CONFIRMED - Oriol Romeu joins on 3-Year Deal

Saint-Armstrong

Could this infer we have given up on VVD ? Lets not forget we already signed Caulker

I think it depends on how the club rate Stephens, Turnbull & McCarthy - no point in us going out to sign a young CB who could block their progress should we deem that they have good enough potential. I think Yoshida's earned the right with his performances over the last couple of years to have a decent run in the team alongside Fonte, and Caulker is solid enough to step in should either of them get injured. I think we'd be fine with the above for this season, and we can re-evaluate in the summer depending on how our youngsters do this season on their respective loans and game time in the U21s.

Should be a very good acquisition if true, and strengthens that area of the squad that looked a little thin. It would also allow more rotation of the centre midfielders which I think is crucial given the prospect of more midweek matches. The only downside is that Reed will get less playing time and his development may be hindered.

Should be a very good acquisition if true, and strengthens that area of the squad that looked a little thin. It would also allow more rotation of the centre midfielders which I think is crucial given the prospect of more midweek matches. The only downside is that Reed will get less playing time and his development may be hindered.

Reed drops down the pecking order a bit but the number of games we get hopefully means he should still get enough games to continue developing.

I think it depends on how the club rate Stephens, Turnbull & McCarthy - no point in us going out to sign a young CB who could block their progress should we deem that they have good enough potential. I think Yoshida's earned the right with his performances over the last couple of years to have a decent run in the team alongside Fonte, and Caulker is solid enough to step in should either of them get injured. I think we'd be fine with the above for this season, and we can re-evaluate in the summer depending on how our youngsters do this season on their respective loans and game time in the U21s.

We still need another CB.

If we are taking this guy can we get Chelsea's doctor as well appears she has incurred the wrath of the special one. Always think the medical team is very important at any club and she looks good..........................at her ermmm job

I strongly second this proposal......:)

We still need another CB.

So how would you plan on rotating Fonte, Yoshida, Stephens, Turnbull, McCarthy, possibly Caulker AND a new CB next season? I don't want to see us become another club like Chelsea where we just farm our young players out on loan - we take risks on involving our kids in the first team and I think that's why we won't sign another CB as we'll give that opportunity to at least one of the 3 we have coming through now.

The Cork replacement. Plays like him in exactly the same way as far as I can see.

I got bored of watching him play safe passes after about 3 minutes of the video, was about to complain that the video didn't show any clips of him marking, pressing or closing down generally, nor winning the ball or intercepting, before I realised just how tedious that would have been to watch.

I'll reserve opinion until I've seen him once, and then again on a few more matches, and keep revising it depending on how things change, but I'm totally in favour of us trying to get him. :D

TBF when people post old threads with Alps comments he seems to go through the same Cycle every year for the past 7-8 years, much like Arsenals 'Title Cycle'

WHY AREN'T WE SIGNING ANYONE FFS>WOW WE'VE SIGNED SOMEONE>WE NEED MORE SIGNINGS>SIGNINGS ARE ****>WOW SIGINGS ARE ACTUALLY REALLY GOOD> WE MIGHT GET TOP 4 (OR PROMOTION/WIN THE LEAGUE) IF WE CARRY ON>OH NO WE'VE ****ED IT UP SHOULD OF SIGNED A SOMEONE IN JANUARY>ALL OUR BEST PLAYERS ARE LEAVING>WHY HAVEN'T WE SIGNED ANYONE FFS>WOW WE'VE SIGNED SOMEONE.....................

So how would you plan on rotating Fonte, Yoshida, Stephens, Turnbull, McCarthy, possibly Caulker AND a new CB next season? I don't want to see us become another club like Chelsea where we just farm our young players out on loan - we take risks on involving our kids in the first team and I think that's why we won't sign another CB as we'll give that opportunity to at least one of the 3 we have coming through now.

I don't think there's any chance of us becoming anything like Chelsea with such a ridiculously bloated squad, and let's not forget that Yoshida wasn't rated by most on here as a starting XI quality CB last season and he did make a lot of mistakes - there has been a sea-change of opinion regarding his quality on here and also remember that Caulker is only here for a season atm.....

You forget Gardos. There is not going to be room for everyone, as you say. Caulker I think is a bit of a punt, particularly as he has not loaned and not signed. He will have to really impress if he is to get a deal, and I think was more brought in as the Carling Cup, bench option, rather than as a guaranteed starter. I do think we need a definite starter centre back this season as well

Stephens, Turnbull and McCarthy have to prove themselves worthy of a first team place first. The fact that they are on loan at Swindon and Boro suggests they aren't.

Caulker is just a loan until Gardos is fit as far as I can tell.

Fonte will turn 33 next season, he's getting to the age where we need to start thinking about a long term replacement.

TBF when people post old threads with Alps comments he seems to go through the same Cycle every year for the past 7-8 years, much like Arsenals 'Title Cycle'

WHY AREN'T WE SIGNING ANYONE FFS>WOW WE'VE SIGNED SOMEONE>WE NEED MORE SIGNINGS>SIGNINGS ARE ****>WOW SIGINGS ARE ACTUALLY REALLY GOOD> WE MIGHT GET TOP 4 (OR PROMOTION/WIN THE LEAGUE) IF WE CARRY ON>OH NO WE'VE ****ED IT UP SHOULD OF SIGNED A SOMEONE IN JANUARY>ALL OUR BEST PLAYERS ARE LEAVING>WHY HAVEN'T WE SIGNED ANYONE FFS>WOW WE'VE SIGNED SOMEONE.....................

:lol: I'd rather be passionate and emotional about it than sitting on the fence the whole time like some nameless on here who continually try to occupy the moral high-ground.

Not sure that I really say all our signings are sh*t, btw..

I am quite excited by this signing its exactly what we need. I remember him playing at Chelsea and was impressed - height, defensive can fill in at centre back.

Has had a few injuries but you don't play for Barca, Chelsea, Valencia and Stuttgart if you are sh1te.

A midfield of Vic, Romeu and Clasie would give us a great platform.

Bertrand and Cedric giving us width and with our options of the 5 forwards we look very good on paper.

Romeu' date=' Romeu, wherefore art thou Romeu?[/quote']

Having a medical apparently

Ha! One of the most misunderstood Shakespeare quotes.

In the context, 'wherefore?' actually roughly translates as 'why?'. (Juliet is musing about why she had to fall in love with Romeo as opposed to someone more 'suitable'. She is not, as many would believe, leaning over the balcony and asking where he is).

Anyway, back to football, Romeu was very highly regarded by a lot of Chelsea fans and many were sad to see him go. Seems like a very canny signing. Definitely good to get some physical strength in the midfield.

In the context, 'wherefore?' actually roughly translates as 'why?'. (Juliet is musing about why she had to fall in love with Romeo as opposed to someone more 'suitable'. She is not, as many would believe, leaning over the balcony and asking where he is).

Anyway, back to football, Romeu was very highly regarded by a lot of Chelsea fans and many were sad to see him go. Seems like a very canny signing. Definitely good to get some physical strength in the midfield.

Ah, so now ScepticalBard

I'm still trying to figure out how A Midsummer Night's Dream qualifies as a comedy.

I am quite excited by this signing its exactly what we need. I remember him playing at Chelsea and was impressed - height, defensive can fill in at centre back.

Has had a few injuries but you don't play for Barca, Chelsea, Valencia and Stuttgart if you are sh1te.

A midfield of Vic, Romeu and Clasie would give us a great platform.

Bertrand and Cedric giving us width and with our options of the 5 forwards we look very good on paper.

:badger::badger::badger:

Spoken to a few of my Chelski supporting mates and they all say that he is a good player, who should have been given more of a chance after his injury. But since Matic has come back there wasn't really any place for him, plus he was a AVB player which apparantly has been an issue for some players since the 'Special One' returned.

One of my mates did actually say that is pretty difficult to track who is doing what and where sometimes due to the sheer number of players on loan. 23 according to wiki!...with a further 26 in the u21 or reserves (inc. Romeu)

The kids aren't ready yet. Our reputation for giving young players chances seems to be almost exclusively for attacking-minded players (I'm including Shaw and Chambers in that); CB and GK are positions where you can't afford to be bullied around - a mistake could easily equal an opposition goal - and players tend to keep getting better with age. Look at Terry and Fonte, two of the best CBs in the league. If Turnbull were playing CB against Man City or somebody then there's a good chance he wouldn't have the physicality or experience to deal with their attackers and end up making mistakes, causing us to concede goals and for his confidence to go down the pan.

Young attacking players, great, the more the merrier. Young CBs/GKs - get them out on loan until they're ready.

WHY AREN'T WE SIGNING ANYONE FFS>WOW WE'VE SIGNED SOMEONE>WE NEED MORE SIGNINGS>SIGNINGS ARE ****>WOW SIGNINGS ARE ACTUALLY REALLY GOOD> WE MIGHT GET TOP 4 (OR PROMOTION/WIN THE LEAGUE) IF WE CARRY ON>OH NO WE'VE ****ED IT UP SHOULD OF SIGNED A SOMEONE IN JANUARY>ALL OUR BEST PLAYERS ARE LEAVING>WHY HAVEN'T WE SIGNED ANYONE FFS>WOW WE'VE SIGNED SOMEONE.....................

Nicely summarised.