Saints tabling a €16m bid for Schalke and Germany midfielder Leon Goretzka?

Saint-Armstrong

They can't compete with Southampton on wages ?

Sorry didn't explain myself well there at all, yes Schalke are huge and compete with Saints of course, but for his squad status there to here I would imagine it would be more as I would guess he would be a first teamer here.

11 stone for 6ft 2 must have legs like Peter Crouch. I'm same height and dread to think what I'd look like if lost 5 stone.

Just imagine he's like you, but with less fat belly sticking out

Yeah Evander Holyfield and Frank Bruno had to lose 3 stone to avoid flagging on the NHS obesity scale.

2 stone underweight would be, erm......better?

Sorry Evander

Never heard of him

This. Although am already readying myself to be utterly furious if we don't sign him. I mean, like, Marcus Rojo and everything.

The whole thing feels a bit like an agent flushing out either a) a new contract for his lad or b) another club to come in. At this point I am not buying it but we'll see.

I think Bild translates to picture, which probably makes it Germany's version of The Sun.

Bild is a joke of paper in Germany, although very popular. In the past it's had pictures of topless women on the front page. Think of a combo between the Sun/the Star and the Sport. Nothing to see here...

Bild is a joke of paper in Germany, although very popular. In the past it's had pictures of topless women on the front page. Think of a combo between the Sun/the Star and the Sport. Nothing to see here...

Lazyliegenschweinhund scumbagstein journalists, yes?

Sounds much like what Les has said in the past about Clyne, Morgan, Lallana, Lovren, Shaw, Chambers and probably others.

Yep it could of course be posturing, but Neuer aside I don't think Schalke have sold any of their best players in the recent past and Juventus are having a hard time getting the Draxler deal done. It's hard to buy Schalke players that they wish to keep.

Hey, Celtic, we're really after this bloke. Honest. And we will pay the fee. Really. And they will sell. Deffo.

But we will take VVD if you want for much less.

This guys a midfielder and van dyke is a centre back so don't know what you're on about.

Seems too good to be true this one. Fingers nonetheless crossed.

why is it too good to be true?

Yep. In a par with the likes of ramirez in terms of reputation.

I just find it odd how people are calling this too good to be true and amazing etc

It's about the level of signing I'd expect from us.

In FM terms (;)) he'd have the highest potential ability of any of our players by a large distance. Its so high in fact, that if he reached it, it would make him one of the best players in the world.

Tony Cascarino on SSN would be impressed when he analyses him using the FM database...

CLjm1ukWoAApu_i.jpg:large

Edited by Matthew Le God

I just find it odd how people are calling this too good to be true and amazing etc

A year or so ago this guy was up there with Draxler and Gotze in terms of german reputation. He was wanted by everyone when he was at Bochum (i think). Tipped to be the next Bastian by many, but is seemingly prone to muscle injuries. He only played 10 games (3starts) last year. If we feel we can get him at a 'cut price' fee because of this, and we believe our fitness/sports science will get to the bottom of last years issues, then it's a true no brainer.

A year or so ago this guy was up there with Draxler and Gotze in terms of german reputation. He was wanted by everyone when he was at Bochum (i think). Tipped to be the next Bastian by many, but is seemingly prone to muscle injuries. He only played 10 games (3starts) last year. If we feel we can get him at a 'cut price' fee because of this, and we believe our fitness/sports science will get to the bottom of last years issues, then it's a true no brainer.

not trying to be flippant, but can you give us a few links that suggest that.

we have our very own JWP built up as the next 'Lampard'.....would Schalke fans think he would be too good to be true?

not trying to be flippant, but can you give us a few links that suggest that.

we have our very own JWP built up as the next 'Lampard'.....would Schalke fans think he would be too good to be true?

Just because others have heard of a player that you haven't doesn't mean you have to act like a tit. I've not heard of the chap either but I'm not going to demand evidence from each and every poster that they have heard of him. You could always try reading up on him, although I understand why that may be a struggle.

You need to find a talk sport link or he won't be interested.

as said, James Ward-Prowse is set to be the next lampard according to the internet

I wonder if schalke fans would be in 'amazement' if they were linked with him..?

Just because others have heard of a player that you haven't doesn't mean you have to act like a tit. I've not heard of the chap either but I'm not going to demand evidence from each and every poster that they have heard of him. You could always try reading up on him, although I understand why that may be a struggle.

hey our resident watford/united/liverpool/saints fan is here

Gerrard was a bit of an injury prone lanky midfielder at around 20. Doubt he weighed much more than about 11 stone at that age and he filled out ok and was generally ok with injuries.

There is injury prone as in has a dodgy knee and then there is a 20 year old who is still growing and fleshing out.

I'd wage this fellow is in the latter.

Thing is if he as much of a hot property as the articles etc. make out, then I can't see that fee being right or us really being big enough to attract him. Unless we can splurge more wages than Shalke which I doubt or the kid wants more first team football and wants that in the premier league.

But then this guy has all the hallmarks of an Arsenal signing more than us.

I would go with the suggestion someone had above, our scout was at a Shalke game a few times for whatever reason, the player wants more money/a move to a big club and his agent has fabricated the line to get some interest.

as said, James Ward-Prowse is set to be the next lampard according to the internet

I wonder if schalke fans would be in 'amazement' if they were linked with him..?

I haven't seen any articles stating JWP to be Lampard, where are these articles?