All things Labour Party

CHAPEL END CHARLIE

At 1/2 term I was in Belgium again, Flanders to be exact. I go on a regular basis as it's the heartland of cycling but also because of Ypres, Messines, Zonnebeke, Passchendale and countless other blood-soaked places.

When you ride around and see cemetery after cemetery, memorial after memorial, the thick clinging Flanders mud, the grey skies with a bitter wind cutting in off the sea you can't help but be moved and angry but the futility of it all.

At Tyne Cot there was a piped band with a lone piper playing a lament. The sound of the pipes drifting across the battlefield moved me to tears in a way I've not felt since I visited the Somme.

I'm ex-military, fought in a war, studied for a degree in history and I find it easy to attend remembrance parade to pay my respects to the fallen whilst hating war and those leaders who cause them.

I'm ex-military, fought in a war, studied for a degree in history and I find it easy to attend remembrance parade to pay my respects to the fallen whilst hating war and those leaders who cause them.

I suspect many, if not most, of the veterans at the Cenotaph feel the same way.

Good stuff Buctootim. Fingers in my ears so I didn't hear a letter from Corbyn. How about a proper statement of intent?

So you didnt follow the link I gave to watch the Sky news interview. Fingers in ears.

Heres another one if you arent good at googling.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/news/video-1229074/Jeremy-Corbyn-Paris-attack-us.html

Edited by buctootim

Wow whats up with you today? I changed it because the second Huffington post link didnt go directly to the video so I knew you would deny it existed. Tech phobe or disingenuous?

JC has spent years objecting to things when it doesn't matter. Now it does. He needs to accept that or relinquish the Labour Party leadership.

So you didnt follow the link I gave to watch the Sky news interview. Fingers in ears.

Heres another one if you arent good at googling.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/news/video-1229074/Jeremy-Corbyn-Paris-attack-us.html

I'm getting confused . I thought anything in the Daily Fail was horse shiete, lefties posting links to it. Strange times indeed.

There is a lot you can throw at Old Jezza ,from his incompantance , to the total abandonment of some " principles" . This however is not a stick to beat him with. The leader of the opposition can't go round spouting off and commenting every 5 minutes , if he did he'd be accused of making political capital out if it. Old Jezza has behaved perfectly respectfully and correctly at present , whether that continues if Cameron wants to go into Syria and bomb their medieval arses is another matter . As is his support for any additional powers our protectors want , but at the moment he's done nothing wrong .

There is a lot you can throw at Old Jezza ,from his incompantance , to the total abandonment of some " principles" . This however is not a stick to beat him with. The leader of the opposition can't go round spouting off and commenting every 5 minutes , if he did he'd be accused of making political capital out if it. Old Jezza has behaved perfectly respectfully and correctly at present , whether that continues if Cameron wants to go into Syria and bomb their medieval arses is another matter . As is his support for any additional powers our protectors want , but at the moment he's done nothing wrong .

Fair comment. I dont agree with a lot of his policies but the hysteria of taking offence at every tilt of his head, kiss of the hand, or sympathy with Paris is ludicrous.

Edited by buctootim

Fair comment. I dont agree with a lot of his policies but the hysteria of taking offence at every tilt of his head, kiss of the hand, or sympathy with Paris is ludicrous.

That's the modern social media society we live in now. Every little thing he (or any slightly newsworthy person) does these days will be on social media after 5 minutes so someone can take offence.

I put this on the Paris thread, but might be more relevant here...

Mr Corbyn was asked by BBC Political Editor Laura Kuenssberg whether he would be happy to order police or the military to shoot to kill if there was a similar attack on Britain's streets.

Mr Corbyn said: "I'm not happy with the shoot-to-kill policy in general - I think that is quite dangerous and I think can often can be counterproductive.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-34832023

Allowing terrorists to run amok, shooting people in restuarants and concert halls is "quite" dangerous too, you complete and utter bellend

I put this on the Paris thread, but might be more relevant here...

Mr Corbyn was asked by BBC Political Editor Laura Kuenssberg whether he would be happy to order police or the military to shoot to kill if there was a similar attack on Britain's streets.

Mr Corbyn said: "I'm not happy with the shoot-to-kill policy in general - I think that is quite dangerous and I think can often can be counterproductive.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-34832023

Allowing terrorists to run amok, shooting people in restuarants and concert halls is "quite" dangerous too, you complete and utter bellend

Try not to be so selective in your quoting :

"I think you have to have security that prevents people firing off weapons where you can, there are various degrees for doing things as we know.

But the idea you end up with a war on the streets is not a good thing."

This makes sense to me. How many Jean Charles de Menenzes' will the public tolerate ?

Plenty want fairer Britain but also want terrorists taken out and willingness to be tough with our enemy not always thinking they may be in the right. Respect Corbyn but Labour Party are going to haemorrhage votes whilst he is leader.

Ah MR Corbyn . The perfect leader who would rather get in to bed with the IRA and not the British Forces.

Yep let's drink tea and sandwiches with IS before they blow our heads off . You go first Mr Corbyn set the perfect example with these murdering scum before we follow you with your ideology

Do you not see that there is a difference in Shoot to Kill anybody you think is a terrorist and reacting to terrorists who are actually actively engaged in shooting.

Shoot to kill policies will cause so much more trouble like the Bloody Sunday shootings when innocent citizens are killed

Do you not see that there is a difference in Shoot to Kill anybody you think is a terrorist and reacting to terrorists who are actually actively engaged in shooting.

Shoot to kill policies will cause so much more trouble like the Bloody Sunday shootings when innocent citizens are killed

Exactly this. Meet deadly force with deadly force, but I never want Britain to become the kind of country where we shoot first just in case - like the US where a 12 year old with an airgun can get blown away.

Edited by buctootim

John B

It's not about killing just anybody . I think it's much clearer than that . If somebody is firing a klasnakov . Then you take the guy out . If your in hostage situation with a terrorist or a gunman you try to negotiate unless there is imminent danger like at the rock concert in Paris and then you just have storm the building .

Corbyn knew exactly what he was saying . Show the white flag

Oh and as for Bloody Sunday . . One day the real truth will come out re the IRA and they fired first . Yes some innocents were killed . But that is a typical IRA trait .

I don't think any mainstream politician would agree with a general shoot to kill policy.

The previous question related specifically to the attacks in Paris, regarding more police on the streets. The follow up question was about shoot-to-kill. It was obvious that the question wasn't about STK in general, but specific to an attack. The correct answer would have been that in principle he doesn't agree with STK, but under certain circumstances, like a terrorist attack, then he would have to consider giving the order if necessary.

He is not prepared to do so.

It's easy to sit on your principles on the back benches, but as PM, you sometimes have to make decisions that go against your principles for the greater good. It's called leadership.

As for his principles, he has sat down with Hamas, Hezbollah and the IRA to negotiate settlements. Why isn't he on the next flight to Syria, being a man of principle? Ah, he knows damn well they'll cut his head off and mail it back 1st class. So much for principles, eh???

The term Shoot to Kill is a media invention, the law allows the Police to use guns under very strict rules of engagement, and the fact that it is a rare event in the UK, despite being a major terrorist target leads me to believe we have it about right. Heaven help us if we ever end up like the US http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/jun/09/the-counted-police-killings-us-vs-other-countries.

He may have a few daft polices but he wont f**k up the country as much as the Tories are doing. I speak to a lot of Doctors and Teachers and the entire system is a farce. Teachers are now having to work 12 hours a day, I know at least 3. Regarding Doctors, we can kiss good by to many of our Doctors we have trained and paid for to Australia, again I personally know 2 have already bought 1 way tickets. It was Labour started free health care and the NHS and its the Tories who are selling it off.

As for Being worse or better of in an era, it depends on who you are what you were doing. Many coal miners I'm sure will disagree with you in the 80's when the north was truly F**ked over. I import many goods and services from China, and rest assured, we are all better off from this cheap labour abroad and we have all beniffited over the last 30 years from this. However, globalisation in the long term is failing, the UK can not afford to compete and we can only offer services as a growth area. Many of the other sectors are in recession and I see no way of turning this around in the short term.

Lastly, Robots, this is going to be the bigger than industrial revolution by a long way and will happen in a heart beat. Many jobs will go across the spectrum and will change how we live and work. Potentially **** could hit the fan and civil war will break out, but I doubt this will happen. The government will give everyone a guaranteed income to pay for services and food. Robots will carry out 70% of the work and everyone that wants to work, and where work is available, will be able to top up their income. Many academics think this will happen in about 15 years! So make the most of work while you can and then live a happy semi retirement.

My grandparents were very poor and lived on the breadline but under previous labour governments Wilson / Callaghan they were far worse off . The labour welfare state policies at the time did not help them. They had worked hard all there lives but revived little help apart from family and friends. Maybe under Blair and brown they might have been better off . We will never know as they both died before blair came to power But under old old labour regime . They got little or no support . Instead they just got on with their life's the best they could . They were proud people when they were alive

Corbyn - no thank you .

He may have a few daft polices but he wont f**k up the country as much as the Tories are doing. I speak to a lot of Doctors and Teachers and the entire system is a farce. Teachers are now having to work 12 hours a day, I know at least 3. Regarding Doctors, we can kiss good by to many of our Doctors we have trained and paid for to Australia, again I personally know 2 have already bought 1 way tickets. It was Labour started free health care and the NHS and its the Tories who are selling it off.

As for Being worse or better of in an era, it depends on who you are what you were doing. Many coal miners I'm sure will disagree with you in the 80's when the north was truly F**ked over. I import many goods and services from China, and rest assured, we are all better off from this cheap labour abroad and we have all beniffited over the last 30 years from this. However, globalisation in the long term is failing, the UK can not afford to compete and we can only offer services as a growth area. Many of the other sectors are in recession and I see no way of turning this around in the short term.

Lastly, Robots, this is going to be the bigger than industrial revolution by a long way and will happen in a heart beat. Many jobs will go across the spectrum and will change how we live and work. Potentially **** could hit the fan and civil war will break out, but I doubt this will happen. The government will give everyone a guaranteed income to pay for services and food. Robots will carry out 70% of the work and everyone that wants to work, and where work is available, will be able to top up their income. Many academics think this will happen in about 15 years! So make the most of work while you can and then live a happy semi retirement.

:lol::lol::lol:

Exactly this. Meet deadly force with deadly force, but I never want Britain to become the kind of country where we shoot first just in case - like the US where a 12 year old with an airgun can get blown away.

It's simple. Shooting terrorists during a terrorist attack may be right to stop the attack, shooting them when there is a possibility of arresting them is wrong.

The sad thing is Corbyn is not capable of articulating things simply and clearly, because he has never needed to in his career as a backbench rebel, and nobody much was listening anyway.