of old would I compare him to, well I think Larent Blanc (except more dominant and body built). Classy player, comfortable with the ball at his feet, strong and intimidating and could score for fun as a defender. Also willing to travel with the ball, stretch out the opposing team and help create chances.

Maybe not as refined (just yet) as Blanc, however he very well could be.

One thing which has been disappointing is the fact he hasn't been called up for the Netherlands, they have been crying out for someone of his ilk, yet he is shunned. This due to the sole fact he plied his trade in the SPFL. He'll get called up straight away - no doubt about it, now that he is in the EPL.

Obviously the SPFL does not have Dutch players as good as the De Boer brothers, Van Bronckhorst, Numan, Petta, venegoor of Hesselink and Pierre Van Hooijdonk etc. However when a team like the Netherlands plays a banger like Braffheid in the WC final, it really makes you laugh when they don't select VVD. I mean Bruma, Kongolo, Tete, Willems and Rijn are so un-inspiring to say the least. :lol:

Van Dijk has been swell for us. Strong, dominant, comfortable with the ball, a winner, a leader, passionate - and has an eye for goal (9 goals, not bad for a CB). He's a real footballer.

He may take time adjusting to a better league - all players do, however that shan't take long I doubt. He'll iron out the creases in no time.

Good luck for the rest of the season - I hope he's ace and you sell him for mega bucks (so we can make more money, but obviously you want to keep him).

Yeah but he does it deliberately to wind people up, and get people into slanging matches. It's the attention he craves.

He deliberately posts ultra-negative stuff on here so he'll be wrong and people will slag him off. He'll then wind them up.

Yeah but he does it deliberately to wind people up, and get people into slanging matches. It's the attention he craves.

He deliberately posts ultra-negative stuff on here so he'll be wrong and people will slag him off. He'll then wind them up.

I don't think he is that intelligent. He is just a gloomy individual with a negative outlook on life.

I love the colour alps brings to this site I may not always agree with his views but his passion cannot be denied

Passion for what?

He never ever comes across as someone who actually wants us to succeed. He just wants to spit bile at the club.

His remarkable disappearing act from the match thread on Sunday - posting merrily about how sh it we were until we scored and then disappearing for the rest of the day - shows he is an attention seeking troll who wants to seeth and hate but never enjoy or celebrate.

Someone asked yesterday what players of old would I compare him to, well I think Larent Blanc (except more dominant and body built). Classy player, comfortable with the ball at his feet, strong and intimidating and could score for fun as a defender. Also willing to travel with the ball, stretch out the opposing team and help create chances.

One thing which has been disappointing is the fact he hasn't been called up for the Netherlands, they have been crying out for someone of his ilk, yet he is shunned. This due to the sole fact he plied his trade in the SPFL. He'll get called up straight away - no doubt about it, now that he is in the EPL.

Obviously the SPFL does not have Dutch players as good as the De Boer brothers, Van Bronckhorst, Numan, Petta, venegoor of Hesselink and Pierre Van Hooijdonk etc. However when a team like the Netherlands plays a banger like Braffheid in the WC final, it really makes you laugh when they don't select VVD. I mean Bruma, Kongolo, Tete, Willems and Rijn are so un-inspiring to say the least. :lol:

Van Dijk has been swell for us. Strong, dominant, comfortable with the ball, a winner, a leader, passionate - and has an eye for goal (9 goals, not bad for a CB). He's a real footballer.

He may take time adjusting to a better league - all players do, however that shan't take long I doubt. He'll iron out the creases in no time.

Good luck for the rest of the season - I hope he's ace and you sell him for mega bucks (so we can make more money, but obviously you want to keep him).

Thanks for this and good luck for the season.

We'll see you next year for Nir Bitton.

Obviously the SPFL does not have Dutch players as good as the De Boer brothers, Van Bronckhorst, Numan, Petta, venegoor of Hesselink and Pierre Van Hooijdonk etc. However when a team like the Netherlands plays a banger like Braffheid in the WC final, it really makes you laugh when they don't select VVD. I mean Bruma, Kongolo, Tete, Willems and Rijn are so un-inspiring to say the least. [emoji38]

All being well, he'll probably be a thirty million quid player in two years time.

We cash in, you cash in, we buy another Celtic player. Keep them coming!

All the best in the SPL and Europa mate, Celtic are a great club with sound fans.

Think you are wrong about Alpine, he's not a wind up merchant just a pessimist get some people like SOG seem fixated with him. He is an alternative voice, let him be or just ignore him it's no big deal.

Passion for what?

He never ever comes across as someone who actually wants us to succeed. He just wants to spit bile at the club.

His remarkable disappearing act from the match thread on Sunday - posting merrily about how sh it we were until we scored and then disappearing for the rest of the day - shows he is an attention seeking troll who wants to seeth and hate but never enjoy or celebrate.

He doesn't post when we are doing well because he is contented. I think Alpine's posts are an example of his anxiety and frustration that all of us feel but do not necessarily express so eloquently or passionately. Some posters ironically react just so they can be part of the 'anti-Alpine' club without offering anything original or worthwhile themselves.

He doesn't post when we are doing well because he is contented. I think Alpine's posts are an example of his anxiety and frustration that all of us feel but do not necessarily express so eloquently or passionately. Some posters ironically react just so they can be part of the 'anti-Alpine' club without offering anything original or worthwhile themselves.

He cares passionately about the club but lives too far away to get involved in person.

Edited by Whitey Grandad

Alpine goes hiding when things are going well but reappears when things aren't going so well and dumps a thick layer of crud over any thread that invites his attention. He seems to have a real glee for slagging off the people who run the club and digs out certain players for his special attention who are normally given really funny names, like Gashton.

Call me old fashioned but the word support implies to me an element of getting behind your club, not running it down. That is not to say that everything is always perfect, but there is a real difference between constructive criticism and basic slagging and negativity. Nice to see some of the bed wetters backing him up too. Good to see you sticking together when one of your main moaners falls flat on his face (welcome to Virgil and what a surprise, Vic is still here - not what our passionate sage was calling at all).

Think you are wrong about Alpine, he's not a wind up merchant just a pessimist get some people like SOG seem fixated with him. He is an alternative voice, let him be or just ignore him it's no big deal.

I think we see the 'real' person when he posts after he's been to see the pre-season games in Austria the last few seasons. His posts are much more rational and pragmatic during those few days. I'm pretty sure 'Alpine Saint' the rest of the time is a character that he 'plays' in order to be as provocative as possible. Not a wind-up per se, more of a psychology project I would venture :) Would be a slightly less entertaining forum without him, that's for sure.