CONFIRMED - Oriol Romeu joins on 3-Year Deal

Saint-Armstrong

Long awaited? How many games would Cork have got last season? How many if VW, Morgan, JWP, Harrison Reid and Steve Davis fit? If any.

I would be disappointed if we weren't signing players better than Cork now.

As the season played out, with Wanyama's suspension and Schneiderlin's injury, holding onto Cork almost certainly would have put us in fifth place and could have put us in fourth place. The additional income for finishing fifth would have basically covered the transfer fee we received for him.

As the season played out, with Wanyama's suspension and Schneiderlin's injury, holding onto Cork almost certainly would have put us in fifth place and could have put us in fourth place. The additional income for finishing fifth would have basically covered the transfer fee we received for him.

What nonsense...how on earth can you make that judgement when you don't even know Koeman would have picked him.

janujag is left footed, 5 foot 11 and not getting games for Utd. Could be him. Fits our profile.

Exciting player but lacks end product.

He'd be great, but I'm guessing Guan means central when he says "LCM".

Vilhena fits the bill to the description, only he's been linked before.

Looking forward to seeing this young lad play. Just the position we needed (along with CB) for me and just because he struggled to get in the Chelsea team does not mean anything, they have a terrible record of bringing through players. Sturridge, Lukaku, Matric, De bryne (sps?),,, all left Chelsea to get game time.

The "he'll be at liverpool in X years" jokes have started...they became stale quick

almost as bad as the walcott/ox/gibbs jokes

What joke? It's our business model, if he is any good we will shift him on before his contract is up.

Sorry if that doesn't fit in with your world view.

What I said a few days ago on here and I reckon the guy I spoke too knew something.

A top midfielder with premiership experience - check

Van Dijk coming to Saints is pretty obvious - check

A loan signing as Guan has mentioned tonight - Was certainly linked with the Manchester Utd kid a good year ago and the black box would of picked up on what he is capable of producing back then just like Romeu, problem is he would not be a stronger version of Steven Davis.

PS Why did we not wrapped up the Romeu deal earlier as he has been playing reserve team football for a while (saw his twitter account)

Did we miss out on the Stoke signing yesterday and then went for the next option?

Latest snippet I've heard, Celtic are trying to get a Scandinavian CB in so that Van Dijk can leave. We are after a loan signing plus a top midfielder with premiership experience.

This loan signing is the one

I would just like to say I suggested we could or should sign Romeu on loan in the HCDAJFU thread back on the 25 July - see above. At least someone listens to my advice - and if he turns out to be a brilliant signing I am taking all the credit.

Not ITK - but maybe visionary :-)

I always thought he would be s good signing as he has a good pedigree from Barcelona and Chelsea - and in the last two years at Valencia and Stuttgart has proved he is over the injuries that put a bit of a stop to his career at Chelsea.

He's also the right age - at 23 old enough to play regularly with enough experience to add something to the team - but also young enough to still learn and get better - and with a lot of potential to become great.

He's also a proper holding midfielder who will sit in front of the defence and hold the line - he is also a good solid passer of the ball. And he has also got some of the height and physical presence we have been missing in CDM.

Of course if he sh*te I will come back and delete this post!

And I don't think he will block Reed's route to the first - I see our Harrison as more of a hard working box-to-box CM than a holding midfielder or a Paul Scholes playmaker. If it is anyone with Ginger hair he's like its Alan Bsll - but he has a long way to go to live up to him. He's more of a successor to Steven Davis than anyone else in the current team.

A midfield 3 of Clasie, Romeu and Wanyama would look like a very solid base to build on and get a result against the top sides in the Premier league and hopefully the Europa League

That Italian u21 player? Scored against England in the u21 Euros? He played left side.....

Benassi?

Supposedly we made an offer for him just after U21 Euros and the buyout of the 50% share Inter had in him by his current club Torino.

I thought he was right sided CM - capable of playing box-to-box or as a CDM though.

Him and Domenico Berardi are best mates though so we might as well sign him as well :-) Two for one deal!?

This is pure supposition and I'm pretty sure it's also complete arse.

With Romeu and possibly van Dijk they'd be a good amount of depth to the squad...

Goalkeepers

Stekelenburg

Forster (long term injury)

Gazzaniga

K.Davis

Right backs

Cedric

Martina

Left backs

Bertrand

Targett

Centre backs

Fonte

van Dijk?

Caulker

Yoshida

Gardos (long term injury)

Central midfield

Wanyama

Clasie

Romeu

S.Davis

Ward-Prowse

Reed

Attacking players

Pelle

Mane

Rodriguez

Tadic

Juanmi

Long

Plus some promising under 21 players if needed.

*there'd ;)

It's funny, I had a feeling last night that a signing might be announced today. This looks like a good bit of business and further more, it demonstrates how the club conduct their business behind the scenes and out of the eyes of the press. Log onto the Sky website and you'll see pretty much every club in the Premiership linked with different players on a daily basis, but Saints are the one club that you don't tend to hear too many rumours about. This is another fine example of this. I don't think we've been linked with Romeu in any press articles? The first we've heard of this is on the day that he's having a medical and is set to sign. This also demonstrates how we shouldn't get all panicky when every other club is being linked with players and we're not. Just because we're not on the back pages being linked with players doesn't mean that we're not working behind the scenes to bring people in.

I thought most people should know this already from last summer? Some people just don't seem to learn

Good signing this.

I want to add my thumbs up. Looks a great signing, and the Newcastle game just highlighted our need for a player like Romeu. Those all touch videos don't lie - he can play. Impressed with his skilled-with-both feet attribute.

This is pure supposition and I'm pretty sure it's also complete arse.

It isn't much of a reach to say that we'd have done better with Alderweireld in defence than Yoshida, or Cork in midfielder instead of Alderweireld. I completely subscribe to this view, hindsight being what it is and all.

On football manager he is / was an excellent player. But his record over the past years is not promising. He played very few games and couldn't impress in his loan spells to Stuttgart and Valencia. I think Saints would have been better off with Cork. Cork is an underestimated player in my opinion. Does nothing special on the pitch but a very useful player. Was excellent backup to Schneiderlin and Wanyama.

Besides Romeu I also have doubts about Cuco Martina. He was quite a poor player at FC Twente. And in Holland everyone was surprised that Saints came in for him. Looked like Cuco couldn't believe it himself either.

I hope Saints will do well again. Looks like the squad depth will be very good, that's important.

Played 27 of 34 League games for Stuttgart last season, plays in a position where stopping anything interesting happening is basically your job, I'm fine with him "not impressing", Schneiderlin managed to go undetected for a year in Championship and 18 months in the Prem so it's not the easiest position to track.

As for Cuco, he was absolute garbage at left back in his debut in Salzburg but since then looked competent at right back in Arnhem and solid enough against Newcastle in the half he got despite Cédric getting run ragged in the same position first half. He's no Clyne, he's probably not even a Cédric, but he's done alright so far.

As for Cuco, he was absolute garbage at left back in his debut in Salzburg but since then looked competent at right back in Arnhem and solid enough against Newcastle in the half he got despite Cédric getting run ragged in the same position first half. He's no Clyne, he's probably not even a Cédric, but he's done alright so far.

How big do you think the quality gap is between Clyne and Cedric?

How big do you think the quality gap is between Clyne and Cedric?

Too soon to properly judge so far but one would assume the Portuguese top division is not going to be as testing as the premier league which clyne dealt with extremely well going forwards and defensively for 3 seasons. I wouldn't expect him to be as good as Clyne at defending when he left straight away but he will hopefully improve

I, with many other Dutchmen, expected Cuco to really be a flop in the premier league. And the fact that he only got a two year contract is a sign of a lack of confidence in his ability.

But on the other hand the Koemans see things very well. So if they think he is up to it, they might well be right.

Despite Alderweireld, Schneiderlin and Clyne leaving, Saints still have a nice squad with exciting players imo. I think they might go very far in the Europa League. That would be awesome.

It isn't much of a reach to say that we'd have done better with Alderweireld in defence than Yoshida, or Cork in midfielder instead of Alderweireld. I completely subscribe to this view, hindsight being what it is and all.

Except the "reach" is the pointless assertion that if nothing bad happened to us in the season we'd have finished in X position.

Jack Cork didn't shoot Swansea above us when they had us in their sights last season, after all.

1 of 2. I can also confirm that we have enquired about a LCM (3rd player)on loan, but our initial offer was turned down. Whether we'll go back in for the same player, or move on, I have have no news just yet.

Hmmm, not sure if we need another CM. If we do get another one in, then surely Reed would benefit from a seasons loan somewhere? He'll hardly get any games!

As we missed out on fifth mainly because we stopped scoring, I'm not sure how Cork would have helped with that.

Just a simple question on Romeu, why did it take us so long to bring him to the club?

He has been playing in the Chelsea reserves for about 3 weeks, did we get another knock back as Koeman hinted a new signing weeks ago.

I think you are looking into things a little too deeply... he probably wanted to make absolutely sure that Mourinho did not have him in his plans before he committed elsewhere - he must have been on a decent wedge at Chelsea after all..

Personally, this could be a real coup for us - A very capable and talented young holding midfielder with an excellent apprenticeship record behind him.. He could certainly end up every bit as good as Morgan.

Welcome to the club Oriol.

I don't personally feel happy saying £5 million for a person is a bargain, but in today's football world this is a fantastic signing by the club for a great price too.

Hopefully he will fulfil his potential with us. There is no better club out there for a player to showcase their talents, and well done yet again to the club for getting the deal over the line.

I, with many other Dutchmen, expected Cuco to really be a flop in the premier league. And the fact that he only got a two year contract is a sign of a lack of confidence in his ability.

But on the other hand the Koemans see things very well. So if they think he is up to it, they might well be right.

Despite Alderweireld, Schneiderlin and Clyne leaving, Saints still have a nice squad with exciting players imo. I think they might go very far in the Europa League. That would be awesome.

That's the thing, some players really don't suit certain leagues (Di maria is class but didn't like it here, same as many other great players - Forlan is another one off the top of my head) and maybe - I hope - that Cuco Martina may not be great in Dutch Football but actually OK here in England! :p

I'm a life long Saints fan currently living in Stuttgart. As they are now my local team, I watched VfB Stuttgart fairly regularly last season and work with quite a few season ticket holders. They don't rate him, at all. In fact they were astonished when I told them Saints had signed him. He lost his starting place around the mid-season break last year and was a bit part player from then on. For context, VfB were bottom of the league for most of the season, surviving only by winning their final three games, (of which Romeu played a total of 2 minutes). Don't want to sound overly negative (especially in my first ever post!) just giving an honest appraisal of his form for Stuttgart last season. He clearly has pedigree from earlier in his career, and I'll be delighted if he can prove my VfB supporting colleagues wrong.

I'm a life long Saints fan currently living in Stuttgart. As they are now my local team' date=' I watched VfB Stuttgart fairly regularly last season and work with quite a few season ticket holders. They don't rate him, at all. In fact they were astonished when I told them Saints had signed him. He lost his starting place around the mid-season break last year and was a bit part player from then on. For context, VfB were bottom of the league for most of the season, surviving only by winning their final three games, (of which Romeu played a total of 2 minutes). Don't want to sound overly negative (especially in my first ever post!) just giving an honest appraisal of his form for Stuttgart last season. He clearly has pedigree from earlier in his career, and I'll be delighted if he can prove my VfB supporting colleagues wrong.[/quote']

I take heart from the thought that under the Saints trainng and coaching system players can improve beyond all recognition. I am sure that we buy players for what they may become, not necessarily what they are now.

'We don't just buy success, we breed it.'